Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United: Saturday 9th March 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• JamesSeed said:
    BigDiddy said:
    And TT ?
    on stats he is our best defender, and he almost certainly stopped 2-0 with the header out for a corner today. 
    Fuck the stats - TT is an accident waiting to happen.

How long do we have to wait exactly?
    Have you been watching this season ?
  • Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Vital win, but as others have said, our squad needs a major rebuild

Those not good enough or do not offer any value, in my view, must leave the club.

I know I am off topic, but watching today, I thought what a job NJ has to get us into the promotion push next year.

The problem will be Andy Scott, who is clueless on recruitment, given the chaotic nature of our squad.

NJ looks a proper manager, but the sorting out of the squad need to start in early May.

It is a massive challenge, but below is my take on it

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu
    - Dobbo [if he plays like today and wants to stay]
    - Anderson [ he will get better]

Loans - please sort out the mess !

The rubbish loanees can all go back to their parent club
    The rubbish we have loaned out - that’s a huge issue/problem

Not good enough, so must go

Goalkeepers - Isted and AMB
    Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

The “never fit”, so must go

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 
    Wickham [ his fitness will be the problem]

Youngsters not quite ready, so loan out?

Asiimwe - needs game time 
    Campbell - need game time
    Henry - last chance saloon 

Never let them wear the shirt again [if they are still on our books]

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Big Diddy were you drinking when you wrote that ?  Firstly have a look at the players who's contracts are up in July, your get rid list includes loanees, we won't have to 'get rid' they return to the parent club as the loan is over, that includes Camara who is in your 'never fit so must list. Just one more thing, I know you stated sometime ago that you don't attend games but it might be a good idea to get down to the Valley but when you do don't look for Charlie Kirk, he left the club in December. 
    I was there today - as soon as Apples was sacked, I returned.

Note the comment “[If they are still on our books]” - I was not sure about some of them as our squad is so chaotic.

The point of my post was to highlight the problem with Scott.
  • 17 points off playoffs.
  • When Kanu hit the woodwork his header was too perfect if you know what I mean, great effort that a worse player would've scored!
  • I felt Carlisle knew they were down but at least they played with a bit of freedom and I've seen far worse than them so credit to them and their 800 fans, a horrible journey. 

I though Kanu was superb but May seemed backed to his best, his second goal I thought was one of his best of the season purely for the composure. 

Its good to see Jones has got some fire in the belly... We need it badly as the last few years it's been like watching a team of Tellytubbies! 

Not sure about Fleetwood next week, would love a win but I'll take a point purely because we know Stockley will up his game. I'd like to Jones return but he may keep the same aquad. 

By the way not much has been said so far about this Brighton player Lukaku? Is that the fella that you used to do somersaults after scoring? Apologies if I'm wrong I'm old.

Anyway first Saturday league win since October 21st.... You couldn't make it up. 

To quote Jones from last week… We want to go and smash them. 
    24-points to play for...
    24-points to play for...
    Could be close...🙄
  • Share games with the wife now and after my run of ten winless games, it was her turn yesterday and 3 points duly arrived.

Groan (even more than normal) next time you see me…
    May I politely suggest you spend more time with the kids and let your better half go to more games 💁🏻‍♀️
    At least until we're mathematically safe, anyway.
  • Sponsored links:

• Rob said:
    No it’s not a fucking joke. So you’re the expert on Connor Wickham eh! 
    Clearly a lot better informed than you! 
  • Too smashed to remember any of it 
    boozing hurts
    safety all but confirmed 
    anyone else end up with 35 (three) bills when trying to order a cnuting uber pissed up , it’s getting on my Tits 

0.25% the unthinkable 
    99.75% Third tier football next season
  • JamesSeed said:
    aliwibble said:
    Having seen the highlights, was their first goal technically an own goal from Isted? It looked like he pushed the ball onto the post and in.
    With a keeper it would only be deemed an own goal if the shot wasn’t on target. 
    The guy sort of hooked the ball into the top corner, and Isted couldn’t quite scoop it out. It was a bit of a freak goal really. Or a very nice finish, I’m not sure which. 

