Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• 14 hrs first deal 😉
  • I can’t see us getting into a bidding war for JCH, he might be what we need, but I don’t think we’ll be willing to offer what they are after.
  • I can’t see us getting into a bidding war for JCH, he might be what we need, but I don’t think we’ll be willing to offer what they are after.
    But I’m fairly sure what they are after will significantly change as February approaches 
  • Oooooh but it’s an investment they might get a return , it’s a fucking gazillion to one shot , no one’s getting a return from buying us 
  • Why would anyone want to join us in Jan.
    season is all but dead.
    JCH is a nice idea but we need players in other areas to reduce our goals against first and midfielders who can also contribute to the goals for. 

• Oooooh but it’s an investment they might get a return , it’s a fucking gazillion to one shot , no one’s getting a return from buying us 
    Especially when they actually paid millions to buy us in the first place.
  • Re JCH, we're supposed to have 2 billionaires behind the SMT, if that's true, and, if its true we've had £450k turned down for him yet he might go for £500k, why would our supposedly 'stinking rich'  owners quibble over such a paltry amount, when we would get a proven goalscorer, a perfect foil for Alfie and showing the fans some positive intention? It's beyond me, unless, of course, this "we have money to spend in January" is total BS!
    The difference of £50k is neither here or there to 2 billionaires! It makes no sense!
    If you had a £500k budget for a house and saw a property for £480k but it needed a rewire and a new boiler or a house fully refurbed for £550k, what one would you go for?

£50k is a fair chunk of money regardless of how rich the budget holders are. 

Value over total cost should always be a consideration. 
  • edited December 2023
    I think a physical presence upfront is priority 1. You only need to look at how much better we are on the rare occasions that Chuks plays to see how a good player upfront can transform us.

We need more than the above but should focus most of the budget on a striker that May & CBT can play off.
  • They’ve bought a failing business and it’s difficult to see quite why they would allow the business to continue failing. Perhaps they were told that turning it around wouldn’t cost that much and that’s where we are but by the end of next season that lie (?) will start to become evident. 
  • Sponsored links:

• edited December 2023
    I think all the overselling of the club and academy is likely true but eventually that guilding of the Charlton lily will be found out by the people who really own the club. At that point which in my opinion is at the end of next season should promotion not be achieved then questions will be asked. Both Methven and Scott can be removed from their positions. That’s not part of the gruesome twosomes plan so they have to deliver and soon.
  • Get yer cliché bingo card ready for the transfer month.
    By the way, we all know at the end the window ‘slams shut’, but is there a pithy two word term for when the window opens?

• edited December 2023
    Both Reading and Blackpool looking to sign T Thomas, he too is out of contract in the summer so may get a small fee for him. 
  • No doubt in my mind that Methven sweet talked the investors a narrative of how he and his mates could turn us around on the cheap with their personal football genius.

I am hoping if there is additional money to spend in January that was clearly not there in the summer means the investors have realised that is nonsense but don't wish to pull the plug on their investment like what happened under the Spivs. 
  • CafcSCP said:
    14 hrs first deal 😉
    Bit short. Couldn’t we even afford 6 months til the end of the season? 🤷🏻‍♂️
  • Scoham said:
    CafcSCP said:
    Why would anyone want to join us in Jan.
    season is all but dead.
    JCH is a nice idea but we need players in other areas to reduce our goals against first and midfielders who can also contribute to the goals for. 

Money and game time. Move of convenience and a final decent contract (like Ben Watson). Young players first loan. Loads of possible reasons. We’ll sign players, whether they improve us is another thing completely.

Adding a physical striker when we have none will keep the ball at the right end of the pitch, add more physicality and aggression to our weak team and give us another player who can win a header when defending set pieces. I see it as a priority, but not the only one - we need at least 3 or 4 good signings.
    I get the money thing, but unless that player is from a higher league we don’t want someone looking for game time who’s already lge 1 or below.
    I don’t see how that improves us 
  • Sponsored links:

• Would be nice if JCH signs and gets 20+ goals for us next season but we don't need that, if he chips in with a dozen that should be good enough. 

We already have our BWP(May) we need our Yann which is what I believe JCH will provide. 
  • Lets go and scout him instead, see if we can nab him instead of Peterborough
  • I think all the overselling of the club and academy is likely true but eventually that guilding of the Charlton lily will be found out by the people who really own the club. At that point which in my opinion is at the end of next season should promotion not be achieved then questions will be asked. Both Methven and Scott can be removed from their positions. That’s not part of the gruesome twosomes plan so they have to deliver and soon.
    If this window goes tits up then Scott needs removing.
  • I think all the overselling of the club and academy is likely true but eventually that guilding of the Charlton lily will be found out by the people who really own the club. At that point which in my opinion is at the end of next season should promotion not be achieved then questions will be asked. Both Methven and Scott can be removed from their positions. That’s not part of the gruesome twosomes plan so they have to deliver and soon.
    Don't you mean when it goes tits up. Agree though, he should go.
  • redbuttle said:
    I think all the overselling of the club and academy is likely true but eventually that guilding of the Charlton lily will be found out by the people who really own the club. At that point which in my opinion is at the end of next season should promotion not be achieved then questions will be asked. Both Methven and Scott can be removed from their positions. That’s not part of the gruesome twosomes plan so they have to deliver and soon.
    Apologies for giving them the benefit of the doubt :)
  • redbuttle said:
    Apologies for giving them the benefit of the doubt :)
    We shall see.
  • I would be so frustrated if I was a Peterborough fan, they have this reputation as genius recruiters especially strikers but they never actually gain anything for it unlike clubs with similar reputations like Brentford, Luton & Brighton. 

Stuck as a 3rd/2nd tier yoyo club with no signs of growing as a club. 
  • I wish I was a fly on the wall to any meetings Rodwell, Scott and Charlie are having.
    Not knowing what to do with Appleton and not knowing what to do regards recruitment.
    It is easier to bring players in and hit the ground running when a team is doing well.  Bringing in players when you are struggling is difficult.
  • jbaker said:
    Don’t know how true but have heard Leipzig is almost nailed on for Leaburn in the summer.
    They had a bid turned down by new owners for 3.3 mill .. he not leaving especially now he injured