Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• I see the next fixture in 7th September at the Aviva.

So against a team whose manager has previously beaten England.
    They’ll need to appoint someone soon then.
  • edited July 16
    Thanks Gareth Southgate for making a quick decision and we thank you for your work in creating an environment that players wanted to be part of other than Ben White who prefers the beaches to putting the cones out and watching.

Just a shame that you couldn't make quick decisions in vital matches when we were struggling and thank your lucky stars that the Slovakian defenders switch off the once in the last seconds and didn't man mark Jude in the last 16 match as you would now be exiled to Siberia; still better than Croydon !

Nice Man who tried his best and has an impressive record as a bridesmaid but still better than everyone other than Ramsey.
  • Correct decision. I think Southgate took us as far as he could and now time for some fresh ideas to try and get the best from the attacking players we have. England for a while have been poor to watch this year especially. 

Thanks for the memories Gareth 
  • Would like Howe but seems unlikely.

Betfair is down but these are the best prices available in the market according to Oddschecker (these markets will move quickly at the drop of a £10 note):

Potter           6/4   (various)
    Carsley         7/2   (Ladbrokes)
    Howe            5/1   (Betvictor)
    Pochettino    14/1  (various)  
    Klopp           14/1  (Paddy Power/Betfair) 
    Lampard       20/1  (various)
    Tuchel          20/1  (various)

33/1 bar
  • Did wonders on the team spirit/organisational side, and leaves us with much better memories around England than we've had for years, deserves massive praise for that.

Do think he was pretty limited tactically, too defensive, and has also got to the point any long serving manager can of favouring players/not wanting to drop them (a half fit Kane, for example).

Definitely time for change and we have to hope it'll keep the progress from the former, whilst improving the latter.  Time will tell.
  • I cannot see clubs falling over themselves to sign him. That in itself must tell you something.
  • As I've said previously I would love Howe to get it. Newcastle fans are, by all accounts, in panic mode that he will but they have a couple of things in their favour. That he might not be ready to let go of the day-to-day engagement with players and other leading contenders are more readily available. There is a £5m release clause in his contract at Newcastle that would have been £10m had they qualified for the Champions League.  
  • As I've said previously I would love Howe to get it. Newcastle fans are, by all accounts, in panic mode that he will but they have a couple of things in their favour. That he might not be ready to let go of the day-to-day engagement with players and other leading contenders are more readily available. There is a £5m release clause in his contract at Newcastle that would have been £10m had they qualified for the Champions League.  
    Can't see it yet, still think he will give Newcastle a few years. I think it will be Potter, maybe Carsley. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Leuth said:
    GS did a sterling job and got back pride of the Nation. He's made his decision and quickly. Neither Potter or Howe inspire me, nor Carsley come to that. I've said it before and will say it again, the FA need to break the bank and go for Klopp or Pep. I'm not stuck up on 'he must be British" Why? No British manager has been successful  in the PL for years.
    However I fear it'll be one of Potter or Howe. 
    Potter and Howe are good managers, much more tactically adept than Southgate. What's to fear?
    Potter did well at Brighton but not at Chelsea. Too many big names at Stamford Bridge may be?
    Howe is a safe pair of hands, but doesn't set the game on fire in my opinion. 
    We have a great squad of talented players, we need a manager who can get the best out of them playing attacking football. Neither of the above are, for me, that person.
    £5 million is nothing to what the FA have in their back pockets.
    I would be straight on the phone to him (Howe) if it was my call.
  • edited July 16
    I would really like Howe but I wonder if he feels like he still needs to win something major at club level before going to international management. I think he'll manage England one day for sure though, just maybe not this time around. 

I just can't get excited about Potter or Carsley really. Tuchel I'd be worried he'd fall out with the FA within a year and leave. 

Whoever it is has very big shoes to fill both on and off the field.
  • R0TW said:
    I cannot see clubs falling over themselves to sign him. That in itself must tell you something.

I don't believe Gareth Southgate has any ambition to go into club management after the Middlesbrough experience.
    Andy Woodman told me back when he was Charlton's keeper coach around 2009 that Gareth had no ambition to be a club manager again  ! A decent source I'm sure you'll agree. He took the FA route and doors opened for him to progress. 

Gareth Southgate is a wealthy man and doesn't need or crave the daily grind of club management.

• Bit sorry to see him go, nice bloke but the right decision.

Think the FA and England Managers/Coaches are like the British Psyche, defensive, negative and play it safe/cautious. Equally this squad have been built up so much but perhaps they’re not as good as we think.

We need to change the mentality of English football, I don’t hold my breath it will happen.
  • It’s funny how the English/non English thing goes in circles. For years it wasn’t even talked about. Then after Sven/Caps etc there was a call for an English manager because “foreigners don’t get our culture”. Now we’ve had an English manager for a while who didn’t win anything (although he’s still massively in credit to me) people are calling for another foreign manager.
  • Comment on BBC website saying FA not restricting themselves to an English manager - and Poch has apparently expressed an interest.

I would be happy with him, or Klopp (but I very much doubt he would apply).
  • Sponsored links:

• JaShea99 said:
    It’s funny how the English/non English thing goes in circles. For years it wasn’t even talked about. Then after Sven/Caps etc there was a call for an English manager because “foreigners don’t get our culture”. Now we’ve had an English manager for a while who didn’t win anything (although he’s still massively in credit to me) people are calling for another foreign manager.
    Don’t think it’s calling for a foreign manager, it’s just that the English managers available don’t fill you with much confidence. 
  • Has anyone mentioned Alan Curbishley yet?
  • Give it to Cooper won the world cup with the u19s
  • Would anyone take Henry? 

was interested the wales job apparently, been involved with both France and Belgium 

got his badges on the same FAW courses as vierra and arteta 
  • I hope the FA stipulate that whoever comes in must continue with the organisational/psychological/team-building aspect that Southgate has built there. That seems to be core to any semi-success we've had recently. 
  • Would anyone take Henry? 

was interested the wales job apparently, been involved with both France and Belgium 

got his badges on the same FAW courses as vierra and arteta 

Failed in MLS and was given the French Olympic side as nobody else really wanted it, it's the hardest of hard no's from me

• cafcpolo said:
    cafcpolo said:
    Unless they offer Howe an insane amount of money he's not interested in the England job yet.
    And Newcastle would demand a hefty fee as well 
    Which I've just been told is the case.
    Southgate was (allegedly) on £5m a year as England Manager.  No idea what the likes of Howe or others would be on as club managers?  But I think its more about the aggravation that comes with the job...