Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aug 2024 Transfer Window Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• redman said:
    redman said:
    Aren't there still financial rules in League 1? How can Birmingham pay that and not break them? 
    There are but only judged against turnover, club owners can put money in as equity to add to that turnover, any money put in as a loan cannot be counted. So effectively at this level you can spend what you like if the owners are happy to lose it.
    Had forgotten that, thanks. 
    However, we don't yet know if they indeed put money in as equity. I'm expecting Kieran Maguire of "The Price of Football" will be all over them, although until the accounts come out he won't be able to nail the question.  It has often turned out that even the richest owners don't quite fancy that, including Monaco Jim, as Kieran calls Radcliffe.
  • Andy Delort available!
  • I would still like him to sign Potts, he is proven quality, knows how NJ likes to train and set up and would be a very useful addition.
    I'm also in the Hylton camp to be signed on a short term contract until Miles is match fit.
    He again knows how NJ trains and sets up, and, again, would be an experienced addition.
  • arny23394 said:
    I would still like him to sign Potts, he is proven quality, knows how NJ likes to train and set up and would be a very useful addition.
    I'm also in the Hylton camp to be signed on a short term contract until Miles is match fit.
    He again knows how NJ trains and sets up, and, again, would be an experienced addition.
    What is the point in signing Hylton? He is nowhere near good enough to be playing league 1 football. And going off his record at Northampton, nowhere near good enough to be playing in League 2 either 

Just solely as cover for the first few weeks when Leaburn starts to play again , plus Jones knows him and calls him the best player he ever signed .. so it makes sense and won’t cost much 
  • Louie Watson a free agent just saying 
  • Bournesnr said:
    Louie Watson a free agent just saying 
    A man Nathan Jones wanted dead as a doornail pretty much every time he set foot on a pitch for him last season 
  • Yep that’s the one, who he signed for Luton 
  • Looking at Free Agents what about Aaron Connolly. Was at hull last year good pedigree coming from Brighton. Would allow Kanu out on loan to a top end national league club? 
  • Looking at Free Agents what about Aaron Connolly. Was at hull last year good pedigree coming from Brighton. Would allow Kanu out on loan to a top end national league club? 
    if Kanu was going to go on loan it would have been to L2 I think. Suspect Potts and maybe a GK are the only potentials
  • Sponsored links:

• Cant find the General Transfer thread, but Crawley have signed a Nigerian International from the Tanzanian Premier League...

BENJAMIN TANIMU JOINS LINDSEY’S REDS - Crawley Town FC
  • wouldn't mind Wickham back
  • Not in our ballpark, but a surprising number of big name players are still unattached. I wonder if they've been too greedy, as while they can still get a club now, it's much better to join in the summer and have a proper pre-season with their new teammates. 

Rabiot, Hummels, Depay, Martial, Matip, Dele Alli etc
  • edited September 2
    Heard there's a new signing on the horizon, just getting up to speed on the training ground ...someone called Miles Leaburn...😉 
  • PaddyP17 said:
    Cant find the General Transfer thread, but Crawley have signed a Nigerian International from the Tanzanian Premier League...

Haha, couldn’t help Googling the value of that last one…

• Redhenry said:
    wouldn't mind Wickham back
    Would certainly be better than getting Hylton in , but I guess it comes down to wages.
  • Scoham said:
    PaddyP17 said:
    Cant find the General Transfer thread, but Crawley have signed a Nigerian International from the Tanzanian Premier League...

Haha, couldn’t help Googling the value of that last one…

My bad - I was off by a factor of 10! It was 235m shillings
  • Sponsored links:

• This Osimhen situation has been a total mess by him and his agent.

Just a few months after signing a new deal with a crazy release clause fee (allegedly 110m) they decided he wanted out of Napoli and obviously thought they’d have all the big European clubs queuing up. His agent said no loan deal and they only wanted a permanent deal, but the problem was that the contract they'd signed with a stupidly high fee put a lot of clubs off. 

Late on in the window they turned down a huge offer from Saudi, then turned down Chelsea as it would've meant taking a pay cut, and then Napoli got even more pissed off and publicly announced Lukaku was taking his squad number and said Osimhen wouldn’t play at all.

So in a last minute panic he’s ended up on loan at Galatasaray. So he's turned down more money, he's turned down a bigger club, he's decided to leave a top 5 league for no real reason..........and ended up in Turkey. 
    A massive mess. It'll be interesting what happens in January.
  • Bournesnr said:
    Louie Watson a free agent just saying 
    Doesn’t fit the style. Doesn’t do enough work without the ball for Jones 
  • edited September 3
    Not sure if it is covered elsewhere.  My initial reaction to Ivan Toney going to Saudi was what a waste of a career, still could have a good few years at the top of Premier League and could take the lead striker role for England.  cant think why he did it.

"Ivan Toney’s deadline day move to Saudi Arabia could see him land the UK equivalent of £1 million a week after bonuses are included.

The England striker signed for Al-Ahli last week on a dramatic final day of the summer window. The 28-year-old was minutes away from missing out on leaving Brentford as Victor Osimhen also pushed for a move to the Saudi club."

That's a lot of bets!!!

• Seen a few reports that you have to work in Saudi for a few years to get all the tax breaks. From a sporting side it seems a waste of his prime years 
  • Richard J said:
    Redhenry said:
    wouldn't mind Wickham back
    Would certainly be better than getting Hylton in , but I guess it comes down to wages.
    And his lack of fitness
  • Valley11 said:
    Waste of sporting career maybe but £4m a month for however many years means his great grandkids will probably be secure, let alone him. 
    Balls to the ‘legacy’ of being a bit part Chelsea striker, play a handful of friendlies for England and retiring early with a dodgy knee. 
    His legacy to his family is secured. 
    Not to mention he could play there for just a couple of years, earn more in those 2 years than he would've done if he'd spent the rest of his career in England, and then he'll only be 30 and he could then come back to English football if he really wants to. 

• So a good window IMHO, 8/10, but the proof of the pudding WILL BE IN THE EATING and meal time is May, not August.

I hate it when people get this wrong.

Whether referring to past, present or future, an expression is an expression.

The correct expression is ’the proof of the pudding IS in the eating.’ 
    I am wanting to effectively, nah, surgically use the phrase 'the proof of the pudding is in the eating' but having not used it before, how accurately and how well I deploy it is far from certain. I guess the proof in the pudding will be in the eating,..