Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Appleton ear cup

Comments

• i'm pretty sure he did cup his ear - at least he's listening - i noticed he wasn't wearing his oversized shiny clown boots today as well  
  • blokes a dreadful manager 
  • I didn’t see the ‘incident’ of the cupping of the ears, seems a bit unprofessional I'm more concerned with the fact his substitutions are ridiculously late, and why we seem to implode in the last 10 minutes, and what we can do about it?
  • I didn’t see the ‘incident’ of the cupping of the ears, seems a bit unprofessional I'm more concerned with the fact his substitutions are ridiculously late, and why we seem to implode in the last 10 minutes, and what we can do about it?
    agreed but if this accelerates his departure, it can only be a good thing - i'm sure he's looking for the sack - his decisions are so unbelievably bad, he must be  
  • He's completely lost the fanbase regardless.
  • I don't have a problem with it if he did....if fans give it we have to accept it when players/ managers give it back.

I imagine if I was failing at work and getting told how bad i was etc I'd react.   I quite like it when people give it back in this uber sanistised sterile football environment that we edge ever closer too.

Still think he's a poor manager but have the camel with him over his subs and results rather than a bit of pantomime stuff giving it back to fans who've given it to him.

Surely this is the equivalent of giving it back after you've just strolled in an hour late though.
  • I don't have a problem with it if he did....if fans give it we have to accept it when players/ managers give it back.

I imagine if I was failing at work and getting told how bad i was etc I'd react.   I quite like it when people give it back in this uber sanistised sterile football environment that we edge ever closer too.

Still think he's a poor manager but have the camel with him over his subs and results rather than a bit of pantomime stuff giving it back to fans who've given it to him.

you give it back when you win. This idiot Appleton cant get anything right
  • Sponsored links:

• I saw it and he pulled his hat down over his ears. However he turned his head and pulled one side at a time, which at the time I thought was him mocking the fans and pretending he couldn’t hear them. Might be reading too much into it but that was my initial reaction.
  • If he did do it, and it’s not clear if he did, but if he did, then it’s the beginning of the end. You don’t piss off your biggest stakeholder.
    And then we get that car crash of an interview with the individual asking the questions having a pop at the fans 
  • There were only a few players who came round for the fans who stayed to clap them off. Dobbo, Hector, I think T Watson, only about 5 or 6. Appleton did not come via the cirbishley stand and if he had he would have been booed all the way off the pitch. 
    This.

I would want to see photographic proof of the "ear cupping" before castigating him further but I stayed after the whistle  principally to give him a few words & boos but he didn't come anywhere near the AC stand. Dobbo gave his shirt to a fan in the Family section but I'm told he regularly does this so not trying to read anything into THAT.
  • Scoham said:
    He thinks he’s proper hard. Helmet.
    Say that to his face.

Normal stance on the touchline, or hands in pocket.
  • Sponsored links:

• From the minute he arrived, I’ve never known a manager to make such little effort to try to form a connection with the fans, or immerse himself into being a part of ‘the club’. 

It might not be a big thing, but I’m fairly sure a bit more leeway would have been given at the start of this poor run if he’d made a little effort to connect with the supporters. 

If he’s now sarcastically cupping ears to fans, then I’ve no idea what positive he reckon he could get from that. 

Can’t work the bloke out 
    Spot on with this. Even in his interviews you can tell there’s an arrogance and disregard for fans and our opinions. 

Appleton mate, if you were any good you wouldn’t be a failed journeyman manager in the third and fourth tier of English football.
    He was the same at Lincoln.
  • edited January 1
    From the minute he arrived, I’ve never known a manager to make such little effort to try to form a connection with the fans, or immerse himself into being a part of ‘the club’. 

It might not be a big thing, but I’m fairly sure a bit more leeway would have been given at the start of this poor run if he’d made a little effort to connect with the supporters. 

If he’s now sarcastically cupping ears to fans, then I’ve no idea what positive he reckon he could get from that. 

Can’t work the bloke out 
    Some people still want Holden back because he was a “good bloke” so I don’t think being a bit more likeable would do Appleton any harm. He just seems to be one of those needlessly prickly, humourless blokes.

I don't mind the argument that players/managers should be able to give it back to fans once in a while but, as you say, there’s absolutely nothing to be achieved by doing it to your home fans after a 4th straight defeat in an atmosphere that is already turning against you. It’s just a short cut to turning more fans against you, heaps pressure on, and just makes your sacking more likely. 

This in spades.
    I'm certain he's been f***** over by Scott and gang and he's now taking the approach of "f*** you".
  • Also why’s he wearing a childs t shirt?
  • sam3110 said:
    Nope he was pulling his hat down over his ears, but people will read way too much into everything he does
    Why was he pulling his hat down just to walk in the tunnel to then take it off…🤔