Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Gillingham ticket allocation

Comments

• They are a bit like Palace , they do not have a local rival so try to invent one. 
    Nothing like them at all. They are very self aware.
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Never realised there has been trouble with them recently. Then again haven't been to a match between us at there's for about 5 years. Think we lost. 
    There’s history, goes back a while
    Even in schools, my cousins say that Charlton fans are referred to as Tories by some of the Kent school kids and we are a posh club. 

I dropped my cousins mates to our friendly pre-season and they had some light hearted banter and said I'm a snob and that's why I picked Charlton. 

Had to show them on Google maps that Abbey Wood and Thamesmead where I grew up, are hardly the most attractive areas on earth haha.

There's definitely a bit of an edge to the game, more so them than us but there's something there 
    Regular trouble in the last 20 years when we’ve played, resulting in one Gillingham fan (who turned out to be a local Gooner) ending up doing some time behind the door for an incident in a pub whilst the game was on, disruption after that game as Charlton went looking for revenge, pepper spray used by OB.
    Some lifers were in that same pub before the game, The county tavern I think it was called, mini market/shop now, a pal of mine ran it at the time.
    Ever since their “element” have turned out for it and visa versa 
    Kent cup, Gillingham away was absolute mayhem. 
  • The area around the valley is a bit of a dump to be fair
  • If you need a random half of a car from the 90s the front gardens of the houses in Gillingham are the place to be 
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:
    Never realised there has been trouble with them recently. Then again haven't been to a match between us at there's for about 5 years. Think we lost. 
    Even in schools, my cousins say that Charlton fans are referred to as Tories by some of the Kent school kids and we are a posh club. 

I dropped my cousins mates to our friendly pre-season and they had some light hearted banter and said I'm a snob and that's why I picked Charlton. 

Had to show them on Google maps that Abbey Wood and Thamesmead where I grew up, are hardly the most attractive areas on earth haha.

There's definitely a bit of an edge to the game, more so them than us but there's something there 
    Regular trouble in the last 20 years when we’ve played, resulting in one Gillingham fan (who turned out to be a local Gooner) ending up doing some time behind the door for an incident in a pub whilst the game was on, disruption after that game as Charlton went looking for revenge, pepper spray used by OB.
    Some lifers were in that same pub before the game, The county tavern I think it was called, mini market/shop now, a pal of mine ran it at the time.
    Was called the Britton Farmhouse @DA9

14 years ago now.

Better memory than me, I know it was rammed and I ended serving behind the jump 
  • sam3110 said:
    They are a bit like Palace , they do not have a local rival so try to invent one. 
    Don't they have some weird rivalry with Brighton? 

Seems like that's the de facto place to pick on if you don't have a real rivalry
    Swindon
    And Fulham - terrible incident 
  • If you need a random half of a car from the 90s the front gardens of the houses in Gillingham are the place to be 
    Or a burnt out mattress
  • DA9 said:
    DA9 said:

You sure about 1969? I think you mean 1975? It was played on a Saturday night, IIRC
  • edited November 2023
    _MrDick said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:

You sure about 1969? I think you mean 1975? It was played on a Saturday night, IIRC
    Yep we won 2-0, after beating Palace away 1-0 and Millwall at home 1-0. Yes we really did. Phil Warman I think.
  • sam3110 said:
    They are a bit like Palace , they do not have a local rival so try to invent one. 

Seems like that's the de facto place to pick on if you don't have a real rivalry
    Swindon.
  • Sponsored links:

• sam3110 said:

Swindon
    Originates from the play-offs in 86/7 I believe.
  • edited November 2023
    Maidstone United is a mutual rivalry.
    Their's is with Dartford?
  • There always was a rivalry with Maidstone when they both occupied the same league especially. Dartford hate Maidstone because of something to do with their (Dartford's) ground but given Maidstone folded there is no rivalry there now 

Swindon are a rivalry that definitely means a lot more to Gillingham fans than Swindon Town fans. They did have a very lively rivalry with Fulham for a while culminating in a Fulham fan being killed in an alleyway behind the Town End hence now all the steps required to get from one part of the ground to another as all the alleyways were sealed off following that. They also had one with Preston that originated from them both hitting an upwards ascendancy in the mid 90s. We are fair game to them as rivals given the proximity. 

Its hard for a club like Gillingham, no real competitors for a large catchment area but that catchment is full of kids and adults who, whilst residing in Kent choose to lend their 'support' to clubs in the North, places that they have rarely, if ever set foot in. Like Chatham Town though, if they start winning regularly again they will get the attendances back 
  • Surely Swindon are rivals with Oxford, Reading and maybe Bristol rovers?

