Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

January 2024 Transfer Rumours (D/day starts pg.263)

Comments

• Melrose said:
    Pathetic window. What happened to the money earmarked for JCH and Collins? No wonder fans are sceptical. If May gets injured and/or Ladapo doesn't up his game, then we are totally fucked. We'll done Andy Scott
    I mentioned this when the window opened, they leak big money signings which will never happen. The CBT money has covered the incomings just like the sponsorship money paid for May. I've never heard of most of these new players, maybe there will be a gem in there somewhere otherwise this team is going to struggle. If we appoint a decent manager we might have a chance but that's a big if. Dismal.
    If you’d said on NYE that we’d make the four permanent signings we have (Conor Coventry, two centre backs that have been promoted out of this league in last two seasons and the best (apparently) right back in the league below), I think a lot of people would take that.

Add in Bakinson, Fiorini and Ladapo on loan.

It’s one of the strongest windows in the league.
    Let's not get carried away. There is reason those players are dropping down from the championship and joining a club just above the relegation places. 

We've replaced one of our most attacking players with a few potentially half decent players. Potentially is the problem, these could be the next batch of Kirk's and DJs so saying this is a strong window will only be know in the next few months.

If Jones does come in he has his work cut out that's for sure.

• Apparently Portsmouth might sign Gayle on a free 
  • Melrose said:
    Pathetic window. What happened to the money earmarked for JCH and Collins? No wonder fans are sceptical. If May gets injured and/or Ladapo doesn't up his game, then we are totally fucked. We'll done Andy Scott
    Paying off Appleton perhaps.

And/or not spending money on players for the sake of it and keeping hold of what we’ve got until the summer.
    Far too sensible. Should have spunked it on rubbish so there's more for some to moan about.  :D
  • edited February 2
    Melrose said:
    I mentioned this when the window opened, they leak big money signings which will never happen. The CBT money has covered the incomings just like the sponsorship money paid for May. I've never heard of most of these new players, maybe there will be a gem in there somewhere otherwise this team is going to struggle. If we appoint a decent manager we might have a chance but that's a big if. Dismal.
    If you’d said on NYE that we’d make the four permanent signings we have (Conor Coventry, two centre backs that have been promoted out of this league in last two seasons and the best (apparently) right back in the league below), I think a lot of people would take that.

Callum, I would tend to agree with your analysis but until the new Manager/head coach can get these players to gel and play with some belief, the majority of cafc Fans/critics will point the finger at Andy Scott because he was the man who praised Appleton and chose him.

If Ladapo can get sharper (he has to) and May can find a position where he can still score even if that is playing in the 10 role then Coventry and Dobson can play in tandem with interchanging roles on who makes the runs forward and who holds. 

It's impossible to judge Fiorini at the moment and will Jones 🤞 rate Louie Watson more than Apples ?

16 players each match will endeavour to keep Charlton up and hopefully Kanu can play his part even if it's from the bench with 30 minutes to go, to bring his energy to the side.

The wee Welsh man if he accepts the challenge and wages need to lift the black cloud that is constant over the heart and minds of all cafc fans over the last four seasons.
  • Sponsored links:

• Melrose said:

And so far have the signings made any difference?  Has Ladapo scored ?  Have the defenders kept a clean sheet ?  I'll let you into a secret.....the answer to both of those questions is NO. 

Until the new signings actually do something then the window remains poor & seriously underwhelming. 

Uhhh obviously. They’re new, give them time to prove their worth before saying they’re bad signings.
  • Melrose said:

Callum, I would tend to agree with your analysis but until the new Manager/head coach can get these players to gel and play with some belief, the majority of cafc Fans/critics will point the finger at Andy Scott because he was the man who praised Appleton and chose him.

If Ladapo can get sharper (he has to) and May can find a position where he can still score even if that is playing in the 10 role then Coventry and Dobson can play in tandem with interchanging roles on who makes the runs forward and who holds. 

It's impossible to judge Fiorini at the moment and will Jones 🤞 rate Louie Watson more than Apples ?

16 players each match will endeavour to keep Charlton up and hopefully Kanu can play his part even if it's from the bench with 30 minutes to go, to bring his energy to the side.

The wee Welsh man if he accepts the challenge and wages need to lift the black cloud that is constant over the heart and minds of all cafc fans over the last four seasons.
    I don’t disagree with any of that. The negative sentiment is understandable, I’m just trying to say that it’s really not been that bad of a window.
  • Southbank said:
    Melrose said:

Melrose said:

We have lost 2 attacking midfielders and not replaced them. Where are the goal providers in this squad?
    Losing CBT is a blow but football isn’t played on paper. We still have more than enough goals in our team to climb up the league. It’s conceding the goals that’s the issue that needs urgent attention.
  • Melrose said:

If you’d mentioned those seven players on NYE I doubt most of our fanbase would have known more than two of them and that’s being generous in my opinion.
    Only speaking personally but the only player (of the seven mentioned) I didn’t know before they were signed was Kayne Ramsay this evening.

Coventry, Ladapo, Gillesphey, REG, Fiorini and Bakinson all have good reputations at this level or above and if you kept up with EFL bits and bobs (which not everyone has the time to do) then I think it’d be pretty easy to know who each of these players are.
  • edited February 2
    Melrose said:

Let's not get carried away. There is reason those players are dropping down from the championship and joining a club just above the relegation places. 

We've replaced one of our most attacking players with a few potentially half decent players. Potentially is the problem, these could be the next batch of Kirk's and DJs so saying this is a strong window will only be know in the next few months.

