Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager?

Comments

• Options
    Any new manager would be dictated to by Andy Scott and therein lays the problem with appointing anyone.
    100%
  • Options
    Mr Blobby would do a better job.
  • Options
    I give up another late goal…..
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Assuming MA gets booted out soon, I'd be looking outside the usual League One faces.

How about Steve Bould? (currently Igor's manager at Lommel). 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
  • Options
    Need new ideas - the "been there and done it" of the League One merry-go-round has been an absolute failure since Adkins.

Should have stuck with Jackson, or need to find someone similar... Where are the comments saying that Dave Challinor would be a bad choice given the poor run of form Stockport were on, I could do with a good laugh

Need someone young with fresh ideas and knows what success looks like, let them make mistakes - If it takes a bit longer to get out of League One (the right way) as a result then so be it... It took Curbs how many years to get from Division One to the Premier League as a result?

Never really wanted Appleton, but god we need to pissing well stop with replacing Managers every few months... THAT is one reason why we cant attract anyone better, why would you go somewhere when there is zero assurance you'll last five minutes, compared to the last however many Managers have shown up.

Who on here would seriously accept a Permanent job role somewhere, knowing the role they're going into, has such a turnover (and not at the fault of the person in the role in the first place).
    I think the risk with Appleton is/was that he is not a character to win the fans over - in fact, he is not a character full stop. I believe the kids would say he is an NPC.

Almost inevitable that when things go wrong under him - which they would because let's face it he is mediocre at best - the fans would get irate.

In fact in terms of idiotic appointments, it's up there with Roland appointing Fraeye.

I agree, we need someone young & with fresh ideas or a recent player with a lot of goodwill in the bank. The trouble is most of our recent players are by & large rubbish - so there isn't really a Chris Powell-like figure waiting in the wings.

Who was the last player - the fans unanimously loved.  Jackson? Kermorgant?
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited December 2023
    Or… we can sack Appleton now and appoint the Cowleys who will themselves last less than a year and on it goes.

Duff isn’t going to be interested. Neil won’t be interested, nor will Rowett.
  • Options
    Valley11 said:
    If we’d stuck with Jackson I’m convinced wed be at least top six by now
    Forget transfers this January, pay Appleton off and get Alex Neil or Rowett in. 
    The moment the owners prove they are willing to spend someone of that calibre will take the job. You pay for quality you get quality. Still think Appleton will see out the season, unless we are dragged into a relegation battle which is very unlikely. The odd win and finishing 12th will probably keep him in a job IMO.
  • Options
    This squad needs a lot of work and this pertiod until the end of the season is important. Look at the decisions Powell made on the back of the first half season he had.
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    Need new ideas - the "been there and done it" of the League One merry-go-round has been an absolute failure since Adkins.

Should have stuck with Jackson, or need to find someone similar... Where are the comments saying that Dave Challinor would be a bad choice given the poor run of form Stockport were on, I could do with a good laugh

Need someone young with fresh ideas and knows what success looks like, let them make mistakes - If it takes a bit longer to get out of League One (the right way) as a result then so be it... It took Curbs how many years to get from Division One to the Premier League as a result?

Never really wanted Appleton, but god we need to pissing well stop with replacing Managers every few months... THAT is one reason why we cant attract anyone better, why would you go somewhere when there is zero assurance you'll last five minutes, compared to the last however many Managers have shown up.

Who on here would seriously accept a Permanent job role somewhere, knowing the role they're going into, has such a turnover (and not at the fault of the person in the role in the first place).
    I think the risk with Appleton is/was that he is not a character to win the fans over - in fact, he is not a character full stop. I believe the kids would say he is an NPC.

Almost inevitable that when things go wrong under him - which they would because let's face it he is mediocre at best - the fans would get irate.

In fact in terms of idiotic appointments, it's up there with Roland appointing Fraeye.

I agree, we need someone young & with fresh ideas or a recent player with a lot of goodwill in the bank. The trouble is most of our recent players are by & large rubbish - so there isn't really a Chris Powell-like figure waiting in the wings.

