Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• We go through phases as a nation. When we've been really bad for a while we're less bothered about the manager being English because we're desperate for success, and then when we improve a bit we get more focused on where they are from. Personally I don't really care where the manager is from, much less get upset about them specifically being from a country that we don't like in football. Too much is made of the manager as it is anyway, the narrative that followed Southgate around over the past few tournaments despite being our most successful manager since 1966 tells you that fans will be miserable no matter what and there will always be an angle of attack. The manager won't have won enough in the game, he won't be from the right place, he'll be too defensive, too attacking, too focused on certain teams, too rude in the press, too polite in the press. The camps will be too lax or too stern, the formation will be wrong, we won't get Phil Foden to be good, he'll keep picking that one midfielder that people don't like, he'll be accused of bias because he'll like Eric Dier or James Justin or something and this will be used to berate him. I think we win exactly the number of tournaments we deserve given the fuss that we will make about absolutely any aspect of the national team we can and the only real hope I have is that Tuchel doesn't undo the internal social structure that Southgate built up while he was there because I've enjoyed not being encouraged to despise the England players over the past few years and would like that to continue.
  • I do kind of get the notion of ‘I don’t want a German as England manager’ in the same way I wouldn’t want a Millwall legend as Charlton one (I don’t give a shit btw)

However if it’s just because he’s German, then that’s weird. The Germans are great people.
  • edited 12:51PM
    At first I wasn't sure how I felt, now I'd rather have just got someone else. 

First of all, there's no real right or wrong here, if you don't want a non-English manager, that is fine, so long as it's for the reason of competitive integrity, caring about our countries representation or, caring about our lack of coaching within the country. Any other reason I can't really get behind, it's also ok to be happy with the decision of a non-English manager. 

The idea of Pep seemed exciting as he's genuinely the best manager of all time, and feels like an adopted Englishman, I feel Tuchel ticks neither of those boxes. 

It simply can't be compared to club football, as its completely different. The whole point of international competition, is your countries finest facing other countries. Imo, it should always be an Englishman in the seat, or at the very least someone who has been raised here. It's the competitive integrity for me. I'd rather win with an English team, than a team that isn't rooted here. As I've said before, I feel like these types of moves in international football, harm a nations progression, in our case, coaching.

A Charlton team with a Colombian coach, and players hailing from Norway, Nigeria, Poland etc, sign me up, I actually love seeing that and love that side of club football, for England, not so much in this case. It defeats the whole purpose. I don't think it's a case of best person for the job. 

Either way it's done now, I can say hand on heart, I won't be as enthusiastic for the world cup, international football has taken a bit of a backseat for me recently, having a non-English manager just adds to it. If we win, the integrity of the trophy will be questioned by other nations I imagine. 

I'd rather Southgate have stayed.
  • At first I wasn't sure how I felt, now I'd rather have just got someone else. 

First of all, there's no real right or wrong here, if you don't want a non-English manager, that is fine, so long as it's for the reason of competitive integrity, caring about our countries representation or, caring about our lack of coaching within the country. Any other reason I can't really get behind, it's also ok to be happy with the decision of a non-English manager. 

The idea of Pep seemed exciting as he's genuinely the best manager of all time, and feels like an adopted Englishman, I feel Tuchel ticks neither of those boxes. 

It simply can't be compared to club football, as its completely different. The whole point of international competition, is your countries finest facing other countries. Imo, it should always be an Englishman in the seat, or at the very least someone who has been raised here. It's the competitive integrity for me. I'd rather win with an English team, than a team that isn't rooted here. As I've said before, I feel like these types of moves in international football, harm a nations progression, in our case, coaching.

A Charlton team with a Colombian coach, and players hailing from Norway, Nigeria, Poland etc, sign me up, I actually love seeing that and love that side of club football, for England, not so much in this case. It defeats the whole purpose. I don't think it's a case of best person for the job. 

Either way it's done now, I can say hand on heart, I won't be as enthusiastic for the world cup, international football has taken a bit of a backseat for me recently, having a non-English manager just adds to it. If we win, the integrity of the trophy will be questioned by other nations I imagine. 

