Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clarke Harris Thread

Comments

• Options
    This reminds of the summer.
    We were linked with Nombe from Exeter. After a month or so Nombe decided that Rotherham were a better option than Charlton and we ended up with Alfie May.

Well Alfie May has turned out to be a far better signing than Nombe would have been, and in all probability if JCH doesn’t want to come, then I am sure Lapado or some other striker could make a similar impact to what Alfie has made.

I don't think you're remembering that quite right. Alfie May was trailed from the start of the window and signed on 7th July. Reports about our interest in Nombe came out around 27th July and he signed for Rotherham on 31st August. When all the Nombe fuss was happening on here it was excitement over the idea that May and Nombe would be paired together rather than getting one or the other
  • Options
    I do find it slightly confusing that it seems accepted JCH was happily returning to Bristol Rovers in the summer but in a matter of months he has so much interest that we cannot get the deal done. 

Surely Bristol were not offering more then 10k a week that our leaked sources are claiming we have offered. 
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    I do find it slightly confusing that it seems accepted JCH was happily returning to Bristol Rovers in the summer but in a matter of months he has so much interest that we cannot get the deal done. 

Surely Bristol were not offering more then 10k a week that our leaked sources are claiming we have offered. 
    January... the month of desperation in Football

Clubs have realised that the Striker options they had didnt work out, or have injuries to contend with... Managers too have come and gone.
  • Options
    Nicholas said:
    We will hold out for him like idiots, only for it to fall through. We will then get told Aneke is back now so it will be like a new signing. Aneke comes off the bench and makes an impact in his first 3 games back then starts a game, breaks down and were back to square one. Boring boring Charlton.
    It’s not a matter of holding out. We’ve made our offer and we can leave it on the table right up to the point that we sign someone else. Until both parties sign nothing is done. We withdraw our offer when Haaland signs. 
  • Options
    T said:
    This transfer screams summer move to Trabzenspor for ££££ for JCH.  I just cant see what we offer unless its silly money 
    Up top alongside Nicolas Pepe and Trezeguet?! I don't think so. I wonder what work permit regs are in Turkey. And also... this is a guy in the English third division. He wouldn't exactly be a marque signing.
  • Options
    edited January 9
    Nicholas said:
    We will hold out for him like idiots, only for it to fall through. We will then get told Aneke is back now so it will be like a new signing. Aneke comes off the bench and makes an impact in his first 3 games back then starts a game, breaks down and were back to square one. Boring boring Charlton.
    Nail on head, take note Andy S.
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:

It's not a case of him having so much interest though, it's a case of him (or more likely his agent) deciding to wait until the summer and see what offers are about.

He might get 1-2 offers from abroad and then maybe an offer from clubs like QPR and Sheff Weds (if relegated) and Wrexham if promoted and be quids in. Alternatively he might end up with an offer no better than we're offering now, or he might do his ACL and end up out for a year with fuck all.
  • Options
    We were linked with Nombe from Exeter. After a month or so Nombe decided that Rotherham were a better option than Charlton and we ended up with Alfie May.

Well Alfie May has turned out to be a far better signing than Nombe would have been, and in all probability if JCH doesn’t want to come, then I am sure Lapado or some other striker could make a similar impact to what Alfie has made.

I don't think you're remembering that quite right. Alfie May was trailed from the start of the window and signed on 7th July. Reports about our interest in Nombe came out around 27th July and he signed for Rotherham on 31st August. When all the Nombe fuss was happening on here it was excitement over the idea that May and Nombe would be paired together rather than getting one or the other

• Options
    If he is signing, there is a good chance it will be announced tomorrow I suspect.
  • Options

Garrymanilow. Agreed, You are correct.
    My memory has been clouded.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    https://youtu.be/m86LgFgPwxU?si=KXBBxDFTmvDj02rX

Rather than clog the rumours thread when we have a JCH thread, surprised I haven't seen someone post his 30+ goals yet. 

Solid penalty taker, good in the air and a target man in the box. Some qualities we have missed this season, particularly an aerial threat and the target man that the ball sticks with 
    he missed one against us at the New York a few seasons ago .. I was behind our goal stood up and waving hoping to put him off .. he smashed the ball over the bar missing me by literally a few inches/centimetres ?, THAT was a narrow escape for us and me in particular lol
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/m86LgFgPwxU?si=KXBBxDFTmvDj02rX

Rather than clog the rumours thread when we have a JCH thread, surprised I haven't seen someone post his 30+ goals yet. 

Solid penalty taker, good in the air and a target man in the box. Some qualities we have missed this season, particularly an aerial threat and the target man that the ball sticks with 
    he missed one against us at the New York a few seasons ago .. I was behind our goal stood up and waving hoping to put him off .. he smashed the ball over the bar missing me by literally a few inches/centimetres ?, THAT was a narrow escape for us and me in particular lol
    A few seasons ago? It was 2016 Lincs 😂 feels awfully long ago now. 

