Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• Chizz said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Tough gig following Southgate, with his record. 

Would prefer it if Southgate continues. Which I’m pretty sure he will. 
    Dont think he will. He has had 2 finals and lost both of them. We should have beaten the Italians and I do believe Spain were there be had as looked poor defensively. 

It could be a case of be careful what you wish for but we do need a change.

For me, I'd go all out to get Eddie Howe.  
    How confident would you be that Eddie Howe will definitely win the next World Cup? Because, unless he does, he'd be seen as a retrograde step.
    No more or less than Southgate but a change is needed IMO. 

Certainly things have improved during his tenure but that style of football with the players at his disposal was poor and let's be honest, we were lucky to stay in the competition as long as we did and as soon as we played a team with genuine quality, we came unstuck. Don't get me wrong, the players have to step up also.

As I say, getting to 2 finals is great but losing both, not so much. Let someone else have a crack at it to see if they can get us over the line.
    You're no more confident that the person you will go all out to get would do better than the current manager? 
  • edited July 15
    Another consideration is; would the likes of Grealish be happy to return under Southgate, for the next campaign? Genuine question
  • Southgate has been the perfect person to manage England these last few years, but tactically is now stifling our football. Our strength should be up front, with a generation of exciting young attacking players coming through, all used to playing with a high press, and instead we played stodgy football, more suited to a mid table PL team grinding out results.

I imagine the French are having the same conversations, and that's with a manager who's actually won things. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Another consideration is; would the likes of Grealish be happy to return under Southgate, for the next campaign? Genuine question
    Grealish needs to have a decent season before he can get on his high horse about not being picked. 

I'm very pro Southgate, but I think he got it wrong with the front three, and not having anyone to run in behind Kane, instead picking two excellent players, but both who want it to feet, and there needs a bit more of an identity to the team that isn't just tribute act to early Deschamp. 
  • Gribbo said:
    Don't think that should be a consideration.

Players should want to play for England. Not seen anything to say that Grealish wouldn't play if selected.

One of the many good thing GS did was end the in squad cliques and picking "big name" players when injured although I think he reverted this tournament to the old mistake of "get all the best players on the pitch even if they are out of position or out of form" we've seen under previous managers.
  • Gribbo said:
    Don't think that should be a consideration.

Players should want to play for England. Not seen anything to say that Grealish wouldn't play if selected.

One of the many good thing GS did was end the in squad cliques and picking "big name" players when injured although I think he reverted this tournament to the old mistake of "get all the best players on the pitch even if they are out of position or out of form" we've seen under previous managers.
    I can kind of understand why but I also think Southgate stayed loyal to Harry Kane at least one match too long. 
  • Strangely I think Southgate was more likely to quit if we had won. Having lost, the search for the right manager has even more weighing on it and I'm not sure there are enough outstanding candidates to attract at the moment.
  • Guardiola, obv. Why settle for less? He's said he wants to manage international football, and his home country doesn't exactly need a manager 
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    JamesSeed said:

Dont think he will. He has had 2 finals and lost both of them. We should have beaten the Italians and I do believe Spain were there be had as looked poor defensively. 

How confident would you be that Eddie Howe will definitely win the next World Cup? Because, unless he does, he'd be seen as a retrograde step.

Certainly things have improved during his tenure but that style of football with the players at his disposal was poor and let's be honest, we were lucky to stay in the competition as long as we did and as soon as we played a team with genuine quality, we came unstuck. Don't get me wrong, the players have to step up also.

As I say, getting to 2 finals is great but losing both, not so much. Let someone else have a crack at it to see if they can get us over the line.
    You're no more confident that the person you will go all out to get would do better than the current manager? 
    Because it is an unknown quantity. You could get Pep in, doesn't mean it will go well. 

My point is that change is needed. you cant expect a guy to reach 2 finals, lose both and stay on because it was better than it was before? Not having it. That is a squad full of world class players who should playing to full capacity and not squeaking past teams like Slovakia and the like.
  • The Spanish manager had a similar trajectory to Southgate both having moved from their respective U21’s.
    I think Southgate staying on is something that makes sense to me.
    Clearly day to day club management is very different to international management, especially in England, and Southgate has handled his brief very well indeed.
    If you want a sure fire bet, put money on Southgate getting a Knighthood in the next honours list.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Carter said:
    Southgate hasn't gone, he is probably pig sick of getting us deeper into tournaments and being shredded by people who are never in danger of taking a job 

I'm not overly enamoured with how we have played this tournament but to be talking about an Argentinian or a German to manage the national side is mental. No, absolutely not. 

