Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

MATCH THREAD (+post p21): Cray Valley PM vs Charlton Athletic: FAC1 Replay Wed 15th Nov 2023 | 19:45

Comments

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    Good run out for McGrandles. Worked well with Dobson, and his pass and neat footwork setup Campbell's goal
    You saw him run?
    Musta been watching a different game

Yeah you probably were Billy, he also started the move for May's second goal. Fact is, he played well, most posters on here seem to agree, have to wait to see if Appleton retains that midfield for a league game. 
  • Options
    Thought the coverage on BBC was pretty good. Nice to see Lisbie get a plug in for Charlton TV. Also great that Danny Murphy looked frozen by the end, ahh well not to worry.
    Murphy really doesn’t like to mention/be reminded that he played for the Addicks, does he?

Thought Lisbie sized him up well with his comment about doing all the hard work scoring when Murphy had put the corner in (comments about a clip of them player together at Charlton)
    You are right though, think he likes to be seen as a Liverpool player. Perhaps easier for bragging rights with Shearer and Lineker back at the beeb.
    To be fair, it's the club he played most for, and had most success at. 249 games for Liverpool is a decent number.

In the same way, Lisbie is described as a former Charlton player when he played a lot of his football at the likes of Colchester and Orient later on in his career

He's still a bit of a knob though... 😉
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Thought the coverage on BBC was pretty good. Nice to see Lisbie get a plug in for Charlton TV. Also great that Danny Murphy looked frozen by the end, ahh well not to worry.
    Murphy really doesn’t like to mention/be reminded that he played for the Addicks, does he?

Thought Lisbie sized him up well with his comment about doing all the hard work scoring when Murphy had put the corner in (comments about a clip of them player together at Charlton)
    You are right though, think he likes to be seen as a Liverpool player. Perhaps easier for bragging rights with Shearer and Lineker back at the beeb.
    To be fair, it's the club he played most for, and had most success at. 249 games for Liverpool is a decent number.

In the same way, Lisbie is described as a former Charlton player when he played a lot of his football at the likes of Colchester and Orient later on in his career
    Sure I've heard John Barnes speak about us a couple of times and he was positive and actually came across proud that he'd played here. Depends on the person I guess. 
  • Options
    Bailey said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    Good run out for McGrandles. Worked well with Dobson, and his pass and neat footwork setup Campbell's goal
    You saw him run?

Yeah you probably were Billy, he also started the move for May's second goal. Fact is, he played well, most posters on here seem to agree, have to wait to see if Appleton retains that midfield for a league game. 
    Well would be pushing it a bit.

He was perfectly fine, but hardly stood out against lowly opposition, other than falling over a couple of times in the first 10 minutes.
  • Options
    Wonder if Charlton will go in for Lisbie. Looks a talent, and surely he would jump at the chance?
    I hope not. The way he cried in the first leg then the way he celebrated the goal made me think his temperament needs maturing a bit
  • Options
    Calm down everybody especially @CAFCDAZ you will have blood pressure with your persecution of Corey Blackett-Taylor. He has been excellent this season even if he has gone AWOL in the last two matches which may be because he has been told to go inside when Edun overlaps and it's not quite working. CBT needs space to work in and in the 1st half the low block made this difficult. 

Not quite sure with the body language of Miles Leaburn at the moment but it's the polar opposite to May and Dobson who play with a smile on their faces and enjoy every second of being a pro footballer which is a tough business with the abuse they can get online or at the ground as I heard Alfie getting some stick from a Neanderthal on BBC 2 last night.

I thought our passing was good all night but it was only effective when they tired and space became free all over the pitch as they just couldn't close down.

The second half was so one sided that if it had been boxing the referee would have stopped the contest !
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Bailey said:
    Billy_Mix said:
    You saw him run?

Well would be pushing it a bit.

He was perfectly fine, but hardly stood out against lowly opposition, other than falling over a couple of times in the first 10 minutes.
    Don't think there was anything unique in that one, the pitch was very soft, and we struggled a lot to gain a decent foothold, clearly they were more used to the pitch...
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    The penalty was confirmed by the lino. He was right in front of us and the ref looked over to him for confirmation. He was also the lino that disallowed our goal in the 1st half v Fleetwood in Sept
    He’s probably a Nigel or a Spanner, hope you bent his ear mate 😉.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    CafcWest said:
    Surprised not much mention on here of Fraser.  Thought he had one of his best games for a while.  Was always available got a great assist for Alfie's second and I even noticed him putting in a few tackles and tracking back.  Looked fitter than he has for some time.  He is, IMO, our most creative and willing to take a few risks.
    Second half he was good, looked non league in the first. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    Wonder if Charlton will go in for Lisbie. Looks a talent, and surely he would jump at the chance?
    I am amazed at how many people seem to be seriously thinking that he would be any use at our level.
    me too, I know professional football is brutal but he was released for a reason. There’s also a reason his twin was picked up by Brentford and he wasn’t. He played pretty well in both games and probably is worthy of a higher level than Cray Valley but that doesn’t mean he’s of the standard to make it at L1 level. The two FA cup games will have been great motivators for him and I doubt he plays like that every match 
  • Options
    I enjoyed the game and thought the BBC commentary was ok although laughed when they started talking about Cray picking up additional fans from other clubs (they noticed the spanners flag behind one of the goals). Cray may pick up more attendees in the future (I hope they do) but they will probably be Charlton supporters (maybe this Saturday) given their ground is smack bang in the middle of Charlton supporting country.

