Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+post p21): Cray Valley PM vs Charlton Athletic: FAC1 Replay Wed 15th Nov 2023 | 19:45

Comments

• Options
    You'd have to say it's absolutely mental that May didn't square the ball to Leaburn instead of shooting for his second goal. Yes, it went in, somehow, but that was far from the percentage play.
    He's a confident goalscorer, and almost a carbon copy of his goal at Portsmouth, dare say Leaburn would have taken the same option I think...
  • Options
    You'd have to say it's absolutely mental that May didn't square the ball to Leaburn instead of shooting for his second goal. Yes, it went in, somehow, but that was far from the percentage play.
    May's not really a percentage player though to be fair. He's more about pure numbers - take enough shots and eventually one will go in.

• Options
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Calm down everybody especially @CAFCDAZ you will have blood pressure with your persecution of Corey Blackett-Taylor. He has been excellent this season even if he has gone AWOL in the last two matches which may be because he has been told to go inside when Edun overlaps and it's not quite working. CBT needs space to work in and in the 1st half the low block made this difficult. 

Not quite sure with the body language of Miles Leaburn at the moment but it's the polar opposite to May and Dobson who play with a smile on their faces and enjoy every second of being a pro footballer which is a tough business with the abuse they can get online or at the ground as I heard Alfie getting some stick from a Neanderthal on BBC 2 last night.

I thought our passing was good all night but it was only effective when they tired and space became free all over the pitch as they just couldn't close down.

The second half was so one sided that if it had been boxing the referee would have stopped the contest !
    Sam TBF he infuriates me with his inconsistencies, his had a good season, I wouldn't say great as he has  not performed week in week out. Yesterday I cant actually remember him tracking back towards our box once, it was like he knew I was going to give him shit 😅. People always tend to defend him, yet jump on the back of the likes of Leaburn and Kirk, who I must admit has massively underperformed for us, but Jesus, he aint as bad as some make out.

Leaburn has a strike rate of 1 in 3 at 20 years old, his been played out of position more than a couple of times this season and has had a couple of shit performances, but what's CBT's excuses? His played in her preferred position all season, has been given consistent game time, freedom to attack and not defend by the looks of things, so what else can we do to see consistency with him? 
    It's getting a bit weird now. CBT has been involved in 41% of all our league goals this season, I think he might be doing ok for consistency..
    More consistent than any other winger in the league

Anyway @cafcdaz I thought your mates told you that you just have a history of not liking flair players and wingers!
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    One thing I did notice last night, Leaburns whole body language and facial expressions, didn’t seem overly happy at all, even after scoring.
    Think that was about the opposition. Leaburn was proper fired up and celebrating goals with the rest of them at Pompey. Wouldn’t look into it that much.
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Wonder if Charlton will go in for Lisbie. Looks a talent, and surely he would jump at the chance?
    I am amazed at how many people seem to be seriously thinking that he would be any use at our level.
    Wasn't he with Watford as a youth though?

There's certainly some skill there, and he might (I think he would) be worth a trial to see what he's capable of.
  • Options
    DA9 said:
    One thing I did notice last night, Leaburns whole body language and facial expressions, didn’t seem overly happy at all, even after scoring.
    Think that was about the opposition. Leaburn was proper fired up and celebrating goals with the rest of them at Pompey. Wouldn’t look into it that much.
    McGrandles aside I should say lol
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I do think that Asimile needs to reduce the amount of times he cuts back once he has cleared the defender. First time crosses work. Miles is always going to be a threat with those first time crosses.
  • Options
    Bit of a mental stat.

Our xG last night for the replay was 2.32. We scored six.

Our xG at the Valley was 3.16. We scored one.
  • Options
    Bit of a mental stat.

https://youtube.com/shorts/AYugAFifJII?si=SdCzwueXnFLRhq6F
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Scoham said:
    Bit of a mental stat.

Fuel for the xDoubters
    Looks much more reasonable when you say our total across the two ties was 5.48 and we scored seven.

It all tends to even out over a period of matches… :-)
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Wonder if Charlton will go in for Lisbie. Looks a talent, and surely he would jump at the chance?
    I am amazed at how many people seem to be seriously thinking that he would be any use at our level.
    I’m not writing him off but his name helps a lot, I’ve not seen anyone suggest any of their other players have potential despite some probably performing equally well.
  • Options
    Was out last night and paid very little attention to the game while it was actually happening.
    Watched the 90mins back this morning, not sure whether it was the lack of anxiety about going 30 oddmins without scoring but I thought we were about as comfortable as we could have been.
    The pitch was poor and we adapted pretty well.
    Thought most players did ok, it must be hard to get up for a game like that. It was odd and I think it's a legacy of Cray Valley being a proper minnow and most fans hangers on, but there was zero atmosphere and much like the game at the Valley, where the number of Cray fans was impressive their crowd was silent.
    Nice to hear an honest assessment from the Cray Manager who gave us a bit of praise and admitted they could have conceded a few more.
    I actually thought the BBC coverage was pretty good and no ridiculous bias towards Cray. Even Danny Murphy gave Dobson and May some praise.
    Ultimately it's a game we could have done without, but Cray made a few bob and Alfie bumped his goals total up so it's all good.
    Just a shame that the "reward" for getting through is a trip to the bin dippers and that proxy stand.

