Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United: Saturday 9th March 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• I wouldn't go overboard at the performance. Carlisle played with freedom and we probably didn't give them enough respect, especially in the first half. We probably could have scored more in the second half and the way our defence played it looked as though it was going to be needed. Gillisphrey and Thomas were all over the place and for the first time since his return, Isted did not seem to have any continuity with his back three. Good to see Alfie enjoying his football again, with Coventry, Dobson, Small and Kanu outstanding performers. 
  • First game I've seen under Nathan Jones – if that was our worst performance under him then I'm reasonably happy with how things are going.

Dobson will be a huge loss when (if?) he goes. He and Coventry kept us ticking over in midfield smoothly enough, albeit against pretty limited opposition, and each of them came close to scoring. I was very worried when Anderson was booked so early on, and it wasn't a great display from him, but at least he avoided a red.

Another mistake from Gillesphey led to the corner from which Carlisle opened the scoring. As much as we've improved as a team, we're still conceding lots of goals, and if we're serious about challenging for promotion next season (assuming we stay up!) that needs to change.

Small was good going forward and pretty solid when defending. Really hope we can keep him next season – it looks like he enjoys being here too.

Like the look of Wickham, with a nice flick-on which Lavelle kindly served on a plate for May. He and Kanu were terrific – Kanu got lucky that his terrible shot found May for our first-half equaliser, but the pass from May and the control and finish from Kanu to put us 2-1 up were top-quality. The less said about Alfie's tunnel jump the better 😉

Not the most entertaining 3-2 you'll ever see, but it shows that we're laying the foundations for a brighter future under Nathan Jones. And after the lifeless droid that was Michael Appleton, I love how much it means to him.
  • Win ugly, job done, as for Anderson, felt he was off it from the moment he got booked 
  • Thought it was a pretty dire performance really but it's the points that matter. Coventry, Dobbo, May and Kanu were the standouts for me, Wickham a good cameo. Ladapo could barely move in contrast. Small was decent too. Jones has done a phenomenal job since coming in to turn things around.

However, let's not get carried away. Last two performances both got the job done but in neither were we particularly good. And the teams we played were both entrenched in the bottom four. If anyone thinks anything less than five/six new first teamers, not squad players but actual regular starters, will get us into the top six next season then I think you are seriously deluded. An overhaul is required with quality players needed to come in. If the Club backs NJ, and I'm assuming they will otherwise he wouldn't be here, then I'm confident he can take us up next season. 
    Bingo
  • I assumed we would give them a thumping and I assumed wrong. Fair play to Carlisle, they gave it a good go and made the game tighter than i expected. Also fair play to their fans. Very good numbers to come all this way for a league 1 fixture.

Starting to enjoy being a charlton fan again and not worrying as much that we will be playing league 2 football. Good times are on their way to SE7.
  • Sponsored links:

• I thought our crowd was a bit flat during the game today. We have work to do if we are to become the fabled “fortress”. 
    Really? Thought that was a better atmosphere than most home games this season
  • Any one missing CBT. Small so much better. Nice to have a decent manager. Who sees division 3 players shouldn’t be messing about with it at back.looking forward to next season now. 
  • Felt the players showed some complacency from kick off and each Carlisle goal knocked them back into gear, 1 more win should see us safe
  • Also fair play to their fans. Very good numbers to come all this way for a league 1 fixture.
    100% agree, difficult journey from Scotland.
  • Sponsored links:

• Three points that all but secure our safety are obviously welcome, but didn’t we make hard work of it! 

Not sure how a team that lines up with Dobson and Coventry in the middle was so unable to control the middle of the pitch against a pub side, but our strikers were at it today. I kinda wanted May to stay on to maybe get our first hat trick in the league for centuries. 

All in all a good win, focus now moves to next season.
  • Probably the worst five goal thriller I’ve ever witnessed. Dire game. Zero quality on show. But a win is a win is a win and we are surely now pretty much safe from the dreaded R word. Highlight of the day was Alfie landing on his arse attempting a bootless tunnel jump. We could argue that a lamentable Carlisle dragged us down a level or plead tiredness after a pile of games in short order. Or maybe we’re just a mid tier side in a piss poor league. 

Anderson turned in a performance of Charlie Kirk levels of competence, the difference being that young Karoy clearly gives a f••k. He should have been rested today and hopefully will be hence forward. Other than Alfie and Kanu (why does Charlotte continually refer to him as “Canoe”?) that was a team full of 6 out of 10 performances. But it was good enough and that’s the main thing. 

Complaining about a home win when it was so long since the last one !
    Nathan Jones decided he doesn't really want to change a winning team unless he had to because of injury. Check out the team over the last 3 games. You are giving young Anderson loads of stick again but the manager wants him to play his way through this because of his work rate.

Heavy favourites to win today and the difference in attitude is amazing and IF he feels Anderson needs a rest he will do it.

3 wins and 4 draws from last 7 games is an amazing turn around after heading only one way before the arrival of NJ.
    Absolutely. Anderson is still on there because literally not one of the other 10 midfielders  we have on our books can play in that position with the same energy and commitment. That is the disgrace, not Anderson.
  • We won. I don’t care how pretty or not it was. I’ve not seen this team for a while. There’s endeavour, a little skill here and there but we do need a new goalkeeper.
  • Alfie's first goal was a really decent goal. Good reaction, control and finish, reminiscent of Super Clive.
  • edited March 9
    Not the game I expected when I arrived but a win is a win. Suspect some nerves in play given we have not won at home in months and Carlisle took the game to us and we gave them 2 goals even though their top striker had only a return of 6 so far.
    Positives were Small and Wickham who looks a good replacement for poor old ever broken Chuks and Alfie is scoring again. We also won a game we may have lost a few weeks back.
    Negatives are that we should have thrashed this team and finished the game in the first half.
    Still 14th now so onwards and upwards but quite a bit still needs to change if we are to escape league one next season...