Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Clarke Harris Thread

Comments

• Options
    DubaiCAFC said:
    Listen to the latest Hard Truths podcast - sounds like JCH has no interest in joining us, and is leaving everything to his agent, and agent will not allow the player to speak to the club until wages have been agreed! 
    How does anyone apart from the agent and player know that the agent ‘Will not allow’ the player to speak?
    Could it just be the agent actually doing the leg work that the player has told, and is paying them to do?
  • Options
    Space at bottom of post alert Henry. Plays havoc with my OCD :-(
  • Options
    Too many toys being thrown out of the pram on this thread at the moment. There’s a negotiation dance going on, we make an offer, his agent says not enough. Isn’t that what both sides of the table are supposed to do, especially when there’s plenty of time in the window to haggle a bit more before either an agreeable figure is reached or one or both sides actually walk away ?
  • Options
    Too many toys being thrown out of the pram on this thread at the moment. There’s a negotiation dance going on, we make an offer, his agent says not enough. Isn’t that what both sides of the table are supposed to do, especially when there’s plenty of time in the window to haggle a bit more before either an agreeable figure is reached or one or both sides actually walk away ?
    I doubt that anyone involved in the actual negotiations will have thrown any toys anywhere yet - from Charlton's side we'll have said "you know what the offer is, let us know if you change your mind" and left it on the table.

However we should not be beholden to one player for our plans and we will have other targets - hence all the noise about Goodwin. The interest is genuine I'm sure but publicising it is a message to JCH that if he doesn't want our money then maybe someone else will.

I can certainly see why some fans are saying "take the deal away" but I don't think that will be the official policy unless/until we actually sign someone else.
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I worry that if JCH is not that bothered about coming to Charlton, even if we did sign him - he wouldn't be that bothered about putting in 100% on the park. 

Is it that he’s not bothered or is it that he’s letting his agent do his job ? Charlton clearly have problems judging by the results and performances we’ve been enduring and there’s clearly money to be spent so it would be a poor agent that isn’t trying to see if he can get a better deal than the one offered. 
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    I worry that if JCH is not that bothered about coming to Charlton, even if we did sign him - he wouldn't be that bothered about putting in 100% on the park. 
    Clarke-Harris isn’t in the first flush of youth but at 29 he’s not ancient in modern football terms. I’d guess that any contract he gets now or the summer will be a two year deal with maybe the possibility of a third year option. Footballers keep themselves very fit and at 29, although 30 by next season leaves him a good couple of seasons still very close to his peak. After that any contract would certainly be shorter and lower and importantly based on his next two years. Charlton are a struggling mid table third tier club that desperately needs a promotion. I think JCH would score goals and free up May to score as well. If he decides to take our shilling I’ll be delighted. Personally I can’t see it though. He’ll sit it out. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited January 17
    Would he improve our squad? 

Yes

Can we afford the fee?

Yes

Will we meet his wage demands?

No but either side might move before 1 February 

Could we invest the fee and wages better elsewhere?

Possibly.  Risk of failure is higher with younger, untried players but so are the potential rewards.

Should we pull the plug on the deal?

No, leave the offer on the table but actively pursue other options so we're not left empty handed in February. No need to put all our eggs in one basket.

That sounds right dandy Henry, but how long should we "leave it on the table"..this guy is just taking us for a ride, and us actively pursuing other targets could all flat when their agent gets wind of our apparent "first choice"...just give him a deadline and stick to it...
  • Options
    Oggy Red said:
    On the other hand, looking at it from his point of view Charlton are a midtable club, whose reputation isn't the greatest and get through managers fairly regularly (at present). 

If you're him, you're thinking that this could be your last "big" move... would you really be that enthused by the prospect? Probably not.

