Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Gillingham ticket allocation

Comments

• Options
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    I'm sure many would say the same about Charlton.
    No Comparison. 
    Agree, but I always find it ludicrous when we sing ‘Fulham’s a shithole’. Almost as ludicrous ad when Burnley sing it at the Valley
    Or Blackburn which should be renamed Shithole.
    Worst town I've been to on an away. Absolute toilet 
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    shithole

• Options
    seth plum said:
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    I was thinking about this the last time fans were singing they want to go home. Close to the ground (which is a ground full of character), you have the O2 with the cable cars, you have a large cinema complex, lots of restaurants, A large variety of shops like IKEA, M&S, Macro etc... Then you have Greenwhich Park where they start the London Marathon and you are in the Royal Borough of Greenwhich which has the Cutty Sark, and the Royal Observatory. You also have the Thames Barrier close by which is a fantastic piece of engineering. You can sit outside the Anchor and Hope pub overlooking the Thames with a pint and a tub of Seafood. If that is a shithole, what place isn't?
    Within five minutes walk you have Maryon Wilson park and animal sanctuary and location of the film Blow Up, you have the first ever Mulberry Tree in the UK, an Inigo Jones designed historic house that overlapped with William Shakespeare, the last resting place of Spencer Percival (St Luke’s Church) that assassinated Prime Minister, There is the Thames barrier naturally. You also have great views over one of the world’s most iconic cities,
    Five minutes or less.
    If you’re looking for depressing dross you have Selhurst Park not far off in Surrey.
    @seth plum - I was actually at the filming of Blow Up! 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    No Comparison. 
    Agree, but I always find it ludicrous when we sing ‘Fulham’s a shithole’. Almost as ludicrous ad when Burnley sing it at the Valley
    Stayed in Clitheroe up the road, it's a lovely place set in great countryside.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    No Comparison. 
    Stayed in Clitheroe up the road, it's a lovely place set in great countryside.
    I was up in Burnley once and driving past Clitheroe after a night out I said something like’wow, is this where the Clitheroe Kid came from ?’ And they said ‘who ?’ FFS, probably the most famous person ever (BBC radio covered the world) to have come from Burnley and the surrounding area and they’d never heard of him.

• Options
    Alfie May must be happy with this draw. Very convenient for that flat he bought in the summer overlooking the Medway.
    Good luck to anyone buying a property on St Mary's island where the houses were built. I am a Chatham dockyard apprentice and there was a 100 yard exclusion zone round the area due to all the shit buried there. 
  • Options
    Alfie May must be happy with this draw. Very convenient for that flat he bought in the summer overlooking the Medway.
    Good luck to anyone buying a property on St Mary's island where the houses were built. I am a Chatham dockyard apprentice and there was a 100 yard exclusion zone round the area due to all the shit buried there. 
    At least you glow in the night!  Very energy efficient.
  • Options

There are about 250k French prisoners of war buried there somewhere too. For what its worth I think the townhouses that look over the hoo peninsula and Upnor are really nice. Houses overpriced but there is 0 crime there. Can't grow anything edible though for about another 100,000 years 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Croydon said:
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    No Comparison. 
    Went with mates a few weeks back. One is a Rovers fan one Boro. Went in the away end with the 5,000 or so Boro. Weird being in the away with a team you don’t support.
    But yes, Blackburn is a toilet. Horrible.

The outer bit though is very nice. Well heeled country folk.

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    shirty5 said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    Really ? 
    I cannot think of a decent pub or restaurant in Charlton. There are some lovely houses on the Avenues, west of Church Lane and Charlton House has a nice bit of history. Beyond going to the football i'd never visit.
    Never fancied a curry in the Viceroy after a game? 
    The Viceroy is quality, can even take your own beers in, from the Coop across the road.

The Viceroy's food is better than average but that's about as far as it goes.  I'd rate Yak and Yeti (Crystal Palace, haven't been to the New Eltham one) as superior.  However, it's hard to get really good food in an Indian without paying through the nose at somewhere like Babur or Dishoom.

