Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• edited July 15

• edited July 15
  • Carter said:
    I dont think there is a lack of good English coaches, I think there is a lack of opportunity for them though. Thats before you consider how little margin for improvement there is now in football. Feasibly a decent coach, with good pedigree, well thought of (against all odds) in Jody Morris probably won't work in football management again due to a poor stint for Swindon in the 4th tier. People like Sol Campbell get pelters for saying black coaches aren't given opportunities but british coaches full stop aren't given much of a fair swing. 
    They really aren’t, jimmy floyd hasselbaink’s appointment was a diversity appointment by the FA but what was wrong with someone like Euell who was working with England already?

we need a black face in the door, let’s get a Dutch one 🤦‍♂️ 

Got there in the end. Poxy wi-fi. 
  • I don’t think you have to be a great or good manager to coach England. Southgate is certainly not any of those. Personally I would like a new coaching setup to come in and just change the style of play, the current system doesn’t suit our players. Spain play a setup that I’d expect others will copy by the next tournament. The good teams will find a way to nullify Spain’s game while having a good game plan of their own. I hope we have a person or persons who can come up with style that suits our players that is also pleasing to the eye. We are not always going to get the draws we have had this time or past tournaments but we will have a good squad of players to pick from for next few years. These current players are a genuine golden generation and deserve to reach their potential. 
  • I've spoke to a lot of my mates about this and although I'd love to see what a genius like Pep could do with these players, it wouldn't be right. 

If it means we are stuck with an eternal life of not winning, so be it. There are plenty of other countries that have it the same, I'm pretty glad we have been able to make runs these tournaments, and despite the pain, we have had some real memorable moments.

Instead of being lazy and throwing money at the best manager, we should be identifying why there is such a lack of good English coaches, and be investing in that. 
  • I mean Pep would be amazing, but realistically and just because i believe it should be an Englishman, Personally i'd have liked to have seen Cooper, however given he has just taken the Leicester job, i'd say Potter, Howe or Lampard are the most likely
  • MrOneLung said:
    Bring back Hoddle

would deffo of won something 2000/2002 if he had managed to keep his stupid beliefs out of it. Been allowed to practise freedom of speech and simply express what millions of Buddhists and Hindis in the world believe.
    Corrected that for you
  • Yes to Carsley - we’ve got the formula, keep it intact.

Scaloni, Southgate, De La Fuente… all have in common that they managed in the youth system before taking the top job. Southgate the only one of those three who hasn’t won but he’s got really really close.

Going back a few more years to 2018 & 2014 World Cup winners France & Spain… Deschamps, Low - neither of them really had any kind of impressive club pedigree before taking their teams to glory.

Who was the last bloke to win a major tournament who was also a successful club manager beforehand? You’re probably looking at Vicente del Bosque?
    And let's be honest he managed a Spain side who would've probably won even without a manager. They had most of the great Barcelona side plus Casillas, Ramos and Alonso.
  • edited July 15
    I don't understand why people question people as having a bizarre view who say it should be an Englishman for the role. 

It's international football, the coach should be from the same country as that's the whole objective of the tournament, the best of your Nation up against the others. 

Club football is where that goes out of the window, and already has in most countries, when you look at the managers and players for every top club from their respective leagues over the years. 

This isn't 'whoever is the best for the role should get it' as it goes completely against the point of international football. It is far from a bizarre take. 
    Would we be happy if we get a manager like Roberto Martinez. A Spanish manager who has managed Belgium & now Portugal. Very experienced, but that’s too club football for me. How about Patrick Vieira. Maybe we should make an approach for the Spanish manager, offer him Southgate salary of £5m a year. The fact Klopp and Pep get mentioned probably is that people want only the elite, but other names would probably get a muted response.

I couldn’t care who the Welsh manager was but pleased that Bellamy got the job over Henry. 

Very likely Anchelotti will end up at Brazil at some point. Wonder if they are having the same conversation about the Brazilian manager being Brazilian.
  • Sponsored links:

• Apart from Portugal and Belgium, have any other 'top level' European national teams had non-national managers? Can't think of any.
  • I don't understand why people question people as having a bizarre view who say it should be an Englishman for the role. 

It's international football, the coach should be from the same country as that's the whole objective of the tournament, the best of your Nation up against the others. 

Club football is where that goes out of the window, and already has in most countries, when you look at the managers and players for every top club from their respective leagues over the years. 

This isn't 'whoever is the best for the role should get it' as it goes completely against the point of international football. It is far from a bizarre take. 
    Would we be happy if we get a manager like Roberto Martinez. A Spanish manager who has managed Belgium & now Portugal. Very experienced, but that’s too club football for me. How about Patrick Vieira. Maybe we should make an approach for the Spanish manager, offer him Southgate salary of £5m a year. The fact Klopp and Pep get mentioned probably is that people want only the elite, but other names would probably get a muted response.

I couldn’t care who the Welsh manager was but pleased that Bellamy got the job over Henry. 

Very likely Anchelotti will end up at Brazil at some point. Wonder if they are having the same conversation about the Brazilian manager being Brazilian.
    Brazil i think are one of the only major footballing nations who have never had a foreign manager, so i can imagine they wouldn't be too happy. Germany are another.

Also a foreign manager has never won the world cup, it's only ever been won with a fellow national in charge of that country.
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    I mean Pep would be amazing, but realistically and just because i believe it should be an Englishman, Personally i'd have liked to have seen Cooper, however given he has just taken the Leicester job, i'd say Potter, Howe or Lampard are the most likely
    I am probably in the minority here, but it’s a huge shame that Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Campbell etc haven’t been successful as managers. Carrick is probably the only one who’s doing okay. The concern about Potter & Howe is they don’t have any England experience. I agree that the England managers job is the most difficult job in world football bar anything. At least ex players understand what that scrutiny is like.
  • I don't understand why people question people as having a bizarre view who say it should be an Englishman for the role. 

