Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

POST-MATCH THREAD: Bristol Rovers vs Charlton Athletic: Friday 29th December 2023 | KO 19:45

Comments

• Billy_Mix said:
    LouisMend said:
    Apples got one thing right !
    we don’t like being pissed on then told it’s raining 
    condescending  tosser 
    If Andy Scott ain’t currently throwing all apples shit in to the car park and instructing the lawyer to dismiss him for gross misconduct then Scott has to be next for  the P45
    thieving shite
    I'd rather Appleton went after Scott.
  • Valley11 said:
    I keep seeing that injuries are bad. Are they? 
    Aneke and Leaburn yes but we’ve got the leagues top scorer and Tedic. Plus the leagues best left winger. No first choice defenders injured and aside from Fraser who has been crap, no midfielders injured
    Agree with this, however you could say camara. If you can remember him 
  • Appleton surely can't be to blame for letting in a 94th minute goal?! Perhaps the Sparrows Lane cook for frying the vegetables instead of steaming them. The blame thread goes on...

Appleton can manage at this level. But when he loses arguably our best player ~ Leaburn, and his replacement is out injured (Aneke) also ~ we are going to struggle. And we have. It's that simple. Fit again Leaburn = Charlton climb the table. He isn't just a great player. He's the DNA of this football club. And in an age where "identity" is a huge problem ~ Leaburn gives us that connection to previous era. May has had a great season but I think a lot of that greatness came when CBT and Leaburn provided excellent assists or were good foils for him. Clubs now cut off the supply line to May easily or our supply line is out injured and points are a lot harder to come by. 

I think, with Kanu, we can see that scoring 40 goals for the under 21s means nothing when you step into the man's game. He is completely NOT READY. 

Give Appleton and the lads a break. Support them over this coming week. Expect nothing from the next few games and you may just be pleasantly surprised. 

I guarantee when Leaburn is back ~ the points will be back. He brings e v e r y t h I n g. My main worry is he may not be back this season. In which case the board really have to bring in a big front man. 

And a revisit to awarding the captaincy should be done ASAP I've never seen how Anita was ever selected as a captain. The least likely candidate out on the pitch. There is no way he is a leader of men. Change needed there. Fit again Leaburn and we aren't that far away from a playoff berth. Some great players in this squad and def good enough for promotion. 

Coya!!!

Leaburn is out for the season.
  • edited December 2023
    Had to have a break after the match. Watched Slow Horses.

Pathetic the way we conceded the second. We went to sleep. No urgency, players strolling around while Rovers took the free kick. No sense of urgency, no manager on the touchline bellowing at the players to wake up, no organising of the defence.
    And we started brightly, and had a couple of very good spells in the second half. CBT should have at least got his shot on target when clear, and Kanu’s touch, after neatly turning his man, was diabolical. 
    A 2-1 defeat snatched from the jaws of a morale boosting 1-1. 
  • edited December 2023
    Appleton surely can't be to blame for letting in a 94th minute goal?! Perhaps the Sparrows Lane cook for frying the vegetables instead of steaming them. The blame thread goes on...

Appleton can manage at this level. But when he loses arguably our best player ~ Leaburn, and his replacement is out injured (Aneke) also ~ we are going to struggle. And we have. It's that simple. Fit again Leaburn = Charlton climb the table. He isn't just a great player. He's the DNA of this football club. And in an age where "identity" is a huge problem ~ Leaburn gives us that connection to previous era. May has had a great season but I think a lot of that greatness came when CBT and Leaburn provided excellent assists or were good foils for him. Clubs now cut off the supply line to May easily or our supply line is out injured and points are a lot harder to come by. 

I think, with Kanu, we can see that scoring 40 goals for the under 21s means nothing when you step into the man's game. He is completely NOT READY. 

Give Appleton and the lads a break. Support them over this coming week. Expect nothing from the next few games and you may just be pleasantly surprised. 

I guarantee when Leaburn is back ~ the points will be back. He brings e v e r y t h I n g. My main worry is he may not be back this season. In which case the board really have to bring in a big front man. 

And a revisit to awarding the captaincy should be done ASAP I've never seen how Anita was ever selected as a captain. The least likely candidate out on the pitch. There is no way he is a leader of men. Change needed there. Fit again Leaburn and we aren't that far away from a playoff berth. Some great players in this squad and def good enough for promotion. 

Coya!!!

Expect nothing from the next few games and you may just be pleasantly

and there you have the very essence of the problem. We’re Charlton in the third division and this is the supposed expectation level

loser weak mentality … like the players and manager 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    Bristol Rovers fan's take on us this eve:

