Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United: Saturday 9th March 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• My top three players of the season up to now, are in order May, Dobson, and Terell Thomas.
  • Share games with the wife now and after my run of ten winless games, it was her turn yesterday and 3 points duly arrived.

Groan (even more than normal) next time you see me…
    Ooh the perils of marrying a proper Addick. Mrs Stig on the other hand hasn't been to Charlton for so long that I had to explain what a tunnel jump was when describing Alfie's big slapstick moment.
  • edited March 10
    aliwibble said:
    Having seen the highlights, was their first goal technically an own goal from Isted? It looked like he pushed the ball onto the post and in.
    With a keeper it would only be deemed an own goal if the shot wasn’t on target. 
    The guy sort of hooked the ball into the top corner, and Isted couldn’t quite scoop it out. It was a bit of a freak goal really. Or a very nice finish, I’m not sure which. 
    As for the game, I think many of us were a little disappointed, because after such a tough run of games, and some very good performances, I think we were all hoping to see a bit of an exhibition, and a win by at least two or three goals.
    I’m not sure if it was Carlisle playing well, or us not really having the energy to continue the recent energy levels & aggression, or whether it just showed how far we still have to go to be a top six side. Maybe a mixture of all three?
  • LenGlover said:
    Oggy Red said:
    LenGlover said:
    10 point cushion which, given our goal difference is 4 wins. Can they make up 4 wins in the 10 games they have left? 

I think and hope not. That said we need to win a few more to keep up the momentum.
    You can't relax yet, Len.

This is Charlton, remember?  :#:smile:

I know Oggy! Just trying to be a little bit optimistic!
    Stupid boy, Len.
  • Leuth said:
    Was it Coventry who played the ball to Kanu for his goal?
    If so very reminiscent of the pass he made against Derby when Kanu won the penalty. Developing a good understanding.
    It was May
    When he hit that pass I went ‘No, May!’ I thought he was too far from Kanu, who was too isolated. Oops. 
  • Sponsored links:

• JamesSeed said:
    JamesSeed said:
    Carlisle weren’t too bad, all things considered. We’ve played worse teams this season. Just shows what a weird league this is. 
    Coventry is very good, and Wickham looked really sharp. 
    No Tuesday game, so an opportunity to take stock. 
    Did Wickham look ‘really sharp’ ? I must have been watching the wrong human being 
    I was expecting someone who would be way off the pace having not played for so long, like Ladapo maybe, but was impressed with his touch. 
    I’d like to see a compilation of his contributions (9 or 10 in his 20 minutes?) because they nearly all came off - except for the attempted bicycle kick, but even that was worth trying from the position he was in. Certainly good a few oohs and aahs from the CE. 
    Will have a closer look when the full match replay is up on Tuesday. 
    Anyway, if that’s what he’s like after not playing for donkeys, then I’m really looking forwards to seeing what he can do with a game or two under his belt. 
    And I don’t see why so many people emphasise the negatives, rather than the positives. Someone even criticising him for not contributing defensively. A bit like saying, ‘that Alfie May, he’s ok, but I’m seriously worried that he won’t win many headers’.
    That was me. I think when protecting a one-goal lead, expecting a centre forward to engage at the halfway line isn't too much to ask, and he didn't look able to do that. Maybe he was under orders not to, but it still worried me a bit when their players had agency quite so high up the pitch in the last few minutes.
  • We never seem to leave (even) one up when defending corners and set pieces.
    Why not?
  • mendonca said:
    Shame the highlights haven't captured the nice move that saw Kanu's headed bit the wood/metal work.
    Plastic.

Harsh
  • I rather hope anybody who does player marks is consistent with their own internal judgements and thoughts across the season. Some are always easy to please, some are much harder to please, but taken across a season from everybody I am convinced the end results are a pretty accurate reflection of our players.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Wisdom_of_Crowds

• Rothko said:
    Win ugly, job done, as for Anderson, felt he was off it from the moment he got booked 
    Well as you might expect from a 19-year old  who knows people criticised his previous performancé and then gets a quite ridiculous booking from an inexperienced ref looking to “stamp his authority”. Then being penalised twice more for daring to tacklé and to top it off, being blocked off by the sodding ref when he had a break on. 

