Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Looks balanced...,and at least they are all on target..🤷‍♂️
  • Slightly on a tangent but will either Hector or Leaburn kick a bill in anger before the end of the season? 
    Highly doubt Leaburn will. Hector should be back early april but with only a few weeks of the season left at that point probably wont have enough time to get match sharp. Wouldn't be surprised if we never see either of them in a Charlton shirt again. Doubt we will renew Hector's deal and I would imagine Leaburn will be sold in the summer.
  • edited February 2
    Taking into consideration our league position and the fact we're mangerless; I don't think it's been a bad window. The biggest disappointment for me is losing CBT and not replacing his creativity, that could come back to bite. No chance we get players like JCH and Collins in our current predicament though, especially when we're competing with Bolton for the latter. Hopefully, the money earmarked for those players will go into the kitty for the summer window. 
  • Slightly on a tangent but will either Hector or Leaburn kick a bill in anger before the end of the season? 
    Hector potentially, I think he's back next month, Leaburn very unlikely unless his recovery ark goes well. Looks like we're gonna take our time until next season with Miles from the sounds coming out of the club 
  • Melrose said:
    Pathetic window. What happened to the money earmarked for JCH and Collins? No wonder fans are sceptical. If May gets injured and/or Ladapo doesn't up his game, then we are totally fucked. We'll done Andy Scott
    I mentioned this when the window opened, they leak big money signings which will never happen. The CBT money has covered the incomings just like the sponsorship money paid for May. I've never heard of most of these new players, maybe there will be a gem in there somewhere otherwise this team is going to struggle. If we appoint a decent manager we might have a chance but that's a big if. Dismal.
    If you’d said on NYE that we’d make the four permanent signings we have (Conor Coventry, two centre backs that have been promoted out of this league in last two seasons and the best (apparently) right back in the league below), I think a lot of people would take that.

Add in Bakinson, Fiorini and Ladapo on loan.

It’s one of the strongest windows in the league.
    If you’d mentioned those seven players on NYE I doubt most of our fanbase would have known more than two of them and that’s being generous in my opinion.
    Only heard of the bloke from Ipswich....can't recall his name though.
  • Personally, I am not worried if this new managerial appointment isn't completed by the weekend, or even for another week for that matter.

I would rather they take their time, do there due diligence, regardless of how long it takes, they have to get this one bang on for me.

In terms of players, hoping for a wing back additions, another striker or whatever, is simply just a fans wish in my opinion. I am not suggesting we don't need those positions by the way, I'm just saying. We as fans have nothing to back them wishes up on at the moment. Were just assuming 3-5-2 for instance.

For all we know, the manager could be in that boardroom discussing this right now.
    - Telling the board exactly what he doesn't want or even better, what he does.
    - Based on his preferred formations, discussing with current coaching staff where they think we might be short in terms of quality right now.
    - Then going through his own ideas for plugging them gaps.
    - Basically assisting the recruitment team before the appointment is announced to the media.
    - Rubber stamping the deals that may already be in the pipeline etc etc

Today could be a busy day if that is the case. The appointment could well be delayed for this reason.
    Just going to re-post this. Seems to have rung slightly true :)
  • I’m giving this window. … 5 out of 10.
    Massively disappointing we were out muscled for JCH and Collins, and lost CBT.

We was out muscled .. JCH as Barry fry said had offer that no one else would offer him but he got other plans for the summer .. and Collins we match the bid and offered better terms then Bolton so we did not miss out on financial side 
    Highly doubt Leaburn will. Hector should be back early april but with only a few weeks of the season left at that point probably wont have enough time to get match sharp. Wouldn't be surprised if we never see either of them in a Charlton shirt again. Doubt we will renew Hector's deal and I would imagine Leaburn will be sold in the summer.
    Might be easier to keep hold of Leaburn seeing as he's not played a lot this season
  • Sponsored links:

• MarcusH26 said:
    I'd happily take Gayle until the end of the season tbh. Would be a pretty useful option to have. 

Think bar the lack of a No10 I like most of the window , the owners have clearly realised the squad wasn't good enough as is and have given the budget to go and correct it with players that are proven at this level. 
    Gayle has spent the past year-and-a-half with Stoke but only managed to find the net three times in 50 matches for the Potters.
  • Melrose said:
    Pathetic window. What happened to the money earmarked for JCH and Collins? No wonder fans are sceptical. If May gets injured and/or Ladapo doesn't up his game, then we are totally fucked. We'll done Andy Scott
    I mentioned this when the window opened, they leak big money signings which will never happen. The CBT money has covered the incomings just like the sponsorship money paid for May. I've never heard of most of these new players, maybe there will be a gem in there somewhere otherwise this team is going to struggle. If we appoint a decent manager we might have a chance but that's a big if. Dismal.
    If you’d said on NYE that we’d make the four permanent signings we have (Conor Coventry, two centre backs that have been promoted out of this league in last two seasons and the best (apparently) right back in the league below), I think a lot of people would take that.

