Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• Has anyone mentioned Alan Curbishley yet?

Yep 50/1
  • Leuth said:
    GS did a sterling job and got back pride of the Nation. He's made his decision and quickly. Neither Potter or Howe inspire me, nor Carsley come to that. I've said it before and will say it again, the FA need to break the bank and go for Klopp or Pep. I'm not stuck up on 'he must be British" Why? No British manager has been successful  in the PL for years.
    However I fear it'll be one of Potter or Howe. 
    Potter and Howe are good managers, much more tactically adept than Southgate. What's to fear?
    Potter did well at Brighton but not at Chelsea. Too many big names at Stamford Bridge may be?
    Howe is a safe pair of hands, but doesn't set the game on fire in my opinion. 
    We have a great squad of talented players, we need a manager who can get the best out of them playing attacking football. Neither of the above are, for me, that person.
    There does seem to be that perception on here about Howe. Newcastle fans absolutely adore him for the brand of attacking football he has brought them and most say that it is the best since Keegan was in charge. This is reflected in some of their wins in the last two seasons:

Fulham (4-1), Brentford (5-1), Villa (4-0), Southampton (4-1), Leicester (3-0), West Ham (5-1), Spurs (6-1), Brighton (4-1), Villa (5-1), Sheffield United (8-0), PSG (4-1), Palace (4-0), Man Utd (3-0), Chelsea (4-1), Fulham (3-0), Spurs (4-0), Sheffield United (5-1), Brentford (4-2), Burnley (4-1), Wolves (3-0) and West Ham (4-3).

First season he was at Newcastle they were heading for relegation and hadn't won a single of their first 12 matches when he took over - they finished 11th and won 12 of their final 18 games. The following season they qualified for the Champions League in 4th and last season ended up in 7th after a horrific list of injuries. For a fair chunk of the season they were without 10 plus players and (not including those that missed a game here and there) the likes of  Tonali (banned and missed 30 PL matches), Pope (missed 23), Botman (missed 21), Barnes (missed 21), Anderson (missed 17), Isak (missed 8), Wilson (missed 18), Murphy (missed 17), Trippier (missed 10) and Joelinton (missed 18). The ones in bold would almost certainly be in their best starting XI but the likes of Barnes, Murphy and Wilson are viable starting players /potential game changing subs. 
  • JaShea99 said:
    It’s funny how the English/non English thing goes in circles. For years it wasn’t even talked about. Then after Sven/Caps etc there was a call for an English manager because “foreigners don’t get our culture”. Now we’ve had an English manager for a while who didn’t win anything (although he’s still massively in credit to me) people are calling for another foreign manager.
    Don’t think it’s calling for a foreign manager, it’s just that the English managers available don’t fill you with much confidence. 
    Yeah fair enough. People are now open to having one again.
  • Would anyone take Henry? 

was interested the wales job apparently, been involved with both France and Belgium 

got his badges on the same FAW courses as vierra and arteta 
    May be the Irish might take him 🤷‍♂️
    Thought the Icelandic bloke got it the other day?
  • edited July 16
    Definitely the right thing to do. He inherited a shambles, and despite what people say, his record was good. He has built something but has gone as far as he could. Time for somebody else to try and get us over the line. 

But please, not Graham Potter.
  • Wouldn't there be a hefty compensation fee to pay for Klopp? Pretty sure if he takes a job in the next 12 months there is.

Not that I think he'd take it. 

was interested the wales job apparently, been involved with both France and Belgium 

Ireland have 🥩 over the 🖐️ ⚽️ , I wasn’t serious 
  • Wouldn't there be a hefty compensation fee to pay for Klopp? Pretty sure if he takes a job in the next 12 months there is.

He’s said he wants a break and turned down the USA the other day reaffirming his intention to take one
  • Did wonders on the team spirit/organisational side, and leaves us with much better memories around England than we've had for years, deserves massive praise for that.

Do think he was pretty limited tactically, too defensive, and has also got to the point any long serving manager can of favouring players/not wanting to drop them (a half fit Kane, for example).

