Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Northampton Town: Tuesday 23rd January 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Can anyone confirm the guy called Lapado we've signed is the one from Ipswich, and not his namesake who scored 2 goals in 232 appearances for 'the Old Bull and Pistle pub' B team in the Hastings and district league?
    Not played many games. Same old story incoming player not match fit.

That was Brown's criticism, post match, saying why sign players in January that have to GET FIT in the first team. Season after season. It results in others dragging along with them 
    And trying to get them fit in first team fixtures leaves the open to picking up strains and knocks. Of all the newbies last night, only Coventry and REG looked match fit, Lapado clearly isn't neither is Gillphrey, Bakinson covered a lot of ground but faded in the second half. The defence has been a problem for two managers now, in Holden and Appleton, there is also a problem with certain players having a crisis of confidence, Jones and Campbell are simply shocking because of that. Lots of work for the new guy and the upcoming fixtures will only experate the crisis. 
  • edited January 24
    ValleyBen said:
    I believe the defence will massively improve just from being well drilled, hopefully the next manager is not another who finds defending boring. 
    Jones has looked ok until Hector got injured. Some players need somebody to yell at them, he's yours etc... Some need to do the yelling. The Burton opener was a classic example of a player not scanning the pitch for threats. There were two forwards and Jones decided to cover both, effectively covering neither, but the eleven was already covered. 

Port Vale, there were limited threats as things were pretty crowded with us having a lead. There were enough defenders for the nearest one to go tighter on their goalscorer. Again that was Jones. This isn't football ability per se. Just assessing the threats as a defender and maybe a leader on the pitch would sort that out. Maybe Hector is the closest thing to a defensive leader we have/had. I can't comment on the new signings of course.

• Chunes said:
    cabbles said:
    Shame we couldn’t get one more post match interview with Apples, we’ll never know what he thought about the game 
    The thing is, we were still in the game up until the last minute, and against a top, top side. And as long as we keep doing that, we'll give ourselves every chance. 
    WTF?
    Whooooosh
  • Got back to Manchester last night at 2:15 am, never knew Appleton had been sacked until this morning, Just played Radiohead and Jesus and Mary chain cd`s on the way home to cheer me up. 
    Should have put a few tracks of Portishead on. That would have sorted your head out.

• Got home from the game last night to find this, apparently it fell off the shelf.
    not handling this winless run well eh!
  • Wonder who will replace Edun for Saturday. Probably, Watson at LB and Assimwe at RWB. Not sure anyone else can play wing back, and it’s not good having to completely change formation because missing one player. 
  • I see the official attendance was given as 10,493.

Must have been a lot of people who spent the whole game on the concourses!
  • I wouldn't have wanted a point... As it might have delayed for another game. But this happening feels like a win in a weird and and uncomfortable way. 
    Still think we are in a battle whoever comes in, forget February games in March we play the bottom 4 so that will determine it. 

My thoughts too. I think I even celebrated a little when it went in..........then felt ashamed of myself 🫢 but all was forgotten when the announcement was made.
  • edited January 24
    Agree about the atmosphere, it was so depressing and to top it off,  Northampton fans larging it up outside the West End after the game, 

Has to be the lowest point following this club. 
    Your last statement gives away the lack of history you have about Charlton Athletic.

Might be your lowest point following the club but doesn’t come close to the 21st September 1985 or what led up to it.
  • Sponsored links:

• Kevin Nolan's take: https://greenwichwire.co.uk/2024/01/24/kevin-nolans-valley-view-charlton-athletic-2-3-northampton-town/

(I wasn't there, I was working from home, but I could still hear the boos...)
  • My biggest concern is where are the goals coming from and who is creating? Aside from May, Tyreece, who is blowing hot and cold, hopefully Ladapo, Jones and Dobbo who has actually scored this season? Pretty worrying stuff 
  • I'm probably reading something out of nothing, but found it a bit strange that Dobson was parading his daughter around before the match. Unusual for a cold Tuesday night I thought. It almost felt like a goodbye.............or maybe his babysitter let him down at the last minute?
  • For over 40 years watching Charlton Athletic that has to go down as one of the most surreal games I’ve ever seen from before kick off to after the final whistle.

