Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Carlisle United: Saturday 9th March 2024 | KO 15:00

Comments

• Great result really. Another 3 points. Jones has done a fantastic job. Performance was a bit of an odd one as we've played a lot better recently. Didn't think anyone played bad, just not that intensity? Maybe fatigue? 

Their penalty was odd it happened so quickly and I'm not entirely sure what it was for? 
  • Of course a strong finish is important but it’s all about next season now. In my opinion, two thirds of this squad won’t be good enough so they’re all but a handful are on trial. Jones wants a trimmed down squad and we’ll see some new additions so many of this lot will be gone.
  • Of course a strong finish is important but it’s all about next season now. In my opinion, two thirds of this squad won’t be good enough so they’re all but a handful are on trial. Jones wants a trimmed down squad and we’ll see some new additions so many of this lot will be gone.
    Probably a good thing. 
  • Great result really. Another 3 points. Jones has done a fantastic job. Performance was a bit of an odd one as we've played a lot better recently. Didn't think anyone played bad, just not that intensity? Maybe fatigue? 

Their penalty was odd it happened so quickly and I'm not entirely sure what it was for? 
    From where I was sitting it was very clear our player had hold of the shirt of the Carlisle player and was pulling him back so he couldn’t get a shot away, definitely a penalty.

From where I was sitting it was very clear our player had hold of the shirt of the Carlisle player and was pulling him back so he couldn’t get a shot away, definitely a penalty.
    Fair enough, I was north stand. But couldn't see anything. Matters not, as 3 points is all that counts 
  • Sponsored links:

• We made hard work of that but the quality up front told.
  • Enjoyable. Looked good when Coventry was on the ball and May was really sharp. Great finish by Kanu. 
    Lack of quality in the passing of the back three restricted the ball the three of them had though I felt. 
  • First Half was poor, the Referee was poor,
    and struggling Carlisle had a very good Goalkeeper who saved at least two goals.
    second half better, and MAY won the game.
    not all wins are pretty 🤩 but a win is a win.
    man of the match NJ 👍👍👍
  • Sponsored links:

• BigDiddy said:
    Vital win, but as others have said, our squad needs a major rebuild

Those not good enough or do not offer any value, in my view, must leave the club.

I know I am off topic, but watching today, I thought what a job NJ has to get us into the promotion push next year.

The problem will be Andy Scott, who is clueless on recruitment, given the chaotic nature of our squad.

NJ looks a proper manager, but the sorting out of the squad need to start in early May.

It is a massive challenge, but below is my take on it

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu
    - Dobbo [if he plays like today and wants to stay]
    - Anderson [ he will get better]

Loans - please sort out the mess !

The rubbish loanees can all go back to their parent club
    The rubbish we have loaned out - that’s a huge issue/problem

Not good enough, so must go

Goalkeepers - Isted and AMB
    Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

The “never fit”, so must go

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 
    Wickham [ his fitness will be the problem]

Youngsters not quite ready, so loan out?

Asiimwe - needs game time 
    Campbell - need game time
    Henry - last chance saloon 

Never let them wear the shirt again [if they are still on our books]

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Ffs Ramsay!!!!!!! Jesus, let's write a player off after 100 minutes shall we
    Madness… “Never fit” but played 24 games this season prior to signing for us. Terry Taylor not dissimilar.
    Our signings have been poor over many seasons - look at the size of our squad and where we are now.

We cant go on as before and yes some departures may be brutal - NJ seems very good, so the squad will be an issue and decisions will need to be made about some players.

It’s madness to have a massive squad like ours with the range of crap or unfit players.

Thats the main point - if Ramsey and Taylor do turn out, of course they can then be judged, but I’ve seen little of either, hence my view
  • Win ugly and get ourselves safe. I'd say that's job done as Cheltenham have lost their form this week. 

Defence and GK have to be priorities in the summer. Our ability to leak soft goals seems to be the one thing even Jones can't stop.

Coventry growing into the player we hoped we'd signed, Wickham had a good cameo and May & Kanu both great again. 
  • Not the buccaneering performance I was expecting, but at 2-2 with 20 minutes remaining its not long ago we were losing these kinds of games. Three points in the bag and we're clearly on an upward curve under Jones. Run-in looking favourable for a strong finish to the season.
  • BigDiddy said:
    Vital win, but as others have said, our squad needs a major rebuild

Those not good enough or do not offer any value, in my view, must leave the club.

I know I am off topic, but watching today, I thought what a job NJ has to get us into the promotion push next year.

The problem will be Andy Scott, who is clueless on recruitment, given the chaotic nature of our squad.

NJ looks a proper manager, but the sorting out of the squad need to start in early May.

It is a massive challenge, but below is my take on it

Must keeps 

- Small
    - EDG 
    - ConCov
    - May 
    - Leaburn
    - Kanu
    - Dobbo [if he plays like today and wants to stay]
    - Anderson [ he will get better]

Loans - please sort out the mess !

The rubbish loanees can all go back to their parent club
    The rubbish we have loaned out - that’s a huge issue/problem

Not good enough, so must go

Goalkeepers - Isted and AMB
    Thomas - get rid
    Edun - get rid
    Ladapo - get rid
    Bakinson - get rid
    Hector - get rid
    Ness - sell or loan out
    Chin - sell or loan out
    L Watson - get rid 

The “never fit”, so must go

Taylor 
    Ramsey 
    Chuks
    Camara

Jury’s still out….a risk 

Ghillesphey 
    T Watson 
    Jones 
    Wickham [ his fitness will be the problem]

Youngsters not quite ready, so loan out?

Asiimwe - needs game time 
    Campbell - need game time
    Henry - last chance saloon 

Never let them wear the shirt again [if they are still on our books]

Payne
    Fraser
    Deejay
    Mcgrandles 
    Kirk
    Fiorini 

Nice one on padding out the "must go" category with loan players... they will go - like the loan players do every season.

edit to add (whilst I checked)

Payne, DJ contracts are up end of season (so essentially no longer CAFC players), Kirk doesn't have a contract with us, Fiorini is another loan so really you are saying Fraser and Mcgrandles.

True, but only when you write it all down can you see the poor state of our squad.

Fair comment on the detail, but whichever way you cut it, the squad needs a massive change - question is, will Scott be allowed to rule the roost on future transfers?

• May and Kanu striking up a really good partnership bodes well for next season. Move Alfie into the 10 and put Leaburn in and we have a destructive front 3.
    May and Kanu striking up a really good partnership bodes well for next season. Move Alfie into the 10 and put Leaburn in and we have a destructive front 3.
    Problem is the other end of the pitch - we leak goals and look really suspect at the back
  • Harry Lewis the Carlisle goalkeeper who we all thought made some top saves was playing for Bradford until January.

Carlisle bought him in and Bradford replaced him with Sam Walker when his contract expired with us here. And Bradford fans are saying that Walker is a better goalkeeper than the other Carlisle bought off them.

Just goes to show that football is a big game of opinions doesn’t it?