Attention: Please take a moment to consider our terms and conditions before posting.

Match Preview: Charlton Athletic vs Cray Valley Paper Mills | Sunday 5th November 2023 - 5:30pm KO

Comments

• edited November 2023
    I think the Cray Valley approach will be to play as a team and give everything they can, be robust and competitive. They will try to maintain the structure they agree, hope that any player who has some ability has a special game, they will try to utilise their height advantage, the battering ram centre forward Freddie is a big bloke, as is their balding centre half and his playing partner so they will have practiced set pieces.
    I think they will be very competitive going for the second ball, I think we should not give them those opportunities, if we keep the ball and move it around swiftly we might bamboozle them.
    Cray Valley are not complete mugs by any means, and if we don’t show due respect we could come a cropper.
  • edited November 2023
    We should comfortably win today with fitness levels playing there part as the game goes on so we’ll probably scrape a draw before being knocked out in the replay.
  • I would like to see us start a near full strength side to get control of the game and then start withdrawing them, rather than the reverse which what usually happens as we conspire to cock-it-up.
    Going to the match, so would also like to see the same but I would imagine it’s going to be a very weekend side that we put out. 
  • Is this our most local competitive fixture ever?
  • With the clocks having changed this is a 1;30am kickoff, the risk of absolutely ruining my week watching struggle to draw 1-1 is just too much for me

I think I’ll hope for the best and try and sleep :(
  • This really should be a formality. I’m sure we’ll rest a few players but anything less than 3 - 0 won’t be a good look.
  • I’m having to record this as I’m attending a memorial service for my friends daughter who recently died from MND.

I hope it’s a good game.

COYR!
  • AndyG said:
    With the clocks having changed this is a 1;30am kickoff, the risk of absolutely ruining my week watching struggle to draw 1-1 is just too much for me

I think I’ll hope for the best and try and sleep :(
    Mate where is your commitment? Some people are missing their Sunday lunch for this and you cant be bothered to stay awake all night ! 😂 
    I also missed last weekend as I took a 20 hour round trip to Hanoi for a rave xD 
  • Sponsored links:

• I would like to see us start a near full strength side to get control of the game and then start withdrawing them, rather than the reverse which what usually happens as we conspire to cock-it-up.
    This. 
  • Out with my brother in law last night. He used to go to watch Greenwich Borough, who were illegally evicted by Crsy Valley PM. which led directly to Greenwich going bankrupt. He said he hopes we stuff them!
  • Getting back to previewing the game, I'm expecting it to be a scrappy affair with us just shading it 5-1. 
  • Out with my brother in law last night. He used to go to watch Greenwich Borough, who were illegally evicted by Crsy Valley PM. which led directly to Greenwich going bankrupt. He said he hopes we stuff them!
    So CVPM play where Greenwich Borough / Ian Wright used to play?

How did they evict them, if they did? 

No idea. From what I gathered,  Greenwich turned up to train one day and found the gates locked and all their gear in the street.
  • Back in the day I thought Greenwich Borough used to play at Sutcliffe Park where Wrighty played, no?
  • RedChaser said:
    Back in the day I thought Greenwich Borough used to play at Sutcliffe Park where Wrighty played, no?
    Yes. It has been built on now. 
    As have the old park football changing rooms. Played a lot of Sunday league games there, and we forked out for the pitches which I swear weren’t tended, or marked out from September to May.

No, Greenwich Borough, from memory, used to play opposite the old Yorkshire Grey.
  • Sponsored links:

No, Greenwich Borough, from memory, used to play opposite the old Yorkshire Grey.
    I thought that as well. 
  • RedChaser said:
    Back in the day I thought Greenwich Borough used to play at Sutcliffe Park where Wrighty played, no?
    'I'm not sure if this is the same place as I mentioned?
  • Badgers and the old Greenwich Borough grounds are in two different locations.
    Probably a five minute walk between them.

So Sutcliffe Park...🤔
  • seth plum said:
    Badgers and the old Greenwich Borough grounds are in two different locations.
    Which begs the question as to how & why CVPM illegally evicted Greenwich Borough (if they did). 

So Sutcliffe Park...🤔

Fair play, I was not sure of the name of the ground.
  • I’m having to record this as I’m attending a memorial service for my friends daughter who recently died from MND.

I hope it’s a good game.

COYR!
    Do not forget, sound only, no pictures
  • seth plum said:
    Badgers and the old Greenwich Borough grounds are in two different locations.
    Which begs the question as to how & why CVPM illegally evicted Greenwich Borough (if they did). 
    I don’t know the full story.
    Maybe Greenwich Borough relocated to Badgers when the Sutcliffe park development happened, along with that park being designed as a flood plain.
    In the last war the whole area round there I think used to be called ‘Ninefields’ and there was an RAF station there I believe.
  • RedChaser said:
    Originally played at The Rectory Field, Blackheath
  • Gillingham away next…