Who was the last player - the fans unanimously loved.  Jackson? Kermorgant?
    Paragraph three.  Appleton being here is a million miles away from the Fraeye appointment.
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Not going to fall on either side of the fence but I think it's interesting to look at our most recent managerial sackings and why they were dismissed. Lets start with Adkins, forced to play a formation because that's what the chairman wanted, then not given the promised players to play that formation. Jackson refused to play the chairman's formation and played to the players he had. Ben Garner, agreed to play the chairman's formation, then not given the promised players to play that formation. Holden, started the season with only Alfie May as the only forward he had, played the kids because recruitment was poor, tried three at the back because both full backs Edun and Watson were not fit, Camara, brought in, not fit, Taylor brought in, not fit. The pattern keeps repeating, the next manager will have exactly the same problems and those problems are created by the owner, not the manager. 
    Good point.
  • Options
    So if Scott is actually up to his job he must have a replacement in mind / lined up. 

The problem I assume is that binning another manager is outside the budget constraints of this season. 

Has CM the ability to go to the investors and say we got it wrong. We need to spend on a manager as well as the squad?

The answer I fear is no. 
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    So if Scott is actually up to his job he must have a replacement in mind / lined up. 

The problem I assume is that binning another manager is outside the budget constraints of this season. 

Has CM the ability to go to the investors and say we got it wrong. We need to spend on a manager as well as the squad?

The answer I fear is no. 
    Scott has bought two managers in. That should be it for him. Personally, I thought the sacking of Holden was wrong but he has shown by brining two in (when Appleton is finally sacked) that he isn't good at his job. Not forgetting about the players he has brought in with the success amongst them being May who Holden had to fight for. When he said judge me by results, did he mean it? I doubt it!

Get a decent manager like Powell in and let him decide the recruitment. We got BWP, Kermogant etc... under him. A long list of players much better than this league! Have some genuine accountability not fake which lets Scott off the hook!
  • Options
    Don't see the benefit in sacking him now.  Wouldn't be upset if the owners were sounding out who might be interested but to sack him without having someone to step straight in would be a disaster.

Like others have said, being renown for not giving managers a fair go is how we end up with Appletons.  

We have to suck it up for the rest of the season and hope that we drastically improve or that the owners actions over the next 6 months show that this is a club worth managing.  

So basically, either Appleton and/or the Owners need to seriously impress between now and the rest of the season.  If neither party show their worth between now and the end of the season, we're really in the shit.  
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Duff
    jones
    challinor
    eustace 
    neil
    rowett

would be my top picks atm wld take any at this point some may be out of reach but if the owners/SMT show some ambition and money who knows
  • Options
    Or… we can sack Appleton now and appoint the Cowleys who will themselves last less than a year and on it goes.

If you pay them enough and give them a budget then they will join. Managers will always back themselves to do well, and we’ve almost become a free hit where if you fail, no one judges you that badly and you get a nice pay off

The new ownership only have themselves to blame for the hire and fire reputation, because they’ve hired 2 average managers and sacked a manager after 5 games.

Holden lost 4 in a row, Appleton is halfway there now and has got better players available than Holden did 
  • Options

The answer I fear is no. 
    They're full of s***.
  • Options
    edited December 2023

Appleton will still be manager in May for a reason.

I believe that he was the only realistic option in September and that remains the case now!!
  • Options
    Oakster2 said:
    I think the risk with Appleton is/was that he is not a character to win the fans over - in fact, he is not a character full stop. I believe the kids would say he is an NPC.

Ha ha my kids always firing that off 
  • Options
    The main worry is we do alter the squad a lot and spend money, only to do the inevitable in February.  The new temporary manager, then bemoans the squad and results improve for a short time, only for the "Charlton Cycle" to be repeated year on year.
  • Options
    I think it's pretty clear that Appleton is not the right man for the job.
    If we allow him to make changes this transfer window and it doesn't work , he will get the bullet early next season. 
    The then new manager may not like the squad Appleton has put together. 
    Far better to make a change now giving the new manager time to assess what needs to be done next summer. 
    100% - problem is if those in football circles think Scott and methven etc are duds as well and we can’t get better - as hard as that would seem -  atm there’s no evidence to think they aren’t duds and plenty to think they are - I think we’re back into looking for a new owner territory if this window is shit as well