Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• Leuth said:
    Guardiola, obv. Why settle for less? He's said he wants to manage international football, and his home country doesn't exactly need a manager 
    He's not English.

England manager should be English. Winning under a non English manager would tarnish any success.
    Not for me it wouldn’t. 

The loosening of rules as to who can play for England would…..but not who the manager is. 
    Completely agree - I enjoyed the cricket team's success under two Zimbabweans, and the England women's football team's success under a Dutch manager.

I'd enjoy any success we get by bringing in a good foreign coach.
  • Leuth said:
    Guardiola, obv. Why settle for less? He's said he wants to manage international football, and his home country doesn't exactly need a manager 
    He's not English.

England manager should be English. Winning under a non English manager would tarnish any success.
    Not for me it wouldn’t. 

The loosening of rules as to who can play for England would…..but not who the manager is. 
    Completely agree - I enjoyed the cricket team's success under two Zimbabweans, and the England women's football team's success under a Dutch manager.

Exactly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest what nationality the coach is as long as they are the best person for the job. It doesn't bother me the cricket team are coached by a Kiwi and an Australian in the slightest. 
  • The only way that GS leaves is if he wants to on his own accord.   We all know the FA is a risk adverse bureaucracy and won’t make a change after getting to the Euros finals.  I really don’t think Southgate is going resign before the next World Cup so everyone is going to have to live with the negative tactics for a little while longer.  Pair that with Kane and 3 of our starting 4 defenders being 32-35 years old and probably on the start of the down slide of their careers when the World Cup rolls around. Not a lot of high level talent coming through the ranks on the defensive side.  Definitely some concerns going into the next World Cup
  • Leuth said:

You must have lived in the UK for at least 5 years before the date of your application for British citizenship.

Do this first then you can apply to the England manager's position.

Don’t want to? Then you don’t have the passion and commitment that the job requires.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Leuth said:
    He's not English.

Not for me it wouldn’t. 

Exactly, it doesn't bother me in the slightest what nationality the coach is as long as they are the best person for the job. It doesn't bother me the cricket team are coached by a Kiwi and an Australian in the slightest. 
    Absolutely. Howe is the only credible candidate and he’s not won anything or done enough to warrant getting the job. We need a progressive coach who knows exactly what he wants and has a track record. That rules out any Englishman.
  • Leuth said:
    He's not English.

Who was that last three English managers to win anything (club or country) and what was it?

No idea...and probably a while back and cups. But regardless that doesn't change my view.

Scotland could try and stop being the biggest joke in international football by giving passports to a number of 20 year old uncapped Spaniards and Brazilians and put them in tartan army shirts and even maybe win a game in a tournament...but that would be tarnished by the fact they're not scots. 

Same as if a English manager managed Scotland and got you to qualify...it would grate that big brother had to come along and help.

• MarcusH26 said:
    Leuth said:
    He's not English.

Not for me it wouldn’t. 

Absolutely. Howe is the only credible candidate and he’s not won anything or done enough to warrant getting the job. We need a progressive coach who knows exactly what he wants and has a track record. That rules out any Englishman.

Howe I'd be surprised if he even would want it at this stage , unless things go awry at Newcastle this year. Still thinking the FA will play it safe and it will be Potter or Carsley ultimately. 
  • Each to their own but for me we're a well established football nation and should be led by an Englishman for it to seem a valid national victory (as I see it).

Pep lifting a trophy for the FA wouldnt feel like a proper bona fide England success same as it wouldn't have done under Cappello or Sven as much as I still supported the team and wanted to win under those great men.
  • I think it should be an English manager, after all it's called England and so it's top man should share that nationality. So probably Howe or Potter if either of them take it. I think Carsley played for Ireland, though was born here. Not any other regularly successful managers to choose from really. 
    Never get this.

English managers are by and large pretty average, its why none of the top club sides go for them.

No one batted an eyelid when the women's team went and got the Dutch manager who'd won the last Euros, and she came in with good ideas.  Why is the men's team different?

The "we have to go with an English manager" got us Steve McClaren.

If there's a good English candidate?  Great.  If there's a better foreign one, get them in.
    I think every nation should be managed by one of their own, you can’t pick & choose players nor should you with managers. 
  • edited July 15
    The FA want Southgate to stay so it's now his call - I think he'll go. He was the right manager for us at the right time initially and has done wonders overall but think the talent we have has outgrown him these last 2 tournaments and we need a change... the issue is there is no obvious candidate so all realistic alternatives feel like another unproven risk (exactly what Southgate was when appointed)

Would love to see what Klopp would do with this squad but highly doubt it would happen.

In ideal world we'd also have an Englishman, I think Howe is the best option out there, and also things are a bit unsettled for him at Newcastle currently. I think he'd try to play the attacking/positive/direct football we all want but would question if he has the experience dealing with really high profile individuals - Southgate didn't but has undoubtedly been able to get the players to buy into him and mould a tight team unit which we'd struggled to do for years previously - the success of Howe would hinge on him being able to do the same.

I suspect the FA will go for Potter or Carsley though (Steve Holland as an outside shout?)
  • Sponsored links:

• Ange

Plays attacking football

Very experienced

Has managed at top club level and won a major tournament at international level.

