Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:
    Rotherham have signed 3 players already 
    Carlisle did the same last season and plenty on here weren’t happy we hadn’t done the same. Didn’t work out too well for them. 
    JCH, Joe Rafferty and Shaun McWilliams are all experienced players who have played to a higher level than our squad last season. Rotherham making good early moves, unsurprisingly with Evans in charge
    All decent league one signings, but none that I'm disappointed we didn't get. 
    I agree - none of them strike me as the kind of player who could take us up another level. They are decent players but decent players will just keep us grubbing around the midtable maybe hoping to hijack the play offs.

We need players who are going to push us into the upper echelons and I don't think these guys are it.

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:
    Carlisle did the same last season and plenty on here weren’t happy we hadn’t done the same. Didn’t work out too well for them. 
    JCH, Joe Rafferty and Shaun McWilliams are all experienced players who have played to a higher level than our squad last season. Rotherham making good early moves, unsurprisingly with Evans in charge
    I agree - none of them strike me as the kind of player who could take us up another level. They are decent players but decent players will just keep us grubbing around the midtable maybe hoping to hijack the play offs.

We need players who are going to push us into the upper echelons and I don't think these guys are it.

JCH is the exception here, his record speaks for itself. I'm not saying we needed him to be successful but he gets into our side quite comfortably. 
  • Options
    Not a rumour but George Earthy on loan anyone? CM highly rated at West Ham (won their young player of year award), played 3 times for them this season and scored once. Probably out of our reach truth be told 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

JCH is the exception here, his record speaks for itself. I'm not saying we needed him to be successful but he gets into our side quite comfortably. 
    In front of Leaburn and May? I don't think so somehow. Ladapo had a similar goal ratio and look how that turned out. He also doesn't fit into NJ's "run yourself ragged" work ethic and pressing style that he tries to implement 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    thenewbie said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

In front of Leaburn and May? I don't think so somehow. Ladapo had a similar goal ratio and look how that turned out. He also doesn't fit into NJ's "run yourself ragged" work ethic and pressing style that he tries to implement 
    If I had Leaburn, Kanu, May and JCH to choose from, I would pick the last two. I'm obviously a big fan of Leaburn but he's still a work in progress. I take your point about NJ's style although we are presumed to be going fairly direct, which suits JCH a lot more than Ladapo (who is older and less prolific than JCH anyway). 
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

I don't think he does. JCH is notorious for having a bit of an attitude and for not contributing a huge amount in terms of his running and pressing. That's not a Jones type of player, I think he'd end up falling a bit more into the Ladapo category where he wants to get on the end of chances but instead he's getting the ball to feet with his back to goal a lot more than he'd like and he's expected to chase down centre backs and full backs all game. A good striker but not necessarily a good striker for us
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

I don't think he does. JCH is notorious for having a bit of an attitude and for not contributing a huge amount in terms of his running and pressing. That's not a Jones type of player, I think he'd end up falling a bit more into the Ladapo category where he wants to get on the end of chances but instead he's getting the ball to feet with his back to goal a lot more than he'd like and he's expected to chase down centre backs and full backs all game. A good striker but not necessarily a good striker for us
    Yeah as I said above I do totally get that, certainly agree about the workrate but he holds the ball up a lot better than Ladapo. Each to their own but I would have taken him, even if he doesn't walk into the side he would be an asset. Hopefully the striker we do bring in is useful anyway and not another Tedic or Ladapo. 
  • Options
    Wait so JCH was asking for 10k pw upwards in January. Now he's out of contract you'd assume that'd be higher, and Rotherham can afford to pay that?
  • Options
    thenewbie said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

I'm not sure he does any more. JCH at his peak, absolutely yes, but my concern is that he's on the way down now. He'd possibly make the squad still but I don't think he's still in that "Elite 8" category anymore which is we need up front.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    thenewbie said:
    thenewbie said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

