Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Charlton Summer Transfer Rumours 2024

Comments

• The alternative take on May that I’ve not seen is Jones thinks the squad needs a significant amount of change, Charlie Boy and co agree but the budget to do that just isn’t there. 

So an injection is needed, Leaburn isn’t in the position to sell as yet, so May is the most likely and easiest to attract interest. He’s not made great money in his career so if new improved contract offers are coming his way he’s making hay while the sun shines. 

Regardless of that, I also don’t think Jones sees May as being vital. This could be one to suit all parties but the fans. 
    Probably not too far off the mark there.
  • DubaiCAFC said:
    Chunes said:
    DubaiCAFC said:
    supaclive said:
    RC_CAFC said:
    If we do sell May it will be a copy of what happened when that idiot Duchatelet came in and sold Yann. The new management then said - well how good can he be ? - the team is nearly bottom of the Championship and we can get better replacements in - eg Polish Pete, Vetokele, Tucadean. 
    None of them proved to be anywhere near Yann’s level and those of us who had watched all his games knew that. It’s one of those ideas where there is always something or someone better around the corner.
    May is a proven goal scorer ( twice over !) at League 1 level. Charlton would be stupid to sell him.  
    Except that one wasn’t sanctioned by the manager. And also this ‘new management’ were the ones that brought him in.

No one knows if he’ll go and no one knows how it will pan out, but with all his goals last season, we came 16th and finished in our worst ever league position. We must improve the squad and if selling May is the only way we can do that then so be it. I’ll be gutted to lose him, but Jones knows what he wants and I have far more faith in him then anyone else who have been running this club for the past 8-10 years.
    Why is selling him the only way we can improve the squad?!  Thought we were "really backing" the manager in the window and our owners are (multiple) billionaires.

I don't think selling him improves our squad.
    He wasn't the reason we finished 16th but we must certainly would have finished below that position without him!
    How about waiting and see where we are at once the window has closed and see if we are in a stronger position.. if you ask my opinion, we will see a different Charlton this year, and the players left from last season, will be sharper, fitter and stronger
    Just a reminder Dubai that you were happy with our transfer business when the window closed last summer.

When I brought that up later in the season, you said "Why wouldn't I have been happy, we signed the league's best goalscorer." 

I've no doubt the team needs to function as a unit and Jones needs to buy the ingredients if we want him to make the dinner, but whether we're going to be successful or not, Alfie May is a great player and character and many people will be gutted to see him go. 
    Yes, and on paper lot of signings looked good. But you can say that about a lot of our signings over the last few seasons, which have proved to be tough to get off our books!

I think every single Charlton fan will be gutted to see May go, but as I have said Jones can’t guarantee he will be the first name on the sheet, May doesn’t like it, a club is willing to offer decent money, for a player that isn’t getting any younger, and if we get promoted next year, he would likely be surpluses to requirements. 

The two forwards the looking to bring have been mentioned on here, they are at a good age, and will improve under Jones, if we get them both, they will cost us more than May’s fee. 

To be fair, Dubai has a point and lets be honest how many posters here actually have an in depth knowledge of players at this level ?

Id argue its a minority, the vast majority of the time we sign players and i've never heard of them bar a few, May for example funnily enough. The vast majority of the time most have to have a snoop on wikipedia before posting about them.
  • redbuttle said:
    Peterborough had a 20-30 goal striker at their club and barely started him last season.

They scored more goals as a team (89) last season than they did in either of the two previous seasons at this level where they relied on him for over 36% of their goals (31 of 83 & 26 of 75).

Football is a simple game in most ways but that doesn’t mean it’s as simple as taking out one player’s goal contributions and you can predict how a team will perform without them.

BEFORE ANYONE JUMPS ON THIS TO SAY I’M BLAMING ALFIE FOR THE TEAM UNDERPERFORMING :  really am not, I’m trying to show that there is life in a football team with or without your previously profilic forward.
    Brilliant post.  Spot on

It’s always better to have 3 players scoring 10 goals than 1 man scoring 30 … if you rely on one man injury, suspension can ruin your season 
    If the one man gets 30 goals, it doesn't matter if he gets injured. His 30 goals will get you promoted and nobody will want to buy him. Win win. 
  • RoanRedNY said:
    Sadly, we haven’t signed anyone since page 118. 
    I think we have, just not been officially announced yet. 
  • Wouldn't it be amazing if this all turned out to be an elaborate 4D chess move from NJ by letting a transfer saga play out all throughout the summer, letting Hudds continually think they are "this" close, and them wasting a significant amount of time, energy and resources on signing Alfie, only to then pull the plug on deadline day so they end up scrabbling about for a back up option at the last second. Meanwhile we hoover up the talent whilst they are distracted and to really underline it AM lines up the very next game with the captains armband on and a big grin (and maybe a few k a week pay rise in the back pocket for his trouble)

It's what I would do !

