Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cray Valley replay - TONIGHT 7:45pm - important info for away fans p30

Comments

• Options
    clb74 said:
    Rothko said:
    Milan said:
    I still think it ends up being played at their ground. We’ll see.
    Play it anywhere other than The Valley and it wouldn’t surprise me if Cray Valley ended up losing money on the game even with the TV money. If they only normally play in front of 150 then that doesn’t suggest they will have the infrastructure and facilities in place to accommodate a full house of fans, even if that’s only 800-1000, trying to get into and out of the ground, particularly in an emergency, move around to go to and from wherever they will be standing, go to the toilet etc and accommodate the TV cameras/commentators and crew trucks. If they play at a neutral ground then they will have to hire it.
    I went to their record-breaking attendance match at the end of last season, if memory serves they had 900+ fans there. Clearly they're able to accommodate that sort of number, but a lot hinges on the legal aspects (fire safety and other shit I know nothing about).
    And who prey did they play. Not their very local ex-Premier League club who have c7k Season Ticket holders and almost the same again regular supporters.

Holding it at their place is a recipe for disaster. There will be hundreds of Charlton fans wanting to go, even if it just to "tick off" that they've been to a new ground. And I'm not even thinking about violence or trouble at the match. Anyone heard of the Hillsboro disaster. 
    I'm read some hyperventling horseshit in my time, but this, well, chef kiss good
    I think that reply has just about sealed it for me. Me & Golfie Jnr will go just to say we've been there. Bus ride of 20-30 mins, Maccy's for tea and then bundle in with lots of other ticketless fans. What's not to love. 
    Of course you will

Why wouldn't I ?

I've never been there so new ground 
    Been to our other away cup disasters (Northwich, D&R)
    Its a short bus ride away with a MacDonalds over the road - in fact it will probably be quicker & easier using their loos at half time than any in the ground. 
    Well as long as you've sorted out your food plans, the FA can go ahead and agree to have it played at Cray Valleys ground.
  • Options
    After the sad passing of Seb Lewis I wonder if there are other Charlton fans on huge runs of attendance.  I guess they would have tons of points so likely get in but hope they would be given a certain amount of priority and our tickets don't go to players wives and friends.
    I can't imagine many players wives wanting to stand crammed in like sardines at Badgers on a cold midweek night.
  • Options
    Are they still planning on building a stadium at flamingo park? 

Not suggesting they can do that within the next week or so, just wondered if that was still happening? 
  • Options
    DA9DA9
    edited November 2023
    If it is at MPA, hopefully tickets will go to the hardy few hundred loyal fans, and not the hangers on in the JS last night, the vast majority wouldn’t be able to pick out a CVPM player from 5 yards today
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    I still remember Maidstone away (79 I think).

What a bloody night that was, I will definitely not be going.

• Options
    Off_it said:
    I'm really looking forward to the replay as have got a nice pub crawl planned. Kick off with a couple in the Welcome Inn, then down to Eltham High Street and ticking off the Castle, Man of Kent, Carpenters Arms, Greyhound and finishing up with a few shorts in the Yorkshire Grey before heading to the match. 

Sorted.
    Surely any pub crawl has to involve the Millers in Bexley, given Cray's nickname?

Might not make it to the match if a better offer is on the table 🧐
  • Options
    Off_it said:
    I'm really looking forward to the replay as have got a nice pub crawl planned. Kick off with a couple in the Welcome Inn, then down to Eltham High Street and ticking off the Castle, Man of Kent, Carpenters Arms, Greyhound and finishing up with a few shorts in the Yorkshire Grey before heading to the match. 

Sorted.
    Surely any pub crawl has to involve the Millers in Bexley, given Cray's nickname?

Might not make it to the match if a better offer is on the table 🧐
    Or knees
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    I know you come out with some right royal codswallop at times, but let me check I’m actually getting this right Golfie…

you were INSISTENT you weren’t going to attend the home tie as it may have clashed with your Sunday eating options,

now (after a dire performance) you are equally insistent you are going to the reply to the extent of potentially breaking in the ground! 