The day that Makienok played well for once and cupped his ears at us haha. 

We have a very good record against Rotherham, since I've been alive I've never seen them beat us, 4 wins and 4 draws.
  • Options
    Think he'd be the perfect foil for May in the 10, not panicking about it happening yet as it always felt one that would go down to the wire. I do think we've played our hand a bit too early though
  • Options
    edited January 10
    Peterborough forum seem to think he's staying and leaving on a free in the summer.

But whether they know any more than we do, no idea

They also think they are after Jake Young from Bradford as a replacement (not sure if now or in the summer).  Given their scouting is better than ours, should probably cut out the middle man and get him instead! 

I’ve never understood how Bristol Rovers and Peterborough are so much better at recruiting upcoming talent than us, particularly strikers.
  • Options
    Think JCH agent has done a marvellous job in using us as bait for a team like Wrexham to negotiate a deal for him???

Write him off, he is nothing special at the end of the day, would rather have a top player from league 2 who wants to play for the club, sadly very few and far between!
    Wrexham have never paid anywhere near £450k - £500k on a player so can’t see him going there.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think JCH agent has done a marvellous job in using us as bait for a team like Wrexham to negotiate a deal for him???

Write him off, he is nothing special at the end of the day, would rather have a top player from league 2 who wants to play for the club, sadly very few and far between!
    Wrexham can’t get anywhere near our offer to him 

You get worse with every post.
  • Options
    edited January 10

Wrexham have never paid anywhere near £450k - £500k on a player so can’t see him going there.

They won't need to if they sign him in the summer on a free. They are much more likely to be contending for automatic promotion than us next season if they are in League one.
  • Options
    JCH will go where he wants for the best possible signing on fee when he becomes a free agent ,hasn't worked out too bad for Lyle Taylor 
  • Options
    MrBurns said:

They won't need to if they sign him in the summer on a free. They are much more likely to be contending for automatic promotion than us next season if they are in League one.
    If he waits until the summer when he can go for nothing  he will get better offers than both Charlton and Wrexham 
  • Options
    edited January 10
    MrBurns said:

If he waits until the summer when he can go for nothing  he will get better offers than both Charlton and Wrexham 
    His agent will get more out of it. 

Not sure that JCH himself will get much better in terms of a weekly wage, not enough to be worth the risk of waiting six months and getting a long term injury for.

Picking some numbers out of my backside for offers, the assumption is he’s on about 6k p/w right now…

- If he took a 2.5 yr contract from us now on 8k p/w, he’d make just over £1m in salary (before tax) between now and summer 2026.
    - If he waits for a 2 yr contract in the summer on 9k p/w, he’d make about £70,000 less (before tax) over the same 2.5 yr period compared to taking the 8k p/w now.
  • Options
    MrBurns said:

His agent will get more out of it. 

Not sure that JCH himself will get much better in terms of a weekly wage, not enough to be worth the risk of waiting six months and getting a long term injury for.

Picking some numbers out of my backside for offers, the assumption is he’s on about 6k p/w right now…

- If he took a 2.5 yr contract from us now on 8k p/w, he’d make just over £1m in salary (before tax) between now and summer 2026.
    - If he waits for a 2 yr contract in the summer on 9k p/w, he’d make about £70,000 less (before tax) over the same 2.5 yr period compared to taking the 8k p/w now.
    If TransferMarkt is correct, its interesting that JCH, and one Man Utd lad are their only English based Clients

Majority of the Footballers under their "Portfolio" are based in the Middle East, wonder if he's hoping that type of option will come along - Naby Sarr for example (a player of a similar playing level) went out to Qatar in the summer
  • Options
    Posh are playing the game to get a bigger bid..would you really tell the world you had accepted a bid at this stage ??
  • Options
    edited January 10
    Peterborough want a fee. It would seriously piss them if he walks for nothing. I don’t think any hold up has anything to do with Posh at all. It’s JCH and his agent seeing if there’s something better. Why wouldn’t they. Still three weeks of window left and clubs priorities change by the week. An injury to a striker could bring other clubs into the picture. If I was JCH I’d wait as long as possible. 
  • Options
    my memory may be failing me but wasn’t the Ben Reeves transfer a bit like this - on / off fee and salary negotiations over many weeks and then late getting done?

In the end the signing wasn’t worth it. 

I suspect this player is of a similar ilk. 

Move on to other targets.  
  • Options
    my memory may be failing me but wasn’t the Ben Reeves transfer a bit like this - on / off fee and salary negotiations over many weeks and then late getting done?

In the end the signing wasn’t worth it. 

I suspect this player is of a similar ilk. 

Move on to other targets.  
    Spot on, think we spent more time talking about  his receding hairline than the football which also receded pretty quickly!