Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• edited July 2
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bit on Davies.. So he had agreed a deal to sign for us, but then for the last 10 days, he was meant to come down to complete medical and sign the contract, but every day another excuse, then late last week, he said other opportunities haver come to light, and want to explore, then asked for more money.. He well and truly f****d us about.. We move on.. It is now silly season, will be a lot of agreements but don't progress.. But that is the football industry for you.. 

It is football... so I don't get your point!
    That the line that has been served up on here is along the lines of 'we are shopping in a different market now' and already 'money' is the stumbling block. We even needed money so much so, that we have sold the biggest goal threat in the league to a promotion rival, that we can't get near in terms of resources. 

I don't believe a word these owners say. This will be a constant thing this window. The harsh reality is, we had 4 good players last season, 3 have left/been sold, and the other is yet to sign a contract extension. 

May has been sold to fund the incomings we have had, so far. It will not shock me at all if we break even this window, or thereabouts, which we cannot afford to do. We have all just witnessed one of the worst Charlton sides ever, the only ones who were stopping us from being the worst side in the league, are all gone bar a couple. 

We need to spend a fair few million to turn this mess around, do I see us doing that? No. As we have already cashed in, or attempted to cash in (Dobsons case) on all our best players so far. 

I just don't see how this is any different from the previous owners/windows we have had.
    Fella, it is football.. Every single club up and down the country is the same.. What a club wants to do, and putting in to action is different, you miss out on targets, players want to leave.. You can make a plan today, then tomorrow it all changes! Where has money been a stumbling block?? People's value is only as much as someone is willing to pay them! 

Everyone keeps going on about we lost 4 good players.. They have been part of a side that has finished lower half of league 1.. That is a fact! It is about the team, not individuals.

One thing for sure is, the club are putting lots of stepping stones in place, ensuring our players stay fit, we are engaging with the local community, we are setting partnerships up which allows to tap into different markets! The club is in a stronger position that it has been for the last 10 or 12 years to be successful again.. 

Let's see what happens between here at the end of the window..

FYI, I think May will flop at Brum, and we will be saying, that was a good bit of business.. 
    I absolutely agree with you here. I think a lot of the bed wetters are going to have serious egg on their faces this season.
  • cafc_se7 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Bit on Davies.. So he had agreed a deal to sign for us, but then for the last 10 days, he was meant to come down to complete medical and sign the contract, but every day another excuse, then late last week, he said other opportunities haver come to light, and want to explore, then asked for more money.. He well and truly f****d us about.. We move on.. It is now silly season, will be a lot of agreements but don't progress.. But that is the football industry for you.. 

That the line that has been served up on here is along the lines of 'we are shopping in a different market now' and already 'money' is the stumbling block. We even needed money so much so, that we have sold the biggest goal threat in the league to a promotion rival, that we can't get near in terms of resources. 

I don't believe a word these owners say. This will be a constant thing this window. The harsh reality is, we had 4 good players last season, 3 have left/been sold, and the other is yet to sign a contract extension. 

May has been sold to fund the incomings we have had, so far. It will not shock me at all if we break even this window, or thereabouts, which we cannot afford to do. We have all just witnessed one of the worst Charlton sides ever, the only ones who were stopping us from being the worst side in the league, are all gone bar a couple. 

We need to spend a fair few million to turn this mess around, do I see us doing that? No. As we have already cashed in, or attempted to cash in (Dobsons case) on all our best players so far. 

I just don't see how this is any different from the previous owners/windows we have had.
    Fella, it is football.. Every single club up and down the country is the same.. What a club wants to do, and putting in to action is different, you miss out on targets, players want to leave.. You can make a plan today, then tomorrow it all changes! Where has money been a stumbling block?? People's value is only as much as someone is willing to pay them! 

Everyone keeps going on about we lost 4 good players.. They have been part of a side that has finished lower half of league 1.. That is a fact! It is about the team, not individuals.

One thing for sure is, the club are putting lots of stepping stones in place, ensuring our players stay fit, we are engaging with the local community, we are setting partnerships up which allows to tap into different markets! The club is in a stronger position that it has been for the last 10 or 12 years to be successful again.. 

FYI, I think May will flop at Brum, and we will be saying, that was a good bit of business.. 
    I absolutely agree with. I think a lot of the bed wetters are going to have serious egg on their faces this season.
    I think if May was choosing purely from a footballing sense then he’d have chosen Huddersfield to play with a manager he’d been really successful with again. The move to Brum is purely financial because they’re making him completely set for life. 

I agree it is the wrong move for him in a footballing sense but with three young kids and only a v limited time left earning big money, I know which one I’d have chosen.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You're praying more like. 

