Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aug 2024 Transfer Window Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• sam3110 said:

Not a very Millwall like signing
    1 in 4 in the Serbian PL, doesn't scream "championship striker" to me
    Their very own Polish Pete ... with luck.
  • Laddick01 said:
    Spending 10m on a striker in League One isn't just irresponsible, it's stupid.

So many CB's in the league will be relishing the chance to clear him out I'm sure. It'll be interesting to see how quickly he gets injured.
    More like 15m rising to 20m, which is mental.
  • sam3110 said:
    fenaddick said:
    6.5/10 seems harsh considering we’ve won 3/3 with Berry, Doherty, Adahme, Edwards, Mannion all starting. That’s almost half the side.
    Yeah it's been a decent window, and a very decent start, but I still think we could have done more, and as the season goes on we may struggle with fatigue and squad depth. Couple of injuries, and we are a bit bare bones, particularly at the back.

Of course it's subjective, as if we win promotion, I'll say it's a 10. Just a bit of guesswork. I'd lean more towards 7 I guess, which is probably a bit more fair. 
    5 CB's, 3 LWB's (generous to Edun I know, Edwards can also play LCB) and 3 RWB's (Ramsay played RCB in preseason, Asiimwe has played on the left before) isn't particularly bare bones. Ideally we'd have 1 more natural LCB so we had 2 players for each position but bare bones is a bit of a stretch. In fact across the whole squad the only position that doesn't have 2 set players is the 6 and Doc, REG and Z Mitchell can all cover there
    It is the quality of the replacements though. If Gassan and Godden come off the pitch, Leaburn and Aneke will replace them, that's very strong at this level. 

In midfield, Taylor, Campbell and Anderson, as rotation options is very decent.

I don't feel the same way about defense. If we lost Mitchell or Jones, no one is ready to step up and replace what they offer imo, if Kayne gets injured or suspended, Tennai isn't near his level. I felt very comfortable about the left flank, until Edwards got injured, may take a while to get him back up to speed. 

The goalie situation, we don't really know enough about Mannion yet. My instinct tells me, he's gonna be good for us, but I genuinely felt MacGillivray would be top drawer, and he obviously wasn't.. 

If Kayne, Mitchell or Jones come off, their replacements aren't up to much.

It may seem negative, but that's just my honest thoughts. As I've said multiple times about Charlton in league 1, we don't need men for a job, we need men for THE job, and that's promotion. 

Hopefully none of this matters and we are lucky with injuries 👍🏻
    Tbh though I seriously doubt any side in League has 11 top drawer players and another 11 of equal quality to step in if need be, even Birmingham and all their millions. 

If we sign Potts and have to rely on an emergency keeper loan, so be it, but our squad overall is in a better place than it has been in arguably a decade
    It's not about them being top drawer though, it's about them being good enough to be rotation options. I believe some of our squad would struggle to look good in poor league1 sides. 

Similar to Hector, Terell, Fiorini etc, when they leave us, they'll struggle to make an impact at a league 1 side, or even struggle to land a contract at one. 

Of course the squad is in a better place than the majority of seasons, that's not that difficult if we are honest though. I don't think there is an argument to be made that it's as good as the 18/19 squad, not yet anyway. That team was championship ready except maybe 2 or 3 players, I don't see that in this squad yet. That squad got 88 points, arguably would have got more had we kept Grant. If this team can replicate that, then there is an argument for it, until then, it's all guess work and theories.

It's definitely a decent window, but it could have been better, so a 6.5/7 is about right for me imo. Subject to change of course, similar to being compared to the 18/19 squad.
    Hindsight’s a wonderful thing in football because until the last third of the season a lot of fans were moaning about that team too especially at the beginning, this squad has stronger overall I’d say with better options off the bench.
  • Yann897 said:
    sam3110 said:
    fenaddick said:
    6.5/10 seems harsh considering we’ve won 3/3 with Berry, Doherty, Adahme, Edwards, Mannion all starting. That’s almost half the side.
    Yeah it's been a decent window, and a very decent start, but I still think we could have done more, and as the season goes on we may struggle with fatigue and squad depth. Couple of injuries, and we are a bit bare bones, particularly at the back.

