Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• I don't understand why people question people as having a bizarre view who say it should be an Englishman for the role. 

It's international football, the coach should be from the same country as that's the whole objective of the tournament, the best of your Nation up against the others. 

Club football is where that goes out of the window, and already has in most countries, when you look at the managers and players for every top club from their respective leagues over the years. 

This isn't 'whoever is the best for the role should get it' as it goes completely against the point of international football. It is far from a bizarre take. 
    100%
  • MarcusH26 said:
    I don't understand how Martinez keeps on getting chances at international level. Achieved nothing with an incredibly strong Belgium side and then let himself be walked all over by the ego of one player with Portugal. 
    Strange how he got the Belgium job in he first place. Choosing someone with no connections to Belgium, an unexceptional playing career, and who hadn't managed one of the top sides was a surprising appointment for a country with a genuinely good set of players.
  • If we are to go for a foreign coach I'd like to see Big Ange get the gig 
    Yep, Postecoglu's brand of attacking football might just suit our current players perfectly 
  • edited July 16
    Fuck that shit. If we don’t win, ‘so be it’?

Apologies for going peak Charlie Sheen here, but life’s about winning. Sports about winning.

I mean - Pep playing champagne football with some of the best players in world football? Or Graham Potter boring us to death as we scrape a 1-1 draw v Iran in the World Cup.

But it’s all done nice and English so that’s okay. Better luck next time?

Nah not for me. 
    There is no guarantee Pep achieves anything better than Gareth Southgate already has.

Pep has a prescribed way of playing - at club level, if he doesn’t have the player he wants, his club can go out and buy one of the best in the world for him.

How on earth do you expect Pep to get the type of tune you’re expecting out of this England defence and midfield?
  • Southgate deserves praise for the job he has done. He came in when England needed a pragmatic approach but the issue for me is that we have had an emergence of attacking talent and the manager has to embrace that. He has stubbornly remained on the same course despite this development. I see it as the team moving away from his qualities. Sometimes, things that are qualities in some situations can become liabilities.
  • edited July 16
    If we are to go for a foreign coach I'd like to see Big Ange get the gig 
    Yep, Postecoglu's brand of attacking football might just suit our current players perfectly 
    I'm a big fan of Postecoglou & think it would be very interesting, but I fear we'd get absolutely destroyed at international level playing that kamikaze brand of football. 

Would be entertaining though 
  • Keep Southgate so we can have the lucky draws and get given a bye to finals 
    but get a coach with half a clue to push us on to where we don’t struggle against Slovenia (57th) and Slovakia (54th)
  • If we are to go for a foreign coach I'd like to see Big Ange get the gig 
    I'm a big fan of Postecoglou & think it would be very interesting, but I fear we'd get absolutely destroyed at international level playing that kamikaze brand of football. 

Would be entertaining though 
    An Aussie in charge of the England team. No thanks, just on the basis of the amount of stick I'll get here.  :D 
  • Eddie Howe anyone?
  • Sponsored links:

• Eddie Howe anyone?
    He’s  been mentioned several times on this thread . One , he’s unlikely to leave Newcastle and two , what has he actually done in recent years to warrant the big job ? 
  • I've spoke to a lot of my mates about this and although I'd love to see what a genius like Pep could do with these players, it wouldn't be right. 

If it means we are stuck with an eternal life of not winning, so be it. There are plenty of other countries that have it the same, I'm pretty glad we have been able to make runs these tournaments, and despite the pain, we have had some real memorable moments.

Instead of being lazy and throwing money at the best manager, we should be identifying why there is such a lack of good English coaches, and be investing in that. 
    They’re mutually exclusive then obviously 
  • Eddie Howe anyone?
    He’s  been mentioned several times on this thread . One , he’s unlikely to leave Newcastle and two , what has he actually done in recent years to warrant the big job ? 
    He’s a good coach. You could have said the same about Luis de la Fuente not so long ago. 
  • The more I think about it the more I'm warming to Potter.
    The only real blot on his copy book was his time at Chelsea. But that job has blotted the copy books of much higher profile managers than him.

His Brighton side was a joy to watch, played with freedom and used the ball well. He took some big scalps during his time there. He was never scared to change things up no matter who he was playing against, so the polar opposite to Southgate.
    Albeit at a lowish level,he has known success and won things, especially during his time in Sweden where he won back to back promotions. Again contrast that with Southgate, who not only as a manager but as a player has seen hardly any success in actually winning anything. I think he won the league cup with Villa once but that is about it.
    A big name like Klopp is never going to go for this. He'd probably spend most of his time in Germany and pop over for the odd meeting and friendly. I just don't think it works.
  • MrBurns said:
    Eddie Howe anyone?
    Got Newcastle into the champions league and a league cup final 
    "Qualified for a competition", "lost in the final of a cup".  Is that any better than what we're achieving already? 
  • The more I think about it the more I'm warming to Potter.
    The only real blot on his copy book was his time at Chelsea. But that job has blotted the copy books of much higher profile managers than him.