Kermogant all over again. 'he's old, he can't do it in the Championship, we need to move on'. 
    Why would I pray? Even if stayed with Charlton, I don't think he will do anything like he did last season. Nothing to do with age, look at the record under Jones, wasn't great.. 
  • Sponsored links:

• cafc_se7 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

I absolutely agree with. I think a lot of the bed wetters are going to have serious egg on their faces this season.
    Calling fellow Charlton fans bed wetters because they have concerns about how the squad is shaping up is not very nice imo 
    Agree, always struck me a rather infantile term anyway...🙄
  • edited July 2
    If Alfie flops at Birmingham does not mean good business if we fail to get up, as we know 100% he does not flop in a Charlton shirt.

In the end I don't care about internet points like some posters on here looking to get their parade ready, nothing I would love more then for these set of decision makers to prove me wrong, get us promoted, all I care about. 
  • ValleyBen said:
    In the end the if May only gets a dozen goals for Birmingham and Godden gets double that for us, if Birmingham go up an we don't then we still lost out.

We know May is capable of getting 20+ goals for us, we know he is capable of getting it for an even worse team then us, we should be adding to our very small number of proven quality players, not selling them to those we are competing with. 
    If Birmingham don’t go up with a budget of 20 mill in league one be the biggest shock for ages with or without May 
  • I’m going to have to start a filing system for all these receipts I’ll be keeping on hand for when Godden scores more goals than May does…
    I doubt that’ll happen. But he’ll provide more assists for sure. 
  • Steven81 said:
    Billionaire owners can't compete with Birmingham what were you all thinking...
    The same Birmingham that's also owned by Billionaires? And are the flashy, let's try and spend money and be in the spotlight owners that Sandgaard was, instead of our owners now that are more like shadow investors.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

You're praying more like. 

Kermogant all over again. 'he's old, he can't do it in the Championship, we need to move on'. 
    Revisionism at play here. Don’t think the comparison works at all. 

Yann was a talisman and a warrior who led the front line with intensity and physicality. Nathan Jones would’ve loved him.

Alfie had some great moments but looked like a lost boy when asked to play up front on his own.

Alfie more BWP than Kermorgant.
    Reminds me more of Wollacott last season - a decent player within that squad that they tried to cash in on and yet didn’t adequately replace. We’ll see if they’ve learned any lessons now I guess 
  • thenewbie said:
    cafc_se7 said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    DubaiCAFC said:

Calling fellow Charlton fans bed wetters because they have concerns about how the squad is shaping up is not very nice imo 
    Nor is calling anyone looking for a positive "happy clappers", "SMT spokesperson", "drinking the kool aid" etc. Not that I'm accusing you personally of saying those things but both "sides" of this are equally infantile at times.
    Well said.
    It is funny though isn't if you do call them that, you are seen as the bad person... But they are happy to have a pop!
  • Sponsored links:

• edited July 2
    A quote from a Cov fan in response to someone on the other forum having a pop at Godden’s “six goals” from last season:

“I’d say we’re slightly above that [relegation] now with the £7m striker we signed to replace him. Doesn’t make him a bad league one player.

If we doesn’t perform it will be due to age rather than ability. He had 5 minutes against league one opposition this season and scored twice so I’m sure he’ll be fine.”
    Looks like the reference is to Coventry’s FA Cup tie in January where Godden came off the bench in the 72nd minute and scored twice against Oxford.
  • All this shit. Fuck me, WHERE are the signings!!!!!
  • Genuine question as I might have missed it, have the owners or NJ said what our aspirations are this season, automatic promotion, top 6 etc?
  • Genuine question as I might have missed it, have the owners or NJ said what our aspirations are this season, automatic promotion, top 6 etc?
    In the Q&A it was said the aim is to get promoted.
  • A quote from a Cov fan in response to someone on the other forum having a pop at Godden’s “six goals” from last season:

“I’d say we’re slightly above that [relegation] now with the £7m striker we signed to replace him. Doesn’t make him a bad league one player.

If we doesn’t perform it will be due to age rather than ability. He had 5 minutes against league one opposition this season and scored twice so I’m sure he’ll be fine.”
    Looks like the reference is to Coventry’s FA Cup tie in January where Godden came off the bench in the 72nd minute and scored twice against Oxford.

https://youtu.be/EuM3eID1Toc?si=sa46Jh7ESDqYJGSj 3 and a half mins onwards on this video. Two very good finishes, keeper no chance with either of them.
  • There is a big difference between the Championship and L1, so scoring stats aren't that comparable.

I remember David McGoldrick looking pretty average in the Championship for a decent Sheffield United team, but then moving to L1 the next season and scoring 22 league goals for Derby.
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!