Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• Options
    Jones wants 5 forwards. Kanu only goes out on loan if Aneke and Leaburn prove fitness AND we sign another on top of Ahadme and Godden IMO
  • Options
    If Gassan Ahadme does join that leaves us with the following. 

Leaburn (Just coming back from Injury)
    Ahadme (Out for a fair amount of time last year)
    Godden (Not exactly in his prime) 
    Kanu
    Aneke (Can't rely on him to be available ) 

I'd be a little worried about the availability of these players personally
    It will also probably conclude our striker business. 

If they're all fit and firing we are laughing, as it's a good set of options all with different qualities. 

Can't grumble at the club though, they've sold May, and it looks likely they've spent more than what they sold him for on 2 strikers to replace him. Whether or not it will work out, none of us know, but credit where it's due.
    I think we’ll need one more up front. We now have Godden, Ahadme (?) Kanu and no guarantees regarding Leaburn and Aneke. That’s three definitely and two maybes. I think one more will come in and possibly we’ll see Kanu out on loan.

Been mentioned elsewhere Kanu out on loan and someone coming in on loan as a replacement but I get the impression Jones really rates Kanu. 
    I rate him too but I think he needs games and probably won’t get as many this season as last. 
  • Options
    Seems a goer, can't really argue with that. Isn't my money, and fair play if they're spending a fee like that. 

"We're getting £1 million?  For him?'

Good business spending £300k, not playing the guy, loaning him out so his wages are paid, then selling for £1m.
  • Options
    I think it was 36 league goals last season from May, Aneke, Kanu, Leaburn, and Wickham. 

Ahadme with 11 league goals while on loan and Godden with 6 (in championship) last season. 

I fancy Kanu to exceed his 6 league goals, and so long as injury history improves, Leaburn and Aneke should score a lot more than the low single figure they each managed. 

• Options
    We wouldn't sign Ahadme for that sort of money, unless he wasn't expected to be a regular starter. Him and Leaburn would certainly give us height and strength up top, with Chuks on the bench once the defenders have been softened up.

Indeed it's almost a glut of strikers, together with Godden and Kanu, 5 potential first choice strikers is a lot for 2 places as Kanu won't be happy with 15 minutes from the bench, twice a month. Maybe he can go on loan for 6 months, if we can bring in a genuine creative and goalscoring midfielder (an Aaron Collins type).
  • Sponsored links:

• Options

Kanu

I think you massaged that a little bit. Ahadme, made 29 league appearances last season, 33 in total with cup games added. With Godden and Kanu, there is scope to alter the forward line. Your point about Chuk's and Leaburn is correct but in Leaburn's case he got injured after returning from an injury sustained at Welling, in an ideal world, he probably would got more time to add the odd twenty minute appearance from the bench but as we all know, Scott fecked it up. 
  • Options
    Scoham said:
    We wouldn't sign Ahadme for that sort of money, unless he wasn't expected to be a regular starter. Him and Leaburn would certainly give us height and strength up top, with Chuks on the bench once the defenders have been softened up.

Indeed it's almost a glut of strikers, together with Godden and Kanu, 5 potential first choice strikers is a lot for 2 places as Kanu won't be happy with 15 minutes from the bench, twice a month. Maybe he can go on loan for 6 months, if we can bring in a genuine creative and goalscoring midfielder (an Aaron Collins type).
    I don’t see five as too many, this always comes up as soon as we look like having proper depth in a position. Five when we start two is the right number, especially when one of them is Aneke. They’ll all get a decent amount of game time over the course of the season if they stay fit.

I'd say if anything 5 is the minimum I'd want given Leaburn is being managed back from a long term injury and well Chuks is Chuks. Gives you plenty of depth and rotation to use throughout the season. 
  • Options
    Hal1x said:

Kanu

Haha, I prefer realistic :-) 

In all seriousness, I agree with Braziliance.

If they're all fit it's a great set of options, I'm just worried about the chances of keeping Leaburn and Anekle available more than anything. 
  • Options
    I'd be happy with Ahadme. Carlton Morris is a big physical striker who wasn't particularly prolific in League One before moving to Luton. Now he's had a 20 goal season in the Championship and hit double figures in the Prem. Think Ahadme could be similar in a Jones team. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Some interesting comments on Ahadme. Apparently bullied Luke Woolfenden who is a good centre back. Sounds like he has a bit of the Aneke about him. Definitely sounds like a Nathan Jones type of signing.

Comments from the Ipswich message board: 

sounds a good foil for Godden
  • Options
    I will put my faith in Leaburn, Aneke and Kanu combined to get us 35 goals combined this season, IF and it's a big IF they all stay fit. I'd back Leaburn alone for a full season to get 15+ 
  • Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    I will put my faith in Leaburn, Aneke and Kanu combined to get us 35 goals combined this season, IF and it's a big IF they all stay fit. I'd back Leaburn alone for a full season to get 15+ 
    What about Godden?
  • Options
    edited July 3
    Interesting to see people's responses to the projected Ahadme fee. Lots of concern that £1m is too high but surely that should also put to bed some posters' fears that the owners aren't willing to pay what they need to? At the very least it should tell people that Nathan Jones is being properly backed by these owners to a pretty extensive degree, which can only be a good thing
    I don't have an opinion on their ability to spend money, but just to say that circa 700k of that is likely coming from the May fee. 
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    Interesting to see people's responses to the projected Ahadme fee. Lots of concern that £1m is too high but surely that should also put to bed some posters' fears that the owners aren't willing to pay what they need to? At the very least it should tell people that Nathan Jones is being properly backed by these owners to a pretty extensive degree, which can only be a good thing
    I don't have an opinion on their ability to spend money, but just to say that circa 700k of that is likely coming from the May fee. 
    I thought much of that went on Godden?
  • Options
    But then what would people have to moan about 😀