If you’d mentioned those seven players on NYE I doubt most of our fanbase would have known more than two of them and that’s being generous in my opinion.
    Only heard of the bloke from Ipswich....can't recall his name though.
    I’d put that down to a lack of lower league football knowledge than anything else, especially when we’ve came across most of these players a few times.
  • Could Terry Taylor been the answer to our number 10 conundrum.
    I haven't seen enough of him but I thought he was a defensive midfielder?
    Could Terry Taylor been the answer to our number 10 conundrum.
    Yes he is a Coventry/Dobbo type. We don't have an effective 10 in the squad now.
    Might be easier to keep hold of Leaburn seeing as he's not played a lot this season
    Need him to sign a new contract or realistically we will have to sell him this summer 
  • Southbank said:
    Yes he is a Coventry/Dobbo type. We don't have an effective 10 in the squad now.
    Still, that’s probably no worse than having an ineffective 10 in the squad
  • Swisdom said:
    Miles had the same injury as Reece James.  James rested it and then came back too soon and did the same thing again.

We saw that and said "You're having the surgery and we'll fix it properly".  Reece James wishes he'd done the same I believe

For once we are taking our time to get him fixed so I just don't think it's worth the risk - we'll see him next season hopefully.....it will be like having a new signing :-)
    As we should do, rushing players back is never helpful. Leaburn is a big asset for Charlton going forward. 
  • edited February 2
    Slightly on a tangent but will either Hector or Leaburn kick a bill in anger before the end of the season? 
    Not sure. He’ll have to play to prove his fitness after a fairly serious injury. Otherwise I doubt anyone would pay big bucks on a gamble. 
  • edited February 2
    At least we've held on to George...for the time being, just get him to sign up the improved offer of the pay rise and contract extension, fail that Charlton and we have lost our influential captain, stop patting yourself on the back and show your worth...
  • Sponsored links:

• At last the window is over and sentences starting with ‘Understand…’ can settle back to sensible levels (zero unless Fabrizo Romano). 
  • No doubt when we only manage to beat Derby 1-0 on Saturday, people on here will moan that our new players are not good enough 😂
    After this season and his injuries, Leaburn is going nowhere.
  • Melrose said:

Melrose said:

That would indicate our fan base weren’t exactly paying attention in the games then?

most of those players were in league 1 last year
  • esseffect said:
    Melrose said:

Melrose said:

That would indicate our fan base weren’t exactly paying attention in the games then?

most of those players were in league 1 last year
    Most is a bit of a stretch isn’t it although I bow to your superior knowledge. Even if they did play against us and I was there to witness it they obviously didn’t impress me on the day. Sometimes I’ll post on the match thread that I liked the look of the oppo centre half, number 12, so will remember his name but I’m not au fait with every name on the oppositions team sheet.
  • As far as I can see CBT was the only consistent and contributing attacking threat that we have lost, while we appear to have moved away from using wingers, at least for now. On that basis, if I was asked would I like to see Ladapo switch for CBT that switch in formation in mind, I would have said yes all day long and am still confident Ladapo will come good.

Fiorini is allegedly a decent CAM. If true, he will be a missing piece to the jigsaw. If not, we will likely see 3-1-4-2 with a CDM behind two CMs than a 3-5-2 with two CDMs and a CAM. Either way, I had not heard of any of the players we brought in but have liked the glimpses we have seen of REG, Gillesphy, Coventry and Bakinson thus far. Very early days, but I sense a step up in quality from what we have let go and that is what we were demanding. 

Hope the window proves a 7-8/10. At the moment, genuinely it is a ?/10 for me.
  • "Well Jeff that was certainly one of the transfer windows of all time."
  • I didn't expect us to get Collins or anyone similar on a permanent, it's a difficult sell for a player, knowing that at best you just face a dull mid table finish.

Most of the transfers make sense on paper, I still don't understand the Fiorini one, which seems a waste of a loan spot. Yes he's more of a creative midfielder than most of our midfielders, but I'd rather have someone more of a pure No 10/second striker as a loan signing.
  • Better than recent windows as recent windows have been so bad and set a crazy low bar.

8 out, 8 in, so end up with the same numbers but it wasn't numbers but quality that was the issue so that isn't an issue per se.

We lost CBT who I reckon almost everyone would say is a L1 elite player.  We gained Coventry who has the potential to be.

The others mainly look like League One average Joe's with the hope that 2-3 are a bit better than that.  I hope I am wrong and that more of the new chaps prove L1 elite status.

Fingers crossed Aneke is back soon and can last 7-8 games to give us a chance of getting points for safety.

In.                       Out
    Bakinson.          C Campbell
    Fiorini.               Fraser
    Coventry.           CBT
    Ladapo.             Tedic
    Ward.                 Walker
    Ramsey.            Kirk
    Gillesphey.        Abankwah
    REG.                   McGrandles

Will be interesting to see what happens in the summer as we should still have the £6-800K planned to be spent this Jan burning a hole in our pocket.

I would probably call the window a 6.5 out of 10.  Could do better.
    The way I see it is, if I look at the two lists above, in and out, would I want to swap all of them back again, the answer is a resounding no!

I wonder how many 'Elite 8' players, as the board identify, we currently have on the books.