Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

England Cricket 2024

Comments

• Alo I don't think Atkinson despite his pace is good enough. 
    Again I say this as a Surrey fan.

Hopefully both will prove me wrong 
  • Awful pace attack on paper.
  • England's Team for the 1st Test and Jimmy's last one:

Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jamie Smith (wk), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Shoaib Bashir, James Anderson.
    I think Pope is very lucky to keep his place and I say that as one of his biggest fans. 
    He definitely needs runs in the first couple of tests that's for sure. 
    Agree. But this Setup like to stick with their players

Atkinson even more lucky.

Zak Crawley, Ben Duckett, Ollie Pope, Joe Root, Harry Brook, Ben Stokes (c), Jamie Smith (wk), Chris Woakes, Gus Atkinson, Shoaib Bashir, James Anderson.
    I think Pope is very lucky to keep his place and I say that as one of his biggest fans. 
    Agree. But this Setup like to stick with their players

Atkinson even more lucky.
    I think the last century Pope scored was in the first Test in India. 
    Since then he's been bang average at best.
    He's not even the best batsman at Surrey this summer let alone England. 
    Hopefully he will prove the selecters right by keeping faith with him. 
    It'll be awkward when Anderson takes 7-56 and 8-45 when everyone else is carted around  :D
    It'll be awkward when Anderson takes 7-56 and 8-45 when everyone else is carted around  :D
    And top scores in both innings
  • I watched that & couldn't believe the coverage. Auful. Went to adverts during overs & missed a wicket because of it. Then the "ball counter" got stuck half way through an over....next thing you know we are into the next over missing the first ball. Weird all round. 

And when did O'Brien of Ireland qualify to play for England. He was even wearing green cricket boots ffs !

Am sad to say it but think Crawley is very lucky to keep his place - apart from a double hundred for Kent, he's been absolutely woeful this season.
    What do people, especially the Surrey fans, think about Smith not Foakes?
  • It's been a very odd international summer because of the World T20, if it wasn't for Jimmy's retirement then tomorrow's Test match would be a complete non event in terms of public interest. 
  • More evidence of how the non Test/Hundred hosting counties are being squeezed. And unlike Kent, they actually were given one of the women's tier one accreditations  

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/john-stephenson-steps-down-as-essex-chief-executive-in-cost-cutting-move-1442638
  • Sponsored links:

• More evidence of how the non Test/Hundred hosting counties are being squeezed. And unlike Kent, they actually were given one of the women's tier one accreditations  

https://www.espncricinfo.com/story/john-stephenson-steps-down-as-essex-chief-executive-in-cost-cutting-move-1442638
    Shocking/unfair difference between the Test/Hundred hosting counties and the rest

Am sad to say it but think Crawley is very lucky to keep his place - apart from a double hundred for Kent, he's been absolutely woeful this season.
    On current form I'd play both Smith as a batsman and Foakes as wicket keeper and drop Pope. 
    Only problem there would be convincing Root to play at 3.

I would think Crawley would feel very unlucky were he to be dropped for this match.  He's scored more runs for England in Tests than any other player this year.  And over the last year.  And over the last two years.  

(And he just scrapes in the top XI of England Test run scorers under the post-Blair Tories!) 
  • We're going Thursday.
    Atm it looks like it will be the only rain less day.
  • We're going Thursday.
    Atm it looks like it will be the only rain less day.
    Where are you sitting? 
  • Got tickets for Friday. Hoping to watch England bat most of the day and let Jimmy loose for an hour or so before the close.

Going to the Friday & Saturday at Trent Bridge the following week with Thursday starter at Chelmsford for the blast. After that weekend it will just be Derbyshire & Durham to go to complete the lot! Then the real fun of the out grounds start! Although that's getting increasingly hard to do.
  • We're in the lower tier of the Edrich Stand (perhaps first time).
  • I'm in the Upper Edrich on Thursday. Desperately hoping, like everyone else, to see Jimmy bowl!
  • we've been spoilt for years with super pace bowling, Anderson, Broad, Finn, Plunkett etc.. alas now the cupboard is rather bare, especially as Archer seems reluctant to play test cricket
  • weather forecast not looking very good 
  • Sponsored links:

• We got Saturday tickets originally in Edrich upper. Then got Friday tickets post Jimmy announcement to widen our chances. Again Edrich upper. 
    Then I got Sunday grandstand tickets. 
    Looking forward to 3 days watching rainfall followed by frustrating pitch inspections. 
  • England bat first, and after 5 days of rain affected play reach 756-5 when play is abandoned.
  • We're in the Mound Stand on Thursday, weather forecast is looking reasonably good.

(Disclaimer: I've had washouts on three of my previous visits to Lords.  Just hope I get to see a full days play for once!)

Should be Ollie Robinson but Smith over Foakes is the right call. As good as Foakes keeping is his batting has been on a downward trajectory for a few years now and it is at the point where it rightly affects his selection. Time to move on.
  • Boo, England bowling today. I don't want to spend tomorrow watching England bat!
  • Boo, England bowling today. I don't want to spend tomorrow watching England bat!
    don't worry, it won't be all day - and I don't just mean due to the weather
  • Yeah, he's still England's best bowler, and it isn't close
    The Windies might still be batting at this rate!
  • Thank goodness they changed the bowling.  This youngster looks a lot more dangerous than that old fella he replaced.
  • edited July 10
    Just mentioned on comms about hurricane Beryl and the damage done to Carriacou in Grenada and Union Island in St Vincent and the Grenadines. I'd also like to highlight the island of Mayreau which is one of the smallest inhabited islands in the Caribbean. We went there when sailing in the Caribbean in November/December and spend a couple nights in the area. Salt Whistle Bay is literal paradise on earth and the community on Mayreau is an incredibly tight knit community of a couple hundred people. They share a few cars and a couple of golf carts to get around the island but mostly walk everywhere. There is one "policeman" on the island. When we first arrived we swam ashore and were instantly welcomed like old friends and invited to drink some rum punch with the locals. Safe to say we had too many and made some friends. They kindly rowed us back to our boat as it was too dark and we were too drunk to swim back! Every home on the island sustained damage and many many boats (relied on for fishing as food and income) were destroyed. It took more than 2 days to restore communication with the island and they re still mostly without power. They have a huge amount of work to do to rebuild their lives. 

More on the impact here.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/article/2024/jul/06/hurricane-beryl-aid-caribbean-david-lammy

The area is also home of Tobago Cays turtle sanctuary and some of the most important coral restoration work in the Caribbean. These are both run by local volunteers without whom these protected areas and conservation work will end. 

We also spent some time in Bequia, and St Vincent main island both of which were hit to a lesser extent. Again beautiful natural places, incredible people who are all so tight-knit since the volcano erupted a couple of years ago causing a third of the island to be evacuated. 

If you are able there is a fund raising effort going on here: https://www.wfp.org/support-us/stories/hurricane-beryl?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=21440094664&utm_content=165201545898&gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw4ri0BhAvEiwA8oo6Fxgx0OBHbC9N3EBXRayoTS3LNkRxukER0EG6pemBQP3U7saN2gfj7BoCeUcQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Hurricane Beryl is the earliest a warm air hurricane has developed in the Caribbean, the furthest south, and the quickest upgraded hurricane in history. Its directly attributable to climate change and warmer sea temperatures. Please take climate change seriously.