Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• I honestly can't believe how upset people are getting over appointing a foreign manager.

No England or ENGLISH manager has won anything for 58 years & we've appointed 1 of, if not the best manage available to try & achieve that.

The reaction is Baffling to me
    Remind me please how our two previous foreign managers did? If Tuchel was the first try of a foreign manager I might say it’s worth a go but he isn’t. He won’t win the World Cup for England.
    Remind me how our last 12 English managers did please?
  • sam3110 said:
    Imagine saying you can't accept Tuchel as manager because he's German and it dilutes the accomplishment if he did take us to World Cup glory, but if Pep did the same cos he's almost like "an adopted Englishman" so that's alright! The same Pep that didn't do English interviews for about 2 years when he was first here, and is the face of moneybags Man City, universally hated by all. 😂
    I'd only want Pep though as an experiment, if he could make England play good football. 

I'd still feel the exact same way if we won that it wouldn't feel legitimate. I just happen to like Pep more than Tuchel and admire him as a manager. I don't rate Tuchel and think his champions league win was a bit of a fluke, similar to previous champions league winners who weren't necessarily the best team but everything just aligned. 

I don't know where you're getting Man City are universally hated? Most people I know love that City have been stopping the likes of United, Arsenal and Liverpool winning for years and have disrupted the top flight. Wouldn't mind City doing it for another decade. 
  • Thomas Tuchel

Even the Germans are laughing at as .
    Didn’t have a clue at Chelsea and doesn’t understand English football at all.

He won them the Champions league, beating Real Madrid in the semi and Pep's Man City in the final. In 7 knock out matches that season they conceded just 2 goals.

Seems like he must've had some clue.
    With foreign players mostly.

Those games you mentioned had only 3 English players playing for Chelsea.

What on earth does that have to do with your point that he "didn’t have a clue at Chelsea"?
    On the end at Chelsea and doesn’t understand English football at all. 

Chris if you are happy with the situation good for you. 

I am not happy with a German coach.Can’t wait to speak with my friends in Hamburg.
    Appreciate your opinion and you don't want him as manager which is fine, life would be boring if we all agreed on everything. 

I'd be interested to know how you define 'English football' and what you think he doesn't understand about it? Or why he even needs to? Given that all of our top players are coached at club level by foreign managers, they all play with a lot of top foreign players, and 3 of the starting XI in the last game don't even play for English teams, i genuinely don't see any reason why it matters that Tuchel isn't English.
  • I honestly can't believe how upset people are getting over appointing a foreign manager.

No England or ENGLISH manager has won anything for 58 years & we've appointed 1 of, if not the best manage available to try & achieve that.

Remind me please how our two previous foreign managers did? If Tuchel was the first try of a foreign manager I might say it’s worth a go but he isn’t. He won’t win the World Cup for England.
    Same as all the English ones in my lifetime, didn't win anything.

Just because Sven only reached quarter finals and Capello failed, all foreign managers must be shite?  

I don't know if Tuchel will be any good, but either way it'll be because he's good or bad at coaching, not to do with his nationality.
  • sam3110 said:
    Imagine saying you can't accept Tuchel as manager because he's German and it dilutes the accomplishment if he did take us to World Cup glory, but if Pep did the same cos he's almost like "an adopted Englishman" so that's alright! The same Pep that didn't do English interviews for about 2 years when he was first here, and is the face of moneybags Man City, universally hated by all. 😂
    I'd only want Pep though as an experiment, if he could make England play good football. 

I'd still feel the exact same way if we won that it wouldn't feel legitimate. I just happen to like Pep more than Tuchel and admire him as a manager. I don't rate Tuchel and think his champions league win was a bit of a fluke, similar to previous champions league winners who weren't necessarily the best team but everything just aligned. 

