Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• I'd take Pochettino.

Good at moulding youngsters into a decent team, and we've got a young team.
  • I’d want Howe. Suspect it will be Potter. 
  • Lee Carsley, after 2026 WC after Southgate stays on for another 2 years
  • Someone that don't stifle the flare of these young players. Which would probably be a foreigner, lookng at the names being mentioned.
  • I reckon that photo of Appleton will appear within 10 minutes.
    Somone to throw darts at. It had to be done t to take away the pain. However low you feel, it felt worse when he was in charge.
  • Let's pick a winner as manager next. Southgate has never won anything major as a player or manager bar one League Cup. He is out of his depth with the young players around him and only still manager because the FA suits like his media friendly image.

• Get Eddie Howe in before he is sacked at Newcastle for some shit Italian manager has beem
  • Give it to Sir Chris.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    Someone that don't stifle the flare of these young players. Which would probably be a foreigner, lookng at the names being mentioned.
    This. Get in Klopp. Or dare I say it because weirdly, I think he'd be great as a national coach...Mourinho.
  • MarcusH26 said:
    It's the FA I wouldn't be surprised if they've got Potter ready to go if Southgate goes. I'd put a call into Poch and see if there's any interest from him but I can't see him being interested. 
    The bloke who managed to not win Ligue Un with PSG? 
  • If its an English coach it's got to be Howe, no one else comes close. 
  • We can all look at the big names, but look at Spain. Maybe an England youth coach like Carsley is the best approach.
  • edited July 14
    We can all look at the big names, but look at Spain. Maybe an England youth coach like Carsley is the best approach.
    Scaloni as well... the latest winners of the World Cup and Euros have had meh Managerial CVs

Yet once again the majority of England fans will be going: "Ooo he's got to have done it with a club team"
  • Steve Evans
    You say that Henry the technical area is looking a lot larger these days.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    Someone that don't stifle the flare of these young players. Which would probably be a foreigner, lookng at the names being mentioned.
    I'm not sure that Eddie Howe stifles flair? In the last two seasons Newcastle drew 3-3 with City and amongst their wins were Fulham (4-1), Brentford (5-1), Villa (4-0), Southampton (4-1), Leicester (3-0), West Ham (5-1), Spurs (6-1), Brighton (4-1), Villa (5-1), Sheffield United (8-0), PSG (4-1), Palace (4-0), Man Utd (3-0), Chelsea (4-1), Fulham (3-0), Spurs (4-0), Sheffield United (5-1), Brentford (4-2), Burnley (4-1), Wolves (3-0) and West Ham (4-3).

You have to have to allow the players to play to do all of that. A lot of those that have excelled under Howe are young in footballing terms too - the likes of Isak (24), Gordon (23), Miley (18), Livramento (21), Hall (19) and Anderson (21).     
  • Yes to Carsley - we’ve got the formula, keep it intact.

Scaloni, Southgate, De La Fuente… all have in common that they managed in the youth system before taking the top job. Southgate the only one of those three who hasn’t won but he’s got really really close.

Going back a few more years to 2018 & 2014 World Cup winners France & Spain… Deschamps, Low - neither of them really had any kind of impressive club pedigree before taking their teams to glory.

Who was the last bloke to win a major tournament who was also a successful club manager beforehand? You’re probably looking at Vicente del Bosque?
    He'd won the league as a manager and got Monaco to a Champions League final.
  • THE hardest job in football.
    I have absolutely no idea. Whoever's chosen is doomed to failure.
    We are just not very good. We rode our luck in 66 and have dined off it, to extraordinary levels ever since.
    We've tried everything. From the ultra successful disciplinarian Cappello to the softly softly players mate Southgate.Nothing works

Good luck to anyone trying to have a go. The impossible job.
  • cafcpolo said:
    I think it'll be Potter.

Howe would be a good option but not sure he'd take it.

Can't see us going for a foreign manager, which we should consider if a good one is available and wants it, but won't.

Definitely won't get someone like Klopp.
    Too soon for Howe. He sees it as the last role you'd take before stepping out of the game.

Eddie Howe has been a manager for 17 years in every division up to Premier. 
    At 46 he would play a brand of football to get the best out of our attacking players including Gordon !
    Palmer would start more games.
  • Gribbo said:
    I'm not sure that Eddie Howe stifles flair? In the last two seasons Newcastle drew 3-3 with City and amongst their wins were Fulham (4-1), Brentford (5-1), Villa (4-0), Southampton (4-1), Leicester (3-0), West Ham (5-1), Spurs (6-1), Brighton (4-1), Villa (5-1), Sheffield United (8-0), PSG (4-1), Palace (4-0), Man Utd (3-0), Chelsea (4-1), Fulham (3-0), Spurs (4-0), Sheffield United (5-1), Brentford (4-2), Burnley (4-1), Wolves (3-0) and West Ham (4-3).

You have to have to allow the players to play to do all of that. A lot of those that have excelled under Howe are young in footballing terms too - the likes of Isak (24), Gordon (23), Miley (18), Livramento (21), Hall (19) and Anderson (21).     
    Eddie Howe it is then
  • edited July 14
    Yes to Carsley - we’ve got the formula, keep it intact.

Scaloni, Southgate, De La Fuente… all have in common that they managed in the youth system before taking the top job. Southgate the only one of those three who hasn’t won but he’s got really really close.

Going back a few more years to 2018 & 2014 World Cup winners France & Spain… Deschamps, Low - neither of them really had any kind of impressive club pedigree before taking their teams to glory.

Who was the last bloke to win a major tournament who was also a successful club manager beforehand? You’re probably looking at Vicente del Bosque?
    He'd won the league as a manager and got Monaco to a Champions League final.
    Sure that’s the biggest stretch of the lot but when he took the France job in 2012 he’d just been let go by Marseille for massive underperformance and his managerial club career was in the toilet. We did the same around the same time by appointing Hodgson…
  • Klopp. All day.

Imagine him with these players. And he knows how to win stuff.
  • Poch
  • Has Southgate gone? Only just left the pub