Being able to take your own booze is what sets it apart.
  • Options
    Carter said:

There are about 250k French prisoners of war buried there somewhere too. For what its worth I think the townhouses that look over the hoo peninsula and Upnor are really nice. Houses overpriced but there is 0 crime there. Can't grow anything edible though for about another 100,000 years 
    indeed, there was a small pitch and putt course that you could use at lunchtimes etc. One backshift we went there and one of my mates hooked the ball into the exclusion zone, He went after it and within minutes the MOD Plod where there ringing our ears out for venturing over the line.
  • Options
    Last time I went I felt intimidated by the huge snarling Police presence. The away end is poor and we had to walk way round the houses back to the station.
    Nasty experience overall, not going to repeat that.
  • Options
    Carter said:

indeed, there was a small pitch and putt course that you could use at lunchtimes etc. One backshift we went there and one of my mates hooked the ball into the exclusion zone, He went after it and within minutes the MOD Plod where there ringing our ears out for venturing over the line.
    I dread to think what nasties are buried in the ground in that area - friend of my Father in Law worked at the dockyard when they did nuclear reactor replacements on the nuclear subs in the 1970’s - to say health and safety was lax back then, is an understatement

His job was to go inside the subs, after any contaminated material had been (apparently) removed, and then remove pipe work, and replace it with new pipe work - on the 2nd sub he worked on, he went inside, the pipe he had been detailed to replace had a tag on it to say it was safe - cut the pipe, got covered in radioactive water - his sensor went nuts, he rushed out onto the quayside, they removed his clothes, scrubbed him down, took a reading, and told him he had exceeded his exposure limit, so couldn’t work for a few weeks - 3 days later they rang him up, told him to come back to work, as they were short staffed !!!

This happened to him a few times

Suffice to say, he is no longer with us - died from cancer, very young

Why did he stay, well the pay was very good for what his job entailed

My Father in Law was offered a job at the dockyard, but my Mother in Law wouldn’t allow it

Look up cases of Asbestosis connected to the dockyard on internet - dreadful 
  • Options
    shirty5 said:
    PopIcon said:
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    Really ? 
    I cannot think of a decent pub or restaurant in Charlton. There are some lovely houses on the Avenues, west of Church Lane and Charlton House has a nice bit of history. Beyond going to the football i'd never visit.
    Never fancied a curry in the Viceroy after a game? 
    The Viceroy is quality, can even take your own beers in, from the Coop across the road.

The Viceroy's food is better than average but that's about as far as it goes.  I'd rate Yak and Yeti (Crystal Palace, haven't been to the New Eltham one) as superior.  However, it's hard to get really good food in an Indian without paying through the nose at somewhere like Babur or Dishoom.

Being able to take your own booze is what sets it apart.
    Try Needos in Whitechapel, although alcohol free and not sure if you can bring your own.
  • Options
    Carter said:
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, if Gillingham is the biggest shothole you have experienced then you have not travelled even a tenth of the way around the UK. 

Even the ground in itself isn't even top 10 for the worst one I've been to. I accept the scaffolding stand is not nice in the weather but the rest of the ground is decent, they have maintained their original ground rather than move into another out of town soulless bowl, the pitch is about as good as pitches get, it's a really easy place to get to on the train and Rochester is great for drinking before and after the game. What I have found is the game tends to bring put the worst in some of our supporters who get very, very brave there but are very quiet elsewhere. 
    Can’t speak over your last sentence but the rest is true. As for shitholes the biggest for me was Ayresome Park, followed by Victoria Ground Stoke and Hartlepool . 
  • Options
    Carter said:

I dread to think what nasties are buried in the ground in that area - friend of my Father in Law worked at the dockyard when they did nuclear reactor replacements on the nuclear subs in the 1970’s - to say health and safety was lax back then, is an understatement

His job was to go inside the subs, after any contaminated material had been (apparently) removed, and then remove pipe work, and replace it with new pipe work - on the 2nd sub he worked on, he went inside, the pipe he had been detailed to replace had a tag on it to say it was safe - cut the pipe, got covered in radioactive water - his sensor went nuts, he rushed out onto the quayside, they removed his clothes, scrubbed him down, took a reading, and told him he had exceeded his exposure limit, so couldn’t work for a few weeks - 3 days later they rang him up, told him to come back to work, as they were short staffed !!!

