Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aug 2024 Transfer Window Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• Richard J said:
    Clever...almost an anagram...it's written 🙏
  • Crispy said:
    Cannot express how happy I would be if Birmingham didn’t go up
    What could possibly go wrong for Birmingham with a novice manager and such a sensible owner

https://m.youtube.com/shorts/7JEWkoZ7mnI
  • I can see Birmingham, languishing 'only' 5th or 6th, firing this guy and approaching the manager of one of the teams in the top 3 in an attempt to sabotage them. Nathan, hope you're feeling comfy here... 
  • (Challinor feels likelier though) 
  • Spending money guarantees nothing. I don't get the Brum are certainties to go up lark.
    No it doesn’t guarantee success but it’s still a decent indicator of what’s likely to happen. They’ll have good quality all through the team and probably in depth too. At least as good as any other league one team and better than the vast majority. Can’t see anything other than top two sadly. There are only two footballers clubs that I loathe more and we know who they are. 
    But money aside, if you asked the question are Birminghams current side any better than Boltons side last year? I would say no. Did Bolton get promoted? 
  • Leuth said:
    I can see Birmingham, languishing 'only' 5th or 6th, firing this guy and approaching the manager of one of the teams in the top 3 in an attempt to sabotage them. Nathan, hope you're feeling comfy here... 
    I kind of agree but I think Wrexham could well try to poach him
  • cafc_se7 said:
    Spending money guarantees nothing. I don't get the Brum are certainties to go up lark.
    No it doesn’t guarantee success but it’s still a decent indicator of what’s likely to happen. They’ll have good quality all through the team and probably in depth too. At least as good as any other league one team and better than the vast majority. Can’t see anything other than top two sadly. There are only two footballers clubs that I loathe more and we know who they are. 
    But money aside, if you asked the question are Birminghams current side any better than Boltons side last year? I would say no. Did Bolton get promoted? 
    On paper, yes they are... but you don't win games on paper. A lot of foreign signings who should be way too good for this league, but who knows if they'll settle in
  • FFP … does not include Birmingham clearly 
  • This window has been a bit of a reality check for Wrexham, I'm sure they weren't expecting to only sign one relatively unknown striker in the last week.
    I did see  a Parkinson quote yesterday morning -  we have enough in our budget for one more signing . 😮
    So that’s another window of Hollywood talk with very little action. 😂
  • edited August 31
    FFP … does not include Birmingham clearly 

.....🤦‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Crispy said:
    Cannot express how happy I would be if Birmingham didn’t go up
    Well…..they have certainly put a massive fuck-off sized target on their back.
  • edited August 31
    FFP … does not include Birmingham clearly 

.....🤦‍♂️
    There are certain football clubs where the rules seem to be more loosely applied, Sheffield Wednesday spring immediately to mind.  Birmingham  City i would contend sit safely i  that little group.
  • NabySarr said:
    Still think we need to sign Potts, or another left sided centre back. Otherwise we are one injury to Gillesphey away from disaster 
    Not really that’s why Ramsey played most of pre season the left side of the 3 … 
    RamsAy 
  • Leuth said:
    I can see Birmingham, languishing 'only' 5th or 6th, firing this guy and approaching the manager of one of the teams in the top 3 in an attempt to sabotage them. Nathan, hope you're feeling comfy here... 
    Why would he leave the league champions for some scum from the midlands 😉
  • NabySarr said:
    Still think we need to sign Potts, or another left sided centre back. Otherwise we are one injury to Gillesphey away from disaster 
    Not really that’s why Ramsey played most of pre season the left side of the 3 … 
    RamsAy 
    Positive spelling?
  • AndyG said:
    Spending money guarantees nothing. I don't get the Brum are certainties to go up lark.
    I’m with you on that mate. Yes they should. Yes they probably will. But we know that doesn’t necessarily mean they will ! They have an unproven manager let’s see what happens when they aren’t walking the league if they hit a rough patch 

I don't believe it either. 
  • Leuth said:
    Be hilarious to see Alfie May's reaction when Jones walks in the building ;)
  • FFP … does not include Birmingham clearly 

.....🤦‍♂️
    There are certain football clubs where the rules seem to be more loosely applied, Sheffield Wednesday spring immediately to mind.  Birmingham  City i would contend sit safely i  that little group.
    owners can put as much money as they like into a club in league 1. The spending limit is based on a percentage of turn over, that is wages of all staff, players and running costs including buying player contracts. excepted from this is academy costs.
    Turn over is all the usual income generators, plus gifts, or equity investments, that is for example buying shares in the club.  What counts against a club is money acquired as a loan or a charge on the clubs assets.
    So as long as the Birmingham owners are willing to risk a lossof10million pounds a season from their own money they are not breaking the rules.
    This is as I understand it after reading through the EFL governance for league 1 clubs.
  • Someone on another forum said Potts and Hylton are still training with us, and a GK could come in who's also a free agent.

Any promising young Prem players released by mutual consent recently, like Small was in January?
  • Sponsored links:

• I’ll riot if we sign Hylton. Might as well sign me. 
  • Scoham said:
    Someone on another forum said Potts and Hylton are still training with us, and a GK could come in who's also a free agent.

Any promising young Prem players released by mutual consent recently, like Small was in January?
    Looking at the available keepers, you've got Sluga, Randolph, Marosi, Jamal Blackman, Ryan Schofield, Jordan Amissah, Jonathan Mitchell and Joe Lewis who would be possible, if not all ones we would want to look at. Sluga seems like the obvious one given his history with Jones
  • So Birmingham spend £10m in league 1 with the league 1 player getting to watch the pizza cup. Celtic break their transfer record with an £11m signing who gets European football. Crazy
    20 million 
  • I'm sure the EFL (or rather the clubs in the EFL) will change the rules to prevent Birmingham style spending in L1. Ludicrous when the biggest fee in the EFL ever is in L1.
    I'm not sure they can do anything about it. The EFL is a private members' club, meaning that the rules are created and agreed by its members. Therefore, a consensus must be reached in order to change those rules, and turkeys tend not to vote for Christmas. Sadly, there are lots of other wannabe turkeys out there.
  • This window has been a bit of a reality check for Wrexham, I'm sure they weren't expecting to only sign one relatively unknown striker in the last week.
    Wrexham have hit that ceiling: money is not everything, because there is even more money out there,
    Wrexham have hit that ceiling: money is not everything, because there is even more money out there,
    Seem to be doing ok on the pitch so far. No one wins a trophy in the transfer window
  • I'm sure the EFL (or rather the clubs in the EFL) will change the rules to prevent Birmingham style spending in L1. Ludicrous when the biggest fee in the EFL ever is in L1.
    I'm not sure they can do anything about it. The EFL is a private members' club, meaning that the rules are created and agreed by its members. Therefore, a consensus must be reached in order to change those rules, and turkeys tend not to vote for Christmas. Sadly, there are lots of other wannabe turkeys out there.
    I can't imagine the other 23 clubs in L1 think Birmingham's level expenditure is a good thing, ditto the 24 in L2, while there will be clubs in the Championship thinking that it's grossly unfair that a L1 club can spend money that a Championship club isn't allowed to.
  • edited September 1
  • redman said:
    Aren't there still financial rules in League 1? How can Birmingham pay that and not break them? 
    There are but only judged against turnover, club owners can put money in as equity to add to that turnover, any money put in as a loan cannot be counted. So effectively at this level you can spend what you like if the owners are happy to lose it.
    Had forgotten that, thanks.