I don't know where you're getting Man City are universally hated? Most people I know love that City have been stopping the likes of United, Arsenal and Liverpool winning for years and have disrupted the top flight. Wouldn't mind City doing it for another decade. 
    Like how things have aligned with Guardiola managing teams with top players? ;)
  • edited 1:59PM
    I honestly can't believe how upset people are getting over appointing a foreign manager.

But we haven't won anything with an English manager in my lifetime either.

He probably won't win the World Cup, but If, at the time of interviewing, Tuchel is considered the best candidate for the job, then nationality should have no bearing on the appointment.

I really don't see why people are getting so upset.  Just my view of course
  • Interesting they apparently interviewed 10 others, wonder who they were?

Carsley, Potter you'd imagine.

Unless 'about 10' interviewed includes approaches by the FA to agents (and getting told no thanks pretty quickly) or approaches from Frank Lampard's agent etc.

But we haven't won anything with an English manager in my lifetime either.

He probably won't win the World Cup, but If, at the time of interviewing, Tuchel is considered the best candidate for the job, then nationality should have no bearing on the appointment.

I really don't see why people are getting so upset.  Just my view of course
    Bloody foreigners nicking our jobs 😂 
  • The English managers either side of Eriksson and Capello did worse than they did too, by the way.

Unless 'about 10' interviewed includes approaches by the FA to agents (and getting told no thanks pretty quickly) or approaches from Frank Lampard's agent etc.
    I've been trying to work this out since I saw it earlier (I saw 10 including Tuchel) but can't reach 10

Carsley
    Potter
    Howe
    Lampard
    Tuchel

• Sponsored links:

Sounds to me like a random Katrien-esque number just thrown out there.

My guess is they asked Pep, he said no, so they went for Tuchel.

Sounds to me like a random Katrien-esque number just thrown out there.

My guess is they asked Pep, he said no, so they went for Tuchel.
    I think they probably sounded out Eddie Howe's interest and chatted to Carsley and Potter too, just as a starting point.

But 10 seems high, and I'd be sure they weren't full interviews.
  • I’ll be interested to see if Tuchel can persuade some of the many talented forwards we have to spend some time in the box. 
  • edited 2:32PM
    There were 20 British bombers in the air
    There were 20 British bombers in the air
    There were 20 British bombers, 20 British bombers, 20 British bombers in the air

And

Thee

Luftwaffe from Germany shot em down
    The Luftwaffe from Germany shot em down
  • A lot of you are getting fizzy in the gusset about xenophobia/racism etc 

Don't be daft. My personal view and I reckon most others who would rather not have a foreign manager it has nothing to do with nationality or made up neo-nazism and more to do with the fact we have no English managers to appoint. There is no reason why England cannot find an English manager. @ValleyGary has made the solid point that the cost of doing the necessary coaching badges is prohibitive. The same was true for years as well with having a small pool of class English players to choose from, it took the FA stepping in to ensure clubs had a set minimum of home grown players to turn that ship around. Hopefully they realise that the more high level qualified coaches we have the more decent players and managers we will produce. 

Besides you are allowed to still be tribal in football, just because we have rivalries with nations like Scotland, Argentina and Germany doesn't me we are a nation of racists 
  • fenaddick said:
    Interesting they apparently interviewed 10 others, wonder who they were?

I've been trying to work this out since I saw it earlier (I saw 10 including Tuchel) but can't reach 10