You described them as players you’d never heard of. I just don’t understand what your expectations are. I’m sure if I listed some decent Championship players you’d have not heard of them either - random example, should we not have tried to sign Adam Wharton who’s gone to Palace for £18m?

Perhaps maybe watch them play a few games before saying they’re range of ability is between “half decent” and “DJ or Kirk”.
    I’ll do that but will you do likewise before declaring it a strong window?
    Happy to. With the caveat that I’m aware of what they achieved at their previous clubs, enough to be pleased about them signing for us initially. And that’s all you can go off of when it’s February 1st.

They are humans and so it’s not guaranteed to work out but I can’t see us attracting many better players then the ones we have, given our current predicament.
  • Melrose said:

You described them as players you’d never heard of. I just don’t understand what your expectations are. I’m sure if I listed some decent Championship players you’d have not heard of them either - random example, should we not have tried to sign Adam Wharton who’s gone to Palace for £18m?

Perhaps maybe watch them play a few games before saying they’re range of ability is between “half decent” and “DJ or Kirk”.
    Happy to. With the caveat that I’m aware of what they achieved at their previous clubs, enough to be pleased about them signing for us initially. And that’s all you can go off of when it’s February 1st.

They are humans and so it’s not guaranteed to work out but I can’t see us attracting many better players than the ones we have, given our current predicament.
    I’m aware of what they achieved at their previous clubs too as I was with Fraser, Kirk, DJ, Payne etc etc. As always need to see if they can walk the walk for us.
  • edited February 2
    Melrose said:

They are humans and so it’s not guaranteed to work out but I can’t see us attracting many better players than the ones we have, given our current predicament.
    I’m aware of what they achieved at their previous clubs too as I was with Fraser, Kirk, DJ, Payne etc etc. As always need to see if they can walk the walk for us.
    So does it come down to:

- “Cool we’ve got half a dozen potentially good players on our hands, strong window”
    vs
    - “I’m not saying they’re good players until they do it for my team, bad window”

or am I misunderstanding what everyone is saying? 

Because the latter doesn’t make sense, we could’ve signed Messi, Haaland, Mbappe but until they prove it in a Charlton shirt it’s a a bunch of bad signings…
  • edited February 2
    To me it's a window that wasn't bad, but it's very far away from being good. 

It doesn't really matter how many players we brought in, as they were only replacing the bodies we lost, and we needed the extra bodies regardless. Question marks all over these players, sharpness, match fitness, ability etc. As an example, Coventry looks decent, but it's worth noting, he has less than 60 mens professional appearances. 

I see comparisons to the other teams in the league, but our situation is a bit more unique. If you look at Portsmouth and Bolton for example, they kept the nucleus of their squad, strengthened, and have now primed themselves for a promotion push. Carlisle and Cheltenham are in the mud, have lost their better players, have now done what they can to replace them, and have added more bodies to give themselves a fighting chance.  We on the other hand, lost our prized asset this season and didn't replace him. You could argue Ladapo replaced him, but regardless of CBT leaving, we needed strengthening up top. It's all relevant to clubs ambitions and expectations, Carlisle and Cheltenham probably prepared for relegation and are better equipped for it, it would devastate us on the other hand. 

The biggest move was sacking Appleton, the second was appointing Jones (looking likely) and the third was keeping Dobson (hopefully). These are things that should have been sorted sooner though. Appleton should have been sacked on Boxing Day, that would have given Jones a whole month to navigate a transfer window, now he has to play with the hand dealt.  Luckily, he's a proper coach, and should be able to do the job at hand.

There's still a lot of question marks for me, I believe if these owners (the money men) had any sense, they'd look at Rodwell, Methven and Scott's very recent failures, and consider other options. 

Anyway, I'm a bit calm about it all, as we are getting Jones, if we didn't, this would have been a disaster imo. 
  • Sponsored links:

• I’m giving this window. … 5 out of 10.
    Massively disappointing we were out muscled for JCH and Collins, and lost CBT.

Could we have done that much more on those 3 players though?

JCH - put in a big bid for a guy with 5 months left on his contract. He's decided to stay and see out his contract.
    Collins - put in a big bid but he's chosen a club who look like they're going up.
    CBT - offered him a new deal but he wanted to move back closer to home.

I'm not trying to claim it's been an amazing window, but i don't think the club can be faulted for much on those 3 players. And when you factor in the signings of the likes of Coventry, Ladapo and potentially also getting Jones as manager, it's clear the owners are upping their game. If we are after similar level targets in the summer to JCH and Collins then next season should see us contending at the right end of the table.
    That's a fair assessment Chris. I think we would have all liked, another forward, another number ten or a centre half. Players are coming back to fitness, it remains to be seen for how long with Camara and Chuk's and the loss of CBT will alter the way we play for sure. The positives are there though, Dobson will see the season out, we have options in the right back role hopefully giving Watson a much needed kick up the arse, but in fairness to him his ability to play right or left side is a bonus. The two centre backs in REG and Gillisphey need to bed in and hopefully stem the tide of goals that we concede. Can't knock the signings of Bakinson and Coventry and lets hope Fiorini and Lapado come good. We have got rid of a lot of dead wood, excluding CBT, and brought in better players, we now need a manager to make it work. 
  • I'd happily take Gayle until the end of the season tbh. Would be a pretty useful option to have. 

Think bar the lack of a No10 I like most of the window , the owners have clearly realised the squad wasn't good enough as is and have given the budget to go and correct it with players that are proven at this level. 
  • Don’t think it was a bad window save for CBT heading off but he’s mind was made up. 
    Jones’ arrival could be the most important ‘in’ though.