Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.
Options

Cray Valley replay - TONIGHT 7:45pm - important info for away fans p30

Comments

• Options
    Some houses in that neck of the woods!
    Right on the A20 though
    Is the papermill on the A2.  :)
  • Options
    Right on the A20 though
    A205
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Rothko said:
    Milan said:
    I still think it ends up being played at their ground. We’ll see.
    Play it anywhere other than The Valley and it wouldn’t surprise me if Cray Valley ended up losing money on the game even with the TV money. If they only normally play in front of 150 then that doesn’t suggest they will have the infrastructure and facilities in place to accommodate a full house of fans, even if that’s only 800-1000, trying to get into and out of the ground, particularly in an emergency, move around to go to and from wherever they will be standing, go to the toilet etc and accommodate the TV cameras/commentators and crew trucks. If they play at a neutral ground then they will have to hire it.
    I went to their record-breaking attendance match at the end of last season, if memory serves they had 900+ fans there. Clearly they're able to accommodate that sort of number, but a lot hinges on the legal aspects (fire safety and other shit I know nothing about).
    And who prey did they play. Not their very local ex-Premier League club who have c7k Season Ticket holders and almost the same again regular supporters.

Holding it at their place is a recipe for disaster. There will be hundreds of Charlton fans wanting to go, even if it just to "tick off" that they've been to a new ground. And I'm not even thinking about violence or trouble at the match. Anyone heard of the Hillsboro disaster. 
    I'm read some hyperventling horseshit in my time, but this, well, chef kiss good
    I think that reply has just about sealed it for me. Me & Golfie Jnr will go just to say we've been there. Bus ride of 20-30 mins, Maccy's for tea and then bundle in with lots of other ticketless fans. What's not to love. 
    Of course you will

Why wouldn't I ?

I've never been there so new ground 
    Been to our other away cup disasters (Northwich, D&R)
    Its a short bus ride away with a MacDonalds over the road - in fact it will probably be quicker & easier using their loos at half time than any in the ground. 
    You're talking about getting into the ground without a ticket.
    There's more chance of @ElfsborgAddick buying a beer and the odds on winning the lottery are less than that.
    What do you think would be done if 2000 Charlton fans turned up & tried to get in ? How many Old Bill would there be ? Serious question. 

Remember, there were 6700 there yesterday. 
    Play the game at The Valley, midweek, and the crowd would be double that at least because they’d fill the JS stand this time and more Charlton fans will get along, plus it would be a game that would appeal to neutrals. Cray Valley will probably be turning down another £30k or more by playing the game at their ground. That sort of money added to the tv cash could be the difference to take that club to a much higher level, literally. 
    Cray have already hit the jackpot by a) drawing us, b) it being live on tv, c) earning a replay, d) the replay also being on tv.

Whilst i'm sure they would love even more money, i don't think gate receipts are the big earner for them here. And what they will already make from this tie probably sets them up for the next couple of years. If they recruit well they should potentially now be able to spend their way from tier 8 to tier 6.
    The question is, will they reach tier six before us? 
  • Options
    Looks like allotments top left, that’s where I’ll be heading 
    "In the 38th minute Charlie Kirk had to be treated after being pelted with carrots thrown from the allotments behind the goal."
    Is that not him running away in the bottom right corner?
    That's too fast to be Kirk
  • Options
    Can’t believe someone in Eltham has a swimming pool in their garden!
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Rothko said:
    Milan said:
    Play it anywhere other than The Valley and it wouldn’t surprise me if Cray Valley ended up losing money on the game even with the TV money. If they only normally play in front of 150 then that doesn’t suggest they will have the infrastructure and facilities in place to accommodate a full house of fans, even if that’s only 800-1000, trying to get into and out of the ground, particularly in an emergency, move around to go to and from wherever they will be standing, go to the toilet etc and accommodate the TV cameras/commentators and crew trucks. If they play at a neutral ground then they will have to hire it.
    I went to their record-breaking attendance match at the end of last season, if memory serves they had 900+ fans there. Clearly they're able to accommodate that sort of number, but a lot hinges on the legal aspects (fire safety and other shit I know nothing about).
    And who prey did they play. Not their very local ex-Premier League club who have c7k Season Ticket holders and almost the same again regular supporters.

Holding it at their place is a recipe for disaster. There will be hundreds of Charlton fans wanting to go, even if it just to "tick off" that they've been to a new ground. And I'm not even thinking about violence or trouble at the match. Anyone heard of the Hillsboro disaster. 
    I'm read some hyperventling horseshit in my time, but this, well, chef kiss good
    I think that reply has just about sealed it for me. Me & Golfie Jnr will go just to say we've been there. Bus ride of 20-30 mins, Maccy's for tea and then bundle in with lots of other ticketless fans. What's not to love. 
    Of course you will

Why wouldn't I ?

Its a short bus ride away with a MacDonalds over the road - in fact it will probably be quicker & easier using their loos at half time than any in the ground. 
    There's more chance of @ElfsborgAddick buying a beer and the odds on winning the lottery are less than that.
    What do you think would be done if 2000 Charlton fans turned up & tried to get in ? How many Old Bill would there be ? Serious question. 

