Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United: Saturday 9th March 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Think I am gonna send Apples a big "Thank You" card, in recognition and appreciation of his total ineptness at managing us that ultimately led to his sacking...
    For without his input into the club we would never have got Nathan Jones...🙄
    But Appleton produced a string of results at least as good as the games under Jones so far, so I'm waiting to see how he is doing after another 5 or 6.
    Fair enough mate, but this goes a lot deeper than just results, there is a whole new persona and belief within the club since NJ arrived, the personality...or rather lack of personality that Apples had was clearly being transferred onto the field of play week in, week out...
    I have no doubt in 5 or 6 games nothing will change, apart from pulling further away from trouble, and we can all look forward to next season with a lot of anticipation for success...imo of course.
    Subject to the squad being sorted - especially Goalkeepers, Defence and the need for a few midfielders 
  • BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    Vital win, but as others have said, our squad needs a major rebuild

Those not good enough or do not offer any value, in my view, must leave the club.

I know I am off topic, but watching today, I thought what a job NJ has to get us into the promotion push next year.

The problem will be Andy Scott, who is clueless on recruitment, given the chaotic nature of our squad.

NJ looks a proper manager, but the sorting out of the squad need to start in early May.

It is a massive challenge, but below is my take on it

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu
    - Dobbo [if he plays like today and wants to stay]
    - Anderson [ he will get better]

Loans - please sort out the mess !

The rubbish loanees can all go back to their parent club
    The rubbish we have loaned out - that’s a huge issue/problem

Not good enough, so must go

Goalkeepers - Isted and AMB
    Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

The “never fit”, so must go

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 
    Wickham [ his fitness will be the problem]

Youngsters not quite ready, so loan out?

Asiimwe - needs game time 
    Campbell - need game time
    Henry - last chance saloon 

Never let them wear the shirt again [if they are still on our books]

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Nice one on padding out the "must go" category with loan players... they will go - like the loan players do every season.

edit to add (whilst I checked)

Payne, DJ contracts are up end of season (so essentially no longer CAFC players), Kirk doesn't have a contract with us, Fiorini is another loan so really you are saying Fraser and Mcgrandles.

True, but only when you write it all down can you see the poor state of our squad.

Fair comment on the detail, but whichever way you cut it, the squad needs a massive change - question is, will Scott be allowed to rule the roost on future transfers?

Yeah I don't disagree with what you say, and the squad is bloated as Jones has already said. Jones' "post window activities" would suggest perhaps the ownership are looking at his results and taking more notice of him than Scott in the last few weeks so i'd take that as a reason to be positive.

Yes, the behind the scenes conversations and "pecking order" will be very interesting...
  • edited March 9
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

Those not good enough or do not offer any value, in my view, must leave the club.

I know I am off topic, but watching today, I thought what a job NJ has to get us into the promotion push next year.

The problem will be Andy Scott, who is clueless on recruitment, given the chaotic nature of our squad.

NJ looks a proper manager, but the sorting out of the squad need to start in early May.

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu

Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Nice one on padding out the "must go" category with loan players... they will go - like the loan players do every season.

Payne, DJ contracts are up end of season (so essentially no longer CAFC players), Kirk doesn't have a contract with us, Fiorini is another loan so really you are saying Fraser and Mcgrandles.

True, but only when you write it all down can you see the poor state of our squad.

Fair comment on the detail, but whichever way you cut it, the squad needs a massive change - question is, will Scott be allowed to rule the roost on future transfers?

Yeah I don't disagree with what you say, and the squad is bloated as Jones has already said. Jones' "post window activities" would suggest perhaps the ownership are looking at his results and taking more notice of him than Scott in the last few weeks so i'd take that as a reason to be positive.

Yes, the behind the scenes conversations and "pecking order" will be very interesting...
    Scott really is the problem - he has left Notts Forest in a mess with his recruitment disasters. The guy is an idiot.

We have a decent looking manager for the first time in years, so now the back office needs to be as good

We also have owners who will spend hard cash - the piss poor recruitment of players [and until now, managers] has been the root cause of our decline. Scott is our main problem and that is why he needs to go.

I reckon 10-15 players may need to go this summer - do we really want Scott running that recruitment?

• edited March 9
    Rothko said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu

Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Scott really is the problem - he has left Notts Forest in a mess with his recruitment disasters.

The guy is an idiot.

We have a decent looking manager for the first time in years, so now the back office needs to be as good.

Scott needs to go.
    Really, Forest aren’t really in a mess
    FFP; £150m wasted after which he was sacked.