Apples got the side about right for the night. Perhaps his only mistake, which he made right at half time, was starting with CBT. Was he sick, injured or is saving himself for the exit door? He certainly came up against a right back who was err no nonsense in his approach. Also a heavy narrow pitch wasn't going to suit his game, Edun kept on running into his path and Fraser was not at the races in the first half. Right for him to depart at half time but one wonders what damage he might have done if coming on in the final 30 minutes against a flagging Cray side. 

Alfie keeps doing Alfie things and whilst a few were unsettled by the surroundings, he looked like a pig in shit back at a non league ground. Great birthday strike from our captain and congratulations to young Micah on scoring on debut.
  • Options
    CafcWest said:
    Surprised not much mention on here of Fraser.  Thought he had one of his best games for a while.  Was always available got a great assist for Alfie's second and I even noticed him putting in a few tackles and tracking back.  Looked fitter than he has for some time.  He is, IMO, our most creative and willing to take a few risks.
    Shame he wasn't able to finish with the same aplomb as Alfie for the sixth, before Mbick tucked in the rebound...
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Rossman92 said:
    Will be shocked if Cray Valley aren’t promoted 
    They have had issues with their ground not meeting the criteria for the next level up. Hence the money will be really useful in improving their ground.
    What's the criteria for the next level up?

I'd have thought if it was deemed ok to host a live tv game against a league one side then it would surely be ok for tier 7.
    Moving from 4 divisions below the league to 3 needs an increase in capacity to 2000 instead of 1300, 250 seats not 150, total places under cover including terraces to accommodate 500 not 300 and an extra turnstile. They need to be able to segregate away supporters, but don't have to actually do it unless there's a high-risk game (I guess they fixed that specific issue in the past week). There's a load of other stuff, but those are the expensive bits. 
    1300 capacity to 2000 capacity... 150 seats to 250... it's mental when the club is only getting 120 for a home game.
  • Options
    Love Alfie May and after hearing him talk I love him even more!
    I can imagine that had Alfie not made the break into the EFL, he would have played there last night in non league with the same appetite. 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    I can imagine that had Alfie not made the break into the EFL, he would have played there last night in non league with the same appetite. 
    I mean he literally did for Edith and Belvedere when he was younger 
  • Options
    Mbick spoke very well there

agree about Miles, something defo not right with him at the moment
    Think his head has been turned, personally think there is a deal in place, expect him to be off in January.
    Agree with you on that.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    Billy_Mix said:
    You saw him run?

Rot. He played ok & certainly put in effort. 
  • Options
    Croydon said:
    I am amazed at how many people seem to be seriously thinking that he would be any use at our level.
    I don't think there are many people that do tbf mate, just people who think he's worth a punt as he's quite young and looked useful plus the Charlton link. 

Aribo and Lookman were both acquired playing a similar level of football as development players and both worked their way into the first team.

There's always going to be players operating at a lower league level than they should be, no one can confidently say that Lisbie won't climb the football pyramid 
  • Options
    Lisbie will get a move to a higher club, though that might be a higher non league one. Even the likes of Dartford and Welling are 2 divisions higher than Cray.
  • Options
    Watched last night with a Crewe fan, he found it hilarious Murphy managed to talk more about his time playing at Crewe than Charlton. 
  • Options
    Ferryman said:
    Well thank goodness that didn’t happen don’t think we’d have got through the first game if Alfie was playing for them!
  • Options
    Watched last night with a Crewe fan, he found it hilarious Murphy managed to talk more about his time playing at Crewe than Charlton. 
    To be fair his time at Crewe, a lower division club with a great academy, was sadly more relevant to Charlton now than his experience of playing for us in the Premier League...
  • Options
    You'd have to say it's absolutely mental that May didn't square the ball to Leaburn instead of shooting for his second goal. Yes, it went in, somehow, but that was far from the percentage play.
  • Options
    Calm down everybody especially @CAFCDAZ you will have blood pressure with your persecution of Corey Blackett-Taylor. He has been excellent this season even if he has gone AWOL in the last two matches which may be because he has been told to go inside when Edun overlaps and it's not quite working. CBT needs space to work in and in the 1st half the low block made this difficult. 

Not quite sure with the body language of Miles Leaburn at the moment but it's the polar opposite to May and Dobson who play with a smile on their faces and enjoy every second of being a pro footballer which is a tough business with the abuse they can get online or at the ground as I heard Alfie getting some stick from a Neanderthal on BBC 2 last night.

I thought our passing was good all night but it was only effective when they tired and space became free all over the pitch as they just couldn't close down.

The second half was so one sided that if it had been boxing the referee would have stopped the contest !
    Sam TBF he infuriates me with his inconsistencies, his had a good season, I wouldn't say great as he has  not performed week in week out. Yesterday I cant actually remember him tracking back towards our box once, it was like he knew I was going to give him shit 😅. People always tend to defend him, yet jump on the back of the likes of Leaburn and Kirk, who I must admit has massively underperformed for us, but Jesus, he aint as bad as some make out.

Leaburn has a strike rate of 1 in 3 at 20 years old, his been played out of position more than a couple of times this season and has had a couple of shit performances, but what's CBT's excuses? His played in her preferred position all season, has been given consistent game time, freedom to attack and not defend by the looks of things, so what else can we do to see consistency with him?