My Father in Law was offered a job at the dockyard, but my Mother in Law wouldn’t allow it

Totally agree. I worked on nuclear subs for 11 years from the hunter killers like conqueror to the polaris subs. Never had one body monitor, piss sample all the time i work there. I still work in the same industry not on ships or subs but the safety aspects are far more stringent than they were then. I too was subject to materials like asbestos and who knows what time bomb i am sitting under.

With St Marys island a lot of the older workers told us they have mustard gas buried there from WW1, and was never recorded where it was buried.
  • Options
    As my kid brother says, who did 25 years in the submarine service, finishing on Astute, "not planning for a long retirement, I slept next door to  nuclear reactor for years..."
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    No Comparison. 
    No place is safe from football chants. 

"The lake district is a shithole, I wanna go home...."
  • Options
    CAFCTrev said:
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    No Comparison. 
    No place is safe from football chants. 

"The lake district is a shithole, I wanna go home...."
    And ?

• Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    when the hell is the UN gonna get off their arses and condemn the atrocity that is Gillingham's away end. Temporary structure?? are you taking the piss?! I've seen better built stands at a village fete. 
  • Options
    Well what's the away fan allocation for the Gills game?
  • Options
    Carter said:

Totally agree. I worked on nuclear subs for 11 years from the hunter killers like conqueror to the polaris subs. Never had one body monitor, piss sample all the time i work there. I still work in the same industry not on ships or subs but the safety aspects are far more stringent than they were then. I too was subject to materials like asbestos and who knows what time bomb i am sitting under.

With St Marys island a lot of the older workers told us they have mustard gas buried there from WW1, and was never recorded where it was buried.
    In addition, my Father in Law worked at Littlebrook Power Station for years - regularly got offered jobs to work at Dungeness Power Stations - my Mother in Law blocked him every time - his mates who did go to work at Dungeness, are all dead - none made it to 65 years old…….

The standards of safety, not even that long ago, were shocking - power stations, submarines, ships, are all stuffed to the gunnels with Asbestos 
  • Options
    Loads of grounds are in dumps, Hartlepool isn't one of them!

Having an uncovered away end in the football league in 2023 is pretty criminal. 
  • Options
    Carter said:

A good friend of my wifes lost her father to a rather nasty asbestos related cancer directly attributed to his place of work, the dockyard. I believe his job was lagging pipes, not a nice job regardless of what materials used.
    He died back in the early 80s but had probably been exposed  all his working life, which wasn't as long as it should of been.  
    Health & Safety used to get a bit of a bad press from those who had no knowledge of the dangers that ordinary workers were exposed to daily.  When I started work I used to make brazing jigs made from sheet cement material called Sindanyo. It used to have a sticker on it saying it contained asbestos but we were told its ok because its white asbestos. 
  • Options
    I remember as a Truck repair apprentice in the 70s it was quite routine to “blow “ brake drums out and the asbestos would fill a workshop.
  • Options
    Carter said:

A good friend of my wifes lost her father to a rather nasty asbestos related cancer directly attributed to his place of work, the dockyard. I believe his job was lagging pipes, not a nice job regardless of what materials used.
    He died back in the early 80s but had probably been exposed  all his working life, which wasn't as long as it should of been.  
    Health & Safety used to get a bit of a bad press from those who had no knowledge of the dangers that ordinary workers were exposed to daily.  When I started work I used to make brazing jigs made from sheet cement material called Sindanyo. It used to have a sticker on it saying it contained asbestos but we were told its ok because its white asbestos. 
    Took my grandad as well who was in the army. He was only in his 60s.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    shithole
    No Comparison. 
    Blackburn is made up of 10000 of them. Fact.
  • Options
    I remember as a Truck repair apprentice in the 70s it was quite routine to “blow “ brake drums out and the asbestos would fill a workshop.
    This..
    Same here, more stores involved myself in 70's, not directly involved in Commercial workshop (apprentice) work, but workshop floor and maintenance areas were regularly in a cloud of brake dust, how things have changed in later years...