Watching it live from the west stand I thought it looked a bit spawney, but watching the highlights back a few times he did really well to get his foot in front of Dobbo and that was a cute volley.
    Nice finish
  • Nice to win when we don’t play well for once. Bring on Saturday! 
  • Too smashed to remember any of it 
    boozing hurts
    safety all but confirmed 
    anyone else end up with 35 (three) bills when trying to order a cnuting uber pissed up , it’s getting on my Tits 

0.25% the unthinkable 
    99.75% Third tier football next season
    I think 0.25% is a little generous for our promotion push this season
  • First match at Valley all year. Not pretty but a wins a win. Loved Alfie’s tunnel jump. Love NJ. The man has passion. How did we convince either Alfie or NJ to join us???

BTW please can someone explain the words to Alfie and Kanu’s songs please? 
    Is there a songs page on here?

Saturday night and I like the way you move.. Daniel Kanu… scores all the time and he’s Charlton’s 29… Daniel Kanu…

Dobedobedobedumdobedoo , running past defenders scoring 1 or 2,
    Looks good (looks good), looks fine (looks fine) Alfie May is on my mind and he’s charltons number 9 singing.. (repeat) 

The Alfie May song is Do Wah Diddy - Manfred Mann
    So it is _
    Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do
    https://www.google.com/search?q=do+wah+diddy+diddy+lyrics&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB1027GB1027&oq=do+wah&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgCEAAYgAQyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQLhiABDIHCAIQABiABDIHCAMQABiABDIHCAQQLhiABDIHCAUQABiABDIHCAYQLhiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQLhiABNIBCjExOTU1ajBqMTWoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
  • First match at Valley all year. Not pretty but a wins a win. Loved Alfie’s tunnel jump. Love NJ. The man has passion. How did we convince either Alfie or NJ to join us???

BTW please can someone explain the words to Alfie and Kanu’s songs please? 
    Is there a songs page on here?

Saturday night and I like the way you move.. Daniel Kanu… scores all the time and he’s Charlton’s 29… Daniel Kanu…

Dobedobedobedumdobedoo , running past defenders scoring 1 or 2,
    Looks good (looks good), looks fine (looks fine) Alfie May is on my mind and he’s charltons number 9 singing.. (repeat) 

The Alfie May song is Do Wah Diddy - Manfred Mann
    So it is _
    Do wah diddy diddy dum diddy do
    https://www.google.com/search?q=do+wah+diddy+diddy+lyrics&rlz=1C1CHBF_enGB1027GB1027&oq=do+wah&gs_lcrp=EgZjaHJvbWUqBwgCEAAYgAQyBggAEEUYOTIHCAEQLhiABDIHCAIQABiABDIHCAMQABiABDIHCAQQLhiABDIHCAUQABiABDIHCAYQLhiABDIHCAcQABiABDIHCAgQLhiABNIBCjExOTU1ajBqMTWoAgCwAgA&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8
    Thanks for this, I knew the melody but not the song so made my own words up for that bit! Close enough I guess 😂.. will sing the correct version from now on!
  • Probably the worst five goal thriller I’ve ever witnessed. Dire game. Zero quality on show. But a win is a win is a win and we are surely now pretty much safe from the dreaded R word. Highlight of the day was Alfie landing on his arse attempting a bootless tunnel jump. We could argue that a lamentable Carlisle dragged us down a level or plead tiredness after a pile of games in short order. Or maybe we’re just a mid tier side in a piss poor league. 

Anderson turned in a performance of Charlie Kirk levels of competence, the difference being that young Karoy clearly gives a f••k. He should have been rested today and hopefully will be hence forward. Other than Alfie and Kanu (why does Charlotte continually refer to him as “Canoe”?) that was a team full of 6 out of 10 performances. But it was good enough and that’s the main thing. 

Notable assist from agent Lavelle. Nice chap. 
    Anderson wasn't great but a three on the player marks thread? You really are a silly billy.
    It's not really anyone's job to critique anyone else's player marks.  We're all entitled to our opinion.  Well, except ronniemoore.
    I don’t even read that thread normally and never give my scores because it doesn’t interest me and what I think is irrelevant but someone else made a comment so I looked at the scores. If you reread this thread @Sillybilly took my comment onboard and actually upgraded his score on Anderson admitting he had been too harsh and didn’t seem put out by what I said.
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 11
    Oggy Red said:
    It’s quite bad tbf - completely understandable why he struggles to get a long term contract anywhere. Bouncing from club to club who need a short term solution. I think Chuks might end up going the same way once his deal here runs out.