You’ve gotta laugh…

yep.......I'm like that.

But then again, Sunday's game kicked-off at 5,30pm. Too early to eat before the game & a bit late to eat afterwards. 

The reply is at 7.45pm. There is a MacDonald's just around the corner. Can eat around 6.30-7pm which is ideal. 

Eating a McDonalds is never ideal.

Although I would accept it as OK before 10.30am.
  • Options
    Is it definitely at Badgers?
  • Options

That was a great night out. Pushing Jock through the fence into the Maidstone fans was a sight to be seen :D
  • Options
    se9addick said:
    Is it definitely at Badgers?

It's Sett to be there.

• Options
    Off_it said:

Sorted.
    Those were the days
  • Options
    I know you come out with some right royal codswallop at times, but let me check I’m actually getting this right Golfie…

you were INSISTENT you weren’t going to attend the home tie as it may have clashed with your Sunday eating options,

now (after a dire performance) you are equally insistent you are going to the reply to the extent of potentially breaking in the ground! 

You’ve gotta laugh…

yep.......I'm like that.

But then again, Sunday's game kicked-off at 5,30pm. Too early to eat before the game & a bit late to eat afterwards. 

The reply is at 7.45pm. There is a MacDonald's just around the corner. Can eat around 6.30-7pm which is ideal. 

Breakfast served until 11am now  B)
  • Options

Nothing wrong with that night, pay on the gate and floodlights failed in the last few minutes of the match. Delayed by about 30 minutes if I recall.
  • Options
    Just spoke to someone connected with the club, the council prior to yesterday have already given them the thumbs up should there be a replay, all down to OB, and bearing in mind the Charlton fans who will be able to get tickets reckon it is job done.
    Council probably said its OK to play at the Valley, but everybody parks at Badgers.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    I'll still be amazed if it is at Badgers
  • Options

Nothing wrong with that night, pay on the gate and floodlights failed in the last few minutes of the match. Delayed by about 30 minutes if I recall.
    Yeah except for the mud and then the Lewis coach breaking down on the way home!
  • Options
    I'll still be amazed if it is at Badgers
    That was my initial thoughts but the Beeb (or whoever's televising) it will do everything to ensure it's played there as that's the story. I'm an old cynic these days but us playing at Badgers is definitely Magic of the Cup!
  • Options

You’ve gotta laugh…

yep.......I'm like that.

Got to admire the fact you plan your match attendance around when you can eat.

Eating at 8pm after the game last night would've been too late, but eating a whole one hour earlier at 7pm for the replay is fine. Make it make sense.
    The fonejacker podcast has a skit on this exact issue 
  • Options
    I just spoke to my mate who was at the Fourth Round Qualifying against Enfield Town at Badgers. He said there were 500 odd there and the fans weren't segregated. Just swappen ends at half time like a normal non league match.
  • Options
    edited November 2023

You’ve gotta laugh…

I don't think he was worried about his Sunday eating options. He had heard there was a qualifier for the 2023 Christmas Rate My Plate Competition on CL.
  • Options
    Good plan Golfie, be curious to see how you get in on the night.

I have pre-emptively purchased one of these on the off chance I can't secure a ticket and want to break and enter without being recognised 

• Options
    edited November 2023

You’ve gotta laugh…

yep.......I'm like that.

Cant see what the issue is here, shurely you should just partake of the exceptional freshly prepared and excellent value meals available from the numerous kiosks around the ground, as recommended by your friendly Burger Boy.
  • Options
    PopIcon said:
    I just spoke to my mate who was at the Fourth Round Qualifying against Enfield Town at Badgers. He said there were 500 odd there and the fans weren't segregated. Just swappen ends at half time like a normal non league match.
     and as we all know Enfield Town are roughly the same size club as us. 
    They had almost 900 at the Sheppy match last season and that's pretty close to capacity.

I think ultimately the decision will be made by the police (not Sting and Stewart Copeland). If they envisage a safety issue then it'll be moved to either Princess Park, Hayes Lane or even The Valley.