Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Next Manager?

Comments

• Options
    ValleyBen said:
    I disagree that are club is failing due to how quickly we write off players & managers. 

Much more to do with poor recruitment of both players & managers by the decision makers over the last number of years. 

Ultimately it comes down to if you think Appleton & the latest recruits are a change of fortune in that previous poor recruitment. 

I am yet to be convinced but again, hope I am wrong. 
    And what I’m saying is that we’ve been unable to convince the better managers (and possibly players) because they take one look at our basket case club and say no thanks. It’s a vicious cycle.

Short of being taken over by a wealthy Charlton fan who makes all the right moves, there’s little that can be done to buy our way out of the reputation we’ve created for ourselves. The only realistic fix is time. And the longer we keep chopping and changing, the longer we will have to wait before things get better.

Stick with someone for a while, build something with them, even if it’s painful in the short term, and maybe we’ll start to see players and managers wanting to join us.
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    Chunes said:
    The younger players performed better under Holden.
    Yes, to an extent.  The problem is that Holden, Garner and Appleton should be nowhere this role in the first place.  It’s the level we’ve descended to.  I’ve never been one to believe we’re a big club and should be at a better level, but I truly believe that with our history and the size of the club (comparatively speaking), the likes of Garner and Holden we’re lucky to even get an interview 

Garner perhaps got lucky, as for Holden Christmas came early.
  • Options
    Every manager since Lee Bowyer has been shite.

I say get rid of Appleton and start again.

One day we will get lucky and end up with another Curbs or Lennie. Not every manager is shite. By the law of averages employ enough managers and eventually we will strike gold. 
    Need decent owners first.
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    I disagree that are club is failing due to how quickly we write off players & managers. 

Much more to do with poor recruitment of both players & managers by the decision makers over the last number of years. 

Ultimately it comes down to if you think Appleton & the latest recruits are a change of fortune in that previous poor recruitment. 

And what I’m saying is that we’ve been unable to convince the better managers (and possibly players) because they take one look at our basket case club and say no thanks. It’s a vicious cycle.

Short of being taken over by a wealthy Charlton fan who makes all the right moves, there’s little that can be done to buy our way out of the reputation we’ve created for ourselves. The only realistic fix is time. And the longer we keep chopping and changing, the longer we will have to wait before things get better.

Stick with someone for a while, build something with them, even if it’s painful in the short term, and maybe we’ll start to see players and managers wanting to join us.
    Players especially will go to the club that makes the best financial offer. 

Managers will too if the decision makers set out a believable vision to them. 

I really disagree with the notion that we need to be stable but poor/average club for a season or two to then be able to recruit a good manager & players. 

We need decision makers to make better judgement and owners to give a realistic budget. 
  • Options
    We can only dream of getting a manager like this.

https://archive.is/GU3Bd

A vegan!
  • Options
    The way I see it is that Appleton is an average league one manager with an average league one squad.

This is how it has been on the whole for ages now. Which is why we will have some periods where we will win games and some periods where we will lose games - and why we inevitably end up in mid table.

I think as with every average manager if you give them the correct squad, the likelihood is that they will then win more than they lose. Appleton had a period where we had pretty much the whole squad available, and we strung together some good results and he was praised for his use of subs etc.

We start to lose some players and then lack the depth, and inevitably Appleton is not an exceptional enough manager to get the results we require.

Of course it is the managers responsibility to be able to react to get teams playing through injury issues, but it shows how important some key players are to the performance of the squad especially when your recruitment has been poor for some time.

Which of course I think we can all agree ours has been in recent seasons, and not necessarily for lack of resources spent, but for a complete lack of plan and being spent incorrectly.

I am sure if you gave Appleton an above average squad he would get above average results, or if we have an above average manager he would do better with the current squad we have. 