Forest are a ticking time bomb
  • Dobson was brilliant today- great performance alongside Coventry.
    He'll not go to Hungary.
    He doesn’t want to go. Fact. 
    Had a good game also he will be part of our future 
    Can you elaborate?
  • Only Charlton can go from a maneger who spent 6 months with his hands in pockets like a mute statue to a guy who goes ballistic at a dubious throw-in.

Long may it continue. Season is done. We’re safe. Let’s see what NJ can do (“god willing”). UTA
    He'll not go to Hungary.
    If he doesn't want to go why on earth did he sign a pre contract agreement? It will be just like Charlton to end up paying a six figure fee to keep a player that was already ours.
    Ask Andy Scott
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 9
    The ref was poor, but not surprised. Our forwards were being heavily manhandled which was only clear to see in the ground. He gave a penalty for what he could not see in fouls. It also felt Karoy would be on the receiving end of a second yellow at some stage. 

Excellent penalty from them btw. As good as you'll ever see in fact. 
  • Must be safe now what a turnaround the past few weeks have been. 
  • Having seen the highlights, was their first goal technically an own goal from Isted? It looked like he pushed the ball onto the post and in.
  • edited March 9
    Rothko said:
    Win ugly, job done, as for Anderson, felt he was off it from the moment he got booked 
    Wel, l as you might expect from a 19-year old  who knows people criticised his previous performancé and then gets a quite ridiculous booking from an inexperienced ref looking to “stamp his authority”. Then being penalised twice more for daring to tacklé and to top it off, being blocked off by the sodding ref when he had a break on. 

People should give him a break, especially after that inane booking. 

No one is saying he should be dropped and sent into the ether along with Louie Watson, Terry Taylor, Camara and Fiorini. 

People have quite rightly pointed out that he underperformed the last couple of games, has looked leggy, and could do with a rest.

That’s just factual observation and discussion from the fans. 
    Sure, and  as a fan like you  I’m just joining that discussion to say that I agree he looked tired on Tuesday (one game) but today he was effectively neutered by the ref’s idiotic card, and given his age people should take that into account.
    The yellow card has nothing to do with what were the major issues with his play the last two games, which is getting caught on the ball and under/mis hitting his passes.

CatAddick said:
    Rothko said:
    Win ugly, job done, as for Anderson, felt he was off it from the moment he got booked 
    Well as you might expect from a 19-year old  who knows people criticised his previous performancé and then gets a quite ridiculous booking from an inexperienced ref looking to “stamp his authority”. Then being penalised twice more for daring to tacklé and to top it off, being blocked off by the sodding ref when he had a break on. 

People should give him a break, especially after that inane booking. 

When the ref body checked him I half expected him to turn round and give him a second yellow!

I agree the lad has given his all and is spent.  People need to have some perspective
    Again, people are looking at it *exactly* in perspective, they are saying what you just said. No one is saying long him off, and that he is shit. Almost everyone is saying ‘he has played loads lately, looks leggy, and will benefit from a rest’. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited March 9
    1st home win in the league since November 28th 2023, & 1st time this season we’ve recorded back to back wins, in the league, heady times!
    He'll not go to Hungary.
    If he doesn't want to go why on earth did he sign a pre contract agreement? It will be just like Charlton to end up paying a six figure fee to keep a player that was already ours.
    Ask Andy Scott
    I heard Andy Scott got the heavies round and threatened to take a finger off for each day that Dobbo REFUSED to put pen to paper on that Hungarian contract.

If Dobbo signed it and is now regretting it, he only has himself to blame.

100% this, heard similar.

• Bailey said:
    BigDiddy said:

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu

Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Big Diddy were you drinking when you wrote that ?  Firstly have a look at the players who's contracts are up in July, your get rid list includes loanees, we won't have to 'get rid' they return to the parent club as the loan is over, that includes Camara who is in your 'never fit so must list. Just one more thing, I know you stated sometime ago that you don't attend games but it might be a good idea to get down to the Valley but when you do don't look for Charlie Kirk, he left the club in December. 
    I was there today - as soon as Apples was sacked, I returned.

Note the comment “[If they are still on our books]” - I was not sure about some of them as our squad is so chaotic.

The point of my post was to highlight the problem with Scott.
  • That draw against Lincoln is looking better and better every week, they won 5-1 at Barnsley today! If Lincoln can reach the playoffs, they'll be so full of confidence.
    Just seen the goals from that game.

Wow.

If those goals don't fill you with confidence, nothing will.
  • Southbank said:
    What is really sad is that if NJ had come in 5 games earlier, in mid January, we could well be on the fringes of the playoffs by now.
    Sport can be a game of ifs. You just never know.