An empty Valley but the noise towards Appleton (And Rightly So) was loud and clear, though I must have been naive cause I didn’t expect it to start as they walked out. The 3 lads making their home debuts must have thought what the hell is going on here

Should have won last night. Again we are a soft touch at the back and until that is rectified then we fall further down the league table.

7 games between now and the end of February. Everyone needs to get this turned around between this Saturday and the Derby away fixture. 
  • I'm probably reading something out of nothing, but found it a bit strange that Dobson was parading his daughter around before the match. Unusual for a cold Tuesday night I thought. It almost felt like a goodbye.............or maybe his babysitter let him down at the last minute?
    I did think it odd 🤔 
  • It all has the feel of the Parkinson team that got relegated from the Championship. A team stuffed full of loan & panic signings players, who individually weren't bad players but collectively were about as brittle as they come. 
    That was my take on it .  Last home game before the window slams shut ? 
  • 7 goals conceded after 90 minutes this season costing us 9 points. We've scored 4 after 90 which have gained us 2 points (2 of those games we were already winning so didnt really iimpact the outcome). 

A massive mental weakness in this squad.
  • Sponsored links:

He did it at Burton as well, thought it was strange he's done it twice. 
  • Last night I felt wretched, bewildered and lost, but now I've slept on it ... I feel exactly the same.  :s

He did it at Burton as well, thought it was strange he's done it twice. 
    It is odd. I was wondering if it’s just something to document this part of their life but that feels like a goodbye move. Chances are we’re reading too much into it though 
  • Simonsen said:
    It all has the feel of the Parkinson team that got relegated from the Championship. A team stuffed full of loan & panic signings players, who individually weren't bad players but collectively were about as brittle as they come. 
    This.
  • edited January 24
    Weirdly, had a great night, last night, in a way.

Spent an hour and a half in the dentist's chair before the match, listening to the NotThe Top20 podcast.
    I get on the train and bump into George Elek who tells me he though Appleton was the best manager Oxford ever had, and can't believe what's happened. Then met up with Ali Maxwell, and we discussed how the match was going to be make or break for MA, and would be toxic. I think they were looking forward to the game to see how it all played out, but in a train wreck kind of a way. Nice lads though. What a life they lead!

Then I get to the game, and my friend Tim has brought his mate Ian, a Southampton fan. Now the Saints are pretty near the top of the EFL form table, while we are pretty near the bottom, so I was expecting it to be a pretty embarrassing night. Far from it! He absolutely loved the game, and was pretty enamoured of the team - no matter how hard we tried to put him right. Think he'll be coming to more matches.

Tbh, I'm glad MA has gone, but the toxicity was no fun. The bit where the fans sang 'give us a wave', and 'we've seen your hands' was great. More of that, and less of the other. Humour is a great weapon.

We have become a toxic club after years of mismanagement, in danger of relegation to the fourth tier for the first time in out history.
    20 managers in ten years. Seed and Curbs managed nearly forty years between the two of them.
  • Welcome to Charlton
    The glory days of yesteryear
    The Valley is fucking empty
    All we see is shit and beer
    We're all used to losing
    It's sad how things have gone
    But our club is slowly dying
    And it just can't carry on...

Allez allez allez

:cry:
  • Sage said:
    Welcome to Charlton
    The glory days of yesteryear
    The Valley is fucking empty
    All we see is shit and beer
    We're all used to losing
    It's sad how things have gone
    But our club is slowly dying
    And it just can't carry on...

Allez allez allez is dying

:cry:

• JamesSeed said:
    Bizarre night, for all sorts of reasons. Much has been written about the game and Appleton, so I'll just focus on the defending and the new players.
    I'm going to do a golfie here and say I've been calling out Jones's defending for some time, and was calling for Thomas to start ahead of him after a couple of very good performances and a largely solid season before that. My heart sank when Jones was yet again first choice (just as he had been for some over the improving Hector), with Thomas yet again benched. 
    Thing about Jones is that he really looks the part; tall, athletic and confident, whereas Thomas looks somehow apologetic in demeanour. He knows what he's doing though. Hector was MotM a couple of time in a row when Jones was injured, and Thomas was playing alongside him. I hope the new manager is a better judge of players than Appleton. But despite that, maybe Jones can improve with better coaching and a more settled defence alongside him? Not sure though.