Average squad, average third division club (atm) with an average manager.
    I tend to agree, but couldn't Appleton at least entertain us on the mouth organ at half time, or get a scriptwriter to arm him with some funny or memorable one liners in his post match interviews, or patrol the technical area in a sparkly outfit like this:

I mean if he can't get us promoted, he could at least be something more than a cliché ridden moaner and entertain the fans.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    ValleyBen said:
    ValleyBen said:

I really disagree with the notion that we need to be stable but poor/average club for a season or two to then be able to recruit a good manager & players. 

We need decision makers to make better judgement and owners to give a realistic budget. 
    You make it sound so easy. We have proof that managers have turned us down for exactly the reasons I’ve given.

If you want to get rid of Appleton now, the best we can expect is the Cowleys. If you want to carry on with the rotation of managers going nowhere, you’re welcome to it. But don’t expect it to result in Charlton being successful.

Talk of Duff, Rowett, Eustace etc is fanciful with the club in its current state. If we’re gonna be stuck in mid table League One, we might as well do it while not sacking a manager three times a year.
    Do we have proof they turned us down due to us firing Holden too quickly?

Seems more likely they had little trust in those running our clubs budget & vision. 

So we ended up with a journeyman yesterday's man 4th choice. 
  • Options
    ValleyBen said:
    ValleyBen said:

You make it sound so easy. We have proof that managers have turned us down for exactly the reasons I’ve given.

If you want to get rid of Appleton now, the best we can expect is the Cowleys. If you want to carry on with the rotation of managers going nowhere, you’re welcome to it. But don’t expect it to result in Charlton being successful.

Talk of Duff, Rowett, Eustace etc is fanciful with the club in its current state. If we’re gonna be stuck in mid table League One, we might as well do it while not sacking a manager three times a year.
    What would be the most expensive option for the Board ? 

A ......Continuing to appoint mediocre / musical dugout types and then pay them off for A N Other 6 months later ?

or B......Spend that money by investing it in a manager with some degree of success in their background, give him a budget with which to strengthen his squad and 2 full seasons to prove himself ? 

No guesses for the option I'd take. 
    ValleyBen said:
    ValleyBen said:
    ValleyBen said:

Do we have proof they turned us down due to us firing Holden too quickly?

Seems more likely they had little trust in those running our clubs budget & vision. 

So we ended up with a journeyman yesterday's man 4th choice. 
    The options you are both presenting involve spending money that doesn’t exist to be spent. 🤷‍♂️ 

Appleton was told there’d be money to spend. I don’t doubt that Darren Ferguson and Dave Challinor were told the same thing before Appleton was appointed - getting the best manager for the job is no longer that simple for Charlton Athletic.

What was the difference between Appleton and the other two? Ferguson and Challinor were doing well at stable clubs in stable roles and didn’t trust what they were told.

If we want to attract those up and coming managers, the club is going to have to prove it with actions not words.
  • Options
    The budget & vision set out by the current lot is a choice made by them, not something they are trapped in to though. 

So find it bizarre to use it as an excuse for us to continue to accept failure. 
  • Options
    Appleton is reminding me too much of the Slade era. Found the appointment uninspired when it was made and it just feels like it's not going to end well for him or the club. 

As for replacements , can rule out Mowbray, Alex Neil, Rowett and probably John Eustace as they'll all be eyeing up staying at championship level. 
  • Options
    Even if we can’t attract one of those names mentioned. Lee Bowyer would be interested, he’s got more league 1 promotions than Appleton for a start 

We need a manager to unite the fanbase, build a promotion winning squad and a manager that works best with playing 2 strikers. We know Bowyer can do that because he’s done it already 
  • Options
    1 - the owners are useless chancers 
    2- the current manager is useless, not “average”
    3- the current squad is average with a few good players and nothing more 
    4 - the loanees are mostly useless 

A fish rots from the head…..Gobby Methven and his band are our real problem along with the toxic Belgian. Our club will not have any chance until the ownership is good.