Good shout. It’s probably what others have done to us in the past. 
  • Simonsen said:
    redbuttle said:
    Peterborough had a 20-30 goal striker at their club and barely started him last season.

They scored more goals as a team (89) last season than they did in either of the two previous seasons at this level where they relied on him for over 36% of their goals (31 of 83 & 26 of 75).

Football is a simple game in most ways but that doesn’t mean it’s as simple as taking out one player’s goal contributions and you can predict how a team will perform without them.

BEFORE ANYONE JUMPS ON THIS TO SAY I’M BLAMING ALFIE FOR THE TEAM UNDERPERFORMING :  really am not, I’m trying to show that there is life in a football team with or without your previously profilic forward.
    Brilliant post.  Spot on

It’s always better to have 3 players scoring 10 goals than 1 man scoring 30 … if you rely on one man injury, suspension can ruin your season 
    If the one man gets 30 goals, it doesn't matter if he gets injured. His 30 goals will get you promoted and nobody will want to buy him. Win win. 
    He’s got to score the 30 goals before he gets injured though 
  • J BLOCK said:
    Trust in Jones, he has more experience in football than everyone on this forum put together. 

Not shit football he ain't
  • Sponsored links:

• The alternative take on May that I’ve not seen is Jones thinks the squad needs a significant amount of change, Charlie Boy and co agree but the budget to do that just isn’t there. 

So an injection to fund it is needed, Leaburn isn’t in the position to be sold for max value yet, so May is the most likely and easiest to attract interest. He’s not made great money in his career so if new improved contract offers are coming his way he’s making hay while the sun shines. 

Regardless of that, I also don’t think Jones sees May as being vital. This could be one to suit all parties but the fans. 
    I thought this was a given.
  • sam3110 said:
    I think the issue is you can't just spend £5m without it having to be balanced a bit somewhere somehow. Whether that's through player sales, increased pricing on tickets, more commercial deals and sponsorships, or through adding it on as debt or writing it off as equity, it has to go somewhere. So maybe selling May for more than a million helps to balance the books in that way. 

Clubs can't just say "fuck it let's spend spend spend and to hell with the rules"
    I believe FFP is not applicable in Leagues 1 and 2.
    It isn't. This is though

https://www.financialfairplay.co.uk/scmp.php
  • J BLOCK said:
    Trust in Jones, he has more experience in football than everyone on this forum put together. 
    But he has also failed as professional football manager at least twice more than the sum total of all the people on the forum.  Every argument has an equal and opposite 😀.  25% win/12.5% loss/62.5% draw record with CAFC.  We’ll need our best players available, better players brought in and a much higher %age win return next year. I’ll wait and see re trust and judgement but wish only the best for our club.
  • RoanRedNY said:
    The alternative take on May that I’ve not seen is Jones thinks the squad needs a significant amount of change, Charlie Boy and co agree but the budget to do that just isn’t there. 

So an injection to fund it is needed, Leaburn isn’t in the position to be sold for max value yet, so May is the most likely and easiest to attract interest. He’s not made great money in his career so if new improved contract offers are coming his way he’s making hay while the sun shines. 

Jones came in an a surfboard of promises and assurances, if he then finds out that to get those achieved he’s lost his captain on a free and has to sell his 20+ goal player of the year, he really has got a rapid lesson in the Charlton end of the stick.  If I was Jones I’d be giving Luton another call.
    Good thing you arent him then..
  • Fucking right, he’s welsh
  • Sponsored links:

• MrBurns said:
    J BLOCK said:
    I don't think he's got 20 years experience on Football Manager though
    So true…
  • Brownie12 said:
    Chunes said:
    Ahadme... Back to the 'Djaiesemi Method' of signing players who performed against us.
    To be fair he been pretty good for Cambridge for a few years .. surprised no one else has taken a chance 
    You fool.
    Don’t forget that he gets his info from the Plymouth Herald and they are 2 seasons behind down that way. 

Even if Argyle are at least 2 seasons ahead of us getting promoted 🙂

• J BLOCK said:

Just saying... but so does Appleton...
  • It is such a weak, and lazy argument to point fingers at the likes of May, Dobson and CBT as a reason why we have been finishing so poorly. It is quite literally every other Charlton player except those 3 (with the exception of Kanu & Small).

We needed to keep them, and sign better players to help them, like Luke Berry and Alex Mitchell. Not let them go and start over again.

We would be playing league2 football next season if it wasn't for those 3, but people will use them in a negative light to push their agenda.
    This, this and this
This discussion has been closed.

Roland Out Forever!