Of course it's subjective, as if we win promotion, I'll say it's a 10. Just a bit of guesswork. I'd lean more towards 7 I guess, which is probably a bit more fair. 
    5 CB's, 3 LWB's (generous to Edun I know, Edwards can also play LCB) and 3 RWB's (Ramsay played RCB in preseason, Asiimwe has played on the left before) isn't particularly bare bones. Ideally we'd have 1 more natural LCB so we had 2 players for each position but bare bones is a bit of a stretch. In fact across the whole squad the only position that doesn't have 2 set players is the 6 and Doc, REG and Z Mitchell can all cover there
    It is the quality of the replacements though. If Gassan and Godden come off the pitch, Leaburn and Aneke will replace them, that's very strong at this level. 

I don't feel the same way about defense. If we lost Mitchell or Jones, no one is ready to step up and replace what they offer imo, if Kayne gets injured or suspended, Tennai isn't near his level. I felt very comfortable about the left flank, until Edwards got injured, may take a while to get him back up to speed. 

The goalie situation, we don't really know enough about Mannion yet. My instinct tells me, he's gonna be good for us, but I genuinely felt MacGillivray would be top drawer, and he obviously wasn't.. 

It may seem negative, but that's just my honest thoughts. As I've said multiple times about Charlton in league 1, we don't need men for a job, we need men for THE job, and that's promotion. 

Tbh though I seriously doubt any side in League has 11 top drawer players and another 11 of equal quality to step in if need be, even Birmingham and all their millions. 

If we sign Potts and have to rely on an emergency keeper loan, so be it, but our squad overall is in a better place than it has been in arguably a decade
    It's not about them being top drawer though, it's about them being good enough to be rotation options. I believe some of our squad would struggle to look good in poor league1 sides. 

Similar to Hector, Terell, Fiorini etc, when they leave us, they'll struggle to make an impact at a league 1 side, or even struggle to land a contract at one. 

Of course the squad is in a better place than the majority of seasons, that's not that difficult if we are honest though. I don't think there is an argument to be made that it's as good as the 18/19 squad, not yet anyway. That team was championship ready except maybe 2 or 3 players, I don't see that in this squad yet. That squad got 88 points, arguably would have got more had we kept Grant. If this team can replicate that, then there is an argument for it, until then, it's all guess work and theories.

It's definitely a decent window, but it could have been better, so a 6.5/7 is about right for me imo. Subject to change of course, similar to being compared to the 18/19 squad.
    Hindsight’s a wonderful thing in football because until the last third of the season a lot of fans were moaning about that team too especially at the beginning, this squad has stronger overall I’d say with better options off the bench.
    We’ve got more depth now but the 18/19 starting 11 was better than what we have now. Realistically I’d only have Berry, Edwards and maybe Ramsay into that 11 (plus Godden/Leaburn if we are looking at the second half of the season team vs Josh Parker) 
  • Just wondering who we can sell to Birmingham for ridiculous money in January?
  • sam3110 said:
    fenaddick said:

Our 18/19 team was great. How is it we didn't go up through the autos? Excuse me, my memory is pitiful
    We could barely name a full bench to start the season, so started a bit slow. Without that we’d have won the league and were the best team in the league from September onwards once we’d done our recruitment 
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Do you know what though, given all the money Brum have spent. I would still have our strikeforce over theirs any day! 
    cafc_se7 said:
    Do you know what though, given all the money Brum have spent. I would still have our strikeforce over theirs any day! 
    I agree,we have strikers who run their legs off to close down defenders,when leaburn returns we will have 6 strikers ,they can be rotated and rested.Chucks and Kanu coming on late in the game will cause problems for any tiring side,a fit Miles Leaburn will cause problems for anyone.I think Birmingham will implode under the pressure to go up first time,if they spend more than one season in league 1 they are in trouble.
  • sam3110 said:

Not a very Millwall like signing
    1 in 4 in the Serbian PL, doesn't scream "championship striker" to me
    All screams Slobodan Tedič to me. Much younger too and going to be chucked in at the deep end in front of their discerning fans, known for their patience and tolerance.