Carsley
    Potter
    Howe
    Lampard
    Tuchel

Rooney? Evans?
  • As far as the dismal bigoted publications which masquerade as our free press are concerned only a world cup win will count as success for Tuchel, winning the euros might count as him breaking even, anything less will be howled and denounced as his failure.  That risible xenophobic poppycock will be echoed by the sorts of "England supporters" who still read the tabloids.  Regardless of how any tournament defeat might occur, it will be reported as Tuchel's failure, even if some woefully substandard FIFA referee promoted way above his competency tears up the rulebook and ruins the result.  The bottom-feeders on the back pages won't give Tuchel a fair crack.  Mostly because he's German but any foreigner is on a hiding to nothing in that job.
    The inconvenient truth that the players on the field doing their jobs properly is the overriding requirement for success will never be given airtime.
    Based on their clubs' successes, our current crop of top players provide an embarrassment of riches for the manager in midfield and attacking areas.  We're a bit short of experienced top quality internationals in defensive areas, especially leftback.  Tuchel has 2 main tasks: 1) find half a dozen or so decent defenders including at least one leftback and 2) find combinations of attacking & midfield players that work well together.  If that means that this or the other high profile mega talent/ego gets left out, boo effing hoo. Then stick to those combinations, so that the squad has a chance to develop the success.

In club management TT hasn't been welded to just one shape or way of playing, he's tended to seek the strategy best suited to the players at his disposal.
    Apart from probably Bayern, his sackings from clubs were largely to do with his not having control over signings and sales - the one issue he won't have as international manager where he gets to select just who he likes.  If he sticks with those who give a shit about playing for England rather than any of the egomaniacal showponies he could do well.

I grew to quite like him in his time in England, often pretty grumpy in interviews he didn't spin too much BS and clearly had a good SOH

He'll have a torrid time with the press and the hopeless old wankers at the FA but I reckon he's a good appointment.
  • fenaddick said:

Carsley
    Potter
    Howe
    Lampard
    Tuchel

There is surely no way we approached Lampard!!

• Asked the man with a German wife.
  • fenaddick said:
    Turns out the badge pricing wasn’t true after all 
    Spain is a lot cheaper according to this website https://uefalicenseonline.com/services/buy-certified-uefa-a-coaching-license/
  • Sponsored links:

• fenaddick said:

Carsley
    Potter
    Howe
    Lampard
    Tuchel

There is surely no way we approached Lampard!!
    You’d hope not but I wouldn’t be surprised
  • edited 3:29PM

Asked the man with a German wife.
    He had to get a foreign wife as all the English ones could understand the bollocks he was spouting.
  • Brownie12 said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I think it's diabolical. Call me old fashioned but how can we genuinely feel happy about a GERMAN managing the national team? if Gareth Southgate was made Argentina manager, i reckon they'd riot. 
    It’s 2024 not 1945.
    Reckon theres some on here still go to bed wearing a gas mark, and sleep in a shelter in the garden.
  • edited 3:05PM
    I honestly can't believe how upset people are getting over appointing a foreign manager.

Remind me again who that was?
    And which nationality of manager has come the closest ever since?
  • I can’t believe all this anti German shite.
  • Hal1x said:
    Brownie12 said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I think it's diabolical. Call me old fashioned but how can we genuinely feel happy about a GERMAN managing the national team? if Gareth Southgate was made Argentina manager, i reckon they'd riot. 
    It’s 2024 not 1945.
    Reckon theres some on here still go to bed wearing a gas mark, and sleep in a shelter in the garden.
    It's the only way to get out of having sex with the wife.

• Asked the man with a German wife.
    If you’re on the other side of the mail and the lizard from Downe village, you’re probably spot on.
  • Well so much for the traditional new England manager honeymoon period.
  • RobRob
    edited 3:35PM
    Probably the best of what’s out there at the moment. I have no problem with this appointment. Shame he looks like the stereotypical Gestapo officer from the war, but oh well. 

No doubt that he’s a good manager and hopefully he’ll do well for us. Let’s get behind him. 
  • edited 3:35PM
    The more I hear from Tuchel and the FA's view, via Mark Bellingham, on his appointment, the more I believe that this is a stop gap from both sides. Tuchel is not a long term international manager (as he says "he's used to 18 months") and would prefer to be managing one of Europe's top sides - but who is going to give him that gig at the moment?  Bellingham also indicated that some of those that were interviewed for the job "wanted it more than others but that Tuchel wanted it the most". That suggests to me that, perhaps, the FA have one or two in mind who might be more committed at the end of next season e.g. Pep or Howe.