Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Aug 2024 Transfer Window Deadline Day Thread

Comments

• So a good window IMHO, 8/10, but the proof of the pudding WILL BE IN THE EATING and meal time is May, not August.

Move on  ;)
  • Boring Boring Birmingham...🙄
  • Birmingham manager is in a bit of a catch-22 reputation/development wise. If it all goes sideways and devolves into a mess of egos and arguments, he gets the blame. If he wins the whole thing by March setting records along the way then people just shrug and point at the budget/squad and say (correctly) well that's what he should be doing.
  • Spending money guarantees nothing. I don't get the Brum are certainties to go up lark.
  • I keep reading that we have depth?! This is made up partly of players that the manager didn’t want nor any other club. The window has been a good one but let’s not get carried away. Some of these players nearly got us relegated last season so they can’t be that good. The club are moving forward but it’s going to take a few more windows to replace a few that aren’t good enough. The club is being run professionally and we’re moving forward. 
    Good to have some reality on here. 3 wins and some think we're up!

Probably yes last season but a very tough league this season.  Just our luck.
  • Ffs, this thread is 2 days old and already runs to 18 pages. How will I ever catch up?
  • Not to start up a debate about his overall job performance but not getting moves for Taylor, Asiimwe & Edun is definitely a mark against Andy Scott. If his job is less about going and identifying the players to bring in now, he has to be good at shifting players
  • Sponsored links:

• I keep reading that we have depth?! This is made up partly of players that the manager didn’t want nor any other club. The window has been a good one but let’s not get carried away. Some of these players nearly got us relegated last season so they can’t be that good. The club are moving forward but it’s going to take a few more windows to replace a few that aren’t good enough. The club is being run professionally and we’re moving forward. 
    Disagree, back up options include Reg , Watson , Godden , Aneke , Allan Campbell, Anderson . Our back up options in previous seasons have been the youngsters. We have a lot of strength in depth apart from left centre back and that could still be sorted as Jones clearly don’t mind signing players after the window has shut like Lua lua and wickham last season.
  • sm said:
    I'm convinced Birmingham would have paid £3m for Alfie if we'd asked them for it. 
    Danger was he could have done a Fraser and we would have ended up paying a year's wages for nothing. 
    That’s the worry, what does this ridiculous fee Brum have  paid to inflate the rest of the market? How much will League One club have to pay in the future for why vaguely promising player because “Birmingham paid it for Stansfield”?

All the more reason to focus on having a really quality and productive youth system. Bringing through your own talent looks increasingly the only sustainable way to exist without some ludicrously wealthy ownership willing to write blank cheques. I still love Charlton but the wider game just leaves me colder and colder each year. I frankly don’t want to compete with a club being run like Birmingham is because that kind of money is just obscene. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Still think we need to sign Potts, or another left sided centre back. Otherwise we are one injury to Gillesphey away from disaster 
    Not really that’s why Ramsey played most of pre season the left side of the 3 … 
  • fenaddick said:
    Not to start up a debate about his overall job performance but not getting moves for Taylor, Asiimwe & Edun is definitely a mark against Andy Scott. If his job is less about going and identifying the players to bring in now, he has to be good at shifting players
    Why .. its down to the players agent once their informed of the club decision to let a player leave  to find a club .. Edun was never going once the injury to Edwards happened Asiimwe got injured last week. 
  • NabySarr said:
    Still think we need to sign Potts, or another left sided centre back. Otherwise we are one injury to Gillesphey away from disaster 
    Ramsay played zero minutes in pre-season on the left of the 3 
  • NabySarr said:
    Wrong again
  • Sponsored links:

• I’d give the window a 7.5/10, but would upgrade that to 8 if we bring in Potts 
  • Spending money guarantees nothing. I don't get the Brum are certainties to go up lark.
    I’m with you on that mate. Yes they should. Yes they probably will. But we know that doesn’t necessarily mean they will ! They have an unproven manager let’s see what happens when they aren’t walking the league if they hit a rough patch 
  • Aren't there still financial rules in League 1? How can Birmingham pay that and not break them? 
    No it doesn’t guarantee success but it’s still a decent indicator of what’s likely to happen. They’ll have good quality all through the team and probably in depth too. At least as good as any other league one team and better than the vast majority. Can’t see anything other than top two sadly. There are only two footballers clubs that I loathe more and we know who they are. 
  • NabySarr said:
    I’d give the window a 7.5/10, but would upgrade that to 8 if we bring in Potts 
    I'd give the window a 10/10 if we win today, but reduce it to 2/10 if we lose!
    That's the spirit. Finally, the right answer
  • It all rolls down hill. How long for the first million pound player, bought in League Two? 
    It already has happened -  Kasper Schmeichel to Notts County in 2009.
  • redman said:
    Aren't there still financial rules in League 1? How can Birmingham pay that and not break them? 
    There are but only judged against turnover, club owners can put money in as equity to add to that turnover, any money put in as a loan cannot be counted. So effectively at this level you can spend what you like if the owners are happy to lose it.