I am not hopeful of any improvement, but am more concerned we will disappear with those idiots in control at the top

• Options
    NabySarr said:
    ValleyBen said:
    ValleyBen said:

If you pay Duff enough then he would join. He didn’t do that well at swansea, so his next job will be bottom champ/top L1. 

Owners keep bigging up their investment for the transfer window, we should also be spending on pushing the boat out to get a top manager in, and that is probably more important 
    NabySarr said:
    ValleyBen said:
    ValleyBen said:

If you pay Duff enough then he would join. He didn’t do that well at swansea, so his next job will be bottom champ/top L1. 

Owners keep bigging up their investment for the transfer window, we should also be spending on pushing the boat out to get a top manager in, and that is probably more important 
    These idiots gave us Appleton ….nothing more to say.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:

A fish rots from the head…..Gobby Methven and his band are our real problem along with the toxic Belgian. Our club will not have any chance until the ownership is good.

I am not hopeful of any improvement, but am more concerned we will disappear with those idiots in control at the top

I would say:

1 - I don’t trust them to get it right, but currently there is no real evidence of this. 

2 - He is literally the definition of average league manager for his level, and his stats reflect this.

3 - Agreed, though I think it shows how much a few good players can change a teams results.

4 - Agreed, but don’t think it’s helped that they barely seem get to be played in their proper positions - and mainly because they were brought in for a different formation to what we play. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    sam3110 said:
    Everything that's wrong with modern football fans in a thread. 

We've lost 3 games under Appleton.

THREE.

In 16(?) Games.

We lost more than that in the first 5 games of the season FFS. 

And if he was sacked, what message does that send out about the new owners? You think that would lead to managers of a decent quality queuing out the door wanting to work with them?

If that was Chris Powell most of you would be clamouring to "give him time", "he hasn't had a proper window to sort out his team yet", "at least he's movednus away from the relegation places".

It's pathetic, some of our fans are so deluded it's unreal
    How many games have we won? 

Let's not accept mediocrity. We want to get promoted from this league, which involves winning. We have not strung two back-to-back league wins in the sixteen L1 games he's been here. 
    16 games, lol

Say no more.
  • Options
    Neil Critchley will be available very soon if you are not fed up of ex Pool managers ?
  • Options
    Most didn’t want Appleton, me included, if he is backed unlike previous managers he will get us up imo, sure we would all like a manager with a connection with the club but there isn’t any (ready) yet, we cannot keep sacking managers without giving them a chance. 
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:

Which owners are useless chancers exactly please.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    Swisdom said:
    As much as it pains me - Tony Mowbray is out of work.  He may be a bit boring but he’s quite effective and knows how to coach a defence.

Alternatively Michael Duff performed well until his last job.

as daft as it might seem getting rid of Appleton …I was at the Cray Valley and Gillingham games and they remain 2 of the worst games in my lifetime.  Not only that…Appleton has lost a lot of the goodwill of the fans and it’s incredibly hard to win it back.
    Much will depend on if the new signings can turn things around for us on the pitch. If we start to climb the league I think the fans will expect he gets the summer window as well. If we still look dire despite a few half decent reinforcements then I think he might have a problem. I’d be shocked if he didn’t at least start next season.
  • Options
    Every manager since Lee Bowyer has been shite.

I say get rid of Appleton and start again.

One day we will get lucky and end up with another Curbs or Lennie. Not every manager is shite. By the law of averages employ enough managers and eventually we will strike gold. 
    There's a common factor at play here. The squad of players are shite.

Pep or Klopp would struggle to get this lot anywhere near the play offs. We haven't had a decent full back for what seems like years, our centre backs are poor and there's no creativity in midfield.

So we can continue recycling managers every few months and hope we 'strike gold' but it's far more likely that we won't do anything until the squad is actually improved.
  • Options
    BigDiddy said:

Which owners are useless chancers exactly please.
    Methven and the people who have him a small share in the club.

The CURRENT owners - each and every one.