We're showing signs of MAYBE green shoots but it's far from definite. I don't blame him or his agent for wanting to check other options.
  • Options
    It’s obviously within their interest to say those things but the P’boro owner does seem to care about his players and tries to make sure they do what is best for them. If it is a case of of JCH being convinced to meet Scott and MA and he subsequently buys into ‘the project’ would people still be happy for him to sign? 
  • Options

Yes

Can we afford the fee?

Yes

Possibly.  Risk of failure is higher with younger, untried players but so are the potential rewards.

No, leave the offer on the table but actively pursue other options so we're not left empty handed in February. No need to put all our eggs in one basket.

That sounds right dandy Henry, but how long should we "leave it on the table"..this guy is just taking us for a ride, and us actively pursuing other targets could all flat when their agent gets wind of our apparent "first choice"...just give him a deadline and stick to it...
    ...effectively confirming to all parties that he is the first choice?
  • Options
    edited January 17
    Chizz said:

Yes

Can we afford the fee?

Yes

...effectively confirming to all parties that he is the first choice?
    Every club has a first choice, but how long do we just dance to his tune...end of Jan?...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    I don't think he is good enough for Peterbrough's first 11, which is worrying.

All this nonsense that he's not in the first team because of his contract running down... and yet he's had 17 appearances this season.

If he was that good still, he'd be starting for them in a promotion push season.

He's on the downslide, got a shitty attitude, and is looking for a last payday.

Avoid.
    Of course he's good enough for their first XI, the guy scored 57 goals for them in his last 2 league one seasons.

If he'd signed a contract he'd probably be starting every week but their policy is to always transfer list and try to sell players in the last year of their contract.

It's nothing to do with how good he is, it's MacAnthony making a stand that if you don't sign then we'll transfer list you, won't guarantee your starting place and we'll move on.
    Didn't marcus Maddison start games in his last year of contract? (Aside from the 6 months at Hull)

No he most certainly didn't. In fact, it is obvious that he was "frozen out" prior to both his moves to Hull and to us. Maddision played his last game for Peterborough as a sub on the 11th Jan. He was then left out of the squad for the next four games before he moved to Hull on 31st Jan. He didn't play another game of football for anyone between his last match of an undistinguished spell at Hull on 29th Feb and his first game for us on 3rd October.  

Perhaps we should have seen the signs then and it could be a case of twice bitten with JCH. Trouble is that we are so reliant on May and CBT for our goals (60% - 24 of the 40 we've scored in the League) he is exactly the type of player we need - and how many proven ones are there around of that ilk? It took us years to secure the services of someone like May let's face it. 
  • Options
    Barry Fry telling JCH he won't do better elsewhere
    Fry doesn't stick his head above the parapet very often these days
    Obvs he's got a vested interest cos he wants Posh to get the transfer fee but he's always played with a straight bat and there ain't much he hasn't seen or done in English lower league football JCH would be a mug to ignore BF
    Charlton shouldn't overdo the brinkmanship
    The current lack of strikers and the current desperately bad form mean we're racing to the relegation zone if our attacking force isn't expanded and improved
    An extra £25k or even £50k wages above what CAFC is totally comfortable with between now and season's end is a fraction of the financial devastation that relegation will wreak 
    If Charlton up the offer closer to what he thinks he's worth, he helps keep us up, he'll still be a marketable commodity in the summer if we then need to offload him to better balance the books.  He has to be a much smaller footballing risk than younger alternatives.  He has form over course and distance.
    You'd have to think that CAFC has checked with Alfie how good Goodwin is but that Goodwin bid story has to be a nudge to JCH 'you're not the only option'.
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Obvs he's got a vested interest cos he wants Posh to get the transfer fee but he's always played with a straight bat and there ain't much he hasn't seen or done in English lower league football JCH would be a mug to ignore BF
    The current lack of strikers and the current desperately bad form mean we're racing to the relegation zone if our attacking force isn't expanded and improved
    An extra £25k or even £50k wages above what CAFC is totally comfortable with between now and season's end is a fraction of the financial devastation that relegation will wreak 
    If Charlton up the offer closer to what he thinks he's worth, he helps keep us up, he'll still be a marketable commodity in the summer if we then need to offload him to better balance the books.  He has to be a much smaller footballing risk than younger alternatives.  He has form over course and distance.
    You'd have to think that CAFC has checked with Alfie how good Goodwin is but that Goodwin bid story has to be a nudge to JCH 'you're not the only option'.
    Silly comment really, as Fry would've probably been better off saying nothing.

