Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Next England Manager - Thomas Tuchel

Comments

• I think it should be an English manager, after all it's called England and so it's top man should share that nationality. So probably Howe or Potter if either of them take it. I think Carsley played for Ireland, though was born here. Not any other regularly successful managers to choose from really. 
  • For me - I thank GS for helping out some pride back in the team but the fact remains he has won as much as any other manager since Alf Ramsey. In other words - fuck all. 

We have failed 4 times now. There is zero logic in saying ‘I’d give him another tournament’. The stats suggest it’s unlikely to to end another way.
  • I think it should be an English manager, after all it's called England and so it's top man should share that nationality. So probably Howe or Potter if either of them take it. I think Carsley played for Ireland, though was born here. Not any other regularly successful managers to choose from really. 
    Never get this.

England managers are by and large crap, its why none of the top club sides go for them.

No one batted an eyelid when the women's team went and got the Dutch manager who'd won the last Euros, and she came in with good ideas.  Why is the men's team different?

The "we have to go with an English manager" got us Steve McClaren.

If there's a good English candidate?  Great.  If there's a better foreign one, get them in.
     Spain's manager has never managed at a relatively high level. He, like Southgate was drafted from their national U2 side.
    Southgate is far too cautious. He got very lucky to stay in this competition when up against very mediocre opposition. He was seconds away from a Hodgson turn out don't forget.
  • how about this suggestion…..Southgate?

2 euro finals in a row, 1 World Cup semi. Howe, porter, Bartley, why? What can they offer?

klopp would interest me but only if Southgate decided to go. I wouldn’t sack him 
    We maybe wouldn't have lost if he had not started Kane, and we had a forward line that did its job.
  • how about this suggestion…..Southgate?

2 euro finals in a row, 1 World Cup semi. Howe, porter, Bartley, why? What can they offer?

klopp would interest me but only if Southgate decided to go. I wouldn’t sack him 
    It's mainly hindsight which can be offered for those future appointments though. 

Before Southgate, if you asked the same question, no one was confidently going to tell you "2 Euro finals in a row, 1 World Cup semi". 
  • I want to see Southgate win the World Cup in two years' time.  

For the first time, there's an England manager who, at the end of their tenure, I would much prefer them to stay on.  

But, perhaps that makes it the perfect time for Southgate to bow out? 
  • Southgate in charge is too predictable and not very exciting, statistically the best England manager in my lifetime, but if he stays on I will not be going to Wembley to watch England, he holds us back, and misses obvious stuff, when things are not working, he’s too reactive, rather than proactive, felt like we played with the handbrake on yesterday, and that Pickford was our best player, and kept the score down from being a 4 or 5 embarrassment.
  • Sponsored links:

• Gribbo said:
    Curbs 16/1
    The sort of appointment thay should have made instead of that Capello idiot.

No more foreign managers. The same people who bemoan Southgate want to retry the failed experiment.  Bollocks to Klopp, Guardiola, Pochetino. It must be an English manager, preferably someone who’s been working already in the England set up or has played for England.
  • I have a suspicion that Southgate will stay on and go after World Cup.
  • I have a suspicion that Southgate will stay on and go after World Cup.
    Hope so
  • Got to be an Englishman for me. 

Wouldn't feel proper winning it under Pep or Klopp etc.

Leave that for developing football countries.  
  • Tough gig following Southgate, with his record. 

Would prefer it if Southgate continues. Which I’m pretty sure he will. 
  • Chizz said:
    I want to see Southgate win the World Cup in two years' time.  

For the first time, there's an England manager who, at the end of their tenure, I would much prefer them to stay on.  

But, perhaps that makes it the perfect time for Southgate to bow out? 
    I wanted Bobby Robson and Venables to stay.  Southgate has united the squad and is a thoroughly decent human being, but I would be far from upset to see him depart although who would replace him?  Having said that the England job is a much attractive position now.
  • Southgate in charge is too predictable and not very exciting, statistically the best England manager in my lifetime, but if he stays on I will not be going to Wembley to watch England, he holds us back, and misses obvious stuff, when things are not working, he’s too reactive, rather than proactive, felt like we played with the handbrake on yesterday, and that Pickford was our best player, and kept the score down from being a 4 or 5 embarrassment.
    I think there was only one save that wasn’t fairly routine. This is international football. You expect to have a keeper who will save those shots. 
  • JamesSeed said:
    Tough gig following Southgate, with his record. 

Dont think he will. He has had 2 finals and lost both of them. We should have beaten the Italians and I do believe Spain were there be had as looked poor defensively. 

It could be a case of be careful what you wish for but we do need a change.