What could possibly go wrong? 
  • Sponsored links:

• I'm sure the EFL (or rather the clubs in the EFL) will change the rules to prevent Birmingham style spending in L1. Ludicrous when the biggest fee in the EFL ever is in L1.
  • ButtleJR said:
    That's Alfie fucked as they play with one striker lol
    Apparently Stansfield likes to play wider so he'll play off Alfie. Which in some ways makes the fee madder for someone you're putting out wide
  • edited August 31
    ButtleJR said:
    That's Alfie fucked as they play with one striker lol
    Apparently Stansfield likes to play wider so he'll play off Alfie. Which in some ways makes the fee madder for someone you're putting out wide
    Surely Dykes will be the central striker, as neither May nor Stansfield offer much physical presence?
  • At least Birmingham has given everyone something to talk about, all very quiet for us though, which is nice and strange at the same time....🤔
  • Shame we couldn't shift on the players that won't get a game. Even though Jones talks about 'everyone being important throughout a long season'. What he is clear on, is that he likes a small squad, so that the band of brothers mentality can develop become tight group of lads and have everyone's back.

With a bloated squad, some will know full well (because Jones will have told them) that they are not in his plans, however they will still probably (or will they) be required to come in at every training session and like the squad players, give it their all. This may create some disharmony, which Jones wants to avoid at all costs.

Time will tell but the weakest links in the 'Jones plan' may just be those off the pitch rather than on! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Shame we couldn't shift on the players that won't get a game. Even though Jones talks about 'everyone being important throughout a long season'. What he is clear on, is that he likes a small squad, so that the band of brothers mentality can develop become tight group of lads and have everyone's back.

With a bloated squad, some will know full well (because Jones will have told them) that they are not in his plans, however they will still probably (or will they) be required to come in at every training session and like the squad players, give it their all. This may create some disharmony, which Jones wants to avoid at all costs.

Time will tell but the weakest links in the 'Jones plan' may just be those off the pitch rather than on! 
    We'll have a strong side for the EFL Trophy...
  • It all rolls down hill. How long for the first million pound player, bought in League Two? 
  • I'm convinced Birmingham would have paid £3m for Alfie if we'd asked them for it. 
    Danger was he could have done a Fraser and we would have ended up paying a year's wages for nothing. 
  • Swisdom said:
    Clearly Birmingham HAVE to go up and, sadly, it looks like they will unless something goes very very wrong there.

Like they struggle to keep all the players happy 
    or another team is better than expected and nidges them out of the automatics slots 

one thing that is for sure….they have a BIG target on their backs now and will be everyone’s preferred scalp this season (especially so with their arrogant fans)

in the immortal words of Kevin Keegan - “I would love it”

(fwiw I think they’ll go and get over 100 points)

Anything other than the title and a points record would be a disappointment with their spending. I wonder if they aren't top at Christmas if they panic and sack Davies. 
  • Laddick01 said:

So many CB's in the league will be relishing the chance to clear him out I'm sure. It'll be interesting to see how quickly he gets injured.
    Where's Ryan Innis playing these days? 
  • So Birmingham spend £10m in league 1 with the league 1 player getting to watch the pizza cup. Celtic break their transfer record with an £11m signing who gets European football. Crazy
  • edited August 31
    ozaddick said:
    Laddick01 said:

Where's Ryan Innis playing these days? 

Eating Veggie burgers at Forest Green Rovers and kicking National League strikers up in the air💪🏻
  • kodfish said:
    Birmingham will have 43 cup finals till the end of the season.

Let's hope they get battered kodfish 😀