I'm sure if you asked Swindon fans, hardly any of them would say Gillingham.
  • _MrDick said:
    DA9 said:
    DA9 said:

Def 69. As a 14 year old it was my first away with Charlton skins.
    We met at the top of Vicky way, got the train to Gillingham and from then on it just seemed to be running about causing mayhem.

75 i would have been at but can't remember anything about it.
  • SamB09 said:
    The area around the valley is a bit of a dump to be fair
    London?
  • Alfie May must be happy with this draw. Very convenient for that flat he bought in the summer overlooking the Medway.
    Good luck to anyone buying a property on St Mary's island where the houses were built. I am a Chatham dockyard apprentice and there was a 100 yard exclusion zone round the area due to all the shit buried there. 
    "St Mary's Island was originally a marshy area to the north of Chatham Dockyard. It had many uses over the years: brickfields, prison, a place to bury the bodies of the prisoners of war held captive on the prison hulks in the River Medway, a place to change the reactor cores of the Royal Navy's submarines, a nuclear waste dump and now, after removing 1,300,000 tonnes of contaminated soil, a housing estate."

No, ta.
  • SamB09 said:
    There are dumps and there are dumps. Our dump is far more less a dump than many dumps around our dump of a country.
  • SamB09 said:
    Inbetween housing like a proper ground? 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Sponsored links:

• Carter said:
    There always was a rivalry with Maidstone when they both occupied the same league especially. Dartford hate Maidstone because of something to do with their (Dartford's) ground but given Maidstone folded there is no rivalry there now 

Swindon are a rivalry that definitely means a lot more to Gillingham fans than Swindon Town fans. They did have a very lively rivalry with Fulham for a while culminating in a Fulham fan being killed in an alleyway behind the Town End hence now all the steps required to get from one part of the ground to another as all the alleyways were sealed off following that. They also had one with Preston that originated from them both hitting an upwards ascendancy in the mid 90s. We are fair game to them as rivals given the proximity. 

Its hard for a club like Gillingham, no real competitors for a large catchment area but that catchment is full of kids and adults who, whilst residing in Kent choose to lend their 'support' to clubs in the North, places that they have rarely, if ever set foot in. Like Chatham Town though, if they start winning regularly again they will get the attendances back 
    I think there is still a degree of resentment felt by older Dartford fans towards Maidstone. My recollection is that Maidstone got promoted to Div 4 in late 80's. Their ground didn't comply with league rules so they ground shared at Dartford. They went bust leaving Dartford with bills to pay for ground improvements commissioned by Maidstone to comply with league rules. Those bills caused Dartford to go bust. There is probably more to it than that but it’s is the general gist.

This is all correct
  • Alfie May must be happy with this draw. Very convenient for that flat he bought in the summer overlooking the Medway.
    Good luck to anyone buying a property on St Mary's island where the houses were built. I am a Chatham dockyard apprentice and there was a 100 yard exclusion zone round the area due to all the shit buried there. 
    "St Mary's Island was originally a marshy area to the north of Chatham Dockyard. It had many uses over the years: brickfields, prison, a place to bury the bodies of the prisoners of war held captive on the prison hulks in the River Medway, a place to change the reactor cores of the Royal Navy's submarines, a nuclear waste dump and now, after removing 1,300,000 tonnes of contaminated soil, a housing estate."

No, ta.
    A nuclear waste dump- what the Dickens were they thinking
  • edited November 2023
    Alfie May must be happy with this draw. Very convenient for that flat he bought in the summer overlooking the Medway.

No, ta.
    A nuclear waste dump- what the Dickens were they thinking
    He never mentioned it in any of his novels either!
  • Just found out it's the main game on Sport TV here in Portugal. 👍🏻

I'm all right Jack... 

I'm all right Jack... 

Lot of Gillingham fans in Portugal no doubt.

I'm all right Jack... 

Lot of Gillingham fans in Portable Caravans no doubt.
    😀

I'm all right Jack... 

Lot of Gillingham fans in Portable Caravans no doubt.
    😀

They are known as mobile homes down there!
  • I'm sure if it was at the Valley it would be a tenner. Gillingham taking the piss knowing we'll bring a few hundred or so?
  • edited November 2023
    PopIcon said:
    I'm sure if it was at the Valley it would be a tenner. Gillingham taking the piss knowing we'll bring a few hundred or so?
    They're charging home fans an optimistic £17 so we'll also be charged that. Announced just this evening by Gillingham...

Prices for the game are as follows:

Adults - £17

Seniors - £14

U18 - £10