Definitely time for change and we have to hope it'll keep the progress from the former, whilst improving the latter.  Time will tell.
    Think this is spot on. He got the whole country energised about the national side again and cannot argue with his results. With a better tactician could we be sitting here with a trophy from the last few years, possibly but not definite. 

Was very loyal but that did hurt us the other night, whether we would have won anyway again is a very different matter. Glad he's gone but deserves to be remembered in a positive manner. 
    The right time to go, as that had started to fade slightly. The audience numbers for the final were down, and there wasn't quite the same level of excitement as with the previous Southgate tournaments.

He's done a decent job, but nothing lasts forever.
  • Sponsored links:

Woooooooooosh

didnt clock that at all
  • Think Southgate did an excellent job of turning around a basket case in International football and getting us to a point where we took qualification for granted and expected great things. In the end I think he was tired and a little stale, and given some of the abuse he was getting, I'd imagine he is happy enough to bow out with two consecutive appearances in Finals.
    It's been said elsewhere but be careful what you wish for. Potter who did poorly at Chelsea where expectations were high. Pochettino ? hmmm. I'd hope for a next step up appointment, but we are in the same position Charlton were in when Curbishley said he would retire. England are in a good place now, but we dream of the next step, which after losing a final is a trophy. Charlton were dreaming of playing in Europe, but we went straight down. I'd go for Klopp and hang the expense. How he would feel about potentially being asked to beat Germany somewhere down the line, or if he wants the abuse that England managers traditionally get after a poor preformance, is another matter. But we need a good quality replacement. So you can put that CV back in your pocket Appleton.
  • Farewell to beige...
  • edited July 16
    Bit sorry to see him go, nice bloke but the right decision.

Think the FA and England Managers/Coaches are like the British Psyche, defensive, negative and play it safe/cautious. Equally this squad have been built up so much but perhaps they’re not as good as we think.

We need to change the mentality of English football, I don’t hold my breath it will happen.

Are you talking about San Marino ?

We have reached two Euro finals and WC semi final we don't need to throw the baby out with the bath water or a new broom; other cliché are available but the flair players/ fittest players still standing by the semi final and final need to be the 16 players used.

We have the template and many excellent players.

We don't need major surgery just a belief in young talents like Palmer and Gordon to be involved earlier; or in Gordon's case nearly totally ignored despite an immediate impact in his 89th minute cameo in an earlier match.

• Brownie12 said:
    Definitely the right thing to do. He inherited a shambles, and despite what people say, his record was good. He has built something but has gone as far as he could. Time for somebody else to try and get us over the line. 

Why would you be against Potter? I don’t know enough about him to form an opinion. 

I though he let his contract expire
  • I think the draws we received in 3 of the 4 tourneys were ridiculously favourable 
    I wonder what ranking each team had that we faced in the knockout stages 
  • Leuth said:
    GS did a sterling job and got back pride of the Nation. He's made his decision and quickly. Neither Potter or Howe inspire me, nor Carsley come to that. I've said it before and will say it again, the FA need to break the bank and go for Klopp or Pep. I'm not stuck up on 'he must be British" Why? No British manager has been successful  in the PL for years.
    Potter and Howe are good managers, much more tactically adept than Southgate. What's to fear?
    Potter did well at Brighton but not at Chelsea. Too many big names at Stamford Bridge may be?
    We have a great squad of talented players, we need a manager who can get the best out of them playing attacking football. Neither of the above are, for me, that person.
    Everyone gets the sack at Chelsea. They won the European cup and sacked their manager.
    I'd like to Howe but I think Potter will get the job. I don't think that would be such a bad choice, theres not a great deal of talent around that's available and I don't think its the attraction some would have us to believe. The money ain't bad though. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Brownie12 said:

Why would you be against Potter? I don’t know enough about him to form an opinion. 
    I just don’t see him as the man to take things forward. He probably would suit the FA as a yes man. The Chelsea job was too big a step too soon for him. I could be completely wrong at it might just well be the job for him. Just can’t see it. 
  • Would like Howe but seems unlikely.