😂
  • Hard to believe Sol Campbell has been overlooked again. Lol
  • Given over half of FIFA members have a foreign manager I don’t think the integrity of any competitions will be questioned 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    I think it's diabolical. Call me old fashioned but how can we genuinely feel happy about a GERMAN managing the national team? if Gareth Southgate was made Argentina manager, i reckon they'd riot. 
    It’s 2024 not 1945.
  • edited 1:04PM
    sam3110 said:

😂

fenaddick said:
    Given over half of FIFA members have a foreign manager I don’t think the integrity of any competitions will be questioned 
    I've already had people say to me it won't count if we win and needed a German etc. Obviously Welsh and Scottish mates but still. 

Not that their view changes the legitimacy of a trophy, but people will dangle that over us, just like I would if an English manager won a trophy for Wales or Scotland (lol).

Like I said, each to their own, but if we win the world cup, it won't be the same now. That's how I see it, and can't see it any differently. No different to club football if we go down this route. I've got Charlton for that. 
  • sam3110 said:

😂

fenaddick said:
    Given over half of FIFA members have a foreign manager I don’t think the integrity of any competitions will be questioned 
    I've already had people say to me it won't count if we win and needed a German etc. Obviously Welsh and Scottish mates but still. 

Not that their view changes the legitimacy of a trophy, but people will dangle that over us, just like I would if an English manager won a trophy for Wales or Scotland (lol).

Like I said, each to their own, but if we win the world cup, it won't be the same now. That's how I see it, and can't see it any differently. No different to club football if we go down this route. I've got Charlton for that. 
    The fact they’re even considering that possibility should tell you something!

Otherwise they’re just being wind ups. I’m sure they’d definitely denounce any honours they won were they to come under an English manager… not
  • sam3110 said:

😂

fenaddick said:

That’s all cool but doesn’t back up your statement that other nations would question the integrity of the competition. I couldn’t care less what opposition fans think, if we win the WC and they try to hold that over our head then we’ve still won the WC
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

😂

fenaddick said:

I feel the same.

Would have no issue with a good German, Belgian, Nigerian etc manager leading charlton at club level.

At international level it's pitting nation v nation....a non national leading that dilutes that for me.

Nothing to do with xenophobia in my case. It will just tarnish it and not be an "English" win in the same sense as if an English man led it.
  • edited 1:11PM
    fenaddick said:
    sam3110 said:

😂

fenaddick said:

That’s all cool but doesn’t back up your statement that other nations would question the integrity of the competition. I couldn’t care less what opposition fans think, if we win the WC and they try to hold that over our head then we’ve still won the WC
    We’re English and for some reason we’re not allowed to enjoy ourselves. Everything has to come with a clause or strings attached.
  • edited 1:12PM

Why?  Did anyone question the integrity of Spain winning the Euros with 2 French centre backs?  Or Euro2008 with a Brazilian in midfield?  Was Portugal winning tainted at Euro2016 because they had a Brazilian centre back?

Any criticism of Greece winning the Euros was that they were boring 1-0 defence merchants, not the Greek coach.

No one cares, if you win, you win.

• edited 1:17PM
    Silly questions at the presser, "will you sing the National Anthem?" Carsley didn't!! Dear God these journalists are bloody awful!
    Neither does Palmer . Of course he shouldn’t sing the National Anthem , that would just be weird.

Why?  Did anyone question the integrity of Spain winning the Euros with 2 French centre backs?  Or Euro2008 with a Brazilian in midfield?  Was Portugal winning tainted at Euro2016 because they had a Brazilian centre back?

Any criticism of Greece winning the Euros was that they were boring 1-0 defence merchants, not the Greek coach.

Some of us do. Winning over integrity/ football soul/ purism isn't the be all and end all for me.
  • To be honest with England I don’t give a shit where they come from if we win something. It’s the one thing left in football I need to see.
  • sam3110 said:

😂

fenaddick said:

The fact they’re even considering that possibility should tell you something!

