Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• The alternative take on May that I’ve not seen is Jones thinks the squad needs a significant amount of change, Charlie Boy and co agree but the budget to do that just isn’t there. 

So an injection to fund it is needed, Leaburn isn’t in the position to be sold for max value yet, so May is the most likely and easiest to attract interest. He’s not made great money in his career so if new improved contract offers are coming his way he’s making hay while the sun shines. 

Regardless of that, I also don’t think Jones sees May as being vital. This could be one to suit all parties but the fans. 
    I don’t get this Bart…..aren’t we supposed to have investors who are prepared to make extra funding to cover squad additions? Was this not discussed with them when they joined the project….surely it was?
    So why are we talking about selling our best players in order to have the funds required. The investors MUST realise that they will be called upon at some stage to come up with some serious wonga to implement this undertaking isn’t now the time to do so…….. if not why not I ask myself?
    We have been a selling club for countless decades (since the unambitious and stagnant Michael Glikstein days in fact), I had hoped that it would no longer be the case. 🤔
    We will always be a selling club, that's never going to change. Getting 1m+ for a player not highly rated by Jones makes perfect sense to me.

What doesn't make any sense is why May isn't highly rated
  • The alternative take on May that I’ve not seen is Jones thinks the squad needs a significant amount of change, Charlie Boy and co agree but the budget to do that just isn’t there. 

So an injection to fund it is needed, Leaburn isn’t in the position to be sold for max value yet, so May is the most likely and easiest to attract interest. He’s not made great money in his career so if new improved contract offers are coming his way he’s making hay while the sun shines. 

Regardless of that, I also don’t think Jones sees May as being vital. This could be one to suit all parties but the fans. 
    I don’t get this Bart…..aren’t we supposed to have investors who are prepared to make extra funding to cover squad additions? Was this not discussed with them when they joined the project….surely it was?
    So why are we talking about selling our best players in order to have the funds required. The investors MUST realise that they will be called upon at some stage to come up with some serious wonga to implement this undertaking isn’t now the time to do so…….. if not why not I ask myself?
    We have been a selling club for countless decades (since the unambitious and stagnant Michael Glikstein days in fact), I had hoped that it would no longer be the case. 🤔
    Charlie talks in the podcast about the need to make a club sustainable financially. He describes the poor practise of owner(s) spunking a lot of money on vanity players, then losing interest (and/or the club being relegated) and leaving the club with a ruinous employment cost centre that the new owners can’t or won’t sustain. Makes sense to me. Even if you have it, you shouldn’t spend it (all).

Charlie talks in the podcast about the need to make a club sustainable financially. He describes the poor practise of owner(s) spunking a lot of money on vanity players, then losing interest (and/or the club being relegated) and leaving the club with a ruinous employment cost centre that the new owners can’t or won’t sustain. Makes sense to me. Even if you have it, you shouldn’t spend it (all).
    Getting into the Championship gets them closer to what they want. 

Selling Alfie for £1m let's say and not getting promoted will cost them £millions more.

Agree with most of what you are saying. 
    But the new owners would  (or should) have been aware of all of this when buying the club.
    I know you can aquire players on free transfers and the like but the new owners will at some point have to splash the cash in order to get us out of this league. 
    If we sell May for say 1 million but a lack of goals stop us from going up then that's a poor decision. 
    All we can do as fans I suppose is support the club and hope they get it right. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited June 19
    Anyway, rumours.  8 days till players return.  About 10 new ones in to make the squad are needed (plus 5+ out but they are less time critical from NJs perspective I am sure).
  • Admin - can we create a separate Alfie May thread? 

Looking for rumours in and amongst this constant childish bickering is tiresome. 

Looking for rumours in and amongst this constant childish bickering is tiresome. 
    Agree.

https://forum.charltonlife.com/discussion/96312/alfie-may-signs-on-a-2-year-deal-1year-option-p4#latest
  • Nice one @shirty5

@Everyone post all your Alfie thoughts/feedback/feelings/fears on the old thread that Shirty5 has just resurfaced. 
  • Sponsored links:

• You guys do realise, as with every year, posters post rumours in the rumour thread and posters discuss those rumours in said rumours thread. I just don’t see how anyone could find that unusual.

If someone has the energy and time I am sure it would be welcomed by some to have the ‘bite sized’ rumours thread.

Otherwise just skim read through the posts if you’re that desperate to see if we are being linked with anyone. Or just wait to it’s on the official site.

How did people live before the internet? 
    Discussing rumours is fine, however, pages upon pages of bickering and sniping, is not what this thread should be used for.

The internet brings out the worst in some people.
    I don’t disagree with you there, many people seem to take exception to individuals having different opinions to them.

However, still does not change my point, this is a rumours thread where people will post and discuss rumours. 

The fact that it turns into a soup of people making the same points, or getting irked that people have different points to them is just what happens. 
  • Scoham said:
    Is today the day Edwards is announced?

Would expect so if he had a medical yesterday and they got all the media and contract stuff done too. 

Which is fine if he hadn’t presided over the worst season for 98 years. We’re now talking about selling one of the leagues best players to a promotion rival. It looks like the whole project is being done on the cheap, despite the bizarre mental gymnastics on here trying to convince us the May isn’t actually any good. It’s been consistent, Texas documents stating there would be little investment, selling and letting go some of our best players last season, hiring the cheaper Appleton option and now selling May to pocket a modest profit. So Charlie is probably right about keeping it lean at Charlton but as we know, that rules out a promotion challenge.
    This is exactly what I was talking about. Show me the one post on this thread where someone has said Alfie is not any good!
  • edited June 19
    Scoham said:
    Is today the day Edwards is announced?
    All done yesterday according to the below which seems reputable so would expect announcement today..

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/5013819/dunfermline-athletic-josh-edwards-charlton-athletic-transfer/

We can then move on from the Alfie May stuff to discuss what this means for Small.  🤣🤣 (That's a joke by the way, he will stay).
  • Charlton summer transfer rumour:

That is the title of this thread, so it started as a rumour that Alfie May could be sold then Cawley gave it oxygen and then of course its up for discussion with strong feelings at play.
    It seems quite normal to have a, for and against debate when the top scorer may go to a team in the same division.
    If Huddersfield have gone up to 1.2 million then this is the thread to discuss the pro's and cons of a "Charlton summer transfer" of League 1 top goalscorer in 23/24.

If a new rumour starts then it will be posted on here and it should be more this week as Nathan Jones wants the players in ASAP so they can work the pre season together.

I'm proud of anyone who uses their soapbox but there are times you have to listen as well as giving it large. (Took me a life time to realize!)

Carry on the heated debate.
    Was Sid James in that one ?

• From my from my old copy of ‘The Lore and Language of Schoolchildren’.
    A wonderful book that thinking about it I have read, used and referenced all my life, whether it was in my working life or personal life.
    If you can find a copy I recommend it.

• So..... ok

I thought there was some intermittent adult bickering .
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!