Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

1222324252628»

Comments

• The more I hear from Tuchel and the FA's view, via Mark Bellingham, on his appointment, the more I believe that this is a stop gap from both sides. Tuchel is not a long term international manager (as he says "he's used to 18 months") and would prefer to be managing one of Europe's top sides - but who is going to give him that gig at the moment?  Bellingham also indicated that some of those that were interviewed for the job "wanted it more than others but that Tuchel wanted it the most". That suggests to me that, perhaps, the FA have one or two in mind who might be more committed at the end of next season e.g. Pep or Howe. 
    Surely that depends on how well he does though right?
  • I can’t believe people still take any notice of things like the Daily Mirror
    I take as much notice as I do to the go-compare adverts.  But unfortunately the song is still stuck in millions of heads.
  • My main problem with Tuchel is that he is known for playing players out of position to fit whatever formation/system he employs.  At Chelsea he was playing forwards as wingbacks and Mount in a more deeper holding role.  Not sure we have the wingbacks to play his preferred 3421 formation
  • The only decent argument I’ve seen for wanting the manager to be English has come from Gary Neville.  I don’t agree with it but it’s an opinion which has some logic and long term thinking to it.

Basically he wants it to be an Englishman to promote English coaching and management in general, as I think we can all agree it’s pretty poor when you look at an all English short list.

But for me that’s too long term, and frankly not practical.  I want to win something and win something soon, I think we’ve earned the right to be a little impatient with that.
  • Rob said:
    The more I hear from Tuchel and the FA's view, via Mark Bellingham, on his appointment, the more I believe that this is a stop gap from both sides. Tuchel is not a long term international manager (as he says "he's used to 18 months") and would prefer to be managing one of Europe's top sides - but who is going to give him that gig at the moment?  Bellingham also indicated that some of those that were interviewed for the job "wanted it more than others but that Tuchel wanted it the most". That suggests to me that, perhaps, the FA have one or two in mind who might be more committed at the end of next season e.g. Pep or Howe. 
    Surely that depends on how well he does though right? 
    Of course it will from our side if he does do well but that might not be in his plans even if he does (if anything, winning the WC will make him worth even more to top clubs) and why it might suit us from the perspective too assuming that we have someone else in mind in 18 months. Capello's first contract was 4.5 years and Eriksson's was 5 years. So why only 18 months for Tuchel and why has he accepted such a short contract? There's no longevity in the relationship in doing so which is why I said that it probably suits both sides to have that relatively short term contract. That's not to say that if everything is going well at that point and Tuchel wants to stay on that won't happen but one or both sides want that door open at that time.    
  • The only decent argument I’ve seen for wanting the manager to be English has come from Gary Neville.  I don’t agree with it but it’s an opinion which has some logic and long term thinking to it.

Basically he wants it to be an Englishman to promote English coaching and management in general, as I think we can all agree it’s pretty poor when you look at an all English short list.

But for me that’s too long term, and frankly not practical.  I want to win something and win something soon, I think we’ve earned the right to be a little impatient with that.
    Problem with that argument is that it clearly doesn't work, we have almost always had an English coach and it hasn't made a difference to the quality produced below. 

• Asked the man with a German wife.
    Which should underline the point he's not anti German or xenophobic in this statement.

People aren't saying no to German club managers but as usual the lazy narrative is it's xenophobic/ bigoted to think/ desire that a national manager should be of that nation for a football nation of the status of England.
  • Sponsored links:

• I am happy for him.  He's taking over from an Englishman who did his best, but wasn't up to it and had to step down.  But now, Tommy T has landed the big gig.  Good luck to him.  And good luck to his constituents in Tonbridge. 

Although I am not sure he's really qualified to be England Manager, especially as he's still Shadow Minister for Security. 
  • could well be good for England and Tuchel .. he seems to be a man who quickly falls out with those around him, the fact that he will only have the players for very limited amounts of time might allow him to be cooler and more constructive in his interpersonal dealings .. as for the players they will not have him to deal with on a day to day basis .. he is clearly a man who understands tactics and to get his ideas across .. (lastly) the fact that his initial contract is just for 18 months means that if he totally pisses everybody off and fails miserably, it won't cost umpteen €s to get rid of him
  • could well be good for England and Tuchel .. he seems to be a man who quickly falls out with those around him, the fact that he will only have the players for very limited amounts of time might allow him to be cooler and more constructive in his interpersonal dealings .. as for the players they will not have him to deal with on a day to day basis .. he is clearly a man who understands tactics and to get his ideas across .. (lastly) the fact that his initial contract is just for 18 months means that if he totally pisses everybody off and fails miserably, it won't cost umpteen €s to get rid of him
    Wait till the mail find out he's being paid in euros.
  • Don't care if he's Chinese, Japanese, dirty knees, what are these...

Just make me want to watch an England match for entertainment and not as an exercise with thumb screws, yelling "back to fucking Pickford" at the telly like a demented fool!