I'm not sure he does any more. JCH at his peak, absolutely yes, but my concern is that he's on the way down now. He'd possibly make the squad still but I don't think he's still in that "Elite 8" category anymore which is we need up front.
    Not sure, he's only 29 and not like he's getting injured all the time. He's not much older than when Lyle Taylor signed for us for example. I think he's still got another 2 years as a top end League 1 striker. Admittedly, I wouldn't be throwing a huge wage at a striker unless I felt they could do a decent job in the champ too. 
  • Options
    Wait so JCH was asking for 10k pw upwards in January. Now he's out of contract you'd assume that'd be higher, and Rotherham can afford to pay that?
    He didn't want to move south, so asked for silly wages. Was on a good wage at posh so waited it out rather than moving somewhere for the sake of it. 
  • Options
    I hope we sign someone soon so people can moan/get over excited/say "I'll wait to see him in a Charlton shirt first".
    New mantra Henry...IWTSHIACSF...🙄
  • Options
    I hope we sign someone soon so people can moan/get over excited/say "I'll wait to see him in a Charlton shirt first".
    New mantra Henry...IWTSHIACSF...🙄
    I wish I'd said that

You will, Oscar, you will.
  • Options
    He probably received a decent signing on fee but I doubt Rotherham are paying anywhere near 10k per week.
  • Options
    10k Pesos a week
  • Options
    Not a rumour but George Earthy on loan anyone? CM highly rated at West Ham (won their young player of year award), played 3 times for them this season and scored once. Probably out of our reach truth be told 
    I saw him a few months ago and he stood out for their U21s.  Not the biggest but a very exciting playmaker.  Maybe a bit small for League 1 and I believe we are looking more for experience to top up the youngsters in the squad
  • Options
    RC_CAFC said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

Not a dig at you but I read a lot of similar comments last summer about the Pompey business, along the lines of them going so early they were mopping up average players and not waiting for the better ones than apparently appear later in the window.

This is a good point and in all honestly, last year I was sceptical of Portsmouth’s business. But what it showed was that in league one you need a solid team of committed professionals who you can rely on week in, week out and then add a couple of X factor players to make that difference and win you the games.

All of those signings would have had us content but equally not going to cry about missing them.

Would be nice for us to get 1 or 2 in early to help Jones sell the project.

There is a reason why the top 3 teams in the league all have a 1 by their name for managers used and are all in the top 6 for least players used.

This is what we must be aspiring to next year, not the basket case stats at the top of this table.
    Jesus, did we really use 42 players last season? That's incredible.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Obvious really. It’s the answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Charlton Universe, and Everything.
  • Options
    YTS1978 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

Not a dig at you but I read a lot of similar comments last summer about the Pompey business, along the lines of them going so early they were mopping up average players and not waiting for the better ones than apparently appear later in the window.

This is a good point and in all honestly, last year I was sceptical of Portsmouth’s business. But what it showed was that in league one you need a solid team of committed professionals who you can rely on week in, week out and then add a couple of X factor players to make that difference and win you the games.

All of those signings would have had us content but equally not going to cry about missing them.

There is a reason why the top 3 teams in the league all have a 1 by their name for managers used and are all in the top 6 for least players used.

This is what we must be aspiring to next year, not the basket case stats at the top of this table.
    I mean you have to remember Mbick, Rylah, Casey, Abankwah, Payne and Jayesimi all got minutes at some point, and though they never played Mitchell, Molyneux, Walker and Ward were all named on the bench.

Appleton brought in players he liked like Fiorini, McGrandles and Edmonds-Green, Jones utilitised the free agent market to bring in Wickham and LuaLua, we started the season using players like Chem Campbell, Boban Tedic and Charlie Kirk, add in injuries to Camara, Taylor, Leaburn and Aneke meaning we brought in Bakinson, Ladapo and Coventry to plug even more gaps, and it's not that surprising!

In the cups we also used Roddy, Laqueratabua and Chin, and named a couple of others on the bench, so the numbers could be even higher
  • Options
    Jeez I had forgotten about Tedic already!
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

I mean you have to remember Mbick, Rylah, Casey, Abankwah, Payne and Jayesimi all got minutes at some point, and though they never played Mitchell, Molyneux, Walker and Ward were all named on the bench.

Appleton brought in players he liked like Fiorini, McGrandles and Edmonds-Green, Jones utilitised the free agent market to bring in Wickham and LuaLua, we started the season using players like Chem Campbell, Boban Tedic and Charlie Kirk, add in injuries to Camara, Taylor, Leaburn and Aneke meaning we brought in Bakinson, Ladapo and Coventry to plug even more gaps, and it's not that surprising!

In the cups we also used Roddy, Laqueratabua and Chin, and named a couple of others on the bench, so the numbers could be even higher
    Didn't Walker play (badly) v Cray?
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

Indeed, played both the home game and the replay. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    YTS1978 said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    Sambcafc said:
    TelMc32 said:
    doronron said:

Not in the league though, which is what I thought that list was?