Knows English football.

Very media friendly.

Not British but from a commonwealth country.

Think he ticks more boxes that most others than Klopp and Pep, neither of whom seem as realistic.

Probably better paid than Southgate.
  • I think it should be an English manager, after all it's called England and so it's top man should share that nationality. So probably Howe or Potter if either of them take it. I think Carsley played for Ireland, though was born here. Not any other regularly successful managers to choose from really. 
    Never get this.

English managers are by and large pretty average, its why none of the top club sides go for them.

No one batted an eyelid when the women's team went and got the Dutch manager who'd won the last Euros, and she came in with good ideas.  Why is the men's team different?

The "we have to go with an English manager" got us Steve McClaren.

If there's a good English candidate?  Great.  If there's a better foreign one, get them in.
    I think every nation should be managed by one of their own, you can’t pick & choose players nor should you with managers. 
    But you can.

So why limit ourselves?
  • Ange

Plays attacking football

Very experienced

Has managed at top club level and won a major tournament at international level.

Knows English football.

Very media friendly.

Think he ticks more boxes that most others than Klopp and Pep, neither of whom seem as realistic.

He’s Greek 
  • arny23394 said:
    Leuth said:
    He's not English.

Such a bizarre take - I couldn’t give a fuck where our manager is from if they win us the World Cup. 

Good for you.  We don't all have to think the same.  
  • It comes down to whether you want a successful coach (as in wins actual tournaments) or an English one. Because for me, there's no-one out there currently who ticks both boxes.

• Ange

Plays attacking football

Very experienced

Knows English football.

Very media friendly.

He’s Greek 
    Australian of Greek descent
  • Ange

Plays attacking football

Very experienced

Knows English football.

Very media friendly.

He’s Greek 
    That implies that his Nan was Greek, he was born in Greece to Greek parents, he’s an Australian citizen which he’s very proud of but he’s also very proud to be Greek
  • Graeme Potter fits the FA's blinkered resumé of English, managed in PL before (however briefly), unemployed and therefore cheap
  • Billy_Mix said:
    Graeme Potter fits the FA's blinkered resumé of English, managed in PL before (however briefly), unemployed and therefore cheap
    Potter a good manager, I'm going to give him a pass on the Chelsea stuff as that club is a joke 
  • Sponsored links:

• 1) Guardiola
    2) Klopp
    3) Dyche (can't think of another Englishman a t m who comes close to having the experience and knowledge)

I just hope Southgate doesn't 'do a Biden' and hang on well past his sell-by time
  • Ange

Plays attacking football

Very experienced

Knows English football.

Very media friendly.

Not against a foreign coach and Ange is a good call but I have a slight problem with an Aussie making us successful in the same way I would with a Scot. Both like to see us fail in sport so fuck em.
  • Curbishley 16/1
  • 1) Guardiola
    2) Klopp
    3) Dyche (can't think of another Englishman a t m who comes close to having the experience and knowledge)

I just hope Southgate doesn't 'do a Biden' and hang on well past his sell-by time
    If you think Southgate’s football is horrible to watch then you would be in for a treat with Dyche ! 
  • Ange

Plays attacking football

Very experienced

Knows English football.

Very media friendly.

He’s Greek 
    That implies that his Nan was Greek, he was born in Greece to Greek parents, he’s an Australian citizen which he’s very proud of but he’s also very proud to be Greek
    Australian citizen, played for and managed Australia so he's from a commonwealth country
  • edited July 15
    England manager has to be English for me. We are one of the major footballing nations in the world, and we should not have to resort to hiring a foreign manager. That shows we got a huge problem with our system of developing coaches etc. 

Would either Klopp, Anchelotti or Pep even want the England job. I doubt they would win IMO.

Think it will either be Howe or Potter. Imagine compensation for Howe would make Potter more likely. 
  • England manager has to be English for me. We are one of the major footballing nations in the world, and we should not have to resort to hiring a foreign manager. That shows we got a huge problem with our system of developing coaches etc. 

Would either Klopp, Anchelotti or Pep even want the England job. I doubt they would win IMO.

Think it will either be Howe or Potter. Imagine compensation for Howe would make Potter more likely. 

Disagree... Should be the best man for the job. Go all out for Pep and we win a major tournament
  • Think Ange, or Klopp or anyone else at the top is a bit far fetched, the reason they are successful is they get weeks and months to inbed a philosophy and style of play on a team, Ange has said that last season was part of the plan for Spurs, where at international level, you're getting 10 days make to get some basics over. And we don't have the same set up as the Spanish, where you effectively have the same coach through the age groups. 
  • edited July 15
    CAFCsayer said:
    England manager has to be English for me. We are one of the major footballing nations in the world, and we should not have to resort to hiring a foreign manager. That shows we got a huge problem with our system of developing coaches etc. 

Disagree... Should be the best man for the job. Go all out for Pep and we win a major tournament
    When should we go all out for Pep? Do we try and recruit him now whilst working at Man City or at the end of the season. Pep usually takes a year off between jobs, so would be looking at 2026.