Replacing Southgate with Potter is a colossal roll of the dice as is trying to prise Howe away from Newcastle. 

The absolute worse thing to do is keep Southgate on. Tactically no where near the level needed, we need a front footed manager who can get the best out of world class attacking players and not play a low block. 

Another missed opportunity and tournament wasted with us riding our luck the whole time. A good manager would have won something with this team over the last 4 competitions. 
     It's a tough one.
    Southgate has done more right than Wrong since he took it up.
    One thing I would say regarding this current crop.
    Although no doubt blessed with attacking talent that really isn't the case defensively. One could argue that had he gone for a more offensive set up would Spain have been out of sight by half time?
    But Southgate does have deficiencies. His insistence on playing players out of their natural positions just because they've hit a bit of form or have a big reputation needs to stop.
    I also keep hearing him say the team didn't play as they should or have been asked to. He appears to lack the authority to change that. His failure to use substitutes as a stick to beat the under performing really doesn't help either.
    I think the time has come for him to move away from it now. I for one thank him for all he's done.It's been a blast.

But honestly, who next?? Not a scooby!
  • I think it’ll be Carsley. Easy and easily justified appointment by the fuddy duddy old boys at The FA. Relatively cheap, unlike going for a Klopp or similar.
  • change is needed - Gareth has done superbly but almost seems to set in his ways now and reluctant to embrace change given the wealth of attacking talent we've now got.

he goes with his head held high (and probably a knighood)

I'm past caring if the next manager is English or not - obviously would prefer an Englishman but just don't see a suitable stand out candidate.

Klopp for me (Pep if he'd do it). But I could fully get behind Klopp I reckon and I think he'd use the talent better than currently.

Just want to see us win something please and play a better brand of attacking football.
  • J BLOCK said:
    Carter said:
    Southgate hasn't gone, he is probably pig sick of getting us deeper into tournaments and being shredded by people who are never in danger of taking a job 

I'm not overly enamoured with how we have played this tournament but to be talking about an Argentinian or a German to manage the national side is mental. No, absolutely not. 

Replacing Southgate with Potter is a colossal roll of the dice as is trying to prise Howe away from Newcastle. 

The absolute worse thing to do is keep Southgate on. Tactically no where near the level needed, we need a front footed manager who can get the best out of world class attacking players and not play a low block. 

Another missed opportunity and tournament wasted with us riding our luck the whole time. A good manager would have won something with this team over the last 4 competitions. 
     It's a tough one.
    Southgate has done more right than Wrong since he took it up.
    One thing I would say regarding this current crop.
    Although no doubt blessed with attacking talent that really isn't the case defensively. One could argue that had he gone for a more offensive set up would Spain have been out of sight by half time?
    But Southgate does have deficiencies. His insistence on playing players out of their natural positions just because they've hit a bit of form or have a big reputation needs to stop.
    I also keep hearing him say the team didn't play as they should or have been asked to. He appears to lack the authority to change that. His failure to use substitutes as a stick to beat the under performing really doesn't help either.
    I think the time has come for him to move away from it now. I for one thank him for all he's done.It's been a blast.

But honestly, who next?? Not a scooby!

The rot had set in a bit with England before the Euros, as the performances and results since last summer haven't been that good.

Failing to win away against Ukraine and North Macedonia
    Only beating Malta at home 2-0
    Then in the 4 friendlies this year, we lost against Brazil and Iceland, drew against Belgium and only beat Bosnia.

By contrast last June, in the space of 4 days we won 4-0 in Malta then beat North Macedonia at home 7-0. A shame the Euros weren't played a year ago...
  • Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    JamesSeed said:

Because it is an unknown quantity. You could get Pep in, doesn't mean it will go well. 

My point is that change is needed. you cant expect a guy to reach 2 finals, lose both and stay on because it was better than it was before? Not having it. That is a squad full of world class players who should playing to full capacity and not squeaking past teams like Slovakia and the like.
    Do you not think there's a risk in going "all out" to get a trophy-less manager, simply because "change is needed"?  