New players:
    Really too early to judge the new centre backs. I thought REG looked very good on the ball at times, but made a few mistakes and was caught out positionally once or twice. Not too bad for a debut in a side under such pressure, I guess. 45% rating so far. Gillesphey, similarly, will need time to bed in with whatever combination of players and formation the new manager chooses. Also 45% rating. Both should improve with each match though.
    Bakinson I like, partly because of his physicality, but he wasn't quite on it at times yesterday. Looked dead on his feet for some reason, in the second half. But at least he is affecting games, breaking up play, creating chances, and getting into good scoring positions himself. It's a shame his shooting isn't great. Rating, 60%.
    Coventry is certainly a busy player, but hasn't really looked very effective as yet, in the sense of making an assist or saving a goal with a tackle, or whatever. We'll have to hope he is Cullen-esque rather than Kilkenny-esque. Rating, 45% so far.
    Fiorini really looked off the pace, so they'll need to get minutes into him, hopefully in the U21s. Rating, 35% so far, but early doors.
    Ladapo; I was less impressed with his signing than many because the couple of times I'd seen seen him I thought he didn't look particularly outstanding. Thought he did quite well at Burton, but looked a bit slow yesterday, and his first touch wasn't great. But there's something about him that makes you think he'll score goals when fit (assuming he isn't already fit). 50% rating so far.
    Scandalous that Freddie wasn't subbed for Kanu in the second half. That one decision alone could have lost the match for us, because Northampton were there for the taking. We actually played quite well in the second half.
    Similarly, not utilising Louie Watson at all was crazy. Appleton clearly didn't trust him. Watson's rating has to be over 50% from what I've seen. 55%?
    Overall it's difficult to judge how the new signings will affect our chances of survival. I can't help feeling slightly underwhelmed so far, sadly, but it's early days I guess. The window has been 50/50 for me.

The 'wing backs':
    Well Edun seems to be improving, but isn't great at crossing. Battled away last night at least. Shame that deep into the second half, when he finally reached the byline with three of our players on the back stick, he chose to play a cross along the ground, where at least four of their defenders were waiting for it. A dinked cross was expecting too much, sadly. 45%
    Tenai Watson doesn't look up to standard, but I thought be had a bit more about him at times last night. He had a couple of good moments down the right in the second half when he seemed to have a bit more fire in his belly. But he's a backup player at best though, and we need to recruit better, particularly if we're going to play three at the back. Rating, 30%.

Dobbo and May were outstanding yesterday in terms of battling, and 'playing for the shirt'. May again looked furious at time, whether with himself, Appleton, other players or the referee, it was hard to tell, but I loved his passion. Similarly Dobson gave everything yesterday, and although he was a bit up and down in his play he appeared to be everywhere, and never stopped running. Really hope he isn't leaving us.

AMB pulled off a couple of wonder saves which went under the radar somehow. Perhaps they'll be on the expended highlights. Maybe we should give Isted a run of games now though, as he just might be a slightly better keeper.
    Signing a better one than those two should be a priority in the summer though. Such a key player, the keeper.
    Good summing up of the bits and pieces which make up the team at the moment (and that's the point, they are bits which need to be melded into an effective outfit). If you are going to play wing backs, then they have to be good at defending and attacking. Neither of these two make the grade.

Coventry appears to be channeling Declan Rice in the way he plays. I like the way he looks for the ball all the time and his free kicks and corners are a massive improvement on what has gone before this season.

Thomas was very good (again) when he came on although perhaps he was too far up the pitch looking to help get a winner when Northampton scored their third.

Apart from from their admirable efforts on the pitch, Dobbo and May appeared to be the dressing room leaders at half time (much discussion going on between them) and when they kept the team in a huddle on the pitch at the end of the game
  • edited January 24
    Something was missing last night.

Paucity of crowd? No
    Lack of atmosphere? No
    Wayward passing? No
    Last gasp kick in the nuts? No
    A general air of resignation and desperation? No
    A collective feeling of "what now"? No

Then I thought, a guitar solo!  Felt marginally better after that, only marginally.
  • It amazes me that this club has had more managers since Curbs left than we had before him