Play the game at The Valley, midweek, and the crowd would be double that at least because they’d fill the JS stand this time and more Charlton fans will get along, plus it would be a game that would appeal to neutrals. Cray Valley will probably be turning down another £30k or more by playing the game at their ground. That sort of money added to the tv cash could be the difference to take that club to a much higher level, literally. 
    Cray have already hit the jackpot by a) drawing us, b) it being live on tv, c) earning a replay, d) the replay also being on tv.

Whilst i'm sure they would love even more money, i don't think gate receipts are the big earner for them here. And what they will already make from this tie probably sets them up for the next couple of years. If they recruit well they should potentially now be able to spend their way from tier 8 to tier 6.
    They got 2k people interested enough to turn up at The Valley to support them and help them earn a replay and they are going to reward that support by basically telling two-thirds of them they are no longer wanted for the replay. It’s a bit like they are just ‘customers’ and we all know how that approach works out.
    So because you go to one game it should give you the right to go to another?
    Makes me laugh.

Isn’t that how it usually works or are you saying that after your first game you weren’t  automatically welcomed back ?
    The ground holds a 1000.
    Do you think Cray should move the game for the other 1000 fans who have turned up for a one off game?

• Options
    Turn the ground 90 degrees and we could have ourselves  a new ground.
  • Options
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    clb74 said:
    Rothko said:
    Milan said:

Of course you will

Why wouldn't I ?

They got 2k people interested enough to turn up at The Valley to support them and help them earn a replay and they are going to reward that support by basically telling two-thirds of them they are no longer wanted for the replay. It’s a bit like they are just ‘customers’ and we all know how that approach works out.
    So because you go to one game it should give you the right to go to another?
    Makes me laugh.

Isn’t that how it usually works or are you saying that after your first game you weren’t  automatically welcomed back ?
    The ground holds a 1000.
    Do you think Cray should move the game for the other 1000 fans who have turned up for a one off game?

Of course not, ultimately it’s their problem not ours, though how they identify which 1,000+ of those that went to the game Sunday they don’t want could be a bit tricky if they don’t want to blow a golden opportunity to encourage potential fans to go to more games.

• Options
    Having had time to think about it, I think there's a case for putting the exact same team out. 

- It protects our better players 
    - It provides consequences for the lack of effort first time around 
    - It provides a chance at redemption 

There is, of course, a pretty bug argument against - we could lose! But...its not out of the question that Appleton could put those players back in again 
  • Options
    Don't blame them at all for wanting it at their place. They'll make a fortune (for them) out of the TV money, and by the time they pay the rent for an alternative venue, probably wouldn't make much more on gate receipts. 
  • Options
    Someone from the Cray Valley Staff has been on the SE9 Facebook Group asking if anyone can loan the club some sort of measuring tool as they have to "prepare a report" for the Council. Assume Greenwich and the Police are asking for assurances around entrances and segregation.
  • Options
    All this reminds me: whatever happened to Greenwich Borough? I thought they were Eltham's non-league club.
  • Options
    Someone from the Cray Valley Staff has been on the SE9 Facebook Group asking if anyone can loan the club some sort of measuring tool as they have to "prepare a report" for the Council. Assume Greenwich and the Police are asking for assurances around entrances and segregation.
    It'll be a short report then.

There's one entrance, two turnstiles and i'd say very little (if any) hope of segregation.
  • Sponsored links:

• Options
    edited November 2023
    Scratching my head, "where the bloody hell is the ground?" and Google Maps has just jogged the memory. It also shows how detached I am from the area now. I spent my childhood not one quarter of a mile from it, mum worked in the office of what was called the Wadham Stringers garage next door in the 70's.  I lived in Middle Park in the 90's!!!
    Blimey, that's where it is...

Tell Golfie I'll meet him next to The Quaggy, and I have bolt cutters if he has the scaling ladder?
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Somethings gonna go wrong with this, and it will be switched to a neutral ground... Welling/Dartford maybe...🤷‍♂️
  • Options
    edited November 2023
    Scratching my head, "where the bloody hell is the ground?" and Google Maps has just jogged the memory. It also shows how detached I am from the area now. I spent my childhood not one quarter of a mile from it, mum worked in the office of what was called the Wadham Stringers garage next door in the 70's.  I lived in Middle Park in the 90's!!!
    Blimey, that's where it is...
    Bloody hell, small world, I worked at Wadham Stringers (AKA Cliftons pre takeover) in the early 70's
  • Options
    Somethings gonna go wrong with this, and it will be switched to a neutral ground, maybe Welling/Dartford maybe...🤷‍♂️
    Got to agree. Whilst it would certainly be 'the magic of the cup' if it could be held there, i don't honestly see how it's feasible in a ground that holds less than 1k.
  • Options
    Greenwich Council’s measuring tools.

• Options
    I worked at Cliftons one summer holiday, must have been about 1972. My aunt Joyce worked on the forecourt till. Always remember a couple of lorry drivers that filled up there always gave us some fruit off the back of their lorry. Think my uncle worked in the workshops across the road. 
  • Options
    From some-one who went to their ground lunchtime. They are planning on playing it there but it will be Wednesday not Tuesday