• If you choose to replace the manager now, you have to be absolutely certain that he - or she - will be more successful than Allardyce, Hodgson, Capello, McClaren, Eriksson, Keegan, Venables, Taylor, Robson, Greenwood and Revie.  Is there an outstanding candidate who can demonstrate a better CV than all of those were able to? 
  • I think it’ll be Carsley. Easy and easily justified appointment by the fuddy duddy old boys at The FA. Relatively cheap, unlike going for a Klopp or similar.

Considering the amount of millions that the FA suits decided Capello should received, so not sure cheap is fair though obviously giving it to the Under 21 coach Carsley is cheaper.
    The players hated Capello's authoritarian approach and if we go foreign again then the cuddles that would come with Klopp would be preferred by the modern player. I think Howe would be a good International manager and the style would be attractive. 

The Prime minister and the England men's football manager is the most high pressured and high profile jobs going in this Country.

If Gareth stayed on in some capacity and we had a dovetail handover that would be best. I just don't want him to pick the team anymore or decide the tactics.
  • Sponsored links:

• Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    Chizz said:
    JamesSeed said:

Do you not think there's a risk in going "all out" to get a trophy-less manager, simply because "change is needed"?  

Don't think Southgate is awash in trophies? 

We wouldn't be having this conversation if Southgate had won something....
  • Someone that has won stuff as a manager and who plays aggressive front foot football, whatever it costs. Not another constant loser or somebody that says the “right thing”.
  • I’d get rid of Gareth. Tactically I don’t rate him but he’s done a very good job. However I don’t like the idea of being regular failures, I think mentally that’s difficult to overcome. 

I’d beg Pep to take it and offer him whatever he wants. Realistically where does he go after City. He’s done England, Germany and Spain and I can’t see him in France or Italy. 
  • Leuth said:
    Guardiola, obv. Why settle for less? He's said he wants to manage international football, and his home country doesn't exactly need a manager 
    He's not English.

England manager should be English. Winning under a non English manager would tarnish any success.
    Residency qualification? ;)

Considering the amount of millions that the FA suits decided Capello should received, so not sure cheap is fair though obviously giving it to the Under 21 coach Carsley is cheaper.
    The players hated Capello's authoritarian approach and if we go foreign again then the cuddles that would come with Klopp would be preferred by the modern player. I think Howe would be a good International manager and the style would be attractive. 

The Prime minister and the England men's football manager is the most high pressured and high profile jobs going in this Country.

If Gareth stayed on in some capacity and we had a dovetail handover that would be best. I just don't want him to pick the team anymore or decide the tactics.
    Why would he stay on and be an irrelevance. If he goes I hope he goes. Last thing a new man of any calibre wants is the old boss peering over his shoulder. It’s happened twice with Manchester Utd with Busby and then Ferguson and both times it resulted in a few years in the wilderness. New man, new era, new broom. 
  • edited July 15
    We don't win the big games - it's not going to change under Southgate. If we leave him in charge we'll just get more of the same.

Someone else should have a chance now. We should have won the 2020 Euros and the 2018 WC semi-final with a better tactician.

We were lucky to reach the 2024 final - too many poor games.

I'd like to see Howe in charge

• I’d get rid of Gareth. Tactically I don’t rate him but he’s done a very good job. However I don’t like the idea of being regular failures, I think mentally that’s difficult to overcome. 

I’d beg Pep to take it and offer him whatever he wants. Realistically where does he go after City. He’s done England, Germany and Spain and I can’t see him in France or Italy. 
    I can’t see Pep even considering it. He will without doubt want to manage Spain when he’s done winning at club level. I think it’s almost nailed on he’ll go to Italy next and then look at the Spain job. Winning the league in the four big European nations is some achievement and I can’t see him not wanting that as his managerial legacy. 
  • Leuth said:
    Guardiola, obv. Why settle for less? He's said he wants to manage international football, and his home country doesn't exactly need a manager 
    He's not English.

England manager should be English. Winning under a non English manager would tarnish any success.
    Not for me it wouldn’t. 

The loosening of rules as to who can play for England would…..but not who the manager is. 
  • Leuth said:
    He's not English.

Who was that last three English managers to win anything (club or country) and what was it?