Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+post p21): Cray Valley PM vs Charlton Athletic: FAC1 Replay Wed 15th Nov 2023 | 19:45

So, we go again in our attempt to reach the dizzy heights of the second round of the FA Cup in this long awaited replay against Cray Valley Paper Mills, with the prize of a trip down the A2 to Priestfield with Gillingham awaiting the winners....sorry I mean Charlton..🙄
Looking forward to getting the job done at the second time of asking, but fully expect Cray to score (hopefully only once) at the same time, just need to start strong and then change it when the game is won, no more of this reserve (Kirk) stuff please...
So, The Battle of The Quaggy it is...

Michael Appleton has made five changes for tonight’s Emirates FA Cup first round replay against Cray Valley PM.

Sam Walker, Nathan Asiimwe, Lucas Ness, Conor McGrandles and Scott Fraser all come into the starting XI following Saturday’s 2-2 draw at Portsmouth, with Tennai Watson, Louie Watson and Tyreece Campbell named on the bench. Ashley Maynard-Brewer and Michael Hector are away on international duty with Australia and Jamaica respectively.

Meanwhile, academy prospects Toby Bower and Micah Mbick are named in a senior squad for the first time.

Charlton are likely to line-up in a 4-3-3 formation with Asiimwe, Ness, Lloyd Jones and Tayo Edun starting in front of Walker.

Captain George Dobson, who celebrates his 26th birthday today, is joined in midfield by Scottish duo McGrandles and Fraser, with Alfie May, Miles Leaburn and Corey Blackett-Taylor continuing as an attacking trio.

Tennai Watson, Louie Watson, Tyreece Campbell, Bower and Mbick are joined on the bench by Henry Molyneux, Harvey Kedwell, Chem Campbell and Slobodan Tedić.

Charlton: Walker; Asiimwe, Ness, Jones, Edun; McGrandles, Dobson (c), Fraser; May, Leaburn, Blackett-Taylor

Substitutes: Molyneux, T.Watson, Bower, Kedwell, L.Watson, C.Campbell, T.Campbell, Tedić, Mbick

Well, what a goal scoring front three starting, if we can't get this job done now, then I give up, CBT should tear them up, now go win this bloody game...

Comments

• Options
    Who's the casualties from the original draw then? 
  • Options
    Really pleased to see Bower on the bench, given how highly rated he is amongst those who watch the Academy - Hopefully he gets some minutes.

Not surprised to see a strong line up, what with the International break, this should allow the likes of CBT to remain sharp

Kirk's Charlton career is over though, unless he's injured 
  • Options
    Surprised to see Mbick with the first team , nice surprise to see him and Toby Bower involved. Credit to Appleton for putting out that starting XI too. 
  • Options
    sam3110 said:
    Who's the casualties from the original draw then? 
    Thomas... Tedic... Kirk... C. Campbell?
  • Options
    Thomas surely international
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    Surprised to see Mbick with the first team , nice surprise to see him and Toby Bower involved. Credit to Appleton for putting out that starting XI too. 
    Yeah surprised he's ahead of Casey... Unless he's at Cockfosters for the U21s
  • Options
    If he had started with that line up on bonfire night we wouldn't be in this situation this evening.
    What was the problem with drawing and playing tonight in the first place, apart from a few fans getting a bit bashful, although that seems easily done these days

We don't have a game on the weekend, so its a chance for the players to keep match fit... Whilst helping out a local team financially. 

OH BUT THE EMBARRASSMENT!! 
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    MarcusH26 said:

Would expect Casey is with the U21s , will be interesting to see what their lineup is because I'd have expected Mbick,Kedwell and Bower all to be at Cockfosters
  • Options
    No CB cover on bench? Bakrin injured or not even fancied as backup?
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Would expect Casey is with the U21s , will be interesting to see what their lineup is because I'd have expected Mbick,Kedwell and Bower all to be at Cockfosters
    Any idea what type of Striker Mbick is? 
  • Options
    Excellent, so we can see who's on the naughty list from this. Kirk is obviously not popular, and with good reason. Is Abankwah on international duty? Otherwise may as well send him home now. I'm guessing it's Abankwah, Thomas, Hector and Anderson away on international duty, so from that it's Chem and Tedic who have been sat down to watch how they might do it a bit better. That front three is absolutely horrible to put up against a non-league side, hopefully we'll be able to get a good few goals to the good early on and take them off as we go.
  • Options
    Glad that Kyrell Lisbie is playing for Cray tonight. 

Feared the worst for him in the original tie, given he looked distraught at having to go off at the Valley - Presumed it was because of injury 
  • Options
    MarcusH26 said:
    MarcusH26 said:

Any idea what type of Striker Mbick is? 
    Promising.
    Confident at the level he has been at, big strong boy.
    Can finish.
  • Options
    If he had started with that line up on bonfire night we wouldn't be in this situation this evening.
    What was the problem with drawing and playing tonight in the first place, apart from a few fans getting a bit bashful, although that seems easily done these days

We don't have a game on the weekend, so its a chance for the players to keep match fit... Whilst helping out a local team financially. 

Just called having mates and pride in our club.
  • Options
    Would someone mind giving a brief review of the academy players named. Position type of player. Thanks.
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    ValleyBen said:

Just called having mates and pride in our club.
    You should try being a little less touchy then shouldn't you :D

We all have pride in our club, but some of us are at least able to respect the opposition.

Makes me laugh given how pissed off fans got on here, when Mowbray said that Middlesbrough (?) said that they were a bigger club than us... and they should be beating the likes of us
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Mbick is a new name for me. I assume they've gone with him, rather than an U21 striker, as the U21s are playing tonight and we also want to win that match.
  • Options
    Do think it's a bit mad playing May for this, Leaburn up top and one of the Campbell's would surely be enough. Anyway fingers crossed all come through unscathed. COYA
  • Options
    Guess if there wasn't a U21 game we might have seen Rylah in the squad too , but I completely understand the U21s want their first choice front 3 tonight. 
  • Options
    Nearly made it BUT the dingy I was in got swept out to Sutcliffe Park...

C'mon you Addicks!
    Maybe you could get a tow from Golfie's Yacht...🙄
  • Options
    a) will Kevin Lisbie be on TV?
    b) how long before the Liverpool hattrick is mentioned?