For me, I'd go all out to get Eddie Howe.  
  • GS did a great job, restoring pride and revitalising the squad. However, as we saw all too often in this competition, we are slow and laboured, especially in the first half. We only seem to come alive once we are behind, which means we're always chasing the games. We now need a manager who can get the team to play more on the front foot, use the undoubted skills of this group of players and let them play with 'flair' and without 'fear'.
    I know this is, sadly, a pipe dream, but I would urge the FA to break the bank and go all out to get Pep into the job. Yes he still has a year left at City, but he has the skill to mould this same set of players, maybe without Kane, to achieve and finally get over the finish line.
    If we can't get Pep, then Klopp, but not Howe or Potter for me. 
    Look at our squad , it's very good, skillful and youthful, get a manager who can get the extra 1% out of them. 
    It's 2 yrs till the World Cup, it's not a long time to work with the squad, the change needs to happen soon. 
  • edited July 15
    GS did a great job, restoring pride and revitalising the squad. However, as we saw all too often in this competition, we are slow and laboured, especially in the first half. We only seem to come alive once we are behind, which means we're always chasing the games. We now need a manager who can get the team to play more on the front foot, use the undoubted skills of this group of players and let them play with 'flair' and without 'fear'.
    I know this is, sadly, a pipe dream, but I would urge the FA to break the bank and go all out to get Pep into the job. Yes he still has a year left at City, but he has the skill to mould this same set of players, maybe without Kane, to achieve and finally get over the finish line.
    If we can't get Pep, then Klopp, but not Howe or Potter for me. 
    Look at our squad , it's very good, skillful and youthful, get a manager who can get the extra 1% out of them. 
    It's 2 yrs till the World Cup, it's not a long time to work with the squad, the change needs to happen soon. 
    That is how I see it. I recall the days of Bent making his debut and the the established stars like Gerrard not playing the balls he thrived on to him. There was clearly some sort of clique in the camp and Neville has as much admitted it now. Southgate has definitely bought the squad together and deserves great credit for that but we would have gone out much earlier had Slovakia not sat deeper and deeper against us.

I believe playing attacking, front foot football requires some courage as it can backfire of course but if we are going to win a tournament, that is how we are going to do it. I just don't think Southgate can play this way but I believe Klopp or Pep can as I have seen them do it. Surely it is time we tried as we do seem to have the players to do it. No guarantees of course, but that seems to be the way football is going.
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:

Dont think he will. He has had 2 finals and lost both of them. We should have beaten the Italians and I do believe Spain were there be had as looked poor defensively. 

How confident would you be that Eddie Howe will definitely win the next World Cup? Because, unless he does, he'd be seen as a retrograde step.
  • edited July 15
    Maybe a manager who requires a minimum standard in terms of passing so whilst he may have had a good tournament defensively, Guehi misses out. It seems to me that the spaniards can play incisive and accurate passes through the team. I think we have the players to do so but write them off because they may be a bit more open defensively. A manager like Klopp can make them work. We can say defence is Spain's weakness but they score goals so it works for them.
  • Southgate is tactically lacking and in my humble opinion sets his teams up too negatively. This current squad is very very good and has even more potential. With a better tactician in charge I think we could have a serious run at the World Cup. Having said that. Southgate has all the man management abilities to get a very united squad and seems like a thoroughly likeable man. If he goes it would only be for someone demonstrably better. At this point I can’t think of an Englishman who is. 
  • We have already broken the tradition in terms of appointing an Englishman so we don't have to protect that. Appoint the best and then see what nationality they are after you have done so. 
  • Think Southgate walks, the toll of the job itself after 8 years and the emotions of getting so close yet failing twice now probably has him spent

Klopp is the dream appointment, even if we have to facilitate him having a year sabbatical, failing that give it to Carsley, has the U21's playing nice stuff and has won a tournament with them, none of the other English managers really jump out as standout candidates 

• Stevie G with Holden as his assistant anyone?

OK, maybe not
  • Chizz said:
    JamesSeed said:

How confident would you be that Eddie Howe will definitely win the next World Cup? Because, unless he does, he'd be seen as a retrograde step.
    No more or less than Southgate but a change is needed IMO. 

Certainly things have improved during his tenure but that style of football with the players at his disposal was poor and let's be honest, we were lucky to stay in the competition as long as we did and as soon as we played a team with genuine quality, we came unstuck. Don't get me wrong, the players have to step up also.

As I say, getting to 2 finals is great but losing both, not so much. Let someone else have a crack at it to see if they can get us over the line.
  • edited July 15
    I think Southgate will stay if he thinks the criticism of him has died down. I don't think it will. We have to give him credit for his strengths but we have been lucky this tournament. Maybe he could have a role were he helps the new manager but where his lack of football courage and negative tactives can't hold us back.
  • Give it to Barry Fry. They can train behind the Dog and Duck.