Last season Wickham proved his fitness with a decent spell at Forest Green, followed by an unsuccessful period at Cardiff, where he still featured regularly.

Unlike Chuks, his major injury issues do seem to be in the past 
    I'm still puzzled as to why Wickham hasn't had a club all season.

OK, I get clubs could be a bit cautious of his injury record..... but he had a full playing season last year, so unless big wage demands were the issue, I would have thought he'd have got fixed up at some club by the end of the summer transfer window.

Right now he must be relieved to be playing again and have a job at last.

A number of us were saying the same about Hector when he joined, turned out he’d been looking after his father for a bit (or similar, can’t recall exactly) or like NJ himself maybe Wickham just wanted a few months out to spend time with family etc, maybe?
  • aliwibble said:
    Yes, but he's OUR mad box of frogs.
    Is it just the box that's ours and the frogs are on loan?
  • BigDiddy said:

Those not good enough or do not offer any value, in my view, must leave the club.

I know I am off topic, but watching today, I thought what a job NJ has to get us into the promotion push next year.

The problem will be Andy Scott, who is clueless on recruitment, given the chaotic nature of our squad.

NJ looks a proper manager, but the sorting out of the squad need to start in early May.

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu

Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Nice one on padding out the "must go" category with loan players... they will go - like the loan players do every season.

edit to add (whilst I checked)

Payne, DJ contracts are up end of season (so essentially no longer CAFC players), Kirk doesn't have a contract with us, Fiorini is another loan so really you are saying Fraser and Mcgrandles.

You could have just said 'You don't know what you're talking about'.
  • Rothko said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu

Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Nice one on padding out the "must go" category with loan players... they will go - like the loan players do every season.

edit to add (whilst I checked)

Payne, DJ contracts are up end of season (so essentially no longer CAFC players), Kirk doesn't have a contract with us, Fiorini is another loan so really you are saying Fraser and Mcgrandles.

True, but only when you write it all down can you see the poor state of our squad.

Fair comment on the detail, but whichever way you cut it, the squad needs a massive change - question is, will Scott be allowed to rule the roost on future transfers?

Yeah I don't disagree with what you say, and the squad is bloated as Jones has already said. Jones' "post window activities" would suggest perhaps the ownership are looking at his results and taking more notice of him than Scott in the last few weeks so i'd take that as a reason to be positive.

Yes, the behind the scenes conversations and "pecking order" will be very interesting...
    Scott really is the problem - he has left Notts Forest in a mess with his recruitment disasters.

The guy is an idiot.

We have a decent looking manager for the first time in years, so now the back office needs to be as good.

Scott needs to go.
    Really, Forest aren’t really in a mess
    There's quite a strong argument that they are:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/15/nottingham-forest-the-latest-club-in-crosshairs-over-football-short-termism

whether Scott is to blame or not is a different question.
  • There has been a very big and very necessary course correction and I for one have enjoyed watching it, so credit where it’s due. We are still left with a season that has been an unholy mess, however, and the architects of that are still very much in situ. I’d be very keen to limit their influence on next season, if I was a major shareholder picking up the bills for this. 
    Somebody will need to answer why we have 10+ players in a position that can accommodate 3 at most.

An overbloat that isn't too dissimilar to Notts Forest's squad situation that was created a couple of seasons ago.
  • Probably the worst five goal thriller I’ve ever witnessed. Dire game. Zero quality on show. But a win is a win is a win and we are surely now pretty much safe from the dreaded R word. Highlight of the day was Alfie landing on his arse attempting a bootless tunnel jump. We could argue that a lamentable Carlisle dragged us down a level or plead tiredness after a pile of games in short order. Or maybe we’re just a mid tier side in a piss poor league. 

Anderson turned in a performance of Charlie Kirk levels of competence, the difference being that young Karoy clearly gives a f••k. He should have been rested today and hopefully will be hence forward. Other than Alfie and Kanu (why does Charlotte continually refer to him as “Canoe”?) that was a team full of 6 out of 10 performances. But it was good enough and that’s the main thing. 

