Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+POSTp22): Gillingham vs Charlton Athletic: FA CupšŸ†(2): Sat 2nd Dec 2023 | KO 3.00PM

Comments

• Options
    That looked like a group of players who turned up realised that the opposition wanted to win and thought fuck it canā€™t be bothered, I donā€™t believe that players go on to the pitch not wanting it, but after watching that Iā€™m having 2nd thoughtsĀ 
  • Options
    Next.

Arsenal v Gillingham
  • Options
    itā€™s a good job weā€™re concentrating on the league, having pick pocketed 4 points from 2 of the bottom 4 in the last 2 games. On a roll and we certainly donā€™t need any silly cup distractions.Ā 
  • Options
    Well that was another cold depressing afternoon following Charlton my favourite team.
    i hope that shower who played today just feel a tiny bit of the disappointment and embarrassment I feel tonightĀ 
    I doubt it. If I performed like that at work I would be showen the door
  • Options
    redbuttle said:
    On the train home. Lots of fans saying they cant recall a worse performance or team.
    Neither can I.
    I am trying, but nope itā€™s right up there and letā€™s be honest it a bloody high bar, thatā€™s how bad it was
  • Options
    Pathetic performance, turned off at HT

ā€¦..itā€™s all about the windscreen wiper shield this seasonĀ 
    I don't think we could compete in the FA vase with this team.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Think we were completely shocked by how Gills started and fair play to them for that. Went far too attacking after their goal and then I donā€™t think our players ever thought theyā€™d score 3. Tedic ran around but did nothing. TC was poor, CBT & May anonymous. Wouldā€™ve been a great game to play Hector and give him some confidence. I know heā€™s been poor but think heā€™d have done better than Ness today. Always liked Lapslie but he was never as good as we made him look today
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    We huffed and puffed on Tuesday, and just about got away with it. Ā Weā€™re still in the same position weā€™ve been for 3 years now. Ā We have one or two good players, maybe closer to 5 this season, but we cannot rely on them to consistently turn up, week in, week out and it be enough to carry the rest of the dross. Ā 

Weā€™re shaping up for a repeat of 21/22 & 22/23 just a different cast of charactersĀ 

The only way weā€™re getting out of this league is a major influx of quality, more than likely at a significant cost.

I donā€™t believe we have the nous or the infrastructure within the club to do it with free transfers and loans, and I expect this will become apparent to the owners by the end of this season. Ā 

Nail on head.Ā 
  • Options
    On reflection of that game I think few things come to mind one the draw itself one team we did not want especially away because of the fans that would travel and the team he would have to play .. second deep down MA will be happy that we got through the game with no injuries or any red cards, that if your going to have an off day do it in the cup and again the players banging on his door to play failed to deliver .. we will never know what instructions we were under or how the news about Leaburn affected the side but it was clear we never really got above 60% or really put our foot in ? But saying that the worst thing we could do was give Gillingham a massive confidence boost when the game really was pretty even .. AMB a mistake waiting to happen again come charging out for no reason and goal .. and the game changed ā€¦ another loose play from Ness straight after and we found ourselves two down and Gillingham had not really created a chance !!Ā 
    CBT , Campbell , L Watson failed miserably today to create a single opportunity.. that showed in May frustration .. and Tedic never really stood a chance today .. ā€¦ surely C Campbell is better then T Campbell . Jones looks half the player without Hector .. Assiwme to many errors again .. Without Leaburn or Aneke we got to change our style .. Tedic , Kanu May are not the same players but donā€™t think we got the wingers with the intelligence to work it out ..as I said would not swap any points in the league for a win in the cup as Pompey manager said after losing to non league side ā€œ we are not going to win it ā€œ ā€¦.
  • Options
    I won't swear but the type of player required in January begins with C. Yes they need to be able to kick a ball but they also need to be a C. One needed in midfield, One needed up front and one needed in central defence. Then see where that gets us. In December we have to pick up enough points to stay in touch.
  • Options
    fenaddick said:
    Think we were completely shocked by how Gills started and fair play to them for that. Went far too attacking after their goal and then I donā€™t think our players ever thought theyā€™d score 3. Tedic ran around but did nothing. TC was poor, CBT & May anonymous. Wouldā€™ve been a great game to play Hector and give him some confidence. I know heā€™s been poor but think heā€™d have done better than Ness today. Always liked Lapslie but he was never as good as we made him look today
    Upto the mistake by AMB it was pretty even game the only chance was May .. but you canā€™t give them a leg up like AMB didĀ 
  • Options
    I won't swear but the type of player required in January begins with C. Yes they need to be able to kick a ball but they also need to be a C. One needed in midfield, One needed up front and one needed in central defence. Then see where that gets us. In December we have to pick up enough points to stay in touch.
    Codebreaker?
  • Options
    that is now 3 games where May has not had a shot in open play on target. We were poor against Cheltenham but saved by 2 penalties and by all accounts today the team are following that downward trend - worrying
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Chunes said:
    Too pissed off to listen. IF I had a cat...grrr!
  • Options
    ā€˜ā€¦.wasnā€™t aggressive enough.ā€™Ā 

Sums us up this season in three words.Ā 
  • Options
    ross1 said:

Myself andĀ @_nam11Ā ready to bring you full live commentary of Charltonā€™s FA Cup clash at Gillingham on theĀ @BBCSportĀ website

Damn, I only found the Kent feed.Ā 
  • Options
    cabbles said:
    We huffed and puffed on Tuesday, and just about got away with it. Ā Weā€™re still in the same position weā€™ve been for 3 years now. Ā We have one or two good players, maybe closer to 5 this season, but we cannot rely on them to consistently turn up, week in, week out and it be enough to carry the rest of the dross. Ā 

Weā€™re shaping up for a repeat of 21/22 & 22/23 just a different cast of charactersĀ 

The only way weā€™re getting out of this league is a major influx of quality, more than likely at a significant cost.

I donā€™t believe we have the nous or the infrastructure within the club to do it with free transfers and loans, and I expect this will become apparent to the owners by the end of this season. Ā 

Spot on mate.
  • Options
    Thought we have enough C*&Ā£# as it is šŸ™‚ but yeah I agree.