But it isn't.

That's not a restriction that FIFA place on you, why place it on yourself if it gets you a worse coach?

If a good English coach is available, great, if not why suffer another Steve McClaren etc?
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    I mean Pep would be amazing, but realistically and just because i believe it should be an Englishman, Personally i'd have liked to have seen Cooper, however given he has just taken the Leicester job, i'd say Potter, Howe or Lampard are the most likely
    He's Welsh.
  • edited July 15
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I am probably in the minority here, but it’s a huge shame that Rooney, Lampard, Gerrard, Campbell etc haven’t been successful as managers. Carrick is probably the only one who’s doing okay. The concern about Potter & Howe is they don’t have any England experience. I agree that the England managers job is the most difficult job in world football bar anything. At least ex players understand what that scrutiny is like.
    Carrick wouldn’t be a bad shout.  2 seasons at Boro tends to be enough and he did particularly well this season, having lost both of his strikers . 
  • CAFCDAZ said:
    I don't think it is the hardest job because of the quality of players we have. It is harder managing Scotland surely.
  • edited July 15
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I don't think it is the hardest job because of the quality of players we have. It is harder managing Scotland surely.
    Back in Feb/March Southgate was publicly ridiculed very badly because he went to Ajax v someone to see Henderson play instead of going Newcastle v Luton, which had about 20 English players playing. Hes gets abuse for going to watch a football match. 
  • edited July 15
    Finally home from Berlin so will be logging off for the while. I think Lee Carlsey will get the gig on a caretaker basis.

Ireland in the nations in 6 weeks time. Between now and then all England players need to have their holidays and do a pre-season. Imagine most of that England team won’t play many minutes for their club side until after international break in September.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 15
    I don't understand why people question people as having a bizarre view who say it should be an Englishman for the role. 

But it isn't.

That's not a restriction that FIFA place on you, why place it on yourself if it gets you a worse coach?

If a good English coach is available, great, if not why suffer another Steve McClaren etc?
    Because it is my personal belief and I imagine many others that it should be that way. 

We have just had a semi final, final, quarter final and a final again. It's not been terrible and if we don't win, so be it, life goes on. There has to be an Englishman capable of guiding us to a trophy, if there isn't now, there will be one day. There certainly won't be if you give it to a foreign manager now and don't focus on your own national managers. That's how I see it.

Club football is best man for the job, not international. That's my view and it can't be changed. 
  • Cooper?
    Too Welsh??
  • Potter or Gary O'Neil for me 

I would be absolutely gutted if Martinez became England manager. He's a bad coach and just allowed Ronaldo to dictate his tournament.

That would be a shocking appointment imo, and Southgate is much better. 

I'd like Howe. I'd probably give Southgate one more go if it was up to me, and then I'd be looking at Howe. 

There's no guarantee that if a manager like Pep or Klopp came in, we would suddenly win. They're obsessive managers who have been successful spending a lot of times with their squads and creating an infrastructure. Would they have the same impact with an England team where the training levels aren't the same? 

I have my doubts tbh.
    Martinez would be terrible, wasted two good sides now, don't want him to do the same with us.
  • All this chat, and it will probably turn out Southgate will stay on till the 2026 World Cup...🤦‍♂️
  • edited July 15
    The problem the FA have is if it’s an internal hire (like Southgate was) then the bloke will be called a yes man with no pedigree and personality of his own.

But if they succumb to public pressure, rip everything up and convince a top club manager like Klopp or Pep to take it, whoever it is will want to put their own stamp on EVERYTHING.

And should it turn out that they can’t win at international level like many top level club managers before them (Luis Enrique, Hansi Flick…) then we’ve just torn down all of the good work from the past six / eight years for nothing and have to start all over again with another generation wasted.

If it has to be an external man, then we need someone who’s willing to fit themselves into the overall jigsaw rather than someone who’s going to grab the headlines and be the main event themselves.

But it isn't.

Because it is my personal belief and I imagine many others that it should be that way. 

We have just had a semi final, final, quarter final and a final again. It's not been terrible and if we don't win, so be it, life goes on. There has to be an Englishman capable of guiding us to a trophy, if there isn't now, there will be one day. There certainly won't be if you give it to a foreign manager now and don't focus on your own national managers. That's how I see it.

Club football is best man for the job, not international. That's my view and it can't be changed. 
    Not looking to change anyone's opinion, I'm just intrigued as I genuinely don't understand it.

Would you sack Sarina Wiegman?

Or if we appointed, I dunno, Mancini say, and won the World Cup, you'd think it was a bit of a crap win because Southgate/Potter/Lampard didn't manage it?

• If they’re willing to wait a year, maybe Pep, but probably unrealistic.

For me:

Klopp (could easily wait until the autumn if he wants a longer break)
    Howe (now or wait until Newcastle sack him)
    Bielsa (if he could be tempted away)
    Tuchel
    Pochettino
    Wiegman (usual suspects may laugh but she’s better than a lot of names thrown around and is a winner)

Potter would be Southgate II.

Carsley intrigues me but is he just another FA man?

No idea what Lampard or Gerrard have done to warrant being anywhere near this conversation in some of the nationals today. I’d rather keep Southgate over those two. 

• If we are to go for a foreign coach I'd like to see Big Ange get the gig