Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United: Saturday 9th March 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• BigDiddy said:
    Vital win, but as others have said, our squad needs a major rebuild

Those not good enough or do not offer any value, in my view, must leave the club.

I know I am off topic, but watching today, I thought what a job NJ has to get us into the promotion push next year.

The problem will be Andy Scott, who is clueless on recruitment, given the chaotic nature of our squad.

NJ looks a proper manager, but the sorting out of the squad need to start in early May.

Out of interest, who recruited Nathan Jones?
  • aliwibble said:
    Having seen the highlights, was their first goal technically an own goal from Isted? It looked like he pushed the ball onto the post and in.
    No, because it was going in.
  • Connor Wickham is a master stroke of a signing from NJ. He fits perfectly into the Chuks mould without the injuries. Just what we needed. 
  • No it’s not a fucking joke. So you’re the expert on Connor Wickham eh! 
  • It’s quite bad tbf - completely understandable why he struggles to get a long term contract anywhere. Bouncing from club to club who need a short term solution. I think Chuks might end up going the same way once his deal here runs out.

• Sponsored links:

• First match at Valley all year. Not pretty but a wins a win. Loved Alfie’s tunnel jump. Love NJ. The man has passion. How did we convince either Alfie or NJ to join us???

BTW please can someone explain the words to Alfie and Kanu’s songs please? 
    Is there a songs page on here?
  • Wickham + Chuks, both injury prone players who, if they weren't injury prone would be playing at a higher level.

So maybe two crocks make a whole.
  • edited March 10
    Carter said:

And Connor Wickham, I'm glad we've picked him up, always been a classy player and contributed well when he came on, I never like us playing sides with him in the opposition squad and glad that he has showed he seems to be serious coming here 
    Totally agree 
  • Dobson was brilliant today- great performance alongside Coventry.
    He'll not go to Hungary.
    If he signs a new contract with us, he'll not go hungry.
  • Was it Coventry who played the ball to Kanu for his goal?
    If so very reminiscent of the pass he made against Derby when Kanu won the penalty. Developing a good understanding.
  • Was it Coventry who played the ball to Kanu for his goal?
    If so very reminiscent of the pass he made against Derby when Kanu won the penalty. Developing a good understanding.
    It was May
  • Sponsored links:

• That was a lot harder than I thought it would be 
    Carlisle gave us a good game 
    Could have gone either way but we stuck in there & got the win 
    It's looking a lot better now in the league I think that's us definitely safe now 
    Well done you Reds 👏 
  • mendonca said:
    Shame the highlights haven't captured the nice move that saw Kanu's headed bit the wood/metal work.
    Plastic.

• I felt Carlisle knew they were down but at least they played with a bit of freedom and I've seen far worse than them so credit to them and their 800 fans, a horrible journey. 

I though Kanu was superb but May seemed backed to his best, his second goal I thought was one of his best of the season purely for the composure. 

Its good to see Jones has got some fire in the belly... We need it badly as the last few years it's been like watching a team of Tellytubbies! 

Not sure about Fleetwood next week, would love a win but I'll take a point purely because we know Stockley will up his game. I'd like to Jones return but he may keep the same aquad. 

By the way not much has been said so far about this Brighton player Lukaku? Is that the fella that you used to do somersaults after scoring? Apologies if I'm wrong I'm old.

Anyway first Saturday league win since October 21st.... You couldn't make it up. 

• Delighted we have won as think we are basically safe now baring a biblical collapse by us. Thought the main positive was the link up play between May & Kanu.

Still annoyed that we gift goals away to weak opposition. Can’t remember Carlisle having a substained period of attack but still scored two goals.  
  • Off_it said:
    BigDiddy said:

Those not good enough or do not offer any value, in my view, must leave the club.

I know I am off topic, but watching today, I thought what a job NJ has to get us into the promotion push next year.

The problem will be Andy Scott, who is clueless on recruitment, given the chaotic nature of our squad.

NJ looks a proper manager, but the sorting out of the squad need to start in early May.

BigDiddy said:
    BigDiddy said:

It is a massive challenge, but below is my take on it

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu
    - Dobbo [if he plays like today and wants to stay]
    - Anderson [ he will get better]

Loans - please sort out the mess !

The rubbish loanees can all go back to their parent club
    The rubbish we have loaned out - that’s a huge issue/problem

Not good enough, so must go

Goalkeepers - Isted and AMB
    Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

The “never fit”, so must go

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 
    Wickham [ his fitness will be the problem]

Youngsters not quite ready, so loan out?

Asiimwe - needs game time 
    Campbell - need game time
    Henry - last chance saloon 

Never let them wear the shirt again [if they are still on our books]

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Ffs Ramsay!!!!!!! Jesus, let's write a player off after 100 minutes shall we
    Madness… “Never fit” but played 24 games this season prior to signing for us. Terry Taylor not dissimilar.
    Our signings have been poor over many seasons - look at the size of our squad and where we are now.

We cant go on as before and yes some departures may be brutal - NJ seems very good, so the squad will be an issue and decisions will need to be made about some players.

It’s madness to have a massive squad like ours with the range of crap or unfit players.

Thats the main point - if Ramsey and Taylor do turn out, of course they can then be judged, but I’ve seen little of either, hence my view
    So because "you've seen little of either Ramsay or Taylor" they must go.
    Hilarious.
    This season proves we cannot carry unavailable players.  We were flirting with relegation for a reason and not just Appleton.

It’s not hilarious, but actually shocking the depths we have fallen to this season.

If they keep players that cannot play, it will extend the problems we have now into the future.

The focus should also be about the wider squad and not just these two and you miss the point of my post, like a few others have too.

• Delighted we have won as think we are basically safe now baring a biblical collapse by us. Thought the main positive was the link up play between May & Kanu.

Still annoyed that we gift goals away to weak opposition. Can’t remember Carlisle having a substained period of attack but still scored two goals.  
    The penalty was unbelievably soft tbh 
  • Off_it said:
    BigDiddy said:

Jones would have been recruited by those above him - Warwick and Methven.

I think the owners look as though they will spend - my gripe is not about them, but is about the senior team here.  If Jones is now making key decisions on recruitment, what is the point of Scott?

Just need very good scouts to check out targets and report.

My point is about the piss poor recruitment that has led to us flirting with relegation this year - that must never happen again, so it will start with how we do in the next window, not wait until the ends of the window to pick up whoever is left in the market 

NJ has done a great job, but we still look like a mid table L1 team, with a few really good players.

That is why the club needs to change recruitment [and retention] and it needs to start in May.