Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Northampton Town: Tuesday 23rd January 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• 4 reasons why Appleton should never have been anywhere near the team tonight.

1 Starting Jones who is hopelessly out of form and dropping Thomas (who has been good in the last 2 games)

2 Keeping a knackered Ladapo on and not bringing on Kanu.

3 Taking Watson off and replacing him with Campbell - that was never going to work

4 Bringing Fiorini on. Why on earth has he been signed?
    This exactly.

We were well on top and his substitutions were bizarre. We had finally settled down after the decision to play all those defensive midfielders and we were finding loads of space, especially Dobson.

Glad he is gone but the decision making by the players is shocking, Bakinson should have had two goals

The AMB ‘penalty’ was directly after TC has failed to cross the ball with three players waiting for a tap in, including Dobbo, who though sloppy, typifies what a Charlton player should be about.

Even the poor, can pass a ball two yards, Coventry started getting into the game.

i don’t want to see TC play for Charlton again unfortunately.

• Referee and Lino shocking again. Their first goal was surely offside, their player must have handballed it in that block, Edun not a second yellow, Maynard brewer should have been sent off and a pen given. At least that's what it looked like from the stands, haven't seen the replays yet. 
  • It's almost regrettable that we didn't hear from Appleton afterwards to try and justify some of his decisions.

Like starting Jones instead of Thomas.
    Letting Asiimwe play for the U21s today instead of being a like for like swap at wing back instead of the hopelessly out of form Campbell.
    Letting L Watson rot on the bench, and instead again bringing on the unfit Fiorini.
    Not bringing on Kanu for the knackered Ladapo.
    Playing Dobson as an attacking midfielder in the second half. It was frankly bizarre to see him on the shoulder of the last defenders, and bending a run to stay onside.

I know what you are saying, but after watching our club fall to this low ebb I might have broken my telly if he had been on the mic.
  • Thought Thomas played extremely well tonight. One of the only positives.
    Thought it was a bit odd that following Edun’s dismissal, it was Thomas who was deployed on the left side, rather than Gillesphey. Thomas was quite good there too. 

Felt Gillesphey didn’t need to head that ball at the end, it would have bounced through to Maynard Brewer (even if he was camped on his line)
  • Sponsored links:

• Just seen goals on Sky - their first goal is waaaay offside, but Lino not level with play 

The sending off is shocking - it should have been a straight red to the Northampton player !!!

Hey ho - my mates and I off to Blackpool Saturday - Albie Morgan masterclass incoming 🙄
    The ref got off very lightly, there was so much aimed at Appleton that everyone forgot to give the dogshit ref any abuse. He was so,so poor.
  • edited January 24
    Tell you what, Gillesphy and REG looked fucking shite. Their winning goal is comical
  • edited January 24
    Thomas has been playing well for the last few games. Jones has lost all confidence and I don't know but maybe needs a leader to tell him what to do on the pitch. Anyway, Appleton deserves the sack for not seeing that lack of confidence is currently a liability. I wouldn't have a fight with anybody saying that Jones has more potential than Thomas, but at this time one is playing shit and one is playing well. A manager that ignores that is in trouble. As in has lost the plot.
  • edited January 24
    Not a mention for REG so far? Afraid I was not impressed.

Not sure I’ve ever known a red card and a manager not respond immediately or at least in a few minutes with a sub or two. We desperately needed fresh legs at that point. 

Players’ behaviour very telling at the end when they let MA walk down the tunnel and hung back. Thomas the first to start clapping the Covered End while shaking his head. Dobbo doing a fist pump and Alfie grabbing the badge. There is some heart in this team. They need a decent leader / manager to reinforce it. 
    I thought he had some good range of passes, and some of his positional play was also good. He seemed to have some pace. But I was only watching on the stream so can't see the whole game.
    Maybe the next fella in charge can get a tune out of the defence?

• You want a few games to get the defence working/understanding which we haven't got. But not playing players with zero confidence would be a start.
  • edited January 24
    IdleHans said:
    Did anyone else notice that when Edun got his second yellow the hoarding behind him flashed up "booking.cafc.co.uk"?
    No, but I noticed another point in the match when we'd just cocked something up (can't remember what), someone was standing in front of the k, so it read booing.com
  • Well, I personally am ecstatic he has gone, around 6 games or so too late, but better than never. 

Next managerial appointment is critical as we are in a real danger of relegation (as we have been for almost 2 months) of league 2. 

Unfortunately I called the result tonight and it played out exactly as expected, why he was ever in charge for the game is beyond my comprehension.

A lof of these players need to be held accountable and truth be told, I don't like the look of a lot of the new signings. I think Ladapo is a player, Coventry could be and Bakinson seems to give a shit, the rest, I really don't know. 

There is some character in this team, but we need the right manager to utilise it. I think May, Dobson, Thomas, Isted, Edun and Bakinson have that bit of steel about them and be ready for it. 

Be very curious to see who we are now linked with, I personally think Nathan Jones as an early front runner is very promising. He plays a 352 with 2 DMs so he has a pretty ready made squad waiting for him

• Sponsored links:

• edited January 24
  • For me AMB needs to be replaced.....you can see the players were having a go at him for his lack of communication skills tonight.....get Isted back in ASAP....
  • Scott should now come on CTV and explain the situation.
    If not him, the other two.

Radio Silence will be the case.
  • It’s truly amazing how many Charlton fans tonight in Bartrams bar thought that our manager would stay till the end of the season just because of a few new signings 🤣🤣🤣
    small the fucking roses, the man is inept and useless and had to go 👋👋👋👋🚚
  • Shame we couldn’t get one more post match interview with Apples, we’ll never know what he thought about the game 
  • edited January 24
    Scott should now come on CTV and explain the situation.
    If not him, the other two.

Radio Silence will be the case.
    Scott was looking to install a winning mentality at the Club when he brought Appleton in. Well he failed and I've been expecting us to lose every game of late. Unless whoever comes in can make us harder to beat, we will go down, for every club in the league knows if you pressure us late on we'll concede, and few clubs who have that about them survive relegation battles.

Edit - looking on the bright side, now the nasty man has gone away, we needn't be so frightened and might turn a corner.