Betfair is down but these are the best prices available in the market according to Oddschecker (these markets will move quickly at the drop of a £10 note):

Potter           6/4   (various)
    Carsley         7/2   (Ladbrokes)
    Howe            5/1   (Betvictor)
    Pochettino    14/1  (various)  
    Klopp           14/1  (Paddy Power/Betfair) 
    Lampard       20/1  (various)
    Tuchel          20/1  (various)

33/1 bar
    And a couple of hours later, Potter is on the drift with Carsley the biggest positive percentage wise:

Potter         2/1 from 6/4
    Carsley       5/2 from 7/2
    Howe          9/2 from 5/1
    Pochettino  11/1 from 14/1
    Klopp          10/1 from 14/1

• Have I seen SCP mentioned a couple of times?     

Who's that?     
  • Would love Klopp to take it, but doubt the FA would even bother approaching him. No chance he would take the job imo. We will get another "safe" appointment and have another few years bemoaning the fact that the squad of players we have is being wasted.
    Klopp is destined for the German job
  • Have I seen SCP mentioned a couple of times?     

Who's that?     
    Wait....Powell?    If so, how ironic.  :#

• Mark Palios, one time FA chief executive endorsed Carsley for the job on Times Radio yesterday .. his reasoning was that Carsley was in at the beginning of the FA's coaching 'revolution' along with Southgate, he has managed the juniors to world wide success and would be the perfect 'continuity candidate' .. i m o it would be a far too cozy appointment, the England senior team needs a good shake up and influence from outside the FA coaching circle 

Yep, never forgotten or forgiven. Still don’t understand why Richard Dunne let him sit on the pitch with him after the game. Should have decked the cheating twat 😏.  Aaaannndddd breathe!!! 😉

We, the Republic, wanted Carsley, but he decided to stay put. Done a great job with the England U21s and you could do worse than follow the Spanish lead and promote someone who will be working with a great set of players coming through who he knows and who know him. 

England have a wealth of young talent. Southgate has done brilliantly for you and there really isn’t much more needed to get that next step of winning a tournament. 

P.S. I’m dreading the Nations League games 🫣🙄
  • Leuth said:
    There does seem to be that perception on here about Howe. Newcastle fans absolutely adore him for the brand of attacking football he has brought them and most say that it is the best since Keegan was in charge. This is reflected in some of their wins in the last two seasons:

Fulham (4-1), Brentford (5-1), Villa (4-0), Southampton (4-1), Leicester (3-0), West Ham (5-1), Spurs (6-1), Brighton (4-1), Villa (5-1), Sheffield United (8-0), PSG (4-1), Palace (4-0), Man Utd (3-0), Chelsea (4-1), Fulham (3-0), Spurs (4-0), Sheffield United (5-1), Brentford (4-2), Burnley (4-1), Wolves (3-0) and West Ham (4-3).

First season he was at Newcastle they were heading for relegation and hadn't won a single of their first 12 matches when he took over - they finished 11th and won 12 of their final 18 games. The following season they qualified for the Champions League in 4th and last season ended up in 7th after a horrific list of injuries. For a fair chunk of the season they were without 10 plus players and (not including those that missed a game here and there) the likes of  Tonali (banned and missed 30 PL matches), Pope (missed 23), Botman (missed 21), Barnes (missed 21), Anderson (missed 17), Isak (missed 8), Wilson (missed 18), Murphy (missed 17), Trippier (missed 10) and Joelinton (missed 18). The ones in bold would almost certainly be in their best starting XI but the likes of Barnes, Murphy and Wilson are viable starting players /potential game changing subs. 
    He should have had the job before Southgate. I’m not sure what else he is supposed to have achieved with that group of players. 
  • Klopp for me, but I don't think he'll take it.

Failing that, then Howe, but I'd prefer not to "nick" a manager from a club team. 

Not sure about Potter.

But not Poch.