Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Yann897 said:
    Yann897 said:
    mart77 said:

Good news.  A really poor signing by us.  Seemed a nice chap so good luck to him but there are many, many better L1 keepers around.

Maybe Burton would like to take AMB, Fraser, Edun and Gillesphey too...
    I'd add Coventry, Watson, Jones and REG (if deemed a CB). None of these NJ picks but most surely on good money for L1.

But yet to see why he bought Berry and Docherty.
    Docherty and Berry are very good players for this level and Iv seen glimpses of both so far to know they’ll turn out good for us, Coventry I’m not sold on yet though I’d try Taylor against Pompey.
    Are they capable players? I've seen both comfortable on the ball in tight places. Occasionally. Not today. No end product. Slide rule passes? Only back to defenders. Dribbling? Not in the locker of either. Dobson-like tackling? No way. Even NJ mantra of pressing? Yet to see it. Pace? Dont think so. Heading ability? They are short arses. Pratley like shithousery? No. Dictate a game? Send me a link.

Please although  Berry had nearly half a season of a Premiership relegation year, why are they good midfielders?
    You’re basing all that on a 70 minute pre season friendly. Iv seen both players play over the last few seasons and they’re better players than Dobson for a start.
    I "liked" this initially but removed it as, in the same way we shouldn't judge the new boys on a few minutes in pre season, we can't say that they are better players than Dobson (for us) until we've seen them in competitive action.

We don't have a like for like replacement for Dobson and that is clearly by design, given the way Jones played him as a "number 8" and was obviously talking about his haring about the pitch making tackles as "the parts of his game that the fans like that I'm trying to coach out of him".

Will it work? Who knows but it will need pressing from the front and defenders that step up to help the midfield when needed.
    Well if you go by what they’ve all achieved over the past 4/5 seasons then that would suggest they’re better more accomplished players than Dobson who I wasn’t really a fan of. 
  • Surely not the big striker Matt Smith? He was last at Salford. Either of the midfield Matt Smiths would make more sense - think the Man City one is up in Scotland and the Arsenal one is now at Wigan. 
  • edited July 28
    It’s our ex player Michael Smith. Big target man, plenty of experience. Powell brought him here as a youngster. 
     https://x.com/real_swfc_media/status/1817487195076169894?s=46&t=A-w3Eq0EWWpjMxring904Q

Can’t see us signing another striker, especially with Dixon expected to join.
  • edited July 28
  • Scoham said:
    It’s our ex player Michael Smith. Big target man, plenty of experience. Powell brought him here as a youngster. 
     https://x.com/real_swfc_media/status/1817487195076169894?s=46&t=A-w3Eq0EWWpjMxring904Q

Feels like an obvious Huddersfield signing. 
  • MarcusH26 said:
    Surely not the big striker Matt Smith? He was last at Salford. Either of the midfield Matt Smiths would make more sense - think the Man City one is up in Scotland and the Arsenal one is now at Wigan. 
    He means Michael Smith who use to play for us .. 
  • Scoham said:

Dixon?
  • edited July 28
    redbuttle said:
    Scoham said:

Dixon?

...Still to be confirmed one way or the other.
  • Sponsored links:

• I had forgotten about him. Thanks for reminding me

• Scoham said:
    You can’t be serious?
  • I remember going to Sutton pre season a couple of years ago. We created nothing in 90 minutes , it was a sign of what was to come.
  • I hope double downing on our formation again doesn’t bite us in the arse. 1 or 2 actual wingers (if Dixon is one and can step up quick) doesn’t give us much room to change things up. 
  • JordanJLD said:
    I hope double downing on our formation again doesn’t bite us in the arse. 1 or 2 actual wingers (if Dixon is one and can step up quick) doesn’t give us much room to change things up. 

We have Campbell as well, remember.
  • So sounds like we’re out of budget until
    some leave. Probably fair enough but shows the huge challenge of trying to undo 5 years of bad recruitment in just one me or two transfer windows.

And that’s without any confidence or certainty that the signings we’ve made are going to the significant upgrades we need them to be. 
  • edited July 28
    Yann897 said:
    We’d have to be seriously cursed if the likes of Berry, Docherty and Godden suddenly turn into turnips the moment they signed for Charlton.

All three of them should be more than capable of being leaders in a promotion chasing side at this level. In fact, all three of them have been leaders for League One title winners in the past (Luton 2019, Coventry 2020 and Hull 2021).

We shall see with the likes of Mitchell, Ahadme and Edwards who all show promise but have something to prove.
    Charlton fans have already wrote them off after  60 odd minutes in a pre season friendly though 😂
    Err..present company excepted if you please...🤦‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 28
    Edwards was one of few to have a decent game yesterday.  Definite better option at LCB than Gilly. If Small wont sign an extended contract, I might favour the Scot despite him not having the same threat going forward. Ahadme is carrying a niggle. Mitchell hampered by lack of CBs ability to bring ball out. Signs of organisation but two goals from a L2 side is poor.

Zach was pumped up yesterday and must start in middle, as the only CB to bring the ball out. Alex out wide can look across the line and organise without having to keep looking right and left. (Jones was struck dumb).
  • The main thing is with this squad is if NJ is happy with it and the effort they put in. He was not happy yesterday so we need to see an improvement, either with the current players putting in more effort and playing better, or with new, better players coming in
  • Yann897 said:
    We’d have to be seriously cursed if the likes of Berry, Docherty and Godden suddenly turn into turnips the moment they signed for Charlton.

All three of them should be more than capable of being leaders in a promotion chasing side at this level. In fact, all three of them have been leaders for League One title winners in the past (Luton 2019, Coventry 2020 and Hull 2021).

We shall see with the likes of Mitchell, Ahadme and Edwards who all show promise but have something to prove.
    Charlton fans have already wrote them off after  60 odd minutes in a pre season friendly though 😂
    Err..present company excepted if you please...🤦‍♂️
    Sorry *some Charlton fans.
  • AndyG said:
    We have a group of owners who are seemingly happy to spend to get players the manager wants. Unfortunately we have a big squad which currently has too many players that we don’t seem able to give away. That is an inherited problem passed down from the previous ownership and recruitment so we can’t pin it on the owners. It will take time to resolve but given time I think it will be sorted 
    Outside of Fraser who else in our squad was signed by previous ownerships that we want to get rid of? 

The majority were signed last summer that Scott was in the background for. 
    Ness and AMB 
  • JordanJLD said:
    I hope double downing on our formation again doesn’t bite us in the arse. 1 or 2 actual wingers (if Dixon is one and can step up quick) doesn’t give us much room to change things up. 

We have Campbell as well, remember.
    That was including Campbell, but they seem adamant to claim he’s more central as well
  • So let’s look at it, we know Jones wants to trim the squad down as it is, it’s too big. We also are going to bring in at least another 3 players, one of which is Dixson, another is a keeper, and one likely to be Potts. That’s a minimum.

So with at least 3 to come in, we need more than 3 to leave. Who are they going to be?

Ness? Edun? Fraser? AMB? Zach Mitchell on loan? Asiimwe on loan?

Anyone else?
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!