Notable assist from agent Lavelle. Nice chap. 
    Anderson wasn't great but a three on the player marks thread? You really are a silly billy.
    It's not really anyone's job to critique anyone else's player marks.  We're all entitled to our opinion.  Well, except ronniemoore.
    I don’t even read that thread normally and never give my scores because it doesn’t interest me and what I think is irrelevant but someone else made a comment so I looked at the scores. If you reread this thread @Sillybilly took my comment onboard and actually upgraded his score on Anderson admitting he had been too harsh and didn’t seem put out by what I said.
    All perfectly civil post match dialogue as far as I was concerned @LargeAddick.  Sometimes pausing for reflection before making post match comments or issuing player marks is a good thing. I generally do but launched straight in on Saturday. It was fair enough to be challenged in a perfectly polite and humorous way. Ronnie Moore on the other hand is a professional WUM as far as I’m concerned. Just posts the complete opposite of what everyone else thinks for whatever reason floats his boat. Apologies if I’ve got him wrong. 
  • edited March 11
    There has been a very big and very necessary course correction and I for one have enjoyed watching it, so credit where it’s due. We are still left with a season that has been an unholy mess, however, and the architects of that are still very much in situ. I’d be very keen to limit their influence on next season, if I was a major shareholder picking up the bills for this. 
    Looking from afar, it seems like we have an enormous number of cooks who have been combining to spoil the broth. 
    Now we have Nathan Jones I genuinely believe there should be a big clear out, followed by giving Jones more control over recruitment etc. That would presumably help with the club’s cash flow. 
    I’m quite sure that historically we have been lean and mean in our most successful periods. 
  • 👍 to both large and Sillybilly for amicable and respectful dialogue which resulted in an amendment on the score on the doors and no Macro car park dust up !

Now just like the managers who speaks to the media 10 minutes after the end of a match should there be a cooling off period ?

Should the players marks only start an hour after the end of a match because the blood is still boiling after yet another defensive mistakes by a different Cafc defender has gifted a goal to the opposition.
    Gunter, Inniss etc made a fair share of cock ups to go with Isted + co. 

Also with Anderson he has struggled with his passing in recent games but his work rate has never slackened off so in my opinion is worth at least a 5 out of possession even with poor passing.

Players marks are very subjective and the truth is watching on a screen you can only see a part of the pitch so can't see all the runs and positions taken up and having spent many an away game behind the goal you miss so much on who has done the assist or got the final touch in a crowded goal mouth when the action is down the other end.

The Cheltenham goal was clear to see as both Watson and Coventry should've done better( both had strong games other than that) but the camera angle was hard to detect how much Isted could see of the ball and if he could do better ? Greg Stubley gave him the benefit of the doubt. For most watching on screen or at the match it looked a tad soft.
  • JamesSeed said:
    BigDiddy said:
    JamesSeed said:
    BigDiddy said:
    And TT ?
    on stats he is our best defender, and he almost certainly stopped 2-0 with the header out for a corner today. 
    Fuck the stats - TT is an accident waiting to happen.

How long do we have to wait exactly?
    Have you been watching this season ?
    Yes, have watched every game. 
     The general consensus seems to be that he’s solid defensively, but his clearances and passing are a bit all over the shop. And I know what you mean that sometimes he looks like he might drop a defensive clanger, but he actually hasn’t all season, none that I remember at least, whereas Hector, Jones and Gillesphey have. In fact his positional play is excellent and he makes plenty of interceptions, and wins most of his headers. 
    So yes, still waiting for him really screw up and cost us a goal.
    I’d keep him for next season, as a squad member, not necessarily a starter. 
    Btw, what’s happened to Jones? I thought he was excellent before his suspension. 
    Fair, but let’s agree to disagree as in my view TT looks as though his next touch or pass will cost us - not necessarily a goal, but possession or simply to put other players in trouble.

Would be delighted if he changed my view.
  • edited March 11
    mendonca said:
    There has been a very big and very necessary course correction and I for one have enjoyed watching it, so credit where it’s due. We are still left with a season that has been an unholy mess, however, and the architects of that are still very much in situ. I’d be very keen to limit their influence on next season, if I was a major shareholder picking up the bills for this. 
    Somebody will need to answer why we have 10+ players in a position that can accommodate 3 at most.

An overbloat that isn't too dissimilar to Notts Forest's squad situation that was created a couple of seasons ago.
    Eureka !

Exactly my views