As we have no game this weekend, as Appleton said, having this game yesterday wasn't a disaster. No injuries, TV money and 6 goals .
  • Options
    Scoham said:

He would have always been a couple of minutes behind the live play with the TV delay...but needs must when the devil bites yer arse...
  • Options
    seth plum said:
    DA9 said:
    Thought the BBC commentary was amateurish at best, cliched, pun heavy, and they were clearly desperate for an upset.
    What annoyed me was the moron below the tv gantry shouting “fecking hit him” every time one of our players went down that side, also shouting “diving c*** “ at Alfie May.
    Glad we smashed them now, just to annoy the hangers on and mentally challenged that were there.
    The fact that Murphy looked cold and had to lower himself to visit that level of ground pleased me, no doubt his wife asked him about the catering on offer and will be complaining on social media anytime soon!
    Funniest thing for me was seeing someone on MPA in the background flicking their light on and off rapidly to get on the TV

I thought the commentator did his best considering how one sided the match was once they had run themselves out. He had done some homework on Charlton's recent form, and got a good mention of our academy players on the pitch and the success it has. All good PR on TV for the club.
    Always gonna get a bit of the underdog bias, and yes when the match fizzled out for Cray there was less to talk about.
    Couldn’t say Erith properly though.
    That really wound me up
  • Options
    Bit of a mental stat.

No we scored 2. 

Kind of adds to the point that xG is a bit of a shit stat at times. 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I think you'll find that xG comparison shows the difference between our first team and kirk
  • Options
    Chunes said:
    CAFCDAZ said:
    Calm down everybody especially @CAFCDAZ you will have blood pressure with your persecution of Corey Blackett-Taylor. He has been excellent this season even if he has gone AWOL in the last two matches which may be because he has been told to go inside when Edun overlaps and it's not quite working. CBT needs space to work in and in the 1st half the low block made this difficult. 

Not quite sure with the body language of Miles Leaburn at the moment but it's the polar opposite to May and Dobson who play with a smile on their faces and enjoy every second of being a pro footballer which is a tough business with the abuse they can get online or at the ground as I heard Alfie getting some stick from a Neanderthal on BBC 2 last night.

I thought our passing was good all night but it was only effective when they tired and space became free all over the pitch as they just couldn't close down.

The second half was so one sided that if it had been boxing the referee would have stopped the contest !
    Sam TBF he infuriates me with his inconsistencies, his had a good season, I wouldn't say great as he has  not performed week in week out. Yesterday I cant actually remember him tracking back towards our box once, it was like he knew I was going to give him shit 😅. People always tend to defend him, yet jump on the back of the likes of Leaburn and Kirk, who I must admit has massively underperformed for us, but Jesus, he aint as bad as some make out.

Leaburn has a strike rate of 1 in 3 at 20 years old, his been played out of position more than a couple of times this season and has had a couple of shit performances, but what's CBT's excuses? His played in her preferred position all season, has been given consistent game time, freedom to attack and not defend by the looks of things, so what else can we do to see consistency with him? 
    It's getting a bit weird now. CBT has been involved in 41% of all our league goals this season, I think he might be doing ok for consistency..
    More consistent than any other winger in the league

Anyway @cafcdaz I thought your mates told you that you just have a history of not liking flair players and wingers!
    Don't mean I can't still have a pop Chunes. Honestly I don't get the love for him, he pisses me off more than any other player, kirk included 😤 
  • Options
    aliwibble said:
    Who was Lisbie Jnr giving verbals to in the corner after he scored the pen?
    He looked genuinely angry.
    Somebody said he was a shit dancer  :#
    Given the discussion on the telly after the game, it sounds like his dad agreed :)
    Kevin Lisbie’s whole demeanour in the post match chat was very odd. He seemed moody, even pissed off to me. I really thought he’d be buzzing and bursting with pride at his son scoring their goal, but he behaved like they’d had a bust up or something. Even when Kyrell left after being interviewed, Kevin just gave him a polite handshake, no smiles, hugs, pats on the back or any indication of pride. 
    I reckon if it had been me I’d have been waxing lyrical about my boy and letting him know how proud of him I was, but he didn’t even really say very much that was positive. 
    I’m sure he is very proud, I just don’t think he showed it after the game. I just found it all a bit weird. 
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Having watched the 'penalty' incident again, does anyone else think that after his initial balls up,Walker pulled a bit of a flanker on the ref? If you watch it, after he kicks Lisbie in the bojangles,he steps back into the area,where Lisbie was laying,therefore giving the officials the impression the whole thing occurred inside the box =The ref gives a pen and books him rather than a red and a free kick for outside. Maybe i'm giving him too much credit🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    Having watched the 'penalty' incident again, does anyone else think that after his initial balls up,Walker pulled a bit of a flanker on the ref? If you watch it, after he kicks Lisbie in the bojangles,he steps back into the area,where Lisbie was laying,therefore giving the officials the impression the whole thing occurred inside the box =The ref gives a pen and books him rather than a red and a free kick for outside. Maybe i'm giving him too much credit🤷‍♂️
    Think you're crediting Walker with too much brains.
    Ihalf expected him to go heehaw, heehaw when the ref walked up to him
  • Options
    Think you're crediting Walker with too much brains.
    Ihalf expected him to go heehaw, heehaw when the ref walked up to him
    Thought i probably was😂