Otherwise they’re just being wind ups. I’m sure they’d definitely denounce any honours they won were they to come under an English manager… not
    They're quite dramatic, my Welsh mate said he'd shoot himself if we won the Euros and said he nearly vomited when we beat Holland. So it's more tongue in cheek than anything. I don't think it improves our odds of winning much personally. On paper we still had a better chance with Southgate at an international tournament.

fenaddick said:
    sam3110 said:

😂

fenaddick said:

Well I do and it's deeper than that. Like I said, the whole point of international football, is internationals. The best of your country vs the best of another country. It's a bit different if Tuchel was born here and had German heritage, he's born and bred German, whole childhood and adulthood. I don't think any nation should use a manager outside of their country. That's for club football. 

• CAFCDAZ said:
    I think it's diabolical. Call me old fashioned but how can we genuinely feel happy about a GERMAN managing the national team? if Gareth Southgate was made Argentina manager, i reckon they'd riot. 
    But if for example Guardiola or Klopp became their next manager i doubt they'd care.

Most people will only be bothered about the quality of the manager, not his nationality.

Plenty of people I know did, not that it changes anything. 

For me winning isn't the be all end all, it's about how you do it. We probably won't win anyway so this is all riff raff.
  • Sponsored links:

• Turns out the badge pricing wasn’t true after all 

For me winning isn't the be all end all, it's about how you do it. We probably won't win anyway so this is all riff raff.
    Really?  You had people watching Spain play the best football by a mile then saying "Bet that win feels hollow and lacking in integrity, what with them playing Robin Le Normand"?
  • Imagine saying you can't accept Tuchel as manager because he's German and it dilutes the accomplishment if he did take us to World Cup glory, but if Pep did the same cos he's almost like "an adopted Englishman" so that's alright! The same Pep that didn't do English interviews for about 2 years when he was first here, and is the face of moneybags Man City, universally hated by all. 😂
  • To be honest with England I don’t give a shit where they come from if we win something. It’s the one thing left in football I need to see.
    This and only this.  I’m sick of our loser mentality as a nation.
  • I honestly can't believe how upset people are getting over appointing a foreign manager.

No England or ENGLISH manager has won anything for 58 years & we've appointed 1 of, if not the best manage available to try & achieve that.

The reaction is Baffling to me
  • Thomas Tuchel

Even the Germans are laughing at as .
    Didn’t have a clue at Chelsea and doesn’t understand English football at all.

He won them the Champions league, beating Real Madrid in the semi and Pep's Man City in the final. In 7 knock out matches that season they conceded just 2 goals.

Seems like he must've had some clue.
    With foreign players mostly.

Those games you mentioned had only 3 English players playing for Chelsea.

What on earth does that have to do with your point that he "didn’t have a clue at Chelsea"?
    On the end at Chelsea and doesn’t understand English football at all. 

Chris if you are happy with the situation good for you. 

I am not happy with a German coach.Can’t wait to speak with my friends in Hamburg.
  • edited 1:44PM

Really?  You had people watching Spain play the best football by a mile then saying "Bet that win feels hollow and lacking in integrity, what with them playing Robin Le Normand"?
    Not the majority obviously, but there were comments about Laporte and why he doesn't play for France. I think the big difference here though, is Le Normand and Laporte are both recognised as Spanish citizens, Tuchel isn't an English citizen. Which was kind of my point about dual heritage and not being an adopted Englishman. It also wasn't at the expense of France as they have better defenders than Spain, but that's a whole different conversation.

Anyway, that's that. He's the manager, if he wins it will make a lot of people happy, so there's that. Hopefully he can do it, I still don't think it will change much in terms of playstyle tbh.
  • Something I saw in a documentary about English football once that’s stuck in my head.

Gary Pallister admitted back in the early 90s him and a few of the United dressing room had doubts about whether they could trust a foreign goalkeeper, a certain lad called called Peter Schmeichcal, wonder how that turned out..
  • I honestly can't believe how upset people are getting over appointing a foreign manager.

No England or ENGLISH manager has won anything for 58 years & we've appointed 1 of, if not the best manage available to try & achieve that.

The reaction is Baffling to me
    Remind me please how our two previous foreign managers did? If Tuchel was the first try of a foreign manager I might say it’s worth a go but he isn’t. He won’t win the World Cup for England.
  • It'll be funny if we beat Germany in the World Cup Final.  ;)