His Brighton side was a joy to watch, played with freedom and used the ball well. He took some big scalps during his time there. He was never scared to change things up no matter who he was playing against, so the polar opposite to Southgate.
    Albeit at a lowish level,he has known success and won things, especially during his time in Sweden where he won back to back promotions. Again contrast that with Southgate, who not only as a manager but as a player has seen hardly any success in actually winning anything. I think he won the league cup with Villa once but that is about it.
    A big name like Klopp is never going to go for this. He'd probably spend most of his time in Germany and pop over for the odd meeting and friendly. I just don't think it works.
    I got tipped off last week that Potter has basically got the job if and when Southgate goes. The guy who tipped me off put a fuck ton of money on it, so he certainly believes it's true! 
  • well he's 6/4 favourite 
  • well he's 6/4 favourite 
    He was 3-1 when I got the tip, but I could only put 20 quid on my account lol so the drinks are not on me! 
  • JiMMy 85 said:
    well he's 6/4 favourite 
    He was 3-1 when I got the tip, but I could only put 20 quid on my account lol so the drinks are not on me! 
    Think outside the box. Go to Wetherspoons 
  • Sponsored links:

• JiMMy 85 said:
    The more I think about it the more I'm warming to Potter.

I got tipped off last week that Potter has basically got the job if and when Southgate goes. The guy who tipped me off put a fuck ton of money on it, so he certainly believes it's true! 
    Interestingly Potter turned down Ajax recently which seems a good job, and also was favourite for Leicester but didn't end up going.  Might be waiting to see what happens with Southgate.
  • He got Brighton playing some lovely football - Chelsea were a total shit show when he went there so we can probably chalk that one off

He would certainly seem to be an easy next 'English' choice, cheap as well as out of work
  • Fuck that shit. If we don’t win, ‘so be it’?

Apologies for going peak Charlie Sheen here, but life’s about winning. Sports about winning.

I mean - Pep playing champagne football with some of the best players in world football? Or Graham Potter boring us to death as we scrape a 1-1 draw v Iran in the World Cup.

Nah not for me. 
    If you ain't first, you're last : Ricky Bobby
  • Fuck that shit. If we don’t win, ‘so be it’?

Nah not for me. 
    There is no guarantee Pep achieves anything better than Gareth Southgate already has.

Pep has a prescribed way of playing - at club level, if he doesn’t have the player he wants, his club can go out and buy one of the best in the world for him.

How on earth do you expect Pep to get the type of tune you’re expecting out of this England defence and midfield?
    This, plus how is Pep going to get the hours he needs on the training pitch to drill the team into the way he wants to play? 

• Potter is out of work, is English and has managed in the Premier.
    At Brighton they played possession football and were easy on the eye but I saw games when they didn't have a cutting edge and over passed. 

At Chelsea he had so many players to work with he looked a little lost. Was he given enough time ? 

I followed his story in Sweden when he went to a CAFC type club(even lower in 4th tier) that were down in the gutter and even fans of Ostersund told him not to take the Job.
    That was club football where he could build the club and eventually they ended up in Europe. From 4th tier to European football in 7 seasons.
    This is a hard concept for many CL members to grasp but Potter tried to emulate Pep and not have a fixed formation and 3-5-2, 4-4-2 and 4-3-3 would happen in the same game !
    He did this in Sweden and he has played with fluidity at Swansea and Brighton.

Pep Guardiola stated he rates Potter probably because he tries to emulate Pep's side despite the players not being of the same high Quality.

• Unless they offer Howe an insane amount of money he's not interested in the England job yet.
  • cafcpolo said:
    Unless they offer Howe an insane amount of money he's not interested in the England job yet.
    And Newcastle would demand a hefty fee as well 
  • I don't understand why people question people as having a bizarre view who say it should be an Englishman for the role. 

It's international football, the coach should be from the same country as that's the whole objective of the tournament, the best of your Nation up against the others. 

Club football is where that goes out of the window, and already has in most countries, when you look at the managers and players for every top club from their respective leagues over the years. 

This isn't 'whoever is the best for the role should get it' as it goes completely against the point of international football. It is far from a bizarre take. 
    I used to hold this opinion. It changed around the time that Sven was making regular visits to The Valley and I thought how refreshing it was to have an England manager that wasn't stuck in the tired old mindset of only watching players from the big boys.

It wasn't really Sven's actions that changed my mind though, but having to think through the issue when confronted with the new reality of having a Swedish manager for the England team. In particular,  thinking about where the cut-off point should be in this self-enforced  apartheid. If you're going to insist on an English manager, then surely all the coaches should be English too. And if the coaches have to be English then surely all the backroom staff; the physios, the doctor, the dietician right down to the groundsman, the ball boys and the apocryphal tea lady would all have to be English too. There isn't a natural cut off point. You could go on ad infinitum. 

It is in the nature of most work that jobs have fuzzy boundaries. Whilst there tend to be things at the centre of job roles that can't or won't be done by colleagues, real life often throws up grey areas. There aren't as many clear cut delineations as we might imagine. Who exactly does what in any given situation is often driven by who is available. There is one delineation though that is very clear cut.  So clear cut in fact that it is enshrined in the laws of the game: only the players can actually play. That is the natural point at which to say, here you must be English (or at least, your granny has to be), and elsewhere you don't. 

Perhaps it's time we had another overseas manager, so that we can all benefit from a little enforced re-think. 
  • I’d get rid of Gareth. Tactically I don’t rate him but he’s done a very good job. However I don’t like the idea of being regular failures, I think mentally that’s difficult to overcome. 

I’d beg Pep to take it and offer him whatever he wants. Realistically where does he go after City. He’s done England, Germany and Spain and I can’t see him in France or Italy. 
    I can’t see Pep even considering it. He will without doubt want to manage Spain when he’s done winning at club level. I think it’s almost nailed on he’ll go to Italy next and then look at the Spain job. Winning the league in the four big European nations is some achievement and I can’t see him not wanting that as his managerial legacy. 
    Possibly, I just can't see him in Italy personally. 

With regards to Spain, he has already said he is unlikely to take it, rumoured to be because he is a "proud Catalan". 
  • He's resigned