People should give him a break, especially after that inane booking. 

It's the manager's job to see he's not on his game and deal with the situation.  I don't see anyone having a dig at a 19 year old.
  • Sponsored links:

• seth plum said:
    I rather hope anybody who does player marks is consistent with their own internal judgements and thoughts across the season. Some are always easy to please, some are much harder to please, but taken across a season from everybody I am convinced the end results are a pretty accurate reflection of our players.

Many marking systems remove some of the extremes. Like the 10s and the 2s or threes, in order to prevent vote rigging. I think they do that in the Olympics figure skating, and maybe diving. Or am I imagining that?
  • JamesSeed said:
    seth plum said:
    I rather hope anybody who does player marks is consistent with their own internal judgements and thoughts across the season. Some are always easy to please, some are much harder to please, but taken across a season from everybody I am convinced the end results are a pretty accurate reflection of our players.

Many marking systems remove some of the extremes. Like the 10s and the 2s or threes, in order to prevent vote rigging. I think they do that in the Olympics figure skating, and maybe diving. Or am I imagining that?
    I am sure they do.
    Nevertheless I would leave our system alone, even if I feel annoyed by somebody giving what I believe to be a stupidly harsh or a stupidly fawning mark.
  • A great day for the Dartford boys yesterday. Love it. One from my school and my mates brother from Temple Hill. Get in. COYR. 
  • DOUCHER said:
    I don't think there's any evidence that the owners aren't doing their bit now - scott's performance, yes, but as far as investment, we have a very bloated squad now that must be costing a lot - if all 6 of our strikers were fit, we'd have 3 of the best target men and 3 of the best finishers in the league - we also have an abundance of central defenders and midfielders - as NJ says, the squad needs trimming in places and and adding to in others and i have every confidence that he'll get that right in the summer and next season we will be at the top end. I think our job now is simply to get behind it, help fill the stadium and help roar the team on. 
    Doesn't have to be asked, it's what supporters do.
  • It’s quite bad tbf - completely understandable why he struggles to get a long term contract anywhere. Bouncing from club to club who need a short term solution. I think Chuks might end up going the same way once his deal here runs out.

Last season Wickham proved his fitness with a decent spell at Forest Green, followed by an unsuccessful period at Cardiff, where he still featured regularly.

Unlike Chuks, his major injury issues do seem to be in the past 
  • mendonca said:
    Shame the highlights haven't captured the nice move that saw Kanu's header hit the wood/metal work.

It was quite a leap too I think. Any Vloggers got this?
    Was going to post the same. 

Turned to my mate at the time and said out loud ‘that was a great move’. 
  • edited March 10
    First match at Valley all year. Not pretty but a wins a win. Loved Alfie’s tunnel jump. Love NJ. The man has passion. How did we convince either Alfie or NJ to join us???

BTW please can someone explain the words to Alfie and Kanu’s songs please? 
    Is there a songs page on here?

Saturday night and I like the way you move.. Daniel Kanu… scores all the time and he’s Charlton’s 29… Daniel Kanu…

Dobedobedobedumdobedoo , running past defenders scoring 1 or 2,
    Looks good (looks good), looks fine (looks fine) Alfie May is on my mind and he’s charltons number 9 singing.. (repeat) 

• A scrappy game lacking in any great skill, but I found it reasonably entertaining. A very important result that gives us breathing space. I think a win against Fleetwood will be enough to keep us up - I can't see the bottom four getting to 47 points. I hope we can maintain the intensity until the end of the season. I think it important we finish on a high and hopefully carry that form into next season.

I thought Carlisle looked okay, and certainly didn't look like a team cast adrift at the bottom of the league. I have seen worse this season (excluding us)!

Great to see Alfie May back in the goals and enjoying his football. Kanu also had another great game.