Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Charlton Athletic vs Northampton Town: Tuesday 23rd January 2024 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Foxycafc said:
    Good God, that statement must be one of the briefest announcements ever on the OS!
  • Gribbo said:
    Reckon that once he has been sacked, there needs to be a bit of an amnesty and clean sheet regarding the new manager (regardless of who it is), the owners, the SMT, and the players.

Pretty sure the idea will get laughed at, but also think the constant vitriol ain't doing the club any good either

Good idea.
    New manager/head coach has remit of keeping Cafc in League 1. I know MA gone but his subs tonight were so bizarre.
    I can only speculate that he knew he had to win tonight and a draw wasn't good enough as why would you take Watson off who had a good game other than one bad pass in the 2nd half when attacking. We were always going to be hit at the back with a player less at the end.
    They were positives tonight but when over 50% of your own fans want to lose to get rid of a bad apple its difficult. 

Any one who thinks we are a better team without Dobson must watch a different game to me. 
  • N01R4M said:
    Foxycafc said:
    Good God, that statement must be one of the briefest announcements ever on the OS!
    And it was up quickly! I guess they had it all ready to go.
  • edited January 23
    Tayo and Watsons touch/passing was so bad. Lost count the amount of times both over/under cooked passes, or lost possession to a heavy touch which got Edun sent off. 
  • Glad he (Appleton) has gone as tactically really poor.
    New players ...Bakinson is shocking..can't mark, very few passes reach their targets, points at others from no man's land, can't tackle and basically no good. Can't see any redeeming features.
    Edun ....been critical but put in a shift and unfairly sent off.
    Fiorini...looks weak but maybe not fit
    Centre half's...Thomas should be ahead of them.
    Coventry.......some nice touches 
  • 1StevieG said:
    Tayo and Watsons touch/passing was so bad 
     Tayo had a 74% pass accuracy and mostly played forwards. 

Edun had 58% but put in more crosses. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Croydon said:
    I'm glad he's gone but these players have been getting a free pass. Absolutely shambolic performance from all of them bar May, none of those new players impress me at all. 
    But Bakinson’s mustard based on one okay 45 minutes against Peterborough, and it would be different if Aneke was fit
  • Did Appleton even have time to grab his stuff or was he just marched down to Charlton station? 
  • TT is statistically our best defender - didn’t start the game. 

May is a classic goal poacher - played him too wide. 

Someone tell TC to get rid of the ball with his first touch - don’t wait for a defender so you can try and beat him. 

Play Edun as a winger and get the CB’s to cover his run forward. 

It’s all basic stuff that Appleton failed to do as a “coach”
  • 1StevieG said:
    Tayo and Watsons touch/passing was so bad. Lost count the amount of times both over/under cooked passes, or lost possession to a heavy touch which got Edun sent off. 

Tayo is quite erratic with his passing but I thought both Full backs got forward tonight as wing backs should. I believe the pass from Watson in the 1st Half Kanu would have got too before the keeper but Ladapo doesn't look match fit. Freddie will get sharper. 
  • Did anyone else see May have a right go at AMB at the final whistle?
  • edited January 23
    Did Appleton even have time to grab his stuff or was he just marched down to Charlton station? 

Was thrown in the Thames mate, not far from the barrier. Strong tide tonight, last seen heading towards the North Sea. Was thrown a ring, and managed to grab it.
  • Dazzler21 said:
    1StevieG said:
    Tayo and Watsons touch/passing was so bad 
     Tayo had a 74% pass accuracy and mostly played forwards. 

Edun had 58% but put in more crosses. 
    74% accuracy in which half of the pitch? doesn’t mean shit if it doesn’t count when it matters. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited January 23
    Tonight was inevitable, the players need to take a long look at themselves, we can lambaste the manager all we want but they have to take responsibility. We’ve not been good enough for a long time, long before Appleton and Andy Scott.  Tired of the we want someone out every season, we’re a joke club. 
  • Was disappointed with new boys tonight. For example thought Ladapo was no better than Kanu.
    Barkinson looks slow and has a terrible first touch.
    Coventry seems he does not know where he is supposed to be. The others anonymous.
  • I think he brought on Fioroni because maybe he thought that Watson wouldn’t put a shift in for him. Last two games it’s crystal clear to see discontent between some players and MA.

should have been sacked on Saturday.

whole situation is bizarre.

I would like us to go for a manager in work who is doing well and sees Charlton as an ideal challenge. not a typical journeyman 

would avoid LB, JJ, CP 

do not drag them into this mess 
  • Ben18 said:
    imagine signing 2 players on loan from Man City in the same season, and them both being shite
    Puts into perspective just how fucked up their hoarding of players is. Signing up bang average players just so someone else can’t have them. Boils my piss 
  • edited January 23
    The new manager had better like 352. 

Last year we had easily the best wingers in the league. Now we've got an out of form Tyreece Campbell and an out on loan Dialang Jaiyesimi.

We're geared for two up top, wingbacks, and have defensive midfielders coming out of our ears.

It was right to sack Appleton, but we invested a hell of a lot in his players and his system before we did it.

• Not actually sure what to say. No wins in 10 and things are looking very bleak. We aren’t going to get any points if we concede three goals every game. 

Have to hope we will get enough points during that short period when Aneke is back on the pitch.
    That'll be all of 20 minutes?