If i was JCH hearing that i'd be even more determined to see out my contract and leave for nothing.
  • Options
    edited January 17
    Maybe The Saudi League would be a huge attraction to him in the summer, good fit for a player of his age and calibre.
  • Options
    edited January 17
    Yes, thank you. 

This is a lower league footballer attempting to cash in one last time in his career after having a great record in League One. 

I also think this happens a lot more than we think in football, it's just that this one has been quite public, in part because Boro are publicly putting pressure on him to take the deal.

As far as "him not wanting to be here" or "him not trying" do you think that all the players we sign join us because they grew up in the Covered End? Or that they only play well if they think they're on a poor deal? Of course not, they come here because we offer the best terms, be that purely in terms of money or in terms of playing time and growth. And when they play well it's because they're professionals.

I don't know how to say this but when players give their first interview with the club and they say "it's a massive club and I can't wait to play here"...well they might not always mean it. And that's fine. JCH was 13 when we were relegated from the Prem. Coventry was 7. The era of players thinking of us as a Prem club who just happens to be in the lower leagues has come and gone. 

I think the club has endeared itself to a lot of players down the years, and that's something we should be proud of. But I don't think our reputation precedes us (at least not in a good way under recent ownership) like it may have in the past.

Once again, this is all very common, footballers play for money just like many of us work for the company that pays us the best. It's what they do here that matters. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    JamesSeed said:
    Space at bottom of post alert Henry. Plays havoc with my OCD :-(
    I noticed 

that too.

Aaaaaaaaaaagh 😱😱
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    he absolutely won't if he's sitting here on a 3 year deal picking up between 10-15k @ week.

if others won't touch him now, why on earth would they in the summer

we've been bitten too many times with stupid contracts, stand our ground and swiftly move on
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    he absolutely won't if he's sitting here on a 3 year deal picking up between 10-15k @ week.

if others won't touch him now, why on earth would they in the summer

we've been bitten too many times with stupid contracts, stand our ground and swiftly move on
    Because they won’t have to stump up £500k to get him. That’s why.
  • Options
    so we're gonna sign him for £500k now and give him away in the summer to balance the books??
  • Options
    Why would we give him away? Unless he signs a 6 month contract, which I’m sure he won’t.
  • Options
    Maybe The Saudi League would be a huge attraction to him in the summer, good fit for a player of his age and calibre.

I very much doubt they would want him tbh. Getting in Brozovic, Firmino, Neymar etc is one thing, Jonson Clarke-who…?
  • Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Yeah give him 15k pw, the rest of our players won't mind that I'm sure... 
  • Options
    We should offer him a £500k signing on fee, if he agrees to sign for us in the Summer on a free. 

And then make an offer to Peterborough to take him on loan for the rest of the season. 
  • Options
    Chizz said:
    We should offer him a £500k signing on fee, if he agrees to sign for us in the Summer on a free. 

And then make an offer to Peterborough to take him on loan for the rest of the season. 
    500k signing on fee would be insane for a 30yo League One player 
  • Options
    so we're gonna sign him for £500k now and give him away in the summer to balance the books??
    Think we might be at crossed purposes here. Quite a few clubs might be interested in his signature but aren’t prepared to pay £500k plus what appears to be pretty steep wage demands. Take the £500k out of the equation and it might bring other clubs both here and abroad into play. If we do sign him I’d guess it would be a two year deal. That’s quite a financial commitment.