• DOUCHER said:
    If we played may and tedic up top and switched to a 3 5 2, i am convinced u would see an upturn in results - apples is making a bad situation worse by sticking to his shit formation - that is squarely on him - there are other things that convince me he's a dud but for that alone, he should be sacked - he's killed our season. Scott needs to do the deed now.  
    We actually played three at the back earlier in the season Doucher, Holden played that formation and eventually his insistence on playing it added to the reasons for his dismissal. That said you now have two fit fullbacks/wingbacks which Holden didn't have, it still wouldn't have stopped Corey Blackett Taylor standing looking a free kick being taken when he should have stood in front of it. 
  • Bailey said:
    DOUCHER said:
    If we played may and tedic up top and switched to a 3 5 2, i am convinced u would see an upturn in results - apples is making a bad situation worse by sticking to his shit formation - that is squarely on him - there are other things that convince me he's a dud but for that alone, he should be sacked - he's killed our season. Scott needs to do the deed now.  
    We actually played three at the back earlier in the season Doucher, Holden played that formation and eventually his insistence on playing it added to the reasons for his dismissal. That said you now have two fit fullbacks/wingbacks which Holden didn't have, it still wouldn't have stopped Corey Blackett Taylor standing looking a free kick being taken when he should have stood in front of it. 
    Holden never had a striker to partner May, which was his plan all along. He also switched to 4 at the back after the first 2 games because he didn’t have a striker to join May 
  • Valley11 said:
    I keep seeing that injuries are bad. Are they? 
    Aneke and Leaburn yes but we’ve got the leagues top scorer and Tedic. Plus the leagues best left winger. No first choice defenders injured and aside from Fraser who has been crap, no midfielders injured
    Taylor, Camara McGrandles or are they goalkeepers silly bollocks 
  • lonman said:
    lonman said:
    Was at the game, I’m not usually one to call for the manager out so soon but genuinely we’ve declined in my eyes. 

We’ve got no real style of play it’s on the deck then lobbed forward to CBT who is hit and miss at best. Going forward we barely look like a threat and you’ve got our best player playing on the right when he’s a natural striker. 

If your going to get rid do it now and replace him quickly with someone for January and build, personally I wouldn’t want to give MA the window I just don’t seem him taking us forward tactically we look shocking.
    You actually think Appleton is the problem. Have a look at his boss
    He’s not the only problem but we don’t seem to have gained any sort of identity to the way we play under him. Even now I’m not sure what style he really wants to play.

We also need some leaders a few older heads who have been round the block and can take a game by the scruff, as much as I love Dobbo he’s not the right captain for us but currently he’s the best of the bunch.

Who appointed Appleton saying he was the standout appointment, excelled on the grass and really knew how to bring youth players through ?  Who's in charge of the signings ? 
    I still think the only criteria in our recruitment process is to maximise the "Introduction fee" that is invoiced to the club. A regular fee twice a season would be a very nice earner. 
    A bit of spin to the owners and off we go again.
    Eventually the owners will wake up but by then it's job done thank you very much.
  • edited December 2023
  • We are far too predictable in our attacks and teams know how to mitigate them (mark CBT out and job done). Then we play our best asset out of position. It is clear the players don't agree with the formation or plan as they show little confidence or desire hence the shit show in added time.

Need to go back to basics, make us hard to beat first then try to score some goals....

Suspect the calls for apples head will start on Monday......but he looks defeated here which is no good.
  • Sponsored links:

• Didn't watch or follow at all tonight.

Issue is, who would sack Apples?  Scott I assume is the man in charge of that but if he did so he would be admitting having totally cocked up the appointment so soon.  Not a good look for him so no incentive for him to do so.

Apples minus Leaburn/Aneke points per game v Holden's must now be about on par I reckon.  Yet Apple's has many other players at his disposal than Holden did.

For me Holden was limited but likeable.  Apples is just as limited and not very likeable.  We should have stayed with Holden and backed him, or at least held onto him until someone of real ability became available.

Manager is such a key appointment and once again the people in charge of our club have got it wrong.  Is it always the managers fault? No, but look where all our ex ones go... Downhill, why.. because they are all shite.
    Managers of ability will not come to us under the present structure.
    If the rumours are true of the relationship between Scott and Appleton being uneasy, I'd not be surprised if Appleton has thought "fuck this" and 'playing' for a sacking.
  • PWR

Has he been sacked yet? If not, WHY?
  • Just watched the highlights. I see our two full backs both at fault for the first, Tenai Watson dangling a leg and Edun allowing his player to run in front for the finish.

Then CBT for the second time in a couple of days playing a large part in the losing goal by simply refusing all defensive responsibility and just strolling along uninterested instead of standing on the free kick and stopping it being taken.  He seriously needs to buck up his defensive awareness and strength if he is not to put a lower ceiling on his career than his natural talents would otherwise give him.
  • NabySarr said:

Alfie May’s heatmap tonight. Appleton has to go 
    Opposition teams have sussed out how to counter May in this formation. Keep him away from the box, and instead doing the slog up and down the touchline as if he was Jonny Robinson.
  • edited December 2023
    So 3 points out of 15 this month, when at least 3 of those were games you'd expect to win as a promotion seeking club. Plus dumped out of the FA Cup by Gillingham (and the EFL Trophy by Reading).  It's all gone horribly wrong this month.
    Looking at the latest form guide over the past 5 matches only 2 teams have a worse points return than us......the bottom 2. And they have 2 points over the last 5 games. 

There are 3 other teams with the same (3) point return. I know I have said this a few times lately but we are slowly being dragged into a relegation battle. We were lucky tonight that 3rd & 4th bottom played each other and drew.....at one point when Cheltenham were 2 nil up on Reading we were 7 points off relegation. If we lose on NYD and then lose against Port Vale the following Sat we could well find ourselves just 4 or 5 points off the relegation places. One thing that will help us is our GD - of the teams below us only Wigan have a better GD than us, with most teams close to double digit negative GD. That alone is worth a point......and may intimately save us come May.