Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Appleton ear cup

Comments

• Swisdom said:
    Appleton has lost the fans.  It started a few weeks ago when he was arguing with them and it’s just getting worse.  Incredibly hard to see him winning the fans back over.

It’s going to be extremely hard for him to do so. Ultimately results will determine his fate but I’m confident when he does eventually go, whenever it is, we will still be stuck in League One.
  • Scoham said:
    He thinks he’s proper hard. Helmet.
    Say that to his face.

Normal stance on the touchline, or hands in pocket.
    This photo tells u all u need to know about the size of this man’s brain 
  • I don't have a problem with it if he did....if fans give it we have to accept it when players/ managers give it back.

I imagine if I was failing at work and getting told how bad i was etc I'd react.   I quite like it when people give it back in this uber sanistised sterile football environment that we edge ever closer too.

Still think he's a poor manager but have the camel with him over his subs and results rather than a bit of pantomime stuff giving it back to fans who've given it to 

Bowyer did it one of first games back with fans in after lockdown when we lost to MK Dons and complained about the atmosphere after a terrible performance. It was a terrible time to do it, because of when it happened just after lockdown when fans were just happy to be in the ground again and because of the result. As a result a lot of fans began to question him, when at the time he was fully supported by the vast majority.

It just never really works taking it out on your own fans. Just in same way that if you work in a service industry, slagging off customers or heavily arguing with them, is just something you can't do rightly or wrongly.

The only people who can slightly get away with it are the likes of guardiola etc, because they are winning every week pretty much, so people turn a blind eye. When you're on a terrible run in the 3rd tier, it makes you look like you're looking for excuses and someone else to blame.
  • He cupped his ear so what.Is that a sackable offence or have those 11 players let him and us fans down again? They are to blame no one else.
     Nonsense. The players are not responsible for poor recruitment, tactics, substitutions. Pick holes in their performance if you like but management has overall responsibility. Or what’s the point of it?
    Once the players cross the white line it is their responsibility.I agree the recruitment is awful but how is that Appletons fault? When we went on a good run when he had the majority of our best starting 11 fans were creaming their pants saying wow this squad can go places.

Take out the majority of the starting 11 and we're left with the bare bones and under 19's.How could any manager work under that? Many fans say dont give Appleton the chance to recruit players in the window but give him the chance to as we know deep down how good we are when everyone is fit.Give him this window and if he fails then yes get rid.

But i still feel the players have let us fans down badly.
  • Sponsored links:

• I think "ear-cupping" was unwise  but he's human and  being goaded.
  • Look, we are all slagging him off, no problem with him reacting. I'd rather criticise his tactics.
    exactly
  • So, just so I get this right for next time I’m down the Valley - and know where to aim my boos at. He 100% cupped his ears at the fans right?
  • Maybe we’re all being a little harsh and his hearing just isn't  as good as we all thought. 
    He might’ve just wanted to be able to soak up the atmosphere the same as everyone else in there. 
    Give the guy a chance, sheesh…

• I’m led to believe it can be a bit painful 
  • Appleton is not new to football, he knows what the culture is like, he is someone likely very well paid compared to most of us to be the custodian on the pitch of our team, if he is that over sensitive maybe he should find someplace else to work but I doubt he would get many takers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Disgusting the way he walked off. Those above should look at the disrespect he has for the Charlton faithful. He showed it as he walked off. 
    I think he knows he’s not wanted. 
    The board need to show some leadership and get rid of him. 
  • If we lose to Port vale on Saturday, I think that will be the final nail for him. Surely ? 
  • edited January 2
    Just wondering if the accusations are true about the cupping of the ears from Mr Apples, whether he did not hear said fans booing properly, and whether the fans need to do it louder next time.
  • He cupped his ear so what.Is that a sackable offence or have those 11 players let him and us fans down again? They are to blame no one else.
     Nonsense. The players are not responsible for poor recruitment, tactics, substitutions. Pick holes in their performance if you like but management has overall responsibility. Or what’s the point of it?
    Once the players cross the white line it is their responsibility.I agree the recruitment is awful but how is that Appletons fault? When we went on a good run when he had the majority of our best starting 11 fans were creaming their pants saying wow this squad can go places.

Take out the majority of the starting 11 and we're left with the bare bones and under 19's.How could any manager work under that? Many fans say dont give Appleton the chance to recruit players in the window but give him the chance to as we know deep down how good we are when everyone is fit.Give him this window and if he fails then yes get rid.

But i still feel the players have let us fans down badly.
    A decent manager would work with what he has got, proper training, better organisation.Realise that Fraser can’t take a free kick or corner and change it.

Play a  different formation if the one he has continually used fails, it’s not rocket science it’s called managing.

The blokes a fraud continuing to take a salary and change nothing, that’s not managing the assets it’s ignorance.
    Its a depleated squad at the moment and he can only use what he has.I didnt realise CBT was playing yesterday until he got taken off.i suppose that was Appletons fault he had a stinker.And it was great seeing Appleton trying to block the cross for their 1st goal and the way he closed down the the guy who scored a great goal.

He was tacticly spot on when we went on a great unbeaten run when he had a full team to pick from.I guess its his fault Miles is out for the season and Chuks amd Camara are out and McGrandles Isted and Taylor are out.I hope he gets given a chance in the January window to sign some decent players and get one or 2 back fully fit.We can only hope